Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #2725 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:06 pm

Post by Sotty7 »

In post 2718, Huntress wrote:Would shorter deadlines have helped or hindered this game? I'm in two minds about this.
Shorter night deadlines for sure. Those nights were killer, no lie. The day deadlines worked for me simply because I was so busy most of the day but I'm sure you'll get different opinions on that.

I thought Rainbow did a good job of sounding pretty damn genuine when she became all resigned to her lynch and junk. I am just a sucker for that kind of thing. The only time I got tempted to lynch Rainbow was when HS helped me see that her slot wasn't on any of the lynching wagons. I found that to be a red flag, but I needed more time to read though some other things I was thinking.

Overall despite being apathetic at times we played well as town and I'm pretty impressed we were able to pull this one out. I agree with Thesp that emo stands out, she was crazy town and helped really push us a long when we needed it. I remember thinking she might had been an alt, just by the way she was posting and at times very insightful posts.

Thanks everyone for playing and thanks you Huntress for modding!
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2726 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Post by Aegor »

I almost unvoted RBD because of her last post attempting to clear kab, so it almost worked.
Currently partying at the
M A S Q U E R A D E
-- a Large Normal for 21 revelers.
HighShroomish
HighShroomish
Goon
HighShroomish
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2727 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:14 pm

Post by HighShroomish »

Wow, so guess if I hadn't mistakenly hammered we would still be going O.O
GG all. It was really fun.
Aegor
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Aegor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2728 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Post by Aegor »

If scum do not mind, could we have their QT?
Currently partying at the
M A S Q U E R A D E
-- a Large Normal for 21 revelers.
Rainbowdash
Rainbowdash
Mafia Scum
Rainbowdash
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2729 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Post by Rainbowdash »

As always I will never post it unless every member has said they are fine with it being posted (and wont post it if any scum doesn't want it posted for any reason), but don't have an issue with it
You don't earn
loyalty
in a day. You earn it day by day
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #2730 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Game balance is fine. If anything I would expect scum to win slightly more often than Town. Town just actually did a good job of narrowing down the scum in this game; usually there is at least one scum who is just considered Town and takes home the game. In Mountainous Games, it only takes one, and there are
no
tools to catch them by. (The best tool for catching good scum in a Mountainous game is just having more lynches or forcing more nightkills so "Town"-scum have to inexplicably keep surviving nightkills; and, of course, a general willingness for the Town to reassess its opinions).

20:4 has been run before, and scum crushed (MrBuddyLee got his title from such a game). The norm was 10:2 but scum won so often (i.e., never lost a single game) that the norm became 11:2 to give the Town an extra lynch. Even then I am fairly confident scum has had a ridiculously high win percentage. 16:3, then, is
well
within the range of balanced both in theory and practice.
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2731 (ISO) » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Post by Zdenek »

Shorter night deadlines would be great.
I have secret plans and clever tricks.
- The Enormous Crocodile.
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2732 (ISO) » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:13 am

Post by Zdenek »

In post 703, Zdenek wrote:
In post 699, Zdenek wrote:Continuing to look into things, I really dislike Maestro chastising Maenara for her vote on emogirl, when he was voting emogirl himself.
Hey, Maestro also did it with Kaboom in his 361.

There's basically no way I would vote for Slaandar at this point, since he got me on to to him, and Maestro would be a great lynch.
I am most disappointed in voting Slandaar.
I have secret plans and clever tricks.
- The Enormous Crocodile.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2733 (ISO) » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 2721, Albert B. Rampage wrote:I'm seriously disappointed my slot wasn't replaced. It could have turned the tide of the game.
I'm
seriously disappointed that in nearly two weeks of advertising for a replacement no one was willing to take it on. Maybe if you were that invested in it you should have stayed to see it through?

In post 2725, Sotty7 wrote:Shorter night deadlines for sure.
Yes. I think in future I'll probably do 48 hours with an automatic extension to 72 if it's at a weekend.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2734 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:34 am

Post by The Fonz »

OK, so quickly:

Huntress, I'm afraid PJ was right about the modkills. When you have two empty slots and can't find a replacement for either, you modkill both or neither. Killing one and not the other just begs for people to suspect partiality, however offended you might be at the thought - because there's no good reason for an impartial mod to do it.

Felt I was strawmanned a bit this game, but meh, who cares, town won!
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2735 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:44 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

I didn't have time to read the game.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
kabooooom
kabooooom
Mafia Scum
kabooooom
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2736 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:33 am

Post by kabooooom »

Huntress- +1 to shorter day and night deadlines. Maybe keep 2 weeks until around 50% of players are alive. Then maybe reduce day deadline to 1 or 1.5 week.
Nothing to see here, move on! :P
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2737 (ISO) » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2738 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:26 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 2724, Rainbowdash wrote:
In post 2722, Albert B. Rampage wrote:15 vts vs 3 scum is also OP town
No its not. If anything that's OP scum.
I kind of disagree with both statements. I think it's about as balanced as history has shown.
In post 2730, petroleumjelly wrote:Game balance is fine. If anything I would expect scum to win slightly more often than Town. Town just actually did a good job of narrowing down the scum in this game; usually there is at least one scum who is just considered Town and takes home the game. In Mountainous Games, it only takes one, and there are
no
tools to catch them by. (The best tool for catching good scum in a Mountainous game is just having more lynches or forcing more nightkills so "Town"-scum have to inexplicably keep surviving nightkills; and, of course, a general willingness for the Town to reassess its opinions).

20:4 has been run before, and scum crushed (MrBuddyLee got his title from such a game). The norm was 10:2 but scum won so often (i.e., never lost a single game) that the norm became 11:2 to give the Town an extra lynch. Even then I am fairly confident scum has had a ridiculously high win percentage. 16:3, then, is
well
within the range of balanced both in theory and practice.
I can agree with this, it's more backup than I had. :lol:
Though I still advocate being confident in your reads precludes no lynching as a good strategy.
In post 2727, HighShroomish wrote:Wow, so guess if I hadn't mistakenly hammered we would still be going O.O
GG all. It was really fun.
...maybe. I dunno, probably, I'm not a speed lyncher at heart.
In post 2736, kabooooom wrote:Huntress- +1 to shorter day and night deadlines. Maybe keep 2 weeks until around 50% of players are alive. Then maybe reduce day deadline to 1 or 1.5 week.
I'm not sure how I feel about this - to a certain extent conversation is the one power of this game, and I think scum need it as much as anyone. As a scum player I would appreciate the ability to drag out days and punish town for not being able to get their act together.

Maybe adjust the nights by allowing scum to say when their discussion is over?
It does appear that the scum didn't need the nights as long as they were, I'll admit.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #2739 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:32 am

Post by Thesp »

I've got to side with Huntress on the replacement/modkill issue. There are no good answers (especially in a game this insanely long) when you can't get a replacement after two weeks of actively searching, even offering to cross-replace. (The only reason I replaced in was to help the mod in another game I was in, and Huntress replaced into that game.) I'm having a hard time imagining a circumstance where a modkill after a full game day of two weeks of fruitless replacement
isn't
warranted. It's not a perfect solution, but it's the least bad one there. (Notably it shrunk the number of lynches the town would get over the course of the game, so it hurt the town, but we seemed to recover okay.

I also agree that Rainbowdash's resigned posts about who to lynch after her death were very convincing and almost caused me to pull off and push for kabooooom first.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2740 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:10 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 2739, Thesp wrote:I also agree that Rainbowdash's resigned posts about who to lynch after her death were very convincing and almost caused me to pull off and push for kabooooom first.
:(
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #2741 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:27 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 2740, Thor665 wrote:
In post 2739, Thesp wrote:I also agree that Rainbowdash's resigned posts about who to lynch after her death were very convincing and almost caused me to pull off and push for kabooooom first.
:(
What's the frowny face for?

I admit I had a lot of difficulty understanding your terser responses throughout the game.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2742 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:46 am

Post by Thor665 »

I frown upon those who take 'resignation posts' as a town tell. It falls into the 'town are okay being lynched' tell which I find equally deplorable. I also think 'lynch X after I die, they are scumz!' is one of the most basic scum moves, honestly.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2743 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:47 am

Post by Thor665 »

And I keep playing with shorter replies - I used to be a wall fiend and I can and will still wall at the drop of a hat.
I actually tend to go shorter when I'm really trying to make a point...maybe that doesn't work?
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #2744 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:53 am

Post by Thesp »

In post 2742, Thor665 wrote:I frown upon those who take 'resignation posts' as a town tell. It falls into the 'town are okay being lynched' tell which I find equally deplorable. I also think 'lynch X after I die, they are scumz!' is one of the most basic scum moves, honestly.
It wasn't just the fact that she posted a "lynch so-and-so when I die", it was the tone and how it was posted. It stood in stark contrast to Bulbazak, who reacted significantly differently to the possibility of his impending lynch.
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2745 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:01 am

Post by Thor665 »

I dunno. I find it easy to fake tone and usually expect others to be the same - sometimes it helps me and sometimes it hurts me.
Bulbazak
Bulbazak
Survivor
Bulbazak
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2746 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Post by Bulbazak »

In post 2744, Thesp wrote:It stood in stark contrast to Bulbazak, who reacted significantly differently to the possibility of his impending lynch.
I was behind and apathetic at the end, so there's that.

Also, the push that got Garmr to replace was a policy lynch based on his actions in Fire and Ice, where he threw the game for his team and played against his wincon. There's no way I want to play with such a player in any game, so I made it my mission to prioritize his lynch (which I had to go for anyway).
Bulbazak is so town that everytime someone votes him Mastin coughs blood.
- Nachomamma8, Maniacal Street Mafia

V/LA during weekends. Now leave me alone!
emeraldemon
emeraldemon
Goon
emeraldemon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2747 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:34 pm

Post by emeraldemon »

In post 2743, Thor665 wrote:I actually tend to go shorter when I'm really trying to make a point...maybe that doesn't work?
I actually really prefer shorter posts to walls, especially quote walls. For the most part I'd rather someone just paraphrase / reference, like "In post 666 you said I'm satan, but clearly...." rather than quote it, which takes more space and time to read. As a bonus paraphrasing shows someone how you understood their post, which may bring to light any miscommunication.

Omit needless words!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #2748 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:44 pm

Post by Thor665 »

The problem is - most people operate on different wavelengths. I go short to try to catch the people like you. I go longer to try to catch the Thesps. It's why i often post walls and then do little bullet point add ons in the next few minutes.

Mostly I just want attention ;)
Slandaar
Slandaar
Survivor
Slandaar
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2749 (ISO) » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Post by Slandaar »

I feel like Rainbow doesn't like me very much :(

I think the chance of you being able to PL me Rainbow if that situation ever came to pass (it won't so why you continually repeat it is beyond me) the chance is probably 0. The chance I can PL you is much greater though by employing the old 'I am better than Rainbow so if one of us must die obviously it is him' strategy; simple and effective.

Numpties like Rainbow do amuse me; the point of saying you don't like someone who isn't in the game anymore just goes over my head except to get a response such as this which he now has.

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”