Mini 740 - Communiqu├® Mafia 2: Game Over and the Winner is..

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #705 (isolation #0) » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:41 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Hey all. Sorry didn't realize night was over. I'm more active during the week. Anyways, I replaced ecto during the night, and I didn't send any message last night. Having just replaced in, I'm a little confused with how this game works and I didn't really know what to say.

Anyways, someone tell me who's scummiest so I know who to vote for today :P

Any questions for me?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #721 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Juls wrote:
Any questions for me?
Have you read the thread? Lots of information from D1 you might want to check out.
I've read most of the thread. I've been rather busy lately and replaced into 2 games at the same time, so trying to get caught up in 2 games. Anyways, enough excuses. I've been paying the closest attention to your posts, actually, because I noticed you seemed to suspect Ecto pretty heavily yesterday. I'm also not sure about your claim at this point, considering your fake claim in WaTR mafia was pretty decent (even thought I still decided to vig you :P), but I guess your claim mostly makes sense here after reading.

Still trying to decide the best course of action for today. It'll take a couple more rereads before I can get a good grasp of everything that happened D1.
Budja wrote:@Rhinox. hohum ought to have some question for you soon.
waiting...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #732 (isolation #2) » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:19 am

Post by Rhinox »

Juls wrote:OK, so I guess I have given Rhinox ample time. I am a bit curious why you haven't said anything. I sent Rhinox the package last night. He should have received SOME sort of something last night that would indicate he got my package. I sent it to Rhinox because I thought ectomancer was the most scummy. Now that he is doubting my claim AND not confirming my role I am really heavily thinking Rhinox is scum.

(Just an FYI, I haven't read the rest of the posts between my last one and Rhinox's...I am a little swamped right now).
Juls, if I had recieved any package last night, I would know that you knew you sent it to me, so how would it help me as scum to hide it from you/the town? I also never said I doubted your claim - just that I wasn't sure because this game seems to have unusual roles, and you made a decent fake claim in the last game we were in together. Here is what I actually said:
Rhinox wrote:I've been paying the closest attention to your posts, actually, because I noticed you seemed to suspect Ecto pretty heavily yesterday. I'm also not sure about your claim at this point, considering your fake claim in WaTR mafia was pretty decent (even thought I still decided to vig you ),
but I guess your claim mostly makes sense here after reading.
In all honesty, I don't really suspect you much at all. But I know ecto's allignment, and I know how much you suspected him yesterday, so it seemed prudent to make sure there wasn't any malitious intent in your suspicion of ecto. My conclusion is that you genuinely suspected him. Now I just have to go about undoing the damage ecto has caused to the impression of my allignment.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #738 (isolation #3) » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:47 am

Post by Rhinox »

Budja wrote:
Casey wrote: So Juls claims to have sent a package to Rhinox and Rhinox didn't receive it?
^ Can you confirm if this is indeed the case, rhinox.
At this point, the cat is basically out of the bag and it seems better to come clean on my gambit.

I received a 1-shot communique that could be used at any time, day or night, in addition to the normal 1 day/1 night communiques. I didn't announce it right away because there was no way I could be sure it was actually the gift from juls, or if I just received it randomly (there was some talk of that being possible), or if I acquired it through some other method. That is why I didn't respond immediately to Juls request in #670.

For example, for all I know Juls could have been scum and received a random extra communique at the start of D1 (Thus knowing, or expecting, that someone else would receive a random extra communique the next day). By claiming her role as she did, she could claim to have sent a package to whoever randomly received the extra communique today. So instead of just blurting out what I received, I was intentionally "playing dumb" to try to see if I could draw out any hints from Juls to see if she would sort of soft reveal that she sent something to me. That explains the post I made in #705.

In #707, Juls gave me the hint I was looking for. I suspected she was nudging me to read the thread to make sure I read her request in #670, because she did indeed send me a package last night. I still wasn't sure what to do though... I knew I could confirm Juls role, but not fully understanding the mechanics of a no-reveal game, I thought it might be better to not confirm a town role with an ability unless that player became under threat of being lynched. I suspect that even a confirmed vanilla townie becomes a nk target in a no reveal game, in order to try to choke the town of information.

So I decided to send the communique to Juls (codeword: asterisk) letting her know what I knew, and made post #721. I didn't expect, however, that Juls would respond so quickly in #722 before the mod was able to send her my communique. The timestamp for when I sent the communique to the mod is 'Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:50 pm' - 17 minutes before Juls post #722. Just wanted to point out that I did send the communique before Juls' reveal, and not as a result to try to cover anything up.

Mod: are you able to confirm the timestamp for when I sent the communique to Juls? If not, is it within the rules to take a screenshot of my PM sentbox and post in the thread?

Regardless, the fact that Juls confirmed that she sent me the package before she received my communique confirms Juls' role to me 100%. It does not, however, confirm her allignment - but as she was hopefully able to discern from a 20-word communique, I'm definately leaning more to her being town.

As a sidenote, I used the codeword: 'asterisk' because a couple games ago, I began experimenting by inserting an intentional typo '*' when I was gambiting. The plan is to get this established just enough in my meta that in certain situations, I will be able to signal to players that I trust that 'something is up, things are not as they seem, I'm gambiting just go with it'. In WaTR mafia, which I referenced a couple times, I used the '*' typo signal. I was hoping juls might remember, but I think she was dead before I used it so I'm not sure if she was still reading along.

All this being out in the open now, I'm still at a loss of what to do. The only things I know are 1) BSG was probably town, and 2) Juls is probably town. I have no idea really about roffman, and I don't know the best place to look today. I need to reread the whole thread again, because its hard to retain all the information in the first couple reads, and many of the players in this game are also in the other game I replaced into, so I'm having some issues with keeping the 2 games separate in my head.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #745 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:11 am

Post by Rhinox »

Got the message Juls.

Are we sure this number code message passing thing is within the spirit of the game though?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #767 (isolation #5) » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:42 am

Post by Rhinox »

dj wrote: i want to do some rereading when i get the chance. are we sure that juls didn't send the communique to roffman yesterday. her role does sound rather contrived...
positive thats not the case. Look at the situation:

-Juls thought ecto was scummiest yesterday
-Juls claimed; after discussion and speculation, the town though it would be best for juls to send the package to whoever she thought was scummiest in case it was a bomb.
-Ecto/I recieved the package - the 1-shot communique.
-I can 100% confirm juls sent me the communique because she posted that she sent it to me before I told her or anyone else that I had received anything.

"Why wasn't Juls RBed?" - easy answer: scum knew juls was going to target whoever she thought was scummiest, consensus was that it could kill the target, and scum knows ecto/Rhinox isn't scum. Also, given that the nature of the game being no-reveal, balance is already in favor of the scum. There might not be a RB. "Why wasn't Juls killed?" - if her package would have killed ecto/Me, there was a good chance she could have gotten mislynched today as an sk.

Also, I can prove Juls' role by sending a second communique to someone today, as I've already sent 1 to juls. At that point, you will all either have to believe that Juls and I are scum working together (unlikely if you consider all the interaction between Juls and ecto, and juls and I early today), or that Juls role ability is confirmed and probably her town allignment as well, even if it means I could still be scum who received her communique package.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #775 (isolation #6) » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Post by Rhinox »

PhilyEc wrote:I know your night phase was long but I'd have loved a response from
them
before you devoured my hypothesis <_<' Now the new guy has nothing to go on.
Trying to pull the newbie card?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #779 (isolation #7) » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:42 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Budja wrote:I told you the relevant parts of day 1. :roll:
Sometimes its better if players would determine what is relevant for themselves.

Phily, I read your wiki. Is it true you're currently playing in over 10 ongoing games concurrently? Its not my place to tell you how many games you should play at a time, but I'm not going to sympathize with you for not having the time or attention span to read through the thread when you're in so many ongoing games.

I mean, I get it. I replaced in too, and this game felt like a chore to read through. But I've done it. More than once now actually, and I'm still trying to put the pieces together. And I'm only in 2 ongoings.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #780 (isolation #8) » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Post by Rhinox »

PhilyEc wrote:No you didnt O_o
FWIW, yeah, he did. Or, rather, he gave you his interpretation of what he felt was relevant.
Budja wrote:Most of day 1 is easy to read and you can just skim it. The big points are the com-burning plan, no-lynch discussion and roff lying.

Also, I did mean theory.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #789 (isolation #9) » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:46 am

Post by Rhinox »

so... now what? sit here until a deadline is imposed and then rush to lynch anybody before a no-lynch?

In a no-reveal game, when there seems to be no leads and activity grinds to a halt (like now >_>), is simply voting to no-lynch a reasonable play?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #795 (isolation #10) » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:26 am

Post by Rhinox »

hohum was just replaced in another game I'm in...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #841 (isolation #11) » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:53 am

Post by Rhinox »

Answering Prod. Post coming later today. Apologies..
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #842 (isolation #12) » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

ok. got some time.

firstly, about the mason claim. dumb move, IMO. firstly, this game is no reveal. Your role can't be confirmed upon your death, your partner can't confirm you, and you can't be confirmed upon your partner's death. You've basically just claimed vanilla and told the scum who not to nk. Unless of course, you're gambitting and you're actually a PR. OR, unless you're scum. In any case, that was about the most anti-town thing to do right now.

Secondly, I would like to bring up the idea for serious discussion this time of a no-lynch. Activity is down, due to the fact that there aren't really any strong cases and no leads to go on. I think by this point, if any town players had any strong suspicions of anyone, the cases would have been presented by now. It is my wifom belief that scum are more likely on D2 to wait around for the town players to make bad cases, rather than try to start cases against town players. Problem is, town hasn't made any cases at all today, and the result is deafening silence. At this point, I expect new cases to be more likely presented by scum trying to start a mislynch under the looming deadline under the guise of attempting to jumpstart activity - I just don't see any town player sitting on a case all day, only to present it after a deadline has been set. Unlike a normal game, I don't see the benefit in a NR to lynch for the sake of lynching.

So... no lynch yay or nay?

----------------------------------------

Also, this does ironically bring up a new angle of discussion. Budja, why the vote on skitzer?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #850 (isolation #13) » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:03 am

Post by Rhinox »

hey coug! long time no see. Welcome to the game :)

How much of the thread have you read? I consider Juls to be nearly 100% confirmed town - I think most others are leaning that way as well.

On the other hand, people have been suspicious of hohum, and I can see scum replacing into this situation and trying to pressure Juls and force her to reveal all the information the town has been entrusting to her.

In any case, you will not find any support from me for a juls wagon/lynch - in fact, I am entirely opposed to it and will fight it tooth and nail.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #886 (isolation #14) » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:17 am

Post by Rhinox »

coug - DJ has a good point. What about masons unbalances the game? The way I see it, its just two players who can night talk. Can't confirm each other due to the no reveal. With the use of the codex stuff, we can day talk as much as we want to whoever we sent messages to or received them from. As juls and DJ pointed out, since DJ told juls his partner in private, his partner can come forward. Lot of good that does though, as it either means they're telling the truth or they're both scum. Same thing would happen had DJ not sent juls anything and DJ's mason partner came forward on his/her own.

All that being said, unless you know the setup, you don't know what balance a mason pair brings.
coug wrote:The answer is simple. Experience playing Mafia. I have not seen a mini game that has had three Mafia goons, an SK, and a compulsive vigilante, for example—that's unbalanced against the town if not swingy. (I've run a game with three Mafia, an SK, and a one-shot vig, and I didn't like the end result.) As another example, there's a game I've played as scum with a lot of investigative roles that I was lynched in because my fakeclaim did not fit, and that was a normal.
I don't see the relevance of this paragraph. The examples you give do nothing to show how a mason pair unbalances the game in favor of the town. All this is, is one big appeal to authority. Why are you trying to get us to believe that you're so much smartner than us, and we should just accept what you say as law?

DJ - if you read the last sentence of my first paragraph in this post, you'll see how silly your "breach of trust" argument really is. It doesn't matter if you told juls who your partner is or not, Similarly, it doesn't matter that juls told us that you told her who your partner was. Thus, your little temper tantrum and vote on juls looks pretty scummy to me.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #888 (isolation #15) » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:56 am

Post by Rhinox »

coug wrote:Everybody has a communiqué that they can use during the day, and my role gives me good reason to believe that most if not all of us also have a night communiqué. Isn't that enough opportunity for town to legally talk outside of the game?
-----------------------
I think mason swings it too much in communiqué.
Let me try to explain this another way. Suppose you love to swim, and you live near the ocean. You're of godlike fitness, so you can swim as much as you want to in the ocean without the worry of drowning or less than ideal conditions. One day, somebody says to you coug, "I'm going to build you a swimming pool right there on the beach so you can swim all you want." That'd be a little redundent, and wouldn't necessarily help you swim any more than you already could, right? The ocean is the communiques. A mason pair would be the swimming pool.

What I mean is, in this game, I've sent a communique to juls and, oh hohum, which is you. I've also received a communique from Dorvaan. So basically, I have day mason abilities with all 3 of you without even having to use communiques, by using a codex. To show you what I mean, apply this codex to the message that ectomancer (me) sent to hohum (you) on Feb. 9:

29-9-36-31-6-10-21-25-26-39-7-45

(count the letters only, skip all spaces and punctuation.)

So you see, we have an ocean of communiques available to us. Whats an extra swimming pool of a mason pair going to do to swing it to much in communique? If anything, I say a mason pair is neutral to anti town in setup. We either ignore the claim and pretend its a vanilla claim (neutral), or we try to discern if they're both town or both scum (anti-town because if we decide one is scum, then both are scum and vice versa - so if we discern wrong, the mistake is magnified by 2)

And the point of all this is you're currently voting DJ because you think his mason claim is not believable because a mason pair would shift the balance too far in favor of the town. Regardless of what I think of DJ right now, I think this is horrible logic, per my explanation to the contrary, and makes me question your motives for going after him.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #903 (isolation #16) » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:22 pm

Post by Rhinox »

ITT, the ratio of gals to guys impresses me

:P

Welcome Izzy. Enjoy the readthrough. Its one of the more pleasant and interesting game reads I've had as a replacement.

@coug: that was a painful codex to decipher. :P you were also off on at least 1 letter, unless we have a new character named don johnsoa ;)

anyways, since anybody can go through the torture of figuring out the question you asked me, my answer is I'm just not sure about don and his mason claim. I can't see any scum benefits from claiming when he did, but then again, I can't openly see how his claim helps the town either. Only two possible pro-town explanations are either A) he's a PR gambiting, or B) he's protecting his mason partner who might have been one of the players under pressure.

Of course, the problem is this is no reveal and they can't confirm each other. So, it would come down to whether or not we trust him and his claim enough to not lynch him or his partner, or if we think we found 2 scum.

Gut tells me that the risk is too great for scum-don to fake claim mason, so he's probably being honest. I still think it was a bad claim though because its basically a vanilla role that scum aren't going to nk.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #931 (isolation #17) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:02 am

Post by Rhinox »

casey wrote: I tried to do the codex thing quick, but I'll have to figure it out later because when I tried it, the first few letters were gibberish.
*sigh*
Juls wrote: OK here are my codex's. I have some questions in some of them.
And some of them won't even make any sense but I included everyone to disguise who I am really sending messages to. So if yours doesn't make sense play along.

*headdesk* @ casey...

-----

deciphering mine now.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #933 (isolation #18) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:20 am

Post by Rhinox »

Juls wrote:*sigh*....Casey...you
SHOULD try again
. Do you understand what you are doing?

Draw a table on a piece of paper to help you.
I use microsoft excel. Works well, after typing out the whole message letter by letter in individual cells.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #936 (isolation #19) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:16 am

Post by Rhinox »

Juls wrote:Yeah...I did too Rhinox but I didn't want to confuse the matter. Actually, putting it in Word first, adding spaces, and then converting the text to a space-delimited table before sending it to excel makes life very easy.
<3 Can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip.

Finally deciphered the codex. I'll send one back later.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #941 (isolation #20) » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:52 am

Post by Rhinox »

Juls:

70-8-10(+1)-3-4-19-17-35-55-47-57-30-78(+1)-50(+1)-88
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #947 (isolation #21) » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:24 am

Post by Rhinox »

Flameaxe wrote:This all seems rather silly, just saying.
What, exactly, is silly?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #955 (isolation #22) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:24 am

Post by Rhinox »

Well...

today just got easy.

vote: flameaxe
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #959 (isolation #23) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:37 am

Post by Rhinox »

Two reasons why I'm voting flame

1) the self vote

2) only scum would get frustrated that the town can pass messages through codex. I don't see a single reason a townie would get frustrated by it.

For these two reasons, its a done deal. Flame is scum.

@don: you couldn't confirm flame's allignment to the rest of us even if he was confirmed to you. Would you mind summarizing any conversation you and your mason partners have had in the game?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #965 (isolation #24) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:41 am

Post by Rhinox »

What is so confusing about this?
A lot, actually. I have no idea what you 2 are talking about.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #986 (isolation #25) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Post by Rhinox »

in referring to "lovers" i mean that i cannot confirm my partners alignment.
The term you're looking for is "neighbors". Lovers means one dies, you both die.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1000 (isolation #26) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:08 am

Post by Rhinox »

flameaxe wrote:Budja: As I've asked in thread to other people, please outline why a self-vote is so scummy. "Because." is not an acceptable answer.
The reason its scummy is simple and obvious. A vote is a declaration that you want to see the target lynched. You self voted. Either its an admission of guilt, or you're voting to lynch someone you know to be town.

The latter goes against your win condition, so I automatically assume no town player would ever purposefully act against their win condition. Thus, you're either scum try to cause a rukus, or townie who is actively trying to work against the town. Either way, thats lynchworthy to me. Ridding the town of players intentionally trying to hurt the town is just as good as lynching scum.

Regarding being frustrated over the codex, thats like being frustrated over the basic mechanics of the game (sending secret private messages through communique). The codex is just a loophole that has been deemed legal that allows unlimited day communication to any player we have previously exchanged communiques with, either sent or received. Thats a powerful tool for the town. Your reaction seems to me that you're scum who is pissed that the town discovered this loophole and is using it to their advantage. Otherwise, what are you even playing this game for?

I also don't like your rant against juls. Why is she so unconfirmed to you, and why do you think she's scummy?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1002 (isolation #27) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

Juls wrote:
Budja wrote:@Juls, why the unvote? Was you vote not serious?
It was OMGUS as stated IN my post. I am kinda glad I did it though because I agree with don...it seems very scum driven. I really want to hear from PhilyEc before I vote no lynch though...still waiting.
If you think the wagon was scum motivated, then we should be looking at coug and budja because their votes on flame seemed most suspect IMO.

I loathe self-voters, but a bigger tell IMO is flames frustration over the codex. Thats my main reason for my vote.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1009 (isolation #28) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:33 am

Post by Rhinox »

I consider all votes serious, even in the random stage. Suppose I random vote on someone, and then a page later the player is quicklynched before I check the thread again, I don't get a pass from being on the wagon even though my vote was initially random. Every time I place a vote, I expect that the target could get lynched, and if I'm not ok with that, I don't place the vote. I expect every town player should have that same ideology. Therefore, placing a self vote means your ok with your own lynch occuring, even if its not your intention per say to lynch yourself.

My other assumption is that players will always play to attempt to fulfill their win condition. Theres no way your self vote helps fulfil your town win condition. On the other hand, self voting causes controversy, confusion, and distractions. In that way, self voting fulfills a scum agenda. If you're town and you self vote, you're intentionally working against your wincon, and those are the types of players I would rather lynch - a townie intentionally trying to prevent the town from winning is just as bad if not worse than a scum.

So you see, the conclusion I draw through my logic is that all players who self vote at any time should be lynched on sight.

Of course, I realize you were just being an ass trying to make some kind of point. This is me hopping up on my soapbox to throw your point right back in your face.

On to the more serious issue, the issue over your view on the codexs. This quote expresses extreme frustration to me:
flame wrote:Amazing reaction there. I don't know about you people, but I don't really enjoy this many people sending communiques to one person (a truly unconfirmed person for that matter), and thus,
your code can shove it.
But lets say I misunderstood and this was your way of pointing out that the codexs are silly. Why are they silly? Do you think the communiques are silly as well? (hint - they're basically the same thing). You say you don't like all that information going to one person, but what I see is potential scum worried that there is a town player who might be able to bust the game wide open. Oh, by the way, how is not the bolded part above a rejection of answering the codex? This was really the only negative reaction to the codex since its started. I've been looking hard, because I would expect scum to try to dissuade the use of codex, considering how helpful to the town they are. There were a couple other interesting reactions to the codex. more on this at the end.

On to juls - no, nobody is ever 100% confirmed. However, I disagree with you on this not being a game of trust, specifically due to the no reveal mechanic. Right now I trust Juls. I don't really trust anybody else. There will always be a risk, but I'm confident in my opinion of juls. Without trust in a no reveal game, it would basically come down to luck for the town. What I don't like, is that your top suspect (Juls) is the player I consider to be 99% town, and your reason for suspecting her is nothing more than gut.

--------------------------

Juls: got message.

18-37-12-26-19-31-32-23-24-30-20-13-36-27-45-8-31-70-86-83-89-71-55-90-94-69-65-15-10(+1)-47-27-44-87-32-8
--------------------------

I mentioned I noticed an interesting reaction to the codex use. Back in page 30-something, I asked the mod to confirm that using codex was legal. He did. Afterwords, Budja posted this:
Budja wrote:Interesting, you do realise we could use easily use codes to communicate between two people as much as they like providing they share the text of one communique.

Decoding messages is alright but something tells me you wouldn't like us to do this.
I remember thinking to myself, Why would town try to argue to disallow using codex after the mod explained it was allowable? Budja, feel free to answer.

unvote
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1013 (isolation #29) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:01 am

Post by Rhinox »

ya know whats idiotic? Intentionally acting scummy to "draw out reactions", and then calling those who reacted scummy.
flame wrote:Fun fact: You said I was frustrated BEFORE I made the quote that you have posted. So try again please.
ORLY?

your post I quoted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:30 pm, post 949, page 38

When I first mentioned the word "frustrated": Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:37 am, post 959, page 39
flame wrote:Whoa, whoa whoa. Don't fucking put words in my mouth buddy. I never said Juls was my top suspect at all. Hell, she isn't even in the top half right now.
So why did you want to vote for her, instead of self voting? Why would you want to vote someone who is not even in the top half of your suspects?
flame wrote:Apparently, disagreement makes me scum.
Textbook strawman defense. Wiki it.
flame wrote:Your logic is terrible, and completely policy. Policy on day 2-end is terrible, terrible play. You have your head too far up your ass to understand this though.
More straw man. My vote on you wasn't entirely for the self-vote. It was the entire package combination of the self vote, the frustration over codex, and the attack on Juls.

However, When is policy a good play? Why is policy on day-2 end a terrible play? Would you call it your
policy?

flame wrote:And for the record, my wish to vote her the last page was NOT gut, and it WAS based on those reaction things that came from the terrible terrible self-vote (omg hide!).
ORLY?
flame wrote:If Juls wants to ask me a question, feel free to ask my in thread. I won't be dealing with an idiotic codex. It's wasting time and completely delaying the game.
Honestly, I havent had any good feelings about her the entire game
, I'm sorry if you don't feel the same way.
Unspecified "no good feelings" = gut feeling
flame wrote:NO ONE is ever confirmed.
I've just had strange feelings about her (aka, my wonderful gut) mainly most of this day.
Unless I get solid evidence of my own, I won't be considering anyone confirmed. This isn't exactly a game of trust, you know.
Pretty obvious here.

Anyways, since you're the self-proclaimed savior of the game, why don't you tell us who it is you DO think is scum and try actually making a case.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1015 (isolation #30) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:56 am

Post by Rhinox »

Reacting in a scummy way...is scummy? You're a fucking retard.
So now you're a hypocrite?

I consider self voting scummy. I will always react this way when I'm town (which means I will always react this way regardless of my allignment). You disagree with me that self voting is scummy. So, you think I'm scummy because you disagree with me.

According to your logic, anybody who reacts to your self-vote by calling it scummy is scum. Thats what "fucking retarded".
Saying something was dumb still isn't frustrated. I don't have to agree to do anything in this game. I'm not going to do something because some silly person thinks its a good idea. That isn't frustrated.
Have you used any communiques? do you think they are dumb and silly as well? What is the difference between a communique message and a codex message?

Seems to me you are either scum pissed off at the town for finding a codex loophole, and thus you're trying to subvert it, or you're just too lazy to spend a couple minutes deciphering to use a powerful tool the town has available. "I don't have to agree to do anything in this game." doesn't sound like the mentality of a town player.
I'm using your logic exactly how you are. I'm sorry for that, but it's hardly strawmanning.
No, its most definately a strawman. My vote on you had zero to do with disagreeing with you, and you misrepresent that fact by stating "Apparently, disagreement makes me scum."

So... Textbook Strawman.
Did I say I gave those reasons? (The answer is no)
Then you really need to work on your communication skills....
flame wrote:
Rhinox wrote:I also don't like your rant against juls. Why is she so unconfirmed to you, and why do you think she's scummy?
NO ONE is ever confirmed. I've just had strange feelings about her (aka, my wonderful gut) mainly most of this day. Unless I get solid evidence of my own, I won't be considering anyone confirmed. This isn't exactly a game of trust, you know.
...because when I ask you why Juls is scummy, and you answer "strange feelings and gut", silly me I actually believe that you wanted to vote Juls because of strange feelings and gut! :roll:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1021 (isolation #31) » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:35 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Juls, there were a few typos in the translation - I can't comprehend the whole message message. Sorry :(
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1025 (isolation #32) » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:56 am

Post by Rhinox »

got it. crystal clear. thanks.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1045 (isolation #33) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

Casey wrote: Since no lynch is said to be a bad idea, I'll vote for anyone but Juls.
:shock: ORLY?

I think I'm coming around to the idea of lynching Casey...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1056 (isolation #34) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:58 am

Post by Rhinox »

skitzer wrote:I'm here

I need to look at that sudden Flameaxe case: I don't like how it just rose and then disappeared.
Kinda like how flameaxe just rose and then disappeared... :roll:

And I agree with coug, despite what flameaxe has to say about it.
budja wrote:I would like a vote on Flameaxe or Skitzer at the moment. I cannot defend myself from the process of elimination and other players relying on Juls "gut".
Why skitzer?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1063 (isolation #35) » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:17 am

Post by Rhinox »

coug wrote:Of the other people I've suspected of being scum, roffman has already been lynched; I know what I am (I thought hohum was scummy before I picked up his role); something's wrong in my mind with simultaneously trusting and voting Juls;
my suspicions of Rhinox have all involved specific scumbuddy connections, which is void if none of them exist
; and Rhinox blew up my only case on you, which was for the claim.
I'm wondering if you would mind expanding on this a bit.

I'm just wondering how many "If
[player x]
is scum, then Rhinox is scum" scenarios you have prepared. If you pool enough players for "player x", statistacally one of them is bound to be scum.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1071 (isolation #36) » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:52 am

Post by Rhinox »

swing as in swing from a noose

(at least thats how I took it)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1074 (isolation #37) » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:24 am

Post by Rhinox »

Well, I do agree with don that the game seems to be dragging. The more it drags, the less confident I am becoming in any case, and the more likely I am to agree that a no lynch is looking like best option

I currently don't see a case worth lynching right now. I think it would be a good idea for anyone who feels otherwise to post a summary of there case and why in their next post. Absent of a good case, or good discussion that stems from someone's case summary, I think I will be laying my vote down for a no lynch soon.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1085 (isolation #38) » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:53 am

Post by Rhinox »

vote: no lynch

Nobody pushing strongly for any case does not leave me with much confidence of lynching scum today.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1092 (isolation #39) » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:04 pm

Post by Rhinox »

maybe he just doesn't like you
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1102 (isolation #40) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:59 am

Post by Rhinox »

Juls wrote:Typically a no lynch takes only 50% is that not the case here dahill?
I never heard of that before. :shrug:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1112 (isolation #41) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:27 am

Post by Rhinox »

Good luck to you both!

I remember finals... those were the days...

I managed to show up an hour late for my physics finals 2 years in a row! Yes, even with the same professor... Good thing my nice professors gave us 3 hrs to complete a 1 hr test ;)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1114 (isolation #42) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Juls wrote:@Rhinox: I had a bit of a panic myself when the power went out before I left and I couldn't figure out how to get out of the garage! Thank goodness for smart husbands!
hehe my fiance would agree with you... I've had to rescue her car from the garage a few times when the power went out.

Good luck with the calc... 1 of my best subjects. Which course (calc 1, 2, or 3)? 2 is the toughest, but not too bad.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1116 (isolation #43) » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:23 pm

Post by Rhinox »

She can if you thought you were hammering :P

Anyways, back to game discussion, because the conspiracy theorist in me is tingling...

Juls, why did you want us to wait before ending today? Seems like you could have welcomed a 3 (give or take) day break from game activity while night played out. Sending your claimed night action only takes seconds, so why the need to be done with your finals before going to night?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1280 (isolation #44) » Tue May 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Post by Rhinox »

stands up.

*applauds*

Can't believe you guys broke the codex - I tried so hard to make sure I never repeated a number in a message. So, lemme get this straight. You knew what 1-9 was because you correctly guessed the first 2 words, and you figured out that the largest number was a k and part of "skitzer", and allowed you to fill in the numbers for codeword: asterisk... *facepalm*

Juls played great this game. I was a little worried after I was nked that Juls was playing me, but she was so damn convincing about it. :P Good job nailing budja. After you pointed it out to me, it was painfully obvious.

Obviously, I feel like a failure in my role as cop... I replaced in at night, and rushed my investigation choice due to the deadline. It was a horrible choice.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1285 (isolation #45) » Wed May 20, 2009 1:50 am

Post by Rhinox »

Juls wrote:
Juls played great this game.
It's like being at the 18th hole with a one-shot lead and slicing into the rough. I hate golf but it was the first analogy that comes to mind!
hehe nice analogy... I just went golfing last night - I slice into the rough a lot! Most frustrating game ever...

As a general note on the game, I like the communique aspect, and it even works with the no reveal, but not if communiques could be intercepted by scum. Its too punishing to the town, IMO. Either all communiques should be 100% secure, or the game should have death reveals so that the town is not entirely dependant on sharing known information through communique. Maybe if all players are told that communiques may be intercepted by the opposite faction it would be better. That way, even if there aren't any intercepting roles, the town will still be more careful about what they share in the messages.

By the way, Casey/Budja: did you guys manage to break any of the other codexes, or just mine and Juls?

All in all though, it was a fun game, I'm glad I replaced in, and I don't think the game really dragged too much. I'd play a similar game again.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1290 (isolation #46) » Wed May 20, 2009 10:59 am

Post by Rhinox »

StrangerCoug wrote:Damn, the Mafia were good code crackers!
yeah... I was in awe reading the quicktopic. I wouldn't have spent half the energy even trying that.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”