Mini 1598: Mafia with a Twist 1 - The OK Corral (Over!)

Wolfy
Wolfy
Goon
Wolfy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #900 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:34 pm

Post by Wolfy »

well played ika - I would have been pushing for you if you hadn't killed me.
leviathan - i'd really like to know why you fake claimed - what the fuck did you hope to achieve?
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #901 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:22 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

Oh Thesp can I pre-in for the next one?
To be clear: quack
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #902 (ISO) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:42 pm

Post by Klazam »

In post 901, SleepyKrew wrote:Oh Thesp can I pre-in for the next one?
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #903 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:38 am

Post by Thesp »

Denouement

As promised:

Mafia Private Thread
Dead Thread

Thanks everyone for playing! I hope you enjoyed it. I see several people have already requested pre-/ins for the next one, which is flattering! If you wish to pre-/in for Mafia with a Twist 2, please PM me your desire to do so. I will save all such PMs, and the first 6 will have a slot reserved, and the remainder will be notified when the game is approaching signups so as to give you a warning to jump on it as soon as it opens. ;)

Setup

It was indeed 10 townies and 3 mafia, with no special abilities, other than the N1 mass vig, which no one was made aware of prior to the game. Role PMs were generated with code substantially similar to that in the spoiler below:

Spoiler: Role PM Generator Code

Code: Select all

from random import shuffle

PM_HEADING = """>>>>>>>>>>ROLE PM for {player}<<<<<<<<<<
Subject: Mafia {game_number} - Mafia with a Twist 1: Title to be Revealed - ROLE PM"""

TOWNIE_PM = """Hello, {player}! Here is your Role PM for [url={game_url}]Mini {game_number} - Mafia with a Twist 1: Title to be Revealed[/url].

You are a [b]Townie[/b]. Your only power is that of the all-important vote, so use it well!

You win when the Mafia have been killed.

Please confirm via reply PM, telling me what happens at the deadline of any day. (This is how I ensure you have at least glanced at my rules.) The game will begin after all players have responded, and at least 72 hours have passed, in order to allow night-talking groups to communicate before the game.

"""

MAFIA_PM = """Hello, {player}! Here is your Role PM for [url={game_url}]Mini {game_number} - Mafia with a Twist 1: Title to be Revealed[/url].

You are a [b]Mafia Goon[/b], along with {ally1} and {ally2}. Each night you may talk with each other in [url={private_url}]this Hidden Private Thread[/url], and one of you can send me a PM with another player's name for an intended nightkill. As long as no one stops you, that player will be killed that night. 

You win when all non-Mafia players have been killed, or when nothing can prevent the same.

Please confirm via reply PM, telling me what happens at the deadline of any day. (This is how I ensure you have at least glanced at my rules.) The game will begin after all players have responded, and at least 72 hours have passed, in order to allow night-talking groups to communicate before the game.

"""

game_number = '1598'
game_url = 'http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=58660'
private_url = 'http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=58661'

player_list = ['hiplop', 'ika', 'Klazam', 'Konowa', 'leviathan93', 'MadCitrus', \
			   'Maestro', 'Natirasha', 'Save The Dragons', 'SleepyKrew', 'Wolfy', \
			   'Zoidberg', 'ZZZX']
shuffle(player_list)

mafia = player_list[:3]
for player in mafia:
    ally1, ally2 = [x for x in mafia if x != player]
    print PM_HEADING.format(player=player, game_number=game_number)
    print MAFIA_PM.format(player=player, game_url=game_url,
                          game_number=game_number, ally1=ally1, ally2=ally2,
                          private_url=private_url)

townies = player_list[3:]
for player in townies:
    print PM_HEADING.format(player=player, game_number=game_number)
    print TOWNIE_PM.format(player=player, game_url=game_url,
                           game_number=game_number)

In retrospect, I wonder if I should have said "Vanilla Townie" for the roles, as that seemed a source of confusion. I may likely tweak the win condition of the town, as that seemed to give away that Mafia was the only threat to the town (though I may want that, and may make it more explicit if I do).

The Twist and N1 Choices

Here's what happened N1, in Paint.NET form:

There were a few kills I was surprised by, but I figured the night would be bloody. I thought Save the Dragons' choice to try and overlap kills was innovative. The thought of making all townies a 1-shot vig has been done before, but has been relatively and reasonably gamed by having everyone shoot the person below them on the list. Without warning, I was intrigued to see how people would react. I wasn't sure which side would have better odds here as the town would have 9-10 kills depending on how D1 went, but the mafia would have no power roles to work against other than N1. A good D1 from mafia would have them in the driver's seat (or even auto-winning N1), but here they took it down to the wire. I was happy with the results, as many (most?) players seemed to have enjoyed the game.

Replacements

I was disappointed that Zoidberg replaced out, but understanding. Actually, I thought his wagon was pretty valid until he started posting loads of content, and thought he seemed town, and was a bit surprised that he requested replacing out, but if the game's not fun for you, it's better to get out than drag everyone else down with you. I was worried that his site-leaving would make the slot seem significantly likelier as town, but his N1 death mooted that.

On the flipside, Maestro's replace out was at a dreadfully awful time. He PMed me right as it went into night, which is his right. However, what townie is going to replace out right when given a vig kill shot? (Very few, I imagine!) I would be very concerned if I had to advertise the replacement need at that moment for fear of drawing a lot of kills towards the slot! Fortunately, I already had another replacement lined up. (When I had previously advertised the replacement request for Zoidberg, I had two requests within minutes of each other.) I was then stuck with when to announce the replacement, and ultimately decided to let Riddleton (the replacement player) decide whether to announce now or after N1, and he chose immediately. In another fortunate dodge of the bullet (for me, anyway!), he was killed N1. As a general question to you, how would you have handled this? Would you have preferred me do something different?

In any case, huge thanks to both Aegor and Riddleton for replacing in quickly and being quality players for your duration. Let me know if ever you're modding something and need a replacement and I will do my best to help you out.

The Game Itself

I must preface this by saying that my views and reads are naturally colored by the fact that I knew the alignments of all players. So, I may be horribly wrong in my perceptions simply because I knew too much to perceive it exactly as one who didn't know.

I thought the wagon on Zoidberg early was legitimate, but as he posted content, I thought he looked considerably more town-like. I thought the wagon on MadCitrus made lots of sense, and thought he did himself no favors by being very standoff-ish for much of the early game. (Note to players regarding strategy: if you do things that look scummy and get a wagon, it is silly to suggest that scum must have capitalized on this by voting you. It's hard to argue that you've drawn scum to your wagon, particularly because it's nigh impossible to tell which ones are scum
if any
. The vast majority of players on MadCitrus (save Natirasha, who was very late to the wagon) were town. hiplop was also lynched by a lot of town. Mafia primarily lurked and posted contentless posts during D1 and were allowed to do so. I think I may policy lynch lurkers/low content creators in the future in games I play in, simply because it can be effective. The nature of this particular Mafia with a Twist didn't allow that, but they didn't know that.

I still have no idea why leviathan93 claimed a power role. (Care to explain?) I didn't see the utility
even if it had succeeded
, and it stole the spotlight from other potential players. Wolfy may have gotten to hound ika if not for the attention he drew, and it lead to all three townies lynching the other town, which made D3 even harder.

I also thought Save the Dragons was the most obviously town player throughout the game, but again, this may be drastically colored by the fact that I had actual knowledge that he was town. ;) In any case, ika played well in staying out of the way of the town on this one. If it had gone the other way (with Save the Dragons choosing between ika or Klazam), I don't know if it would have been any different.

Final Thoughts

I hope you enjoyed playing the first installment of Mafia with a Twist. I had fun watching, and I hope I was active enough with prods and votecounts to keep things moving as best I could. I am thankful for the effort of each and every one of you, as really it's the players that make a game fun or not, I just keep things moving. Thanks again, and I'll see you next time!
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #904 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:47 am

Post by Thesp »

Also, thanks for trying to work with the votecounter and being understanding with the lone uncaught mistake it made. It made my job a lot easier. In the next game, I may try to encourage use of the vote tags a great deal more, because it's more foolproof.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
ika
ika
Survivor
ika
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #905 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:56 am

Post by ika »

In post 903, Thesp wrote:

Setup

It was indeed 10 townies and 3 mafia, with no special abilities, other than the N1 mass vig, which no one was made aware of prior to the game. Role PMs were generated with code substantially similar to that in the spoiler below:

In retrospect, I wonder if I should have said "Vanilla Townie" for the roles, as that seemed a source of confusion. I may likely tweak the win condition of the town, as that seemed to give away that Mafia was the only threat to the town (though I may want that, and may make it more explicit if I do).

yes i think some people confused townie and VT, they are essenasly the same though (i call mine citizens), its more of host prefrence

The Twist and N1 Choices

Here's what happened N1, in Paint.NET form:

There were a few kills I was surprised by, but I figured the night would be bloody. I thought Save the Dragons' choice to try and overlap kills was innovative. The thought of making all townies a 1-shot vig has been done before, but has been relatively and reasonably gamed by having everyone shoot the person below them on the list. Without warning, I was intrigued to see how people would react. I wasn't sure which side would have better odds here as the town would have 9-10 kills depending on how D1 went, but the mafia would have no power roles to work against other than N1. A good D1 from mafia would have them in the driver's seat (or even auto-winning N1), but here they took it down to the wire. I was happy with the results, as many (most?) players seemed to have enjoyed the game.

yes, i enjoyed the game fully, even though i didnt get to use the one shot vig, it was still nice to have. it was interesting to see the results :D

Replacements

I was disappointed that Zoidberg replaced out, but understanding. Actually, I thought his wagon was pretty valid until he started posting loads of content, and thought he seemed town, and was a bit surprised that he requested replacing out, but if the game's not fun for you, it's better to get out than drag everyone else down with you. I was worried that his site-leaving would make the slot seem significantly likelier as town, but his N1 death mooted that.

On the flipside, Maestro's replace out was at a dreadfully awful time. He PMed me right as it went into night, which is his right. However, what townie is going to replace out right when given a vig kill shot? (Very few, I imagine!) I would be very concerned if I had to advertise the replacement need at that moment for fear of drawing a lot of kills towards the slot! Fortunately, I already had another replacement lined up. (When I had previously advertised the replacement request for Zoidberg, I had two requests within minutes of each other.) I was then stuck with when to announce the replacement, and ultimately decided to let Riddleton (the replacement player) decide whether to announce now or after N1, and he chose immediately. In another fortunate dodge of the bullet (for me, anyway!), he was killed N1. As a general question to you, how would you have handled this? Would you have preferred me do something different?

In any case, huge thanks to both Aegor and Riddleton for replacing in quickly and being quality players for your duration. Let me know if ever you're modding something and need a replacement and I will do my best to help you out.

as my rules would be, all replacements are made public immitetly. if it was day 2 and he posted first i would be questioning it if i was town.

if you dont mind what was the reason?

The Game Itself

I must preface this by saying that my views and reads are naturally colored by the fact that I knew the alignments of all players. So, I may be horribly wrong in my perceptions simply because I knew too much to perceive it exactly as one who didn't know.

I thought the wagon on Zoidberg early was legitimate, but as he posted content, I thought he looked considerably more town-like. I thought the wagon on MadCitrus made lots of sense, and thought he did himself no favors by being very standoff-ish for much of the early game. (Note to players regarding strategy: if you do things that look scummy and get a wagon, it is silly to suggest that scum must have capitalized on this by voting you. It's hard to argue that you've drawn scum to your wagon, particularly because it's nigh impossible to tell which ones are scum
if any
. The vast majority of players on MadCitrus (save Natirasha, who was very late to the wagon) were town. hiplop was also lynched by a lot of town. Mafia primarily lurked and posted contentless posts during D1 and were allowed to do so. I think I may policy lynch lurkers/low content creators in the future in games I play in, simply because it can be effective. The nature of this particular Mafia with a Twist didn't allow that, but they didn't know that.

I still have no idea why leviathan93 claimed a power role. (Care to explain?) I didn't see the utility
even if it had succeeded
, and it stole the spotlight from other potential players. Wolfy may have gotten to hound ika if not for the attention he drew, and it lead to all three townies lynching the other town, which made D3 even harder.

I also thought Save the Dragons was the most obviously town player throughout the game, but again, this may be drastically colored by the fact that I had actual knowledge that he was town. ;) In any case, ika played well in staying out of the way of the town on this one. If it had gone the other way (with Save the Dragons choosing between ika or Klazam), I don't know if it would have been any different.

ya, my priciple as scum is if town suspects each ohter and implodes, i let them run with it. its sneaky and somewhat underhanded but its a start i will abuse. As already stated i could see levi unaligned with nait based off approach

Final Thoughts

I hope you enjoyed playing the first installment of Mafia with a Twist. I had fun watching, and I hope I was active enough with prods and votecounts to keep things moving as best I could. I am thankful for the effort of each and every one of you, as really it's the players that make a game fun or not, I just keep things moving. Thanks again, and I'll see you next time!

check pm, i loved this and would do again

p-edit: i liked how you added in right to fix votes, i am considering adding that
Riddleton
Riddleton
Mafia Scum
Riddleton
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #906 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:36 am

Post by Riddleton »

In post 902, Klazam wrote:
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #907 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:55 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 905, ika wrote:as my rules would be, all replacements are made public immitetly. if it was day 2 and he posted first i would be questioning it if i was town.

if you dont mind what was the reason?

If I waited until D2 to replace, I would have announced it at the open of D2.

The reason was somewhat straightforward - what townie would voluntarily replace out once given a 1-shot vig they have to use? I thought it would be too obviously a scum slot. (This is, of course, colored by my actual knowledge of him being scum, so I may be overstating things.) I thought in this particular instance, offering the choice to the player of when to announce would be the best compromise. I am glad that ultimately it did not seem to affect things.

In post 906, Riddleton wrote:
In post 902, Klazam wrote:

In post 903, Thesp wrote:If you wish to pre-/in for Mafia with a Twist 2, please PM me your desire to do so. I will save all such PMs, and the first 6 will have a slot reserved, and the remainder will be notified when the game is approaching signups so as to give you a warning to jump on it as soon as it opens.

;)
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #908 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

Thanks, Thesp, that was a fun game!

I almost shot Wolfy N1, and I almost shot Maestro, but ultimately I thought if only one of them were to die, MadCitrus would garner the most information. But killing someone likely to die seemed like a good plan with so many kills happening, though great lot of good it did us.

I wish levi had claimed townie so we could have just moved on, he was a town read for me until he lied, and I would have been like "well that didn't work lol." The fact that ika said "Townie = pro-town" on D3 made me go hmmm. Even so I'm really not sure what would have happened. I wished D3 would have gone on a bit longer but to be honest with the way I was wrong about everything I didn't really want to be the decider in lylo. I think we had a chance albeit a small one. But since I was wrong about anything I can't really blame anyone but myself, and I think town played well to get to where we were but we made a few mistakes. Ika did a great job. I wasn't too suspicious of Nati. Maestro was deadweight and doomed with this setup.
Burning_Earth
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Burning_Earth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #909 (ISO) » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Post by Burning_Earth »

Sorry my life is hectic right now.

Official Vote Count

Aegor
(5): dybeck, hephaestus, Aneninen, Riddleton, Feirei