Mafia 108 - Mafia With The Quickness - over!

Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:28 am

Post by Glork »

WARNING: TANGENTIAL RANT AHEAD.

I do not wish this to become a distraction to finding scums in this game, but I have to get something off my chest regarding general mafia theory.
Netopalils wrote:Unfortunately, there have not been enough games using the random question system to give a good statistical analysis. My initial research shows, though, that it has more often led to town victories. Most of the games that I have read in which the random question system leads to a mislynch are due to the town lynching the questioner for going against the established norm of the site. With more question games, this stigma would be alleviated.
Your initial research is bullshit. I don't want you to do this in-game, because it will ultimately serve as a huge distraction to actually finding scum, but after this game I'm going to make a thread. In said thread, I want you to explain how your observation of RQS vs RVS constitutes a valid analysis of a game which has literally dozens (and possibly hundreds) of variables. Are you really naive enough to believe that RQS vs RVS is the sole (or even a primary) cause of victory in Mafia?

Ultimately, the Random Whatever the Fuck You Want to Call it Stage is nothing more than an icebreaker. The RWFYWTCS is significantly LESS important than the pages immediately after RWFYWTCS. I don't care if it's RQS or RVS or Random-Theory-Discussion-Stage or anything else. But people don't find scum through the arbitrary start-of-game crap. They find scum through whatever comes AFTER the arbitrary start-of-game crap.

END RANT.

That said, we should lynch Bogre.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:30 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Damn, lost my post. Let's see if I can remember what I had:
Maemuki wrote:
I'm getting better. Page 2 and I have 4 pretty solid reads. Neto and Mae as scum. Haylen and Saint as town.
*claps slowly* Way to go - Saint is voting your town read and Haylen is voting with you. Bravo, bravo.
Something wrong with that?

Sarcasm against your attacker is noted.
Netopalis wrote:But you understand my point, I take it? That RVS is not a good predictor of who is scum?
I disagree.
SaintKerrigan wrote: In other news,
Unvote: Haylen. Vote: Netlava.
Something about his post just rubbed me the wrong way...just kidding. My beef with Net is that he voted Maemuki for a very vague reason and for apologizing (obviously a nulltell). Feels opportunistic.
I can see that, but only if Mae is town (or we have multiple anti-town factions).
Maemuki wrote: Well yeah. I'm known to be a lurker - if you didn't know that, you do now. I talked to Incog and he let me in as long as I didn't lurk. I thought it would be better if I was here for the start because of that.
Not gonna lie, that's a weird thing to expect. That you'd have to be here right at the start. It actually makes sense though with your reasoning.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:30 am

Post by Incognito »

Vote Count #2 of Day 1
(I need at least one top of page, dammit.)

Bogre (3) <-~ Gayle, Glork, Zachrulez
Maemuki (2) <-~ Netopalis, Netlava
Netopalis (2) <-~ Kmd4390, Haylen
SaintKerrigan (1) <-~ Bogre
Annachie (1) <-~ Maemuki
Netlava (1) <-~ SaintKerrigan

Not voting (3) <-~ Annachie, camn, Ellibereth

With 13 alive, 7 votes will do it.

Last edited by Incognito on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
SaintKerrigan
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
SaintKerrigan
Brings Out The Flavour
Brings Out The Flavour

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:32 am

Post by SaintKerrigan »

@ Kmd: Why not elaborate on your town reads? I have to say, I'm getting a little worried about you. I don't really see the point in most of the points against Neto (except maybe the random-voting despite disliking it), and your reason for making Mae a sure scum read isn't a good one.

Bogre: Any comments on anything going on so far?
ALMOST ALWAYS BUSY 9-6 CST WEEKDAYS
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:32 am

Post by Netopalis »

Agreed, there is a lot more that goes into it. However, if we seek to improve D1 play (I just did a quick count of the mini normals, and the count is 17 scum lynched D1 compared to 35 town lynched D1 - not as bad as I thought, but hardly optimal), and given that there is one common thread - random voting - it seems that improving that area would probably improve D1 play in general.

SK: You meant to vote for me, not for Netlava, I think.

Bogre: Not at the moment. I would normally say that I think that a few people are being overeager to lynch based on questionable tells, but I've noticed that whenever I attack people for that, they're usually town, so I don't really feel that it's a good predictor.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:32 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Glork wrote:WARNING: TANGENTIAL RANT AHEAD.

I do not wish this to become a distraction to finding scums in this game, but I have to get something off my chest regarding general mafia theory.
Netopalils wrote:Unfortunately, there have not been enough games using the random question system to give a good statistical analysis. My initial research shows, though, that it has more often led to town victories. Most of the games that I have read in which the random question system leads to a mislynch are due to the town lynching the questioner for going against the established norm of the site. With more question games, this stigma would be alleviated.
Your initial research is bullshit. I don't want you to do this in-game, because it will ultimately serve as a huge distraction to actually finding scum, but after this game I'm going to make a thread. In said thread, I want you to explain how your observation of RQS vs RVS constitutes a valid analysis of a game which has literally dozens (and possibly hundreds) of variables. Are you really naive enough to believe that RQS vs RVS is the sole (or even a primary) cause of victory in Mafia?

Ultimately, the Random Whatever the Fuck You Want to Call it Stage is nothing more than an icebreaker. The RWFYWTCS is significantly LESS important than the pages immediately after RWFYWTCS. I don't care if it's RQS or RVS or Random-Theory-Discussion-Stage or anything else. But people don't find scum through the arbitrary start-of-game crap. They find scum through whatever comes AFTER the arbitrary start-of-game crap.

END RANT.

Comments on what has happened so far?
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:34 am

Post by Glork »

Kmd4390 wrote:

END RANT.

Comments on what has happened so far?
Glork wrote:That said, we should lynch Bogre.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Maemuki
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:35 am

Post by Maemuki »

Sarcasm against your attacker is noted.
Don't worry, there's plenty more from where that came from. I might or might now use it though.
Not gonna lie, that's a weird thing to expect.
*nods* It is. But since Incog said so, I thought it would be better if I was on the safe side. But that's beside the point. Carry on!
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:35 am

Post by Netopalis »

I disagree.
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:36 am

Post by Glork »

Netopalis wrote:
I disagree.
That's because you'd rather ask silly questions than lynch scums.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:36 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

SaintKerrigan wrote:@ Kmd: Why not elaborate on your town reads? I have to say, I'm getting a little worried about you. I don't really see the point in most of the points against Neto (except maybe the random-voting despite disliking it), and your reason for making Mae a sure scum read isn't a good one.
I'm not elaborating on town reads because there's no reason to. The only reason I can think of off the top of my head is if I was defending you from a lynch, which right now, isn't something to worry about.

Neto seems to be changing his story and squiriming a little too much.

I was wrong on Mae.
Netopalis wrote:Agreed, there is a lot more that goes into it. However, if we seek to improve D1 play (I just did a quick count of the mini normals, and the count is 17 scum lynched D1 compared to 35 town lynched D1 - not as bad as I thought, but hardly optimal), and given that there is one common thread - random voting - it seems that improving that area would probably improve D1 play in general.
Enough theory talk.
Neto wrote:SK: You meant to vote for me, not for Netlava, I think.
Why'd you think that?
Neto wrote:Bogre: Not at the moment. I would normally say that I think that a few people are being
overeager to lynch
based on questionable tells, but I've noticed that whenever I attack people for that, they're usually town, so I don't really feel that it's a good predictor.
Who is looking for a lynch?
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:36 am

Post by Netopalis »

SK: Sorry, I had originally missed Netlava's vote for Maemuki - your vote is correctly placed based on your post.

Bogre
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:37 am

Post by Bogre »

Kmd4390 wrote:
Maemuki wrote: Well yeah. I'm known to be a lurker - if you didn't know that, you do now. I talked to Incog and he let me in as long as I didn't lurk. I thought it would be better if I was here for the start because of that.
Not gonna lie, that's a weird thing to expect. That you'd have to be here right at the start. It actually makes sense though with your reasoning.
She's mentioned that in every game I've played with her in, I think, so I don't think its anything beyond a disclaimer for her meta.
Show
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal.
ArmageddonMUD
www.armageddon.org

Scum do it in the Shadows.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:42 am

Post by Haylen »

I read that as Tagliatelli Rant, and thus was disappointed when I read your post :(

Why is Bogre the best lynch?
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:42 am

Post by Haylen »

I read that as Tagliatelli Rant, and thus was disappointed when I read your post :(

Why is Bogre the best lynch?

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Bogre
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:42 am

Post by Bogre »

@Kerrigan:

Don't think elaborating on town reads is good at this stage.

I also think spending too much time discussing if RVS is useful or not is worthless- it allows people to post things that look like content, look intellectual or whatever, without actually having to confront other players or respond to them.
Show
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal.
ArmageddonMUD
www.armageddon.org

Scum do it in the Shadows.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:43 am

Post by Haylen »

ohh FFS stupid white screen.

Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:45 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Sweet, the site's back. Stupid fatal error thing. Catching up again.
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 am

Post by Glork »

Dammit, Bogre.

Original Roll String: 1d2
1 2-Sided Dice: (1) = 1
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 am

Post by Haylen »

I loved the irony there >.>

Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:46 am

Post by Glork »

Unvote, Vote: Netopalis
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Maemuki
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:48 am

Post by Maemuki »

She's mentioned that in every game I've played with her in, I think, so I don't think its anything beyond a disclaimer for her meta.
Actually people mention it before I do, or I need to bring it up for some reason. I wish I could go through a game without someone, anyone mentioning it.

Oh yay dice rolls, what do the numbers on the dice mean, Glork? Why did you use dice?
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:49 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

Maemuki wrote: *nods* It is. But since Incog said so, I thought it would be better if I was on the safe side. But that's beside the point. Carry on!
Wait, did Incog say to be around for the start or was it your own idea?
Bogre wrote: She's mentioned that in every game I've played with her in, I think, so I don't think its anything beyond a disclaimer for her meta.
Noted. Thanks.

--------------------------
Neto,
Kmd4390 wrote: Who is looking for a lynch?
-------------------------

Glork, wtf?
Glork
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Glork
Burdened by Proficiency
Burdened by Proficiency

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:49 am

Post by Glork »

Maemuki wrote:
Actually people mention it before I do, or I need to bring it up for some reason. I wish I could go through a game without someone, anyone mentioning it.

Oh yay dice rolls, what do the numbers on the dice mean, Glork? Why did you use dice?
I'm sure you can figure it out if you bother to read and think.
Green Shirt Thursdays

Get to know a Glork!
Maemuki
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:50 am

Post by Maemuki »

Wait, did Incog say to be around for the start or was it your own idea?
My idea.
I'm sure you can figure it out if you bother to read and think.
What, Netopalis and Bogre?

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”