mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1575 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:27 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Haylen wrote:Why can I only scumhunt in newbie games :(
Oh, how I know the feeling...
My academy.
"...You have a blog?!?" (Yes, I do. Click.)
Agnigi
, 13p Mini Theme sequel to Gistou, is in design and could use reviewers!
Duplicity
Duplicity
Goon
Duplicity
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1576 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:25 am

Post by Duplicity »

Honestly, after Pine wasn't lynched when a) we flipped tracker and b) he claimed to have tracked our own goon to killing us, it was pretty clear the town's bullshit detectors were turned off.
There are three ways of dealing with difference: domination, compromise, and integration. By domination only one side gets what it wants; by compromise neither side gets what it wants; by integration we find a way by which both sides may get what they wish. - Mary Parker Follett.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1577 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:58 am

Post by Thor665 »

^^^
This.
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1578 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Post by Pine »

Hehehe, that may be my favorite successful bluff ever. And thankfully, we'd killed everyone who would have caught my bullshit before I tried it.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1579 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Post by Thor665 »

Still boggles the mind.
Magister Ludi
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Magister Ludi
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1580 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Post by Magister Ludi »

How is nine anti town players in a 22 player normal even close to being considered balanced.

Who reviewed this? Did no one bring up concerns?
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1581 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Post by mastin2 »

Crosskills.
They were expected, they happened frequently.

It was swingy, sure. But it was also balanced.
My academy.
Agnigi
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1582 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Post by Pine »

Indeed. The Town damn near won, and that with a useless Town. Of the nine anti-Town, eight died. Only one, Gollum, was arguably brought down by Town.
All
of the others were either night cross-kills or scum-led lynch wagons.

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Tasky
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1583 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:51 pm

Post by Tasky »

Ok, here I go with some comments:

first, balance:
after seeing how the game played out, I am really, really happy about this setup. I think it was very self-balancing.
I can see why someone when looking at the setup for the first time might think it is unbalanced against town for some reasons, I'd like you to consider some things, though:

1. there are 4 factions (let's say 3.5, since the SK usually is expected to have less winning chance), so even if town had only a 30% chance of winning, the game would be balanced (30/30/30/10 I would consider perfectly acceptable). In my opinion, however, town had at least 40%, which is more than enough in a 4-factions game
so, yes you could say the game was scum-sided, if you add all the anti-town percentages together, but each individual scum-faction had definitely not a bigger chance at winning than town (read further for explantation)

2. someone argued in the dead QT, that town had only 4 PRs, while there where 7 anti-town ones (4 track/watch, 2 GF, 1 neighborizer). This is however fallacious because every single one of the 7 anti-town PRs worked in towns favor:
-> The GFs just distracted the scum and did in fact nothing
-> The watcher/tracker had no town-target, since hiders can't be killed at night anyway even if found by a watcher/tracker, on the contrary, tracking a hider who dies would help scum find and kill each other better
on the other side, watchers/trackers increased the likelyhood of crosskills enormously, since each team had now 3 targets (opposing tracker,watcher, killer) and 2 roles to find it. Add to that the triple targeting of the serial killer (who in fact did absorb one NK this game) and you see how pro-town this supposed anti-town PRs were.
-> The neighborizer is pro-town anyway, as more discussion will always be an advantage (maybe small, but definitely no disadvantage)

3. While it is true that town had the possibility to lose 4 members the first night (2 hiders, 2 scumkills), this is definitely made up by the enormous likelihood of multiple crosskills after that. the serial killer limitation was intended exactly for the purpose of reducing N1-massacres.

4. Just by looking at this game, you can see how good towns chances actually were: town played a TERRIBLE game from D1 onwards. You managed to no-lynch D1, while outing both masons. except for the gollum-lynch, you were basically always sheeping scum-members and you failed TWICE to lynch a scum-caught-in-fake-claim (Pine and hohum). Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I can't understand how town could not lynch those.
And still you made it to 4P-MyLo (why one would lynch over no-lynch in that situation is another mistery to me).
There were 4 crosskills (5, considering the one absorbed by the SK). removing those players, town had only 4 scum (who were actively bussing each other, due to not being on the same team)+1SK to lynch. I think that is a very reasonable task.

second, some random comments:
1. I found it amusing that the red mafia totally forgot that they had seen Ion target one of theirs. It was pointed out by their watcher, and later forgotten. Probably Twistedspoon could have won if he had remembered that and killed hohum instead of furcolow
2. Ctorj, didn't you see pappums rat's breadcrumb on his night-target in the neighbor-QT? Again, maybe I was biased, but it looked kind of obvious to me.
3. I think the best player in the game was Magister Ludi. Except for the fact that he had Pine as town (I still can't see how that's possible) all his scum-reads were in fact scum (especially here).
4. I liked Thor's play a lot too, too bad he got unlucky with those tracks. I think he could have a decent shot at winning.
5. I think calcifer did some nice plays, but he wall-o-texted way to much. In the end I think a lot of his analysis was just lost in those huge walls.
6. town did not deserve to win this. However, I still don't understand how town could lose after hohums obvious fake-claim.
7. blackscum played very, very aggressively. It payed off, cause town was lost already. I think it could have gone very, very bad, though. Well, they took the gamble and won. Congratulations
8. In a one-scum game, red scum would have definitely owned the town. They were flying under the radar always, and hadn't it been for black-scum's over aggressiveness, they would have never died. Two of them were killed at night, the other two were lynched as a result of a black-scum gamble. So I think redscum has a too calm way of playing here, which didn't quite work out in this game.
Show
Currently modding:
Newbie 1133

Coming soon:
Red Herring Mafia
flinter
flinter
Goon
flinter
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1584 (ISO) » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:04 am

Post by flinter »

Thanks for modding Tasky. The game was a lot of fun, although I got shot. Thank you for winning the game for us, Pine and Hohum, when I was gone!
please, don't kill me.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #1585 (ISO) » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:51 am

Post by hohum »

flinter wrote:Thanks for modding Tasky. The game was a lot of fun, although I got shot. Thank you for winning the game for us,
Pine and Hohum
town, when I was gone!

Fixed.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #1586 (ISO) » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:00 am

Post by hohum »

Duplicity wrote:Honestly, after Pine wasn't lynched when a) we flipped tracker and b) he claimed to have tracked our own goon to killing us, it was pretty clear the town's bullshit detectors were turned off.

Not only were they turned off but I think someone managed to pepper a few high-powered bullshit acceptors in there somewhere. I mean, I had to bus one scum for 3 days to get him lynched and I had to claim investigation results to get the other lynched (which nearly didn't happen BTW)
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1587 (ISO) » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Post by Thor665 »

I actually think this setup favored town pretty strongly. It was a setup ripe for town breakage. All of my accurate calls in the dead QT (and in thread) were easily based off the most simplistic setup spec it was laughable. Yeah, there was a ton of scum, but town should have been eating their faces because by Day 3 9and certainly by Day 4+) scum functionally had no allowable false PR claims.

I'll admit...yeah, they actually did use some, and even sat behind blatantly obvious scum claims, but I don't think that's the setup's fault.

I had a great time Tasky - though I should have stuck with just the neighboring for a while - probably would have caught a lot of scum and via my NK protection possibly lasted till late enough to make a play for win via killing. I just got too excited once I could start stabbing people to death. Ah, well.
Tasky
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Tasky
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1588 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:57 am

Post by Tasky »

Thor665 wrote:I actually think this setup favored town pretty strongly. It was a setup ripe for town breakage. All of my accurate calls in the dead QT (and in thread) were easily based off the most simplistic setup spec it was laughable. Yeah, there was a ton of scum, but town should have been eating their faces because by Day 3 9and certainly by Day 4+) scum functionally had no allowable false PR claims.

Don't forget, however, that in this setup PR-fakeclaims weren't needed at all. With the large amount of VT's this setup had, fakeclaiming (or even worse, real-PR-claiming) was actually a very bad idea. I think scum was way to over-agressive trying to confirm themselves as town too much, which would then punish them with a shot in the back from the other team.

Probably scum should have needed to realize the setup they were in earlier, so they wouldn't have exposed themselves so much.
Maybe, but I'm not sure, not using the Watchers/Trackers would even have been optimal play. I liked the prisoner's dilemma- style thing here:
if both scumteams used w/t, they would both be punished. however, if the other team didn't, then using it would be best play.

I think scumteams had a very reasonable chance at winning (Looking back at stuff I'd say 40/25/25/10 is a good estimate for this games odds).
Show
Currently modding:
Newbie 1133

Coming soon:
Red Herring Mafia
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1589 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Post by Haylen »

This wasn't a win for any faction. Just a lose for the town.
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
hohum
hohum
Uncle Potbear
hohum
Uncle Potbear
Uncle Potbear

Post Post #1590 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Post by hohum »

Haylen wrote:This wasn't a win for any faction. Just a lose for the town.

A little bit of posturing from the losing scum team
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1591 (ISO) » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:19 am

Post by Thor665 »

Wait, should I be doing that?

Everyone is super lucky I got caught and lynched, because if I hadn't been lynched or NKed I would have won, fools!
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1592 (ISO) » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:22 am

Post by Pine »

;)

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
mastin2
mastin2
The Second Coming
mastin2
The Second Coming
The Second Coming

Post Post #1593 (ISO) » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:35 am

Post by mastin2 »

Lol.

It is probably true, Thor. :P

I suppose you got a little Distracted By The Shiney. :P
My academy.
Agnigi
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1594 (ISO) » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:38 am

Post by Bub Bidderskins »

Good game scum. This was an interesting setup, but I got lost a little to my relative inexperience.
Show
Total: 17/15/1
Town: 10/13/1
Scum: 7/2/0
Other: 0/0/0

"Bub Bidderskins-If he's scum, I'll catch him in 2 posts. If he's town, he'll probably be somewhat useful." ~Parama
Kise
Kise
Jack of All Trades
Kise
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1595 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:40 pm

Post by Kise »

Thanks, hohum.
They have escaped into the mansion where they thought it was safe.

Yet…
pappums rat
pappums rat
Mafia Scum
pappums rat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1596 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:24 am

Post by pappums rat »

This was a fun game to play in and to read along with after I died while I was still caught up. Now that I finished reading it I'll give my thoughts on it. I cant believe the town bought hohum's claim at the end, especially after he admitted before TS was lynched that he had faked the investigation. Town definately did not deserve to win this game. As for the setup, I think it was quite well thought out and original and pretty awesome, despite my initial misgivings when I saw how much "power" the scum had. Thanks for modding this one Tasky, it was pretty awesome.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Twistedspoon
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Twistedspoon
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1597 (ISO) » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:38 am

Post by Twistedspoon »

I still think Thor should've won

best faction by far :]
1 Thessalonians 5:21: Test everything, but hold fast onto what is good