petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2350 (ISO) » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:43 am

Post by petapan »

i think your going to find that most things are fundamentally nulltells and taht everything is circumstantial

teh only tell i've heard of that tends to be strongly reliable is the amished tell and even then it becomes irrelevant if you are aware of it (i think this game i even said i didn't really read bbmolla's posts)
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #2351 (ISO) » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:48 am

Post by Psyche »

My failure with the stats included 1) trying to use past data to predict future behavior, 2) giving more weight to this data than merited, 3) using the data blindly and with confirmation bias (Pine never actually said anyone was flailing until after I had died, and he accused scum, which the data suggests might be called town tell), and 4) not acting with a sufficient degree of theoretical background.

I do need a better way of scientifically investigating mafia. I'll try focusing on doing case studies of strategies that worked and turn them into models instead of searching for correlations. Correlation searching is both too tedious and unproductive, since they're never strong or predictive enough to make a difference in my scum hunting.

Or maybe instead of searching for strategies, I'll look for 'scumhunting virtues', characteristics of protown play...
The work will be more theoretical and less quantitative, but until I get a good theoretical handle, I don't think I'll be able to organize any quantitative data intelligently...

A lot of you guys' complaints about it was pretty bullish, though. How can you complain about sample size when the data you use to make your own scumhunting decisions is MUCH more sparse? That seems like setting a double standard that I can't take seriously. Everyone gets a sense of what makes someone scummy from their knowledge of past games. What makes my attempt to do so regarding flailing somehow less meaningful?
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #2352 (ISO) » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:51 am

Post by Psyche »

Even though you were scum, you found a lot of scum using a rather systematic method. I totally need to see if I can figure that thing out...
TeChNoWC
TeChNoWC
Mafia Scum
TeChNoWC
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2353 (ISO) » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:53 pm

Post by TeChNoWC »

@crypto: UN didn't get me lynched anyway, I did (plus a bit of help from Kairyuu).

I honestly don't think I would have helped much endgame. I didn't read the thread militantly but even on my death, most of my scumreads were townies (I was starting to suspect mogri was town, but I would have pushed through probs 2-3 townie mislynches and then been lynched for it myself). I pushed hard for red's lynch and was right about that, but little else. I thought CF was the last scum. I probably would have attempted to get people to look at peta more critically (he seemed to get waaaay too much trust), but I probs would have followed him like the others nonetheless.

In hindsight it was probably good I got lynched when I did because I would have most likely led town down a trail of destruction. Take BK for example. I never suspected him as maf for a second, yet his voting was obviscum I just never picked up on it. I also thought both UN and Hiraki were town. I thought Pine was scum until the very end where he had good town play (I thought anyway). CF seemed keen to survive in lylo and his comment about lylo early on made me think he knew about the 4 man scum teams (rather than three) earlier than town was meant to.

I'm sure if I was playing and actively reading I might have had slightly better reads than this had I survived, but they still probably would have been too far off the mark and I would have destroyed town and myself way before lylo, so I am kind of glad I died when I did. I'm not sure why Kairyuu didn't try and support me and leave me around to get through mislynches, particularly when I don't think whiteknighting Mogri would have given him towncred seeing as he tried to chop up a towny with no flak (reads out of his arse should have screamed scum really). Scum could have benefited from keeping me around but maybe he thought I would be dangerous later on, idk. I probs would have got inte lynched earlier than he did but that would have been probs my only saving grace.
"TeCh was a textbook pro-town obv town all-around town townie.
the entire town decided to lobotomize itself and lynch the most obvious townie in the game" crypto
"Techno played a hell of a scum game, one of my best newbie scum players" bv310
"Tech, you carried my fat ass, that Vig shot took more balls then I had" AP
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #2354 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:57 am

Post by Pine »

Eh. I tend to be a late bloomer. The more information and flips I have, the better I get. I know, so does everyone, but I'm usually utter rubbish in the early game, and right on the ball in late game.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2355 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:34 am

Post by Slaxx »

good game peta

very very vaguely skimmed this when i was bored because of the setup/playerlist
Matias
Matias
Mafia Scum
Matias
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2356 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:36 am

Post by Matias »

In post 2355, Slaxx wrote:good game peta

very very vaguely skimmed this when i was bored because of the setup/playerlist

Were you able to tell that I was scum right away?

I'd be disappointed if you didn't
Formerly DemonHybrid. I play mafia extremely occasionally. I run the Song Contest. You can find me there.
My GTKAS
My old account
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2357 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:52 am

Post by Slaxx »

Haha I didn't start until after you flipped, confirmation bias etc

I started literally right after the string of red punches which I Think ended with you (on phone and lazy)
Matias
Matias
Mafia Scum
Matias
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2358 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:18 am

Post by Matias »

You're my best friend when I'm town, and my worst enemy when I'm scum
Formerly DemonHybrid. I play mafia extremely occasionally. I run the Song Contest. You can find me there.
My GTKAS
My old account
Slaxx
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Slaxx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2359 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:26 am

Post by Slaxx »

Except during murder in the desert ;)
Duplicity
Duplicity
Goon
Duplicity
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2360 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Post by Duplicity »

Peta played a very strong game.

Towns biggest mistake was the Tech lynch and probably the early vote in 3 way though I think Peta had the game locked up at that point anyway.
There are three ways of dealing with difference: domination, compromise, and integration. By domination only one side gets what it wants; by compromise neither side gets what it wants; by integration we find a way by which both sides may get what they wish. - Mary Parker Follett.
crypto
crypto
Mafia Scum
crypto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2361 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:02 am

Post by crypto »

haha i just read the dead chat theamatuer is such a dumb little twat
Blonde Doctor
Blonde Doctor
Goon
Blonde Doctor
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2362 (ISO) » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:08 am

Post by Blonde Doctor »

I would just like to point out that I forgot who my scum partners were and legitimately thought Matias was scummy for telling someone to "see for themselves." It was not an opportunistic whatever he called it, by any means. I was quite surprised when I found out he was my partner and tried to turn around my accusations on me, when I was just being honest. Are you always that abrasive? Do you always think you can bus your partners and carry the game better than them?

Though I have to admit, his reactions to my accusations were worse than what I originally thought was scummy. Surprising that he made it that far after that.

Also, I do not understand how people can stand a game this long... :?
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2363 (ISO) » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:15 am

Post by inte »

i thought it was sorta average
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.
Matias
Matias
Mafia Scum
Matias
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2364 (ISO) » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:29 am

Post by Matias »

In post 2362, Blonde Doctor wrote:I would just like to point out that I forgot who my scum partners were and legitimately thought Matias was scummy for telling someone to "see for themselves." It was not an opportunistic whatever he called it, by any means. I was quite surprised when I found out he was my partner and tried to turn around my accusations on me, when I was just being honest. Are you always that abrasive? Do you always think you can bus your partners and carry the game better than them?

Though I have to admit, his reactions to my accusations were worse than what I originally thought was scummy. Surprising that he made it that far after that.

Also, I do not understand how people can stand a game this long... :?

oh

seeing as how that was the only decent move made from our team all game, this kinda shows why we lost
My GTKAS
My old account
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2365 (ISO) » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

The end!
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”