Mafia 102: No-Frills Game Thread(Town wins!)

SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1275 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:52 pm

Post by SerialClergyman »

Meh, confirmable before night or after night is pretty similar if you already have another confirmable townie - scum will be guranteed to hit a confirmable either way, and you risked losing 3 confirmed innocents. But I take your point.
I'm old now.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1276 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Post by Scigatt »

charter wrote:
SerialClergyman wrote:Good game. My guesses after I died sucked, but I picked up bigmc. Would have bet my mother on crypto being scum. Charter is always amusing to play with. I tried so hard not to think you were scum until you said the cop shouldn't claim because they might be paranoid or naive - because outing them in that scenario is totally useless to scum rofl
You thought I was scum? :(

And I agree, how was this a balanced setup?
Well, the start of my thinking considering that town in 2-10 plain setups have had an abysmal record(If I recall correctly). There was also a lot of figuring with possibilities of how lynched would go, but eventually I settled on this setup.
peanutman
peanutman
Goon
peanutman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1277 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:07 am

Post by peanutman »

Trumpet, you said in the afterlife thread that you aren't pleased that I didn't kill the confirmed townie. I knew that it was quite likely that I would be investigated last night, and, if not, tonight. Therefore, I felt my only chance was to try to pick the cop off at night, seeing as how killing crypto wouldn't be much use to me other than one less townie. Better going for someone who has a chance of being cop. Wasn't this the ideal play in my situation?
peanutman
peanutman
Goon
peanutman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1278 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:14 am

Post by peanutman »

Also,
@muh, was I right in the scum thread about my JK read on you before you claimed? I suspected that you wanted someone to recognize the good play from the jailkeeper, protecting a NK, and therefore brought up this fact a few times. Example :
actually if you think about it crypto isnt so scummy anymore. He lynched scum successfully. He fully attacked BMC. I dont think a scum parnter would have done that. And the jailkeeper had successfully saved a town member which was probably crypto because crypto is a major threat to the goons because of his experience and skill
and is it possible for the mafia to go for a no lynch for the night
Also, I was reading you in iso so I'm not sure of the timeline but were you pushing a Crypto lynch, or at least did you find Crypto scummy after you blocked him. I don't understand why you chose Crypto in fact, because you seemed to think he was scummy earlier on.
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1279 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:24 am

Post by Trumpet of Doom »

Yeah, I figured that out once you said it.
Discretion is the better part of valor.
If I helped lynch you, you deserved it.

Retired from playing for the foreseeable future.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1280 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:24 am

peanutman wrote:Trumpet, you said in the afterlife thread that you aren't pleased that I didn't kill the confirmed townie. I knew that it was quite likely that I would be investigated last night, and, if not, tonight. Therefore, I felt my only chance was to try to pick the cop off at night, seeing as how killing crypto wouldn't be much use to me other than one less townie. Better going for someone who has a chance of being cop. Wasn't this the ideal play in my situation?
I agree this was the correct play. The cop needed to go before his claim.
I'm old now.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1281 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:35 am

Damn you Ojanen - campaigning for my death then replacing out :D
Scum quick topic wrote:kill speculation is one of those things that as town, you Just Don't Do, so we can probably get away with a lot.
As someone who has been killed a lot recently, this is VERY IRRITATING. Town should seriously look at this stuff more. At the moment, scum can kill the direct threat ASAP and noone even touches the night kill for fear of WIFOM.

Sexy code from Ojanen, lame that Scigatt doesn't allow it. Hoopla's hr code had the town gobsmacked, that one was pretty close too. I'm playing a game where you can't code or breadcrumb and you do lose some of the strategy, in my opinion.
I'm old now.
mask man
mask man
Goon
mask man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1282 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:55 am

Post by mask man »

Am I the only one not surprised at the sane cop?
crypto is a scum rapist.
Show
The monster entered the blacksmith.
The monster became Otto the Blacksmith.
Otto the Blacksmith became the strongest man in the village.
But one day he said,
ÔÇ£Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.ÔÇØ
Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!

The hungry monster ate Otto from the inside out.
Kreriov
Kreriov
Mafia Scum
Kreriov
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1283 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:24 am

Post by Kreriov »

It is interesting. Read some of the threads about statistical outcomes. The set up we just played seems to actually favor the mafia over the mini type setup with 3 scum, cop, doc, 7 townies. If anything, this was actually biased a bit towards scum over a standard cop/doc setup because the 'doc' (even if called a jailkeeper) would block the cop when protecting him.
Kreriov
-Most people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down stairs.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1284 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:13 am

I would have thought that 3 scum, doc, cop and 7 townies would be pretty pro-town as well though.

But honestly I know jack about balance, I'm going by what 'looks' right.

I'd also point out that going from 2 scum --> 3 scum doesn't really mean a linear increase. There's more interaction between the group. I'd definitely say an extra member is not +50% power for scum.
I'm old now.
Ojanen
Ojanen
Mafia Scum
Ojanen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1285 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:38 am

Post by Ojanen »

SerialClergyman wrote:Damn you Ojanen - campaigning for my death then replacing out :D
That was pretty solidly evil, yeah.

Sorry for replacing out, still don't feel good about that although I was genuinely sick.
Peanutman had to replace into a pretty bad position but considering circumstances he did imo pretty well from what I skimmed.

Memorable welcome btw, referencing the bigmc wagon fighting with Pom's one :D
SerialClergyman wrote:Ojanen! Come join my sexy wagon.
Trumpet of Doom
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Trumpet of Doom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1286 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:41 am

Post by Trumpet of Doom »

SerialClergyman wrote:
Scum quick topic wrote:kill speculation is one of those things that as town, you Just Don't Do, so we can probably get away with a lot.
As someone who has been killed a lot recently, this is VERY IRRITATING. Town should seriously look at this stuff more. At the moment, scum can kill the direct threat ASAP and noone even touches the night kill for fear of WIFOM.
I agree, it's infuriating. As town, when I know/have reason to believe there's only one scum left, I love trying to figure out who could have killed Player Whomever and why.

However, as long as sitewide meta stays what it is, that's something scum can try to exploit. I'm reminded of something a deceased relative of mine said, albeit in a different context:
I don't like the rules on [topic], but as long as they're there, I'm gonna use them.
8-)
Discretion is the better part of valor.
If I helped lynch you, you deserved it.

Retired from playing for the foreseeable future.
danakillsu
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
danakillsu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1287 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:16 am

Post by danakillsu »

Glad I replaced into this game! This'll go on my record big time!
muh316
muh316
Goon
muh316
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1288 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:32 pm

Post by muh316 »

peanutman wrote:Also,
@muh, was I right in the scum thread about my JK read on you before you claimed? I suspected that you wanted someone to recognize the good play from the jailkeeper, protecting a NK, and therefore brought up this fact a few times. Example :
actually if you think about it crypto isnt so scummy anymore. He lynched scum successfully. He fully attacked BMC. I dont think a scum parnter would have done that. And the jailkeeper had successfully saved a town member which was probably crypto because crypto is a major threat to the goons because of his experience and skill
and is it possible for the mafia to go for a no lynch for the night
Also, I was reading you in iso so I'm not sure of the timeline but were you pushing a Crypto lynch, or at least did you find Crypto scummy after you blocked him. I don't understand why you chose Crypto in fact, because you seemed to think he was scummy earlier on.
The reason I chose crypto was because he successfully lynched BMC so I was less suspicious of him. Now I knew that tomorrow everyone would praise crypto on his scumhunting skills and how he was pushing so much for a scum lynch so I figured you would think that was as well. SO you see I chose him 3 nights in a row.
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1289 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Memorable welcome btw, referencing the bigmc wagon fighting with Pom's one :D
I should have known you were scum from the MOMENT you didn't come join my sexy wagon! :P
I'm old now.
Pomegranate
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Pomegranate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1290 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Post by Pomegranate »

Yo guys.

GG all around, especially town.

Why was I lynched again? Sorry I didn't play well; I don't think I put my all into it D1. Also, I'd never encountered someone who tunneled like crypto before. :P

Scigatt, the afterlife thread was a great idea for keeping interest in dead players.
Show
"You're a silly Pom. Silly silly girl." -Fate

"I didn't want to use you Pom... I never killed you. I didn't endgame you it was my evil buddies!
Sowwy >_<" -scumFate.

"Pom was on my "I will not kill, and I shall seek vengeance upon the death of them" list." -CSL
mask man
mask man
Goon
mask man
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1291 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:33 pm

Post by mask man »

A second apology to the mod, and a first to all the players for my frequent lack of posting. I am glad to see that I was replaced by one far better.
Show
The monster entered the blacksmith.
The monster became Otto the Blacksmith.
Otto the Blacksmith became the strongest man in the village.
But one day he said,
ÔÇ£Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.ÔÇØ
Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!

The hungry monster ate Otto from the inside out.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1292 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:17 pm

Post by crypto »

Good game. Weird one. My interest and mood obviously dipped big time mid-game, so I apologize for that. Plus my reads were all over the place (though I am pleased at how accurate they were later on). Wish I hadn't got sidetracked from my initial scum read on EtherealCookie.

And boo at Sando's town flip. I thought my theory fit together so awesomely. Blargh.

BMC's play puzzled me. For most of day 1 I was convinced he was town, and if he hadn't voted for me during my day 2 self-destructive rampage (which I admit was only a third gambit to two-thirds tantrum), I don't know if I would've gotten my butt in gear and gone for his lynch.

Serial, I still don't think I was contradictory about my BMC meta read. I thought that overall he was more aggressive/decisive, but that he was more wary/cautious/indecisive about the one player he knew was a newbie—which sort of made sense given his experience and sort of didn't (which, for what it's worth, wound up being a major factor in my belayed flip-flop about him). Maybe I didn't explain it properly. Anywho.
Pom wrote:Why was I lynched again? Sorry I didn't play well; I don't think I put my all into it D1. Also, I'd never encountered someone who tunneled like crypto before.
Not the first time I've been informed of that (though you're certainly more polite about it than most people ;)). Honestly, I was convinced you were scum; it had nothing to do with your quality of play, which I didn't think was bad. Your town flip drove me nuts and since then (that was a looong time ago, wasn't it?) I think I've gotten less tunnel-visioned. I do still like to tunnel on my suspects in the actual thread, but I take note of other stuff more obsessively than I used to. Sorry I lynched you. :(

Oh, yeah, and I don't know how limited Kaiveran access was, but IMO she did a pretty damn good job at laying low as cop.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1293 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Post by crypto »

Yikes, epic EBWOP: "My interest and mood" should be "My
effort
and mood." Big difference. :shock: :oops:
SerialClergyman
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
SerialClergyman
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1294 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:55 am

Serial, I still don't think I was contradictory about my BMC meta read. I thought that overall he was more aggressive/decisive, but that he was more wary/cautious/indecisive about the one player he knew was a newbie—which sort of made sense given his experience and sort of didn't (which, for what it's worth, wound up being a major factor in my belayed flip-flop about him). Maybe I didn't explain it properly. Anywho.
No worries mate, only my opinion in the end. You got yourself protected which was a big part of winning the game, so all power to you :D
I'm old now.
Sando
Sando
Mafia Scum
Sando
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1295 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:29 am

Post by Sando »

Yeah my play on the day I was lynched was pretty atrocious. It caught me at a period where I was extremely busy and nearly all my posts were late at night and typically after a few bevies. Ironically when I completely missed that crypto had been confirmed it was neither late nor was I drunk, I was just super tired and subsisting on Red Bull.

In fact even when I went back and found the JK claim, it took me half an hour to work out why that made Crypto confirmed, my brain just wasn´t working :P
hiphop
hiphop
Mafia Scum
hiphop
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1296 (ISO) » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Post by hiphop »

If you put a godfather in, and make it so scum's kills can be rb, than I think it would of been a more fair game. It would make townies think, instead of saying confirmed, but that is my opinion.
Show
Town - 8/12
Scum - 4/2

Never forget

September 11, 2001

I colored hiphop kind of magenta, because he deserves a color of his own.
~Gila
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #1297 (ISO) » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 am

Post by EmpTyger »

Well done is better than well last posted.

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”