NY 114: Mafia vs. Werewolves (Game Over)

Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2550 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Post by Nikanor »

Also, thanks for modding Michel! I can't imagine how you managed to get all those replacements, but thank you very much for all the effort you put in!
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2551 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Post by vezokpiraka »

Yeah thanks a lot michel. One of the funniest game here.
Windows hasn't detected any keyboard. Press Enter.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2552 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Post by MichelSableheart »

This setup was intended as a larger version of Monks and Masons. The monks were distributed randomly among all vanilla townies and mafiosi, the masons were distributed randomly among all vanilla townies and werewolves. The other powerroles were intended to give scum some room to manouvre with fakeclaims. The setup had 24 players in order to allow the town two mislynches in the worst case scenario.

After the first two days, I was giving very little for the chances of the town. Most monks and masons outed, a roleblocker who was disbelieved because mafia missed their nightkill, a mafia member who was likely considered non-mafia because of a doc protect when a kill was missing... I'm surprised to see how far town came.

What worked in town's favour were the large amounts of missed nightchoices. Mafia missed 3 kills, Werewolves 1. With the excellent werewolves play, town still didn't stand much of a chance, though.

Vezokpiraka essentially becoming confirmed town day 1, but still living to endgame was interesting to see.

I'm not too happy with the flavourtext I wrote. Some pieces were ok, but most of it felt a bit bland. I'm also unsure if I handled the battle mage replacement correctly. I had been lenient towards him already, and didn't want to encourage active lurking, but still felt not too happy about replacing an essentially active player.

I would love to hear comments on the way I modded this game, and what could be improved.
There is no 'a' in Michel.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2553 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:21 pm

Post by vezokpiraka »

It was surprising to say the least for me to endgame. And as confirmed townie.
I was lucky. Got both the random draws.

I think you did the great. Because this was a large normal I think the flavor was awesome.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2554 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:24 pm

As far as replacements go: it was my job to find them. If you want to thank anyone, thank the players who replaced in, and didn't replace out again.
RichardGHP
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
RichardGHP
Parama's Alt
Parama's Alt

Post Post #2555 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Post by RichardGHP »

Michel, the only thing I can think of to improve your modding is a little more leniency with activity . 48/24 is a little harsh when most Large Normals/Themes follow 72/24 or something similar.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2556 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:20 am

Post by Vi »

Well I'm glad this game was laid to rest. Had I known while I was alive that Parama was not a relative newbie but actually a
highly competent scum player
I would have placed him dead to rights right about when he posted I WILL NOT BE SILENCED (i.e. direct willingness to be anti-Town and wrong). I thought that SerialClergyman was phoning in his performance but made the decision to go with him anyway for the sake of convenience and an unwillingness to keep fighting a sea of people I didn't think I was going to be able to convince. All the rest of my reads were basically wrong. I really want to know what's going on with Dry-fit, because I think this is like the second time I've seen him as scummy scum.

SSBF as Town leader D1 kind of didn't work, but I liked the enthusiasm and he was pretty clearly Town so I let it go. I'm curious to see his thoughts.

vezo seemed to really like being confirmed Town, and nobody else except the scum did. The problem with confirmed Townies, either by setup design or by role revelation, is that they stop becoming pressured to contribute positively to the game. The reason he was kept to endgame was because he was no threat whatsoever.

Midnight's Sorrow was obvTown since at least Day 2.

No comment seems necessary about Lowell.

I'm pleasantly surprised that the game lasted as long as it did or got to a one-team LyLo, given how the first two Days went. gj Town.

I can understand that Michel had a hard time with replacements in this game, in part because he drafted fail players and in part because I know there aren't many good replacements available for L. Normals. However, the activity policy brought a lot of it on himself. Battle Mage, for instance, is
notorious
for posting 8 times in a row and then disappearing for three days. That's not a stall tactic; that's how he plays, that's how he's always played. I'm also very concerned about the V/LA policy allowing people to essentially skip around the activity requirements altogether. It's not fair for someone to be replaced after three days of inactivity but give others a free pass every weekend. Excused or not, absence is absence - and after seeing V/LA abused in games of my own I'm inclined to ignore V/LA for activity requirements anyway. I understand that you wanted a relatively swift game with 48/24, but in your position when I saw that that wasn't going to happen and I had a revolving door going on I would have pushed it to 72/24.

However, I can certainly respect your (Michel's) consistency in modding. Everything was extremely precise, and I don't remember seeing any deviation in your posts or actions.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2557 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:25 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

I don't agree with the V/LA thing.
I was V/LA with no computer what so ever. Once because I was going on vacation. And another time when something bad happened.

When I was not V/LA I posted here every day. Never got a prod.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2558 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:36 am

Post by AGar »

Ythan - about my really weird post. I was setting up a breadcrumb, because I was almost certain my attempt to lynch Tubby would backfire, or I would need to explain it the next day.
I
f you really don't believe me, it's understandable.
S
ometimes you just need to go with gut.
O
nce in a while, it'll work.
R
eally though, this is a bit more than gut.
C
all it an 'informed decision'.
E
ducated guess if you will.
R
ight now, we're competing between lynching an anti-town player, a player who is very likely scum and now being introduced is tubby's possible lynch.
E
very one of them has a case.
R
ightfully so.
N
one are better than this though.
O
therwise I wouldn't be pushing it.
P
erhaps it's a bit of a stretch, given the one post I've left you too look at, but it'll make sense.
R
ead the post, read my posts, you'll get a better idea.
O
nce the time is right, I'll spell it out if I have to.
T
hat's something I'd rather avoid, but if I must, I will.
T
ime is on our side though, so really try and figure it out.
U
nder any other circumstances, I'd be more direct with this.
B
ut I can't be.
B
ecause there are reasons.
Y
ou understand, don't you?
Spells out: I SORCERER NO PROT TUBBY.

I hadn't protected Tubby either of those nights, so I thought Pom was trying to clear Tubby by saying "We tried to kill him." I nearly shit a brick when he flipped mafia and not werewolf.

Parama had me fooled, I will admit. I had him deadset as town. Nik's comment about "we should be searching for werewolves" is what originally had me gunning for him in D6(?) and then I realized Pom had flipped werewolf, so that's why I backed off.

Michel - the flavor wasn't exactly Paperback type stuff, but conversely, it was good and it made sense, and it was flavor. I get bored of people just going "X died. He was a Y Z" or flavor that makes absolutely no sense. I can't say much about the activity deadlines, because I don't believe they affected me, but I do agree with Vi about the whole V/LA thing. Kind of unfair to players.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2559 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:02 am

Post by Faraday »

i was just glad to be killed. outting the masons and monks early was really really fucking stupid though. they were the strongest town weapon here and welp.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2560 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:03 am

Post by Faraday »

also way too many replacements hurt the town badly. althogh fair play on getting them.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2561 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:57 am

Post by Parama »

I love the crosskill night of failure.

Lol, both teams thought Vi was scum N1, hehe. Well it was mostly me on the werewolf side but meh Vi is a good kill if Vi is town and Vi is a good kill is Vi is scum. I also don't know Vi's gender so I cannot refer to it <_<
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2562 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:03 am

Post by Vi »

>.> This was my last game before I took a month off, and I probably should have taken the vacation sooner if this game was any indication.
I'm hyper to start playing again but I'm so sidetracked by other things right now that I haven't found the perfect game to join yet.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2563 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:24 am

Post by Parama »

Vi wrote:Had I known while I was alive that Parama was not a relative newbie but actually a
highly competent scum player
I would have placed him dead to rights right about when he posted I WILL NOT BE SILENCED (i.e. direct willingness to be anti-Town and wrong).
I don't like being a better scum player than town player though because town is so much more fun :< But my scum W/L record kinda speaks for itself - the one loss was a game where I was SK'ed night 1 and didn't get much of a chance to play <.<
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2564 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:52 am

Post by Parama »

Also, arguing over who would send in the kill on Dry-fit was funny.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Socrates
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Socrates
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2565 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:20 am

Post by Socrates »

*sigh* Not my best performance ever. My reads were about 50/50 and this was my first mislynch ever.

One can clearly make the argument that the mafia not sending in a NK night one ended up working out in the scum's favor by establishing my eventual mislynch, though the same can't be said about the nights they missed.

Nik was defending me day 3 way too hard for him to be a normal townie. He was either a Cop or scum, so when he claimed townie at lylo I would have been all over him like a bad case of fleas. Parama acted similarly, but I didn't notice at the time. =.=

Well played scum, I suck at mafia etcetera etcetera etcetera
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2566 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:00 am

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan »

I really did enjoy playing this game with you all. Really, this is probably the most entertaining Mafia game I've ever played and maybe someday, I'll take a re-read on this game on.

I personally was really surprised by how well I've played this game. Due to my behavior confirmation stage, at the time, I was expecting myself to be one of the major lynch candidates Day 1 and I would have to fight hard to get out of it (And I would have probably failed), especially since I was a Vanilla Townie (No disrespect to the role).

Surprisingly enough, most of the suspicion fade away. What felt great was that I wasn't a major lynch candidate for most of the game, an accomplish that I rarely managed to handle before.

But to be honest, I learn something that I never thought would learn in Mafia: Don't play the game to see how long you can avoid being lynched, play the game to get rid of scums. This is an important lesson that I feel will influence me on future Mafia games and I will make sure to apply it to them.

The fact that I did so much to the town, I knew I was a threat to the scums and it was a matter of time of not when I would get lynched, but when I would get Night Killed. I was surprised it didn't happen sooner, especially Night Three when foilist13 said I was an OK NK (I think he said I was). But it's good to be a threat to scum because you need to get rid of them.

Probably my worst mistake here in this game was doubling up with SerialClergyman in the "Let's form a town alliance!" plan. I should had known that he had scum intentions there and should have immediately distance from him. Another bad mistake was not persuding my first top scum read Parama. Had I not gotten vezokpiraka in the way at the time, I probably still would have pushed for a Parama's lynch Day 1 and prehaps he would have been lynched. But oh well, both SerialClergyman/Parama did great and I was fooled by them, not to mentioned was surprised that SerialClergyman/tubby216 fliped scum.

The playerlist was pretty good and some of the replacements were great as well. Players that I really enjoyed playing with are the folllowing:
Vi
Seraphim
SpyreX
Parama
Nachomamma8
Unsight
foilist13
Pomegranate
Ythan
SerialClergyman
tubby216
LynchMePls
nhammen
Leafsnail
Nikanor
Battle Mage
Faraday
Socrates

No biasness toward other people, thought.

Town did surprisingly well in this game. The fact that they managed to catch four scums in an unlikely win situation proves that they didn't always BS around, plus we had some strong players.

Probably the biggest problem with the town was the bandwagoning issue Day 1 and to a lesser extend, Day 2. Granted, bandwagons are great, but I felt we went through way too many of them and cause not only confusion, but lose of interest in the game. We need to be more solid with opinion before voting someone to lynch.

I would like to thank the mod for mostly solid flavor. It was enjoyable to read and I never skimmed any of it. Modding during the day was great and the fact he was so vigilant in finding replacements shows that he was determind to prevent mod-kill based off anyone.

I was pretty angry that Unsight got himself mod-killed, thought. By Day 5, he was one of my very few town reads and I would be really uncomfortable over his mod-kill, especially since he did play well.

Overall, I feel that I came off better then I did when starting the game. Hopefully I will continue to learn and become a solid player here. Because I love Mafia and Mafia is game of logic, something that I like as well.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2567 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:01 am

Post by Lowell »

You forgot Lowell on that list.
vezokpiraka
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
vezokpiraka
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2568 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:06 am

Post by vezokpiraka »

Youy didn't like to play with me?

Anyway. You did good this game SSBF. With you in LyLo we should have won.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #2569 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 am

Post by Faraday »

ssbf your play wasn't too bad, you were really obv town which is probably one of the things that's underrated on this site by some. looking town as town isn't something you should ignore, yeah finding scum is great but if you're scummy as fuck you're going to be lynched (more than likely). thought lowell was really obv town too.

sorry to socrates. idk I didn't really give you much of a chance due to being pretty sold on raiize scum. Oh well, good playerlist, enjoyed it. gg scums.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2570 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:26 am

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan »

Don't worry, I don't dislike anyone here at all.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2571 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:28 am

Post by Parama »

Super Smash Bros. Fan wrote:Had I not gotten vezokpiraka in the way at the time, I probably still would have pushed for a Parama's lynch Day 1 and prehaps he would have been lynched.
Actually, I've been lynched a grand total of 1 time on this site and it was a 7-player wagon with 4 Serial Killers on it (the game had 6 of them), so you probably weren't going to get me lynched, for I am unlynchable :P (SK shenanigans aside)

Also you were the "easy target" D1 so I threw some dirt on you then started ignoring you.
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2572 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:29 am

Post by Parama »

Was there I dead QT? I saw no mention of one so...
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2573 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:53 am

There was no dead QuickTopic. I prefer if there is no talking about my games outside of the gamethread. If you don't talk about ongoing games, there is no chance of slipping up and talking about it to someone who isn't supposed to know.

@AGar: did you notice rule #8?
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2574 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:57 am

Post by Parama »

You really won't let people breadcrumb? :S
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”