Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2150 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:56 am

Post by Nero Cain »

This is balanced, in
a way
. I don't think that games are balanced unless vts are 50% +1 and there are 6. So according to this setup 2 neighbors=1 vt. I mean neighbors maybe don't add that much town power and
sometimes
they can be a source of paranoia.

If scum had played perfectly I think we'd have a fighting chance and we clearly didn't.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #2151 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:57 am

Post by Creature »

Still would be interested to hear from implosion and RadiantCowbells why they approved this setup
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #2152 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:57 am

Post by Creature »

Neighbors were actually sorta millers to neapolitan
Sigh
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2153 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:04 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

how so?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion
Pronoun: He or She. Idc.

Post Post #2154 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

Like I said earlier, they're a nerf since they can't be cleared by the Neo. Which is why I still thought Rabid could've been scum with a basically Godfather pass to the Neo.
Wake1
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Wake1
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2155 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:55 pm

Post by Wake1 »

There should've been 4 Scum.
"It's wise to be... cautious... with Wake."
— House*
"What Wake lacks in charisma, he makes up for it in pure analytic power."
— Nosferatu*
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2156 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:00 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Yeah, I definitely don’t think I was in the wrong to assume 4 scum, but that’s twice in 2 years I’ve been burned that way
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2157 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:20 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

that's why I thought there was a traitor until Frost reminded me that we have to be informed.

What are your thoughts on the setup, leaf?

Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2158 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:38 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I liked it for the most part, but I do think it was town sided.

I think 15 players with only 3 scum is rough., however I do think that’s something the scum team need to be aware of and play accordingly.

I feel of like one of the Neighbor’s were a Mafia 1-shot BP Neighbor Traitor, this game could have been solid.

I get why Implosion wasn’t trying to have a traitor, but I think this was exactly the setup that could have used a traitor well.

I don’t think this was unwinnable by scum by any means, Gamma site flaking probably hurt.

Full watcher is rough, but there was an enabler.

Tracker outs PR’s.

I get the setup, i don’t think it’s incredibly unbalanced, but 3 scum is the roughest part for me.

Traitor would have been perfect here.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2159 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I joined the NRG about 4-5 months ago, I believe, so this year, I’m going to be modding some Normal games as well as my large themes, so keep an eye out for that if anyone’s interested.

I’ll be modding my Normals on my Pretentious account.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #2160 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Post by Creature »

Always wanted to be part of NRG in some way, but not sure if I should gain more experience reviewing setups because I only reviewed one closed setup in this site
Sigh
AaronFrost
AaronFrost
Mafia Scum
AaronFrost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2161 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:05 pm

Post by AaronFrost »

Yeah I played pretty bad this game. I knew once i repped in the Boon would sniff me out eventually. Gamma flaking also didnt help.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2162 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 2160, Creature wrote:Always wanted to be part of NRG in some way, but not sure if I should gain more experience reviewing setups because I only reviewed one closed setup in this site
Just gotta review more, mod more, all the like, then apply.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #2163 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:23 pm

Post by Creature »

In post 2162, Flavor Leaf wrote:
In post 2160, Creature wrote:Always wanted to be part of NRG in some way, but not sure if I should gain more experience reviewing setups because I only reviewed one closed setup in this site
Just gotta review more,
mod more
, all the like, then apply.
Oh geez
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #2164 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:23 pm

Post by Creature »

idk where I can review more?
Sigh
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2165 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

You just kind of have to put yourself out there for it. There’s a thread somewhere on site for it, but backup modding is required for a lot of large themes, and for instance, I generally just have my backup mod as a reviewer.

However, it’s kind of different with Normals because there isn’t really a place for you to review normals because the NRG is there for that.

Design some setups, and get someone to queue to mod it, or mod it yourself in Normals really.

Kinda just gotta be proactive about it.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2166 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Also, if it helps, I think the amount of Vote Counts you had was fine.

I don’t agree with the whole “mods needs to post multiple vote counts per day” kind of mentality, one vote count every 2 days is fine.

If there’s A LOT of pages, then yeah, you can feel free to raise that count, but I don’t think it’s necessary. It also gives players something to play around, so when there is a vote count, they can play some games with it.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2167 (ISO) » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:36 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

You can also just PM people asking if you can join in on their review process for upcoming games, usually for themes, even if they already have a reviewer.

Modding and designing games you’ll just overtime be recognized for it.

If you ever wanna mod a BooneyToonz :shrug:
Rabid Schnauzer
Rabid Schnauzer
Goon
Rabid Schnauzer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2168 (ISO) » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:16 am

Post by Rabid Schnauzer »

In post 2166, Flavor Leaf wrote:Also, if it helps, I think the amount of Vote Counts you had was fine.

I don’t agree with the whole “mods needs to post multiple vote counts per day” kind of mentality, one vote count every 2 days is fine.
Strongly disagree. IMO one VC per 24 hours is the absolute minimum. One every 12 hours is better, plus additionals as needed at end of phase.
Rabid Schnauzer
Rabid Schnauzer
Goon
Rabid Schnauzer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2169 (ISO) » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:17 am

Post by Rabid Schnauzer »

I think scum should get a RB pretty much every game. Current site meta is for town PRs to claim early. But, not knowing if there's a doc, scum are afraid to shoot them. A scum RB overcomes that. Wake's early claim should have been a detriment to town. Instead, it was an advantage.
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion
Pronoun: He or She. Idc.

Post Post #2170 (ISO) » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:20 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

It was only an advantage after they didn't listen to me when I said I wae indesicive. Granted, I lied about n1 but still, didn't even touch him n2 so he could actually do his job.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #2171 (ISO) » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:36 am

Post by Creature »

I plan to transform this into a Wattpad collection of stories. Here are all short stories I wrote this game (roughly in order of production):

Spoiler: The Experiment - Prologue
(Credit for this cool image goes to David Urbinati, from GIPHY)

The Experiment - Prologue

"This is the experiment", said the older scientist standing triumphantly.

"What experiment", asked the younger confused scientist.

The older scientist grabbed the blanket covering the experiment and removed it, revealing a minuscule Manhattan-sized city surrounded by ocean and consisting of multiple skyscrappers inside a large circular aquarium. The younger scientist was left in awe.

"This is the human civilization, but in small scale. As I said before, this is where I like to test large scale disasters", said the older scientist, "it seems they have recovered pretty well from that time I bombed them with small meteories two years ago", continued the older scientist in disdain as some flying cars were visible.

"What are you planning to do with them?", asked the younger scientist.

"Let me see: I already did tsunami, hurricanes, famine, nuclear disasters...", answered the scientist, "but this time I have something bigger in mind, that should attack them mentally".

"What is it? What is it?", repeated the younger scientist in interest.

The two scientists stared each other. When the younger scientist read the older scientist's expression, his mood immediately changed.

"Wait, you can't put your life problems on them!", exclamed the younger scientist.

"Of course I can, this is my experiment", responded the scientist offended, "I'm gonna fetch for my notepad, you stay here and keep an eye on them".

The older scientist left the room, leaving the younger scientist alone with the experiment. The younger scientist grabbed a microscope and viewed the city through it. There was a large slime-like population walking silly and happily through the limestone streets. The younger scientist removed the cover of the aquarium and told them:

"Now you all shall see what is a real disaster"

Spoiler: Behind the Religion

Behind the Religion

Street JH711, house A-155. That was the address I was given to fulfill my job. And there was the street JH711, one of the multiple streets in one of the poorest zones of the city.

It was one of the countless workers' streets that were formed when the wage disparity between low workers and employers grew astronomically. Although it was dark, I could see it was made of overtaken asphalt designed only for busses, lacked basic resources such as light and proper electrical wiring. Looking from there, it was quite sad.

In order to keep the workers motivated, the wealthiest members of the society designed one "miraculous" religion. The most faithful reported to have found money scattered in their backyard and were told by the religion leaders it was a result of their faith, hence why the Universarian got so known.

My job was supposed to throw the money in their backyard. Whoever lived in the house A-155 would be another witness of the "miracle". I just had to be quick.

I grabbed the loan of thousands, enough to call it a "miracle", and threw multiple chunks into the backyard carelessly. They would call it a miracle anyway.

However, I was surprised with the front door opening in the witching hour. I immediately ran away for my car, hoping they have not noticed, but they probably did. I knew what would be the consequence if words got out, because I already was in their spot before I replaced my now deceased predecessor.

I needed to silence them in some way. When I calmed myself, I showed up at house A-155 before they would go to the Universarian temple. This time I was ready to fix it, for good or for worse.

I had to knock on the fragile wooden door. An older woman showed up and handed me the loan of money back.

"You have lost this", said her humbly.

"No, it's yours", I wanted to tell her, but the fear for my life stopped me. It was better she thought it was just an accident. So I just took the money and left.

"May the Lord be with you!", I heard her.

The next day I returned to reward her with the same loan and an extra loan. It wouldn't help her much, but it was the most I could hand. Though, I had to convincer her to take it.

"This...this feels like a miracle", said her after I convinced her to accept it, "but it's so different from what I hear".

"Some miracles are different", said I.

Damn, I thought, what was I doing? I had to tell her about it!

"Thank you, kind sir!", she thanked, "I knew the Lord would hand me, not money, but the gentle company of someone who cares for that old woman".

I smiled. But I knew It wasn't a miracle at all. I had to tell her, tell her she was fooled, that she had a wrong belief, that...her action back then was for nothing? That her hopes meant nothing? No, I couldn't!

"May the Lord be with you!", that was all I said before walking away. Should I have told her?

Spoiler: The Game of Minesweeper
(This image is credited to Elise's Scribbles)

The Game of Minesweeper

"I want to apply!", I firmly said.

The three smartest guys of my class stared at me amusingly, then erupted into laughter.

"You? Want to apply?", mocked the first one.

"Jesus! You gotta be the dumbest kid in the class. Even your jokes are stale and without meaning", mocked the second one.

"Do you want to be the mobile chair? Because that's all you can be", followed the third one.

"No, I really want to apply!", I repeated.

They erupted into laughter again, before one of them emerged and said:

"Listen D-, we're only A+ here. If you're that desperate for grade you have to ask us to allow you in our group, then you're really done".

"Yeah, we're the top at logic and excels every puzzle game", said the chubbier one.

"I bet he can't even play minesweeper!", shouted the shorter one.

They began laughing again, before I interrupted:

"I can play minesweeper!"

They all in unison exclamed an annoying "oooh!". The taller one grabbed one weird device and walked towards me, standing a little shorter than me.

"If you want to apply, then you will have to beat this", said he as he showed me the device containing a large board of small squares and a smiling face upside it.

"What is it?", I asked.

"It's a 50x50 minesweeper board, containing 625 mines. You can use the up and down and left and right buttons up here to select the tile you want to clean", showed the 4th grader, "I figured you'd know what it is about".

They began to laugh again, but I just grabbed the device. I selected the first tile and it revealed multiple empty tiles and a few with numbers in it. I clicked the tile with the number one on its corner and I heard an explosion.

One of the smart boys grabbed the device away from me and showed the other two. I could hear them laughing loudly.

"Give me back, I'm gonna win this time", I demanded. They gave it back to me visibly amused.

I tried again, and failed. Tried again, and failed. Every single time I have failed the laughing became stronger. Until I dropped the device on the floor and ran away, trying to hold the tears. I have never been so humiliated.

I returned home, went to my bedroom and locked the door. I threw my backpack accross the room and jumped on my bed.

Why did this have to happen with me? Why couldn't I just have better grades? I shouldn't have asked for the smarties' help. Or I should have forced my own way into them. Instead I accepted to play this goddamn minesweeper game.

My thoughts were interrupted when something fell in my head. It was the same kind of device I used, I just had forgot it there. My initial instinct was to throw it away, but when it turned on, I figured I could use it for training before I get ready to show them.

The device started with the minesweeper game, giving multiple boards option from 9x9 to the dreaded 50x50. Well, gotta take small steps, I thought.

I spent days working into just the 9x9. I could barely clear the board. When I did, I went to the 16x16 board.

I did a lot of exercises, from running to push ups, I have adopted a different diet that would help my concentration. I have designed an entire schedule ranging from all my chores to the time I'd spend training on the game. By the end of the month I was already in the 30x20 board, one before the 50x50.

I had only one more week before the project due, and I needed to join the smart kids group as soon as I could.

The next day I showed up at the same three kids. They seemed slightly amused, but it seemed they grew bored of me.

"What do you want?", asked the taller one.

I slapped my game device in front of them and set the board to 50x50. The first tiles were pretty fine and I excelled them easily. As I completed half of the board, their expression changed from smirking to surprised.

As I completed most of the board, I realized a crowd reunited around me. However, I had reached to a part I couldn't figure which tile to choose.

Oh freak!, I thought, it's a 50/50!, I paused, no, it's a lot of 50/50!

The smart kids each raised an eyebrow at me. I returned them with a challenging stare. I selected each tile and, for my luck, they happened to be correct. Everytime I got one right I could hear the crowd chanting "wow!".

I was down to the last tile. I had to choose one randomly and hope it was right. Either I would succeed or fail.

I selected it and for a few seconds the world stopped, until it revealed it was the correct last tile.

The crowd began to cheer and shout as I could spot the three smart kids all jaw-jarred in the most pure state of disbelief.

Spoiler: Who is There?

Who is There?

Knock knock

A man woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of something knocking. The source of the sound came from a room adjacent to his bedroom.

"Who is there?", asked him.

There was no answer. He decided to return to his bed, but soon the knocking began again. He got up and went to investigate it. The room was dark. It only had one big wardrobe occupying an entire wall.

"Hello...", whispered the man as he knocked the doors of the wardrobe.

He opened one by one until he reached the last. He grabbed the handle and pushed it slowly. It burst open spontaneously and a little girl jumped from it shouting boo at the top of her lungs.

The father shouted "ahh!" back and grabbed his daughter as she laughed hard. As they calmed down, the father said:

"Okay, sweetie, you gave dad quite a big scare, now return to sleep!"

The girl ran back to her bedroom. Her father followed her and when laid in the bed, he put the blanket over her. She still seemed excited.

"If you sleep well, tomorrow we'll have ice cream", said her father. She hyped up, but the father continued: "but you gotta sleep".

"I will, father", said her as she closed her eyes in an attempt to sleep.

"Sleep well, sweetie", said the father before returning to his bedroom.

The next weekend there was another knocking in the same wardrobe. The father went to investigate again.

"Who is there?", asked him, already knowing what.

He grabbed one handle and pushed the last door of the wardrobe open with an "aha!" expression, but nobody was there. He slowly closed the door and moved forward. Just as he reached the first door, it burst open and the same little girl showed up with a grimace.

The father pretended to be scared as his little daughter laughed hysterically. After the moment, he went to put her back to sleep.

It happened every weekend. The daughter would hide in one random wardrobe door and it was up for the father to find where was her. He already knew it was her trying to pull a scare, but always pretended to be scared and would ceremoniously grab her as she couldn't contain the laughter.

The daughter, at the time four years old, would grow up to join school, win spelling contests, excel science and geography, present seminaries, and son on. At that point, she knew her father was aware of her attempts to scare him and he was aware of her knowledge about that, but they kept doing it anyway.

She eventually graduated highschool and was approved to attend medicine at Cambridge University. Both father and his 17-years old daughter hugged each other before she would leave him for 5 years.

Separated, the father would expect every weekend for a knocking on his wardrobe, expecting to find his little girl there, waiting for her warm hug. On the other hand, the daughter would look at the wardrobe at her room in university and remember of her father.

As the years passed, the father began to drink and drink more compulsively. He became paranoid, angered and had short temper, would constantly fight his neighbors and even bought multiple guns incase he needed them.

The daughter finished medicine and got her first job as a resident doctor, just like she always wanted to help people. One day she was given a free weekend. Unsure of where to go, she remembered her father, and the wardrobe.

The door of her home was open and she carefully sneaked in, going directly into the room with that same wardrobe. She entered the middle door and began knocking it lightly, midly amused.

The middle-aged father was laying in the bed, pretty wasted, when he heard knocking.

"Who is there?", mumbled him.

There was no answer, just more knocking. He noticed the knocking wasn't coming from the front door, but rather from the adjacent room. He got up and began to look around for something.

He spotted the front door open and immediately fetched his M1911. He moved to the source of the sound and waited.

"Who is there?", screamed him again impatient.

There was no answer, so he grabbed one door handle. The door burst open and a figure jumped out of it. The middle-aged man, scared, shot it.

He saw in shock none other than his now 22-years old daughter with a horrified expression and blood dripping from her chest, before she fell loudly into the floor.

The father threw the gun away and grabbed his daughter's head.

"No, it couldn't be!", he was screaming and denying before shouting her name at the top of his lungs.

(This story was heavily inspired in the real story of Matilda and Bobby Crabtree, told in Daniel Goleman's Emotional Intelligence)

Spoiler: Something is Wrong

Something is Wrong

"Remi Jay Bellard, the terrorist known as 'Mr Explode', has been declared dead after his car fell off the cliff. After his attempt to trigger a bomb on the Jonas Camp Shopping Mall, he got involved in a car chase with the police and lost control of his car. The officers have inspected the accident and they concluded there was no way Remi could have ever survived".

Roger Morton threw the journal from 4 years ago to the side in anger.

"Are you fuming over that journal article all again?", said his wife, "He's dead, I told you to just drop it".

"I'm going to the bedroom", said the frustrated husband, climbing the stairs.

He opened his laptop and selected the videos he got from the shopping mall cameras. He flicked through the multiple videos until something caught his attention.

The video showed a suspicious hooded figure wearing gloves. It could only be Remi!, thought Roger. The figure moved to one restricted room and then the video stopped.

He wrote an entire email to the manager of the Jonas Camp Shopping with the video explaining about Bellard. The manager seemed skeptical, but asked further about it. Eventually the manager sent an email:

"The video is from three months ago and nothing has happened ever since. The hooded figure you're showing is probably just one of those teenagers that show up on the shopping every thursday".

The retired officer pressed further, but all he received was that he was too paranoid.

Frustrated, Morton closed the laptop and just laid on the bed. He should probably just forget it, the consensus says Remi has died in that car accident and countless evidences point that. Still, it felt wrong. He followed Mr Explode everywhere since he got famous from that central park incident. Multiple times the cops haven't noticed his traps, he slipped past their noses and costed almost a hundred lives. He wasn't dumb, he could have easily gotten away from that car accident. There was a great possibility the consensus was wrong.

Those thoughts bothered Roger as days and days passed and nothing ever was reported. He had to check it some day. The day came when he and his wife went to the shopping with their daughter. He told himself multiple times to not worry about it, but he couldn't comply.

"Wait here", he told his family as they passed through the same spot he found the hooded figure.

Roger sneaked in the same room he saw on the video and turned on the flashlight of his mobile. There was a metal ladder leading down to the underground.

The underground seemed like an abandoned car garage, now used to store whatever the shopping doesn't use. Among the mess it was, there was a huge blanket covering something. Roger removed it and to his "surprise" there was an inactive bomb under it. As soon the blanket was removed, the clock started ticking from 15:00 minutes.

"What are you doing?", Roger heard from the distance.

He shifted the flashlight onto a tanned man with crispy dark hair. In the tag he could read the word "manager".

"I told you! I told you!", said Roger frantically, "there's a bomb in here!".

The manager just smiled, pulled a pistol gun from his coat and said:

"Exactly!"

Roger immediately pulled a pistol gun from his own pocket and pointed at the manager, also known as Remi "Mr Explode" Bellard.

"I have an implant on myself that will autodetonate the bomb if it detects me dead", Bellard slowly said, "shoot me at your own risk".

Roger and Remi walked in circles pointing their guns at each other, waiting for someone's wrong step. The retired officer spotted some exposed cables with different colors. Roger remembered all attempts to defuse the bombs he planted. It took multiple failures, but he remembered the correct was always the blue one. Even four years ago when Remi tried to explode the shopping mall the bomb was defused cutting the blue cable.

Morton slowly lowered his gun to the range of the blue cable, but something made him stop his next action. What if I am wrong?, the thought echoed on his head.

"Why are you taking so long? Do it!", suggested Remi.

That only made Roger more paranoid, but he had to do something or else...

POW!

The gun flew away from his hand as blood started to drip from it.

"Oh, Roger! You're so careful yet that kind of hesitation kills you!", mocked the bomber, "the answer should have been pretty obvious. Blue is my favorite color and always will be. Glad I could count on your hesitation!"

The terrorist kept boasting about how he managed to escape from the car at the last moment and hide all the four years. Until four security guards showed up pointing their gun at him.

"Don't shoot him!", shouted Morton, "he has an implant!"

"Yeah, I do!", confirmed Remi pointing the gun at his own head.

Roger, with his good hand, called his wife and daughter and told them to just go away from the shopping. He discreetly pointed the blue cable to one of the security guards. The guard complied and shot the cable and the clock began to tick faster, as if it has turned into seconds.

"Aww! You were wrong!", exclamed the terrorist, "what now?".

The security guards hesitated, so Bellard started shooting one by one, each time exclaming "pow!".

"What now? What now, Roger Morton?", mocked him.

The clock was ticking faster and faster. Roger had to do something. He aimed at the laughing terrorist and shot him in the head multiple times just as the clock reached zero.

Roger waited the explosion, but nothing came, instead he just heard the bipping coming from the now red sensor. He approached it and one remaining security guard showed up on his side.

"Did it stop the bomb?", asked him.

Roger stared the bipping clock then looked directly into the security guard's eyes in despair and answered:

"No".

Spoiler: The Villain
(This scene was taken from the game Being One, by Psionic Games. I highly recommend you that game if you like puzzles and a backstory)

The Villain

(or Rise and Shine if you prefer)

“Rise and shine!”, spoke the first voice.

There was an eerie silence.

“Nothing happened at all”, stated the second voice.

The first figure approached the unconscious figure and after a few seconds, it said:

“Its heart has started beating”.

The sleeping figure suddenly snapped its eyes open.

"Where I am? What is this?", said the awaken figure very slowly with immense difficulty.

"Shh", whispered the first voice, "you're still recovering from the amnesia. Soon you will fulfill your job".

"What job", asked the awaken figure.

"To destroy your enemies and conquer the world", responded the first voice excited.

"The last past isn't in our plan…", interrupted the second voice.

The first figure slapped the second.

"Shush! It's just for emphasis", stated the first voice, "we aren't that villainous".

"Villain? I didn't agree to this!", exclaimed the awaken figure.

There was an eerie silence, until the first figure stepped up again and pointed to the door on the corner of the room:

"Past this door there are all the people that made your life a living hell. The man who screwed your car insurance, the woman that made you feel like shit during college, the mailman that never delivered you the letters, the guy that stole your newest phone. The people that destroyed your life are all past the door. You have agreed to this. You have agreed to take them one by one. They think you're dead, they won't ever see that coming. So rise and shine!".

The awaken figured walked towards the door and grabbed the handle.

"Once you walk past the door, there's no return", concluded the first figure.

The door opened and a bright light flooded the room.

Spoiler: The Competitor
(Original image designed by Cristian Chierici, from Behance)

The Competitor

"What are we?", asked the female teacher.

"Competitors!", responded the students in unison.

"What are we here for?", asked the teacher again.

"To excel the test!", responded the students.

The test...Nothing to worry about. It's a test every student at their fifteen takes that serves no purpose but to determine if they will have any future or not.

Every school day we had a mantra: "anyone is a rival, never trust anyone. You're the winner, they're the losers. Win the test, it means your future", something like that. Basically we were taught to see each other as none other than competitors.

It wasn't a surprise. Only a few selected winners would be able to live in the upside world, getting to choose what to work at, what to buy, where to live, how they want to live. The others would all be sent to work at an assigned low job getting nothing but the basic means to live.

During the first day of test, we were all forced to stand up for the flag and watch the long reigning governor talk about how the system is a necessity and how it is mandatory for us to pass the test if we want an actual life.

Soon it ended and we were assigned multiple long lines. The first test was spelling bee. The first in the line was given a helmet strapped to multiple cables and we could hear loud and clear he had to spell the word deoxiribosis something.

"D-E...-O-X-H no!-I", and the buzzer flew off.

I couldn't tell what was going on, but the participant seemed like to be dying of angsty.

"I'm just glad I wasn't given that word", I heard someone in my side say.

"They will probably give an equally difficult word to you", I answered.

The participant seemed surprised with my response, but shyly replied: "I don't know, I need to hope...I pass this test".

The countless minutes before my turn were marked with a lot of crying and screaming. One of the competitors tried to vandalize the equipment and was soon taken away by guards, I didn't want to know what would happen with him.

My anxiety rose up as my turn came closer and closer. When it was my turn, I hesitantly put the helmet on, completely covering my vision and muffling the external noise, and in a few seconds I could hear the word photosynthesis.

"P-H-O-T-O-S...", I started. What was the next letter? Was it an I or an Y? Ugh, I had to continue.

"...Y-N-T-H-...", I continued, but paused. Was there an H in there?

"E-S-I-S", I spelled the rest of the word.

Dammit, did I do it right? I'm unsure...

To my relief, the blackness turned into greenness as I was approved. I removed my helmet and stepped off the stage. However, my relief didn't last long as the next test started right after.

The routine was the same of the yesterday's. I had to watch multiple participants have their future crashed in the stage, but I didn't even flinch, they were mere competitors anyway. Now only losers.

I still got anxious the moment I was given the helmet to wear. The darkness, the silence...

"What is the most approximate integer number of the square root of 1969?", asked the voice.

I had one trick for it! Just that it had to be an exact square. How could I possibly figure this...

"10...9...8...", I heard one number every two seconds and realized I was screwed.

The trick I had in mind consisted of something like 50-x and x-25 where x is the correct answer. What was x-25 meant to be?

"4...3...", I heard.

42-25 equals 17. 43-25 equals 18. 44-25 equals 19. 19 is the first two digits of the number!"

"44!", I answered almost instantly.

Was it really 44? What if it was closest to 43 or 45 instead?

My anxiety was relieved when I saw the green light invade my sight. I removed my helmet and stepped off the stage. Today I had my future still secured. As I stepped off, I could see the same competitor from before shyly waving at me.

In the second day we were all reunited in the same place. This time the organizers of the event went to explain about how they filtered most of the "natural-born losers" and just 35% of us were left. They also said the tests today would filter even more of that 35%.

The first test of the day was awfully similar to Simon, the memory game. I could do fairly well at it, but my heart sank when we were told only four from the fifteen of us would make it, or less.

The test consisted of stepping in the correct color in the sequence every three seconds. It was designed to give advantage to the first participants to step in. At first it seemed an awful follow the crowd game, but as it progressed, frequently some of the competitors were pushed off or sometimes swayed away with the wrong going competitors. I found myself lucky to not have been pushed off yet.

As the number of participants thinned down to 7, I could see one of them directly signalling me to follow him. I recognized him as the competitor from the first day.

"What are you doing?", I tried to ask him, but he didn't answer.

At the time there was five of us left, we had been following that same competitor. I remember I stepped on red when suddenly he pushed me to the green color.

I felt betrayed until I realized the color green shine opposed to the red and other colors. Besides the 'ally' and me, all contestants were eliminated at once. I was left shocked I could barely move to the final correct color, concluding the challenge.

The next challenge consisted of multiple different-shaped pieces scattered in the ground and we were each given the goal to build 9 cubes. I felt a chill in the spine when I heard there wasn't enough pieces for everybody and you could build more than 9 cubes to eliminate other competitors.

I decided to stick to building just 9 cubes. However, I struggled trying to catch the pieces as the other contestants kept pushing me off. I could build 6 cubes but there were very few pieces remaining.

No, it couldn't be! There just weren't enough pieces. The challenge would end as soon no more cubes could be formed and the remaining pieces would hardly make two cubes.

I could build one more cube, but I knew it wouldn't be enough. When I returned to my table I found two built cubes underneath it. I grabbed them both and stared at that same competitor.

Why? I wanted to ask, but my necessity to win didn't let me question it. The day ended with a lot of contestants getting escorted out in extreme agony, and there I was, going to another day with someone else's help.

Now that I was relieved, back to my school dorm, the previous question returned to me full force. We were taught to see each other as competitors for the one spot. Each classmate was just another rival to the desired chance of a future. Every project it has been the same tribal competition to be the best, it didn't stop cheating, copying, sabotages, even utterly destroying someone's life right there.

That's it! That competitor is probably saving me for something, but for what? He could have easily eliminated me in the Simon game, he had built a lot of cubes during the second test yet gave me the chance to pass the second test. Now he's an huge incognito, an incognito I'll have to get rid of.

The third day started. There started the initial ceremony and the "we filtered out most losers" and yadda yadda. Today I would have to know what that competitor is on.

In the first stage we were each put in groups of 9 and to my horror that same competitor was there.

"From now on you're all a team. The next challenge you will play against other teams and a few teams will remain", said the voice.

Something was clearly wrong with this. We weren't meant to work together. We were all competitors. The best ones could easily get screwed if they take a bad team.

"The catch is: first you will have to vote one of your members to be eliminated. You have 5 minutes to discuss among yourselves", continued the voice before going silent.

It started shyly, but soon began a heated fight between choosing who's the weakest. I could hear my name being pointed multiple times enough to frighten me. We were mostly the same level, but I was the only one who got somebody's help, I was the one stepping down. Maybe this is what that competitor reserved me?

"I have a solution", stepped up a considerably taller competitor, with a smurk on his face, "we should probably all do fine and it won't really matter who is out. Instead we should consider voting out someone who is threatening".

"Or better", a girl stepped up, "we vote out someone who is in an alliance".

I moved away slightly from the group. Multiple thoughts began to cross my mind. It was obvious she was referring to me and the other competitor, who else would her?

Before there was a proper discussion, the voice returned to say the time was up. We each were given a monitor with the picture of each member to vote. After it was done, a bigger monitor showed all our pictures and started revealing our votes. I noticed mostly votes were aimed towards that same competitor and another guy.

I saw my picture and my vote revealing to be that same competitor. I saw him moving his eyes to match mine and he seemed just speechless. I had to do this, I knew what would be the implications of trusting an alliance.

The voting ended with the other guy getting voted instead. I saw him being escorted out of the room as he threw all kinds of insult to the rest of us. At least that explains why he passed the spelling bee.

The team challenge consisted of multiple challenges where each member of the group was given a task. There was some kind of a course and we could only start a task once someone finished theirs. When I finished my task, I stared my 'ally's eyes and just told him:

"We're not allies at all".

He shrugged and rushed to do his task. Fortunately we were able to score among the 40% top scoring teams. The next test, as opposed to the team challenged, paired each of us against each other. I stared wide-eyed when my opponent showed up: it was my ex-ally.

We were each put in a five feet tall platform and given a wooden thin sword. We were each meant to topple the other off the platform.

"Good luck", I heard my competitor say.

We fought each other, our bodies dancing to the rhythm of the clashes.

"Why?", I asked in the moment we trimmed each other, "why did you help me? Weren't you taught that we're all rivals? To not trust anyone?".

"That we're the winners? They're the losers?", continued my adversary.

"That I gotta win the test? That means my future?", I finished.

"And so does it means my future?", added my rival, "don't you realize it? How can you possibly live solely on reputation? On fame? On material goods? How can you possibly live when your interaction with the others is just predatory competition? Who will be your friends? Who will be there to help you when you need it?"

"I can live my own social life if I pass this test", I responded, "there's no thing as friendship if I don't pass this test".

"And you don't realize we're better together?", asked my adversary.

I clashed my sword against his right above his head as he approached the edge. It should have become obvious his last speech didn't make sense.

"Ironic", said I.

"Yeah...Ironic", said the competitor.

He swung his body to the side and with his sword hit the back of my head enough to unbalance me off the platform.

As I fell on the mattress beneath, I felt an immense anger as I realized why he helped me all the time. At the end it was all a ploy for me to be an extra stair step for his own success. I wanted to have friends in the upper world, but now I have nothing. I'd rather just lay in the mattress and never open my eyes again to this cruel predatory world.

Spoiler: Revolution of the Birds
(This was drawn by CONG LIU, from SAATCHI ART)

Revolution of the Birds

"I'll count until three and in the three we go, okay?", whispered one figure from behind the dumpster.

"Okay!", responded another figured.

"Three...two...one..."

"Wait, that's not..."

"GO!"

The first figure made a run for it, forcing the second to quickly follow the pace towards the entrance of a mall composed almost entirely of glass.

"Look at this! Look at this!", said the first still hyped from the running pointing a pile of dead birds.

"NO TIME FOR IT!", shouted the second figure pretty much pushing the first figure inside the mall and slamming the sliding door close.

At the same time four birds swush ferociously against the sliding door, almost hitting the two men. A loud crack could be heard as they repeatedly hit the glass breaking their necks from the force. The two panted heavily, the second still holding his bike helmet firmly. The first began to laugh.

"Have you seen that?", he began to boast, "this is what I'm talking about! You know, these damn pests are hard to kill and come in millions per day..."

"You have brought me here for this?", angered the second man, standing higher and bulkier than the first.

"You see, all that glass is pretty much a weapon against these winged beasts! Imagine starting a new life here while those motherfuckers kill themselves against that glass!", the first man still stood confident.

The second man just walked away disappearing further into the mall. There was a crowd of birds chirping violently on the other side of the glass wall and the first man realized they were pretty much stuck inside the mall.

The first man found the second man back at the same entrance. The sky had turned darker and they'd probably need to sleep inside the mall. There was no bird in sight except a single tiny one.

"Boo!", attempted the first man to make it charge against the glass or something.

"I already tried that", said the second man.

The tiny bird stared directly both figures, not seeming malicious like many birds show up to be when spotting a different kind of animal.

"I like this bird", said the second man.

"Don't trust that bird! They're growing smarter and smarter everyday and every single bird has tried to kill you since that weird morning everybody knows about"

"Of course I'm not dumb, Jim!", growled the second man, "anyway, I have checked the entire mall. I haven't seen any opening and there is plenty of food, so you made the right choice. Although I doubt your glass idea will ever work considering the birds are growing smarter".

"They're still visually impaired to spot something wrong just ahead them", suggested Jim.

"I'm going to sleep", announced the bulkier man, walking further into the mall before saying: "see you later, Jim"

THUD

The noise echoed through all the mall.

Thud thud THUD

And it didn't stop, forcing Jim and the second man to wake up and see what was going on. The source of the sound came from the same place they found that odd bird. There was a visible crack in the glass wall while a hundred birds were charging against the wall.

"Looks like they're all kamikazing", observed Jim as he smiled.

Suddenly something bigger hit the glass wall, making another loud thud.

"What the fuck was it?", asked the second man.

"I don't know"

It began to hit again, and again.

"Will the glass resist?", asked the second man.

"It should"

The giant bird stopped charging against the wall, its head was visibly bleeding. It opened is large wings and seemingly flew away.

"I think it stopped now", stated Jim.

Suddenly there was another giant thud and to their horror the glass had bent heavily forwards, barely resisting. The two figures could tell the next hit would instantly rupture it. They just stared at each and screamed:

"RUN!"

They plunged insider the mall as a few seconds later the glass wall fell apart. A whole flock of birds began to chase them.

They quickly jumped into a narrower corridor, leading to the staff corridor. A plentiful of birds began pecking on them as they tried to snatch and kill each of them. They eventually forced themselves into the tiny janitor's closet, staying silent and praying the birds don't know where they are, only relaxing when the evil chirps have lowered in volume.

"I'm sorry, Eric", apologized Jim, "I shouldn't have brought you here. I shouldn't have put our lives in danger to test a mere bird trap".

"It's okay, Jim. I always like your...adventurous spirit. I...you should be able to make our way out...like you always do", Eric tried to say before falling asleep seriously injured.

"Eric..."

"Eric!"

"Eric, wake up!", shouted Jim, "it's our time to go!"

The two figures left the janitor's closet. They occasionally met with the devil birds, but were quick to snap their necks and hide if possible to not attract more attention. Eventually getting to the main hall where countless birds were gathered everywhere.

"What's your plan this time?", asked Eric.

"This", Jim pointed to a dusty small car displayed in the center of the hall, "we make a run for it".

"No, I don't recommend you to..."

"I'll count until three and in the three we go, okay?"

"Jim!"

"Three...two...one..."

"Jim, no, we can't..."

"GO!"

Despite Eric's helpless protests, Jim forced their way onto the car and closed the door. They still had to deal with a bunch of birds trying to peck on them inside the car, but Jim realized he had to turn the car on as more birds started attacking the windows.

"Don't worry, I got this", shouted Jim happily as he snapped another bird neck and accelerated the car.

The glass wall was right forward them. Suddenly, the car ran over something big and lost control, crashing onto the nearest store.

"That's it...", Jim could be heard as the giant bird started pecking the rear window.

Eric opened the door and jumped off the car. Walking slow towards a long dead body while Jim stared jaw-jarred.

"Eric!"

The bulky man crouched near the dead body to grab something. The giant bird prepared to charge against the now lone standing figure.

"ERIC, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?"

The giant bird sprung towards the standing figure and Jim looked away.

BANG

The giant fell on the floor motionless. Jim last saw Eric waving before being surrounded by hundred birds.

BANG

Spoiler: The Life of Success and Failure
(It's a wallpaper by Raphael Vanhomwegen, from HDWallpaperim. Just...imagine fungus)

The Life of Success and Failure

There stood two proud men with social shirts, toasting their champagne cup. Standing with them were a plentiful of young men and women, cheering for my future success.

There came the first figure I haven't seen since I was born. It stayed a few minutes, but it felt like forever. There went out the first satisfied customer.

There came a couple, then a family, then three whole generations. There showed up the same figures, the same customers, loyal to my own development.

There were crowds of people, entering through my own doors and leaving through my own doors. Some pretty satisfied, some pretty disappointed.

There began a party, again there stood the same two proud men wearing social shirts, toasting their favorite champagne cup. Alongside them were all the gears of the system, cheering for my potential. But also there ended the party.

There began the first financial problems. There I saw my loyal costumers moving to the nearest store. There I saw my depressed ex-employees moving to the nearest brand. There I heard one frightening fight between my two founding fathers. There I saw one of them leave through the door angered, to never return.

There I found myself: closed, under maintenance and hopeless.

There I moved to another state with my remaining founding father. There we started from the scratch with new faces for new faces. There my remaining father worked day and night, but would bring me back to the top.

There I received my own principles, my own code of conduct. There I saw myself extending farther into the region like a fungus with their kilometers of extension. There I saw thousands customers visit me every day. There I saw a hundred employees work with their biggest smile printed in their face, or so I presumed. There I became an actual reference in the region. There I finally had received an actual name.

There passed 10, 15, 20 years, and there I told goodbye to my remaining founding father. There I see him celebrating with his and his ex-friend's favorite champagne cup, standing alongside the new faces that rebuilt me to the top. There I saw him give the legacy to his son.

There I grew steady in the market, at least for the first ten years. There I just watched the same old faces showing up and up again. There I just watched the same employees working hard. There I just watched the highest position employees take long vacations, including my new father. There I felt alone although crowded.

There began market regulation, taxes, syndicates. There I see them returning from their vacation as if they returned from the party in a hangover. There I see their mood change completely.

There I see headache, stress, anger.

There I see large cuts.

There I see employees leaving to never return.

There I see panic and despair.

There I feel alone.

As for my new father, he left and I haven't seen him anymore, I never heard about him anymore. I just wished I had known what happened. All I see is his name on the obituary and the word suicide near it.

Instead of a father I receive a mother. There she was: a young woman full of energy, the daughter of the son of my founding father. No one seemed to think I would have a future with her, but oh man! What a wonderful woman she was!

There she took me under her wing. There she grabbed each piece to rebuild me. There she brought back my old friends, employees and loyal costumers. There she brought new faces. There she put me back to life. There I was working once again.

She wasn't satisfied, she was never satisfied. She wanted to put me all the way to the top. She reconstructed my principles, my code of conduct, my own slogan. She made other large friends, she negotiated partnerships. She began to look for another regions, states and even countries.

There I found myself, extending all across multiple cities, states, countries, until I took the entire world. I was like a fungus with thousands and thousands of kilometers of extension.

The world began to revolve around me. The transporters would work for me, the advertisers would work for me, the other industries would work for me. The TV would talk about me, the magazines would talk about me, the recent new network I heard about would talk about me. The cities, the countries, the people, the world. They all were there for me. I was the world, and the world was I.

There she was, spending her time to keep my gears working. There she was, sacrificing her own life for my own cause. There she went, ill and unable to continue. And there she went, to never wake up again.

There I received three new potential parents, but to then there could only be one. Then there began a fight, and the oldest one won.

There he started aggressive, buying my smaller similars and turning me into a fighter. I enjoyed eating the weaker and pestering the roughly strong. I just didn't expect what was coming.

The quality started dropping, so did my costumers' satisfaction. The low wage also lowered, and so did my employee's happiness. There were scamming, there were illegal pyramids, there were tax evading. There I saw my name being dirtied. My new father didn't care, I was still on the top. I was still ruling. I was still the gear of the world. I was just...the evil, the necessary evil. No one liked me, but no one could escape me.

There began a crisis that took over my home country. It should have been normal, but grew out of proportions. There were massive cuts, there were many of my limbs being shut down, there were tens of thousands of my employees going away, there were hundreds of thousands of my costumers harshly changing their opinion about me if they haven't yet. There were protests, there were boycotting, there were strikes. Eventually my fourth father stepped down, eventually I would see him in jail.

There I no longer had a father, instead I had multiple executives driving me wherever I could go. There the crisis stopped and I could finally go instead. There, however, I lost all my vital energy. There were hundred, thousands, hundred of thousands pages of bureoucracy. There I didn't feel I had any love at all. I had just become a name. A name without meaning. A name doing everything to stay in the market. There it stood for years.

There I watch my younger selves showing up. There I see them full of energy. There I see them rising like a rocket to the sky. There I stay in awe as new things appear. Flying cars, virtual reality, cure to cancer, you call it.

There I stay steady. There I shrink. There I become just another brand in the market. There I slowly disappear. There I see myself slipping into forgetfulness, as I become less and less relevant.

There I close the doors and sleep, a profound sleep. Standing beside my headquarters was a board:

There were the two names of my founding fathers, who brought me to the world, one name slightly wiped out. Next to them was the name of my second father, whose life ended tragically. After it was the name of the woman who devoted her entire life to bring me all the way to the top. Next to her beloved name were the three names, one still clearly visible, the others blurred, the sign of a fight. Then there was nothing.

There I was, all doors closed, already for years, waiting for the day I will rise to the top once again.

Spoiler: The Guiding Voice

The Guiding Voice

Arriving the crossing, John turned right.

"Why?", questioned John.

I have decided you would.

"but I'm supposed to turn..."

Just trust me, my dear, I have always been right.

After turning right, John decided to stop at the nearest bar. He was decided he would waste himself out after checking his every day more depressing bank account. Obviously he questioned why would he do that, but after he got it enough, he would do everything I told him.

He returned home completely wasted in a taxi. His wife was pretty displeased, but decided to submissively let that go and instead slept in the couch. That was just the first step, but I knew tragedies wouldn't happen overnight, they take time to happen.

The next day, he proceeded to turn right again. This time he didn't even question it, but rather embraced the alcohol. And day after day he would repeat that routine.

One day, he returned home to see his own son:

"Hey father", greeted the son awkwardly, "you...would you mind borrowing me some money?"

"For what?", asked the father annoyed.

"It's...for a school project"

John reached for his pocket, but stopped midway. He remembered the times his son asked for money. It's always for a school project!, he stupidly realized, until he found out that one day he skipped school.

"What school project?", pressed John.

"It's about science"

"What is it?"

"It's something...that's not ready"

"What do you pretend to do?"

And he kept getting vague answers while trying to press further, until he got tired of it.

You heard me here, John.

"NO, YOU'RE NOT RECEIVING ANY MONEY!"

"But dad..."

"YOU'RE GROUNDED! NOW GO BEFORE I DESTROY YOUR PS4!"

It wouldn't stop here. John would often get late to work, looking like he had a hangover. It wouldn't be so long until:

"John, we need to talk", requested his boss.

The boss would point the obvious fact John would often be late looking drunk, he also pointed how his performance became worse and that he already warned John about that. John was fuming at this point.

"I'm sorry to tell you you're fired", finished the boss.

And John punched him.

"No, I shouldn't...", opposed John.

Yes, you should.

He refused to give you a raise when you needed. He put your bank account close to red. He couldn't give you that desired vacation you planned to give to your family. He forced you to waste yourself every night.

He is the reason it all started.

John went back home angry from, not only being fired, but being kicked out of the building. However, when he arrived the crossing, he decided to turn right.

"No, please, don't...", begged he.

He decided to turn right.

"Please! I shouldn't"

John...

"No"

John!

"NO!"

This is for your own good, John. What will happen when your family finds out? Do you think your wife won't divorce you? Aren't they the reason you're here? I mean, your wife doesn't seem ever love you. Your son actively explores you. And your little daughter...

This time John decided to turn right. This time he would just do as I told him, but more intensively. At the end of the night, the workers of the place had to force him go to home.

As he arrived home, he found his wife looking half angry half worried. She began questioning what he was doing and that made John more agitated and angry, but he, unable to tell her what happened, eventually fell asleep.

The following days John would pretend to go to work, but instead he drove his car around the city, occasionally stopping at that same place. Now all that was left was it to happen...

And it happened. That one day John arrived home completely wasted and saw his little daughter running to him in tears.

"What is it, dear?", asked John concerned.

"I...broke your aunt's vase", answered she quietly.

"Is it nothing"

No, John, the vase isn't nothing. It's the only memoir you have left of your aunt. The one aunt who raised you since you were little after your parents died. The one aunt who gave her own life to you. Now it's there, broken in the floor due to a careless daughter.

"Go to your bedroom", said John.

"I am sorry, dad..."

"NOW!"

"WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?", yelled John's wife as she showed up, "I talked with your boss today and he said you were fired a week ago. Why didn't you tell me?"

She proceeded to berate John about how it was his fault for getting himself wasted and that he was still spending money on alcohol. She kept complaining about how John was a bad husband and a bad father and a huge liar. John would consistently deny all that.

"THAT'S IT, JOHN! I WANT A DIVORCE!", said her.

That's when John finally decides to do the right thing.

No, John, she doesn't love you. She never loved you. She was just there for the money you got at the time. You had to sustain her and her kids all your life. Now when you need her the most, she leaves you and will take your ungrateful kids away from you. Just do it, she deserves it for being a bad woman.

Unlike her, you can trust me, John.

There is John, fifteen years later after the tragedy, resting in his own prison cell.

"IT'S YOU! IT'S YOU AGAIN!", screamed he.

Oh, my dear John, what happened with you?

"Where were you? Why did you leave me?"

I never left you, John. I was always there with you. I was there with you since your parents died. I raised you as if you were my own child. I watched you grow, graduate, meet your wife...

Do you recall me, John?

"I thought I could trust you!"

I thought I could trust you, John...Instead, you just suffocated me with a pillow when I most needed you. To what? Just to claim my heritage. You and your wife.

I have planned this since the beginning. First I had to earn your trust. I knew you were too weak to take your own decisions, so I would guide you to the success. I wanted you to have a perfect job, a perfect family and a perfect job. Until the time would come. And here we are, your job gone, your family dead and your life now completely destroyed.

You know, John, you're still my good boy. I still love you after all.

Spoiler: A Warm Friendship

A Warm Friendship

I didn't have a mother, I didn't have a father. Instead, I had multiple mothers and fathers.

I grew up surrounded by these people wearing white coat. There was nothing to complain though. They gave me milk, food and toys and told me stories before sleep. I believed my entire world were these people, artificial pine trees and endless mountains of fluff white snow.

Until the day they moved me somewhere warmer. It was made of something plastic and green they called grass. Instead of a white foggy ceiling there was a lightblue ceiling with something yellow they called sun.

Standing there was a boy of my age. He had solid red hair and tanned skin compared to my white hair and skin. When we touched each other, we immediately jumped away in pain.

We would meet each other again in that same room, and although we couldn't touch each other, we still made good friends. We shared toys, burned or shattered them, pretended to be scientists, laughed at each other. My world was no longer just the snow, it was now the snow and the grass.

"On one hand you're pretty calm compared to the other subject", observed the scientist as I tried to understand how 9 plus 5 resulted in 1 and 4, "on the other hand, you're...pretty cold. I don't think you're even understanding what I'm saying".

The scientist discussed something with the other scientist. And from now on we had classes with each other. It was a significant improvement, I felt more comfortable speaking with my teachers while the fire boy seemed to have calmed down.

"It's interesting", I heard, "their polarized personalities seem to change to a warmer one when they're together".

We started living in the same room. At one side I had my own snowy bed, at the other slept the boy in a sulphurous hot island. In the center there was tall grass, a blue sky, the sun, a flow of water and multiple trees.

One day they brought us to somewhere they called "the world". I didn't know what it meant at first because only the snow and the synthetic grass was the world for me. When I saw the outside world for the first time, I was left in awe to the countless number of streets, buildings, trees, parks and people running here and there.

The first day outside ended in tragedy. I don't remember exactly how it happened, but the fire boy set the hotel on fire and I froze the exit door. From this day we weren't allowed outside anymore.

That is, until we became agents.

The first mission we had was to stop a massive bank heist. They had put multiple explosives which I was forced to freeze. The fire boy had to melt the door to evacuate the building. When chasing the heists I froze the road and made their car slip off it. The fire boy threatened them with multiple fire balls. They pretty much went to their knees. It was pretty hillarious.

Our missions soon involved hunting important members of a said terrorist group the government feared. It wasn't hillarious anymore, but the fire boy really liked the action, while I didn't really care about them at all.

There were public protests. I could conclude people hated us for what we were doing. It would be only a matter of time until the project was abandoned.

I remembered the fire boy and I met one last time in the grass, real grass. Just being together with him felt so...warm.

Then we were separated. I was moved to the Arctic, he I don't know. I only know I have stayed ten or fifteen years in the Arctic, with barely any human presence. There I just felt cold.

One day I returned to the real world. I had lived in multiple cities until I went to that one city. That one city I met the fire boy once again, but I no longer felt warm around him, I just felt his anger accumulated through his eyes, while he could tell the coldness of my expression.

Spoiler: Letters of the Morning

Letters of the Morning

If you thought journals would be extinct, you thought wrong.

In fact, I was just hired for one. Take photographs before the authorities come, write a sobbing story about the victim, 75 bucks per article, take or leave.

Although the online news have come close to surpass the journals, they weren't able to match the folding papers containing extraordinary stories of tragedies. Letters of the Morning has been an example of that.

"Fast, persistent and efficient", that's what my boss said, "we gotta bring the news before anyone else and bring it with good quality".

The driver left me close to the viaduct where the train goes by. They just said there was a dead woman's body and I was tasked to take as many photos as possible from every angle. The photos would be immediately sent to the journal department.

I began to take photos of the viaduct in general before approaching the scene. There I stood shocked as I saw the corpse of a young woman. I caught a glimpse of her blonde hair, red thick lips, small round nose and horrified blue eyes, all printed in her now pale face. She was wearing a yellow dress and high heels, as if she just returned from the party.

My mobile vibrated and I could see a new message from my boss:

Hello, Edward. Thanks to your photographs, we were able to find the identity of the victim. She is Mary Hillinger, secretary of the Porto Branco bank.

I decided to search for her name in my mobile. I found her social media and as I scrolled through it, I could tell she was last night partying at the annual Grand Festival wearing that same yellow dress. The mobile vibrated again and a new message appeared from my boss:

She was last night at the Grand Festival and she seems to have been under heavy alcohol influence. It's probable she tried to return home alone, decided to walk through the train rails and fell thirty feet.

This was quite what I suspected. As I checked her wounds, there was no doubt it was due the fall, but with a closer inspection, I could see small wounds around her wrists and neck.

I notified my boss about it and in a few seconds I received a message back:

We don't know what happened at the festival. She was found dead recently by a witness who used to work with us. It's probable the wounds originated from last night's party.

I shrugged the feeling off and walked all the way to the upper part of the viaduct to take photos from an upper angle. The place was very dangerous and I couldn't figure out why someone would ever take that way. Mary Hillinger seemed to be a pretty decent woman and I don't think she would have got that drunk, let alone walk alone through this place.

I followed the train rails to the other side and when I stepped off it, I found a few footprints on the soft ground. There were high heels marks, but there were also other foot marks. I instantly began to take a photo of them when I received a new message from my boss:

Please, stop what you're doing right now.

"Why?", I sent.

I know what you're trying to achieve, but that's not something you should put your nose on. It's probable she was just hanging with some men. Anyway, our only job is to inform, not to suspect. You have already done a good job and I have just sent the driver to take you back.

I was left in disbelief. Everything indicated she was murdered, but by who? Why was my boss so adamant about it?

The driver had arrived. On the way back to the journal's department, I searched for more LOTM news, which included drowned guy at the pool, man ran over by a car, middle-aged woman founded dead hanging in a rope. There was something fishy about all of them, mainly the way Letters of the Morning got there first.

I arrived to the department and immediately went to my boss' room.

"Oh, hello Edward. Good work! I hope you write as good as you take photos...", congratulated my boss.

"Cut it off!", I said, "if she was drunk she wouldn't look so horrified!".

"Edward, I already told you..."

"Who is the witness? Why did he or she called us first and not the police?"

"The witness doesn't want to be identified, but he or she is pretty close to us..."

"So are the witnesses who found the drowned guy? The man ran over by a car? The woman who supposedly hanged herself?"

"Edward, you're being..."

"Do you happen to have murdered them?"

"Of course I didn't!"

"But you admit it was a murder, right?"

There was suddenly a silence, which I took as a guilty admission.

"You're right. No one nowadays wants to buy journals over getting online news for free. We needed to find a way to make them interested in our journals again. We figured to stay in market we needed rapidity, persistence and efficience. In order to do that, we had to arrive first and bring shocking tragedies, which, of course, included murders".

I was left astonished at the confission although I already figured it was them. I immediately went towards the exit door, but the light on the side turned red and the door shut locked.

"Before you leave, you may want to know the true story about Mary Hillinger", I heard my boss talking smoothly, "before you there was a middle-aged photographer-editor. He was our employee for ten years and he knew what this journal has become. He still complied long enough, but one day he decided to rat us out. He tried to tell the police, but the police didn't find the proof enough. Obviously we didn't allow his articles to go through and he was turned down by multiple other journals. He then asked his daughter for help, who had knowledge about the internet. We soon found out they were plotting to send this to the online news. The corpse you saw there was Mary Hillinger, the daughter".

I was left astounded at how far it went.

"Edward, do you remember mentioning your little son during your interview?", the boss continued, "Wouldn't he make an interesting news to..."

"Stop it! Enough! I'm doing whatever you want! Just leave my son alone!"

"Don't take me bad, Edward. I'm a mere pawn of this game and I'm in the same situation you are. Reporting the LOTM will only get us screwed", said the boss, who seemed to be pretty honest, "now, please, finish your article because we have to send the journal this morning".

I organized the plentiful of photos my boss selected in two columns. Between them, I started typing:

I
n the morning of Saturday September 16th, an anonymous witness reported finding a dead body by the side of the train viaduct.
T
hrough the photo the witness has sent, the reporters were able to identify the victim as Mary Hillinger, the secretary of Porto Branco Bank.
S
he was last seen at the Green Festival.

M
ary, in her social media, posted multiple photos of the party.
U
nder heavy alcohol influence, she opted to return home alone and walking on her high heels.
R
outing the train rails, she found the viaduct in front of her.
D
ark and alone in the night, she was under heavy risk of being assaulted or worse.
E
very minute counted, she needed to get back home as soon as possible and she couldn't get around it, so she took the risk of walking the viaduct.
R
ight as she took a misstep, she fell over thirty feet.

L
ong ago, Mary was accepted as the secretary of Porto Branco Bank.
O
ver the years she became popular and more outgoing, over her social media she racked up to four thousand followers.
T
he future for her was promising and everything pointed she would have accomplished her dream of becoming an actress.
M
uch to her dismay, her beautiful life ended so abruptly.

"
I
t's weird, when she came she was just a shy girl and I could see with my bare eyes her opening to the world",
S
aid her coworker.

G
rand Festival is an event that happens every year during the third friday of September and it's known for selecting potential artists.
U
nder 15, Mary already played Macbeth, Twinkling Star and Journey of the Year in small theaters.
I
n one of them, the original author took notice of her.
L
ast year she was present in the selection, but didn't pass.
T
his year she was offered another chance, but she turned down for unknown reasons.

Y
ou will be missed, Mary Hillinger.

Edward von Fark, Photographer-Editor of Letters of the Morning (LOTM)
Saturday - September 16th, 2021

Spoiler: Jörmungandr
(Image of the Jörmungandr by Theoretical, from ArtStation.)

Jörmungandr

The room was getting noisy. There were my parents, my aunts, my cousins, their long-time friends, they all seemed to be speaking exclusively to themselves.

"Get out of the room", I heard my grandfather say, "get out!"

It has stopped the talking and everybody seemed to be confused at the request until my grandmother stepped on:

"He's right. He needs to relax and we're not helping him at all. We better move elsewhere"

We began to move out of the room, but I heard my grandfather saying my name:

"Ellen, you stay here"

Everybody but me, my grandmother and my father had left the room.

"I want only Ellen here"

They tried to object, but my grandfather made it clear and they left the room, closing the door.

There I stood, alone with my grandfather in the room. He was laying in a single bed with a thin blanket covering him. I could spot multiple equipments keeping him alive. I knew he had advanced lung cancer and I could tell he wasn't lasting long.

"Hello, Ellen", he smiled.

"Hello", I shyly replied.

"You want to work with the marine, am I right?"

"Yes, it's my dream"

My grandfather worked for many years with the marine and the stories he told me got me interested, although nobody else in my family batted an eye. His stories seemed pretty unrealistic, but the action in high sea still attracted me.

"I want to tell you a story", he said.

"Oh, not again..."

"I never tried to tell anyone else this story before. And I want you to promise not to tell them"

"Grandpa, you need to..."

"Please, swear it to me, Ellen", he insisted.

I knew his story wouldn't fit the reality at all, but it was better to not refuse a request from your grandfather days before death.

"I promise not to tell anyone", I said.

"Thank you! It's about a woman. A woman I met before your grandmother. She was just...so wonderful".

He told me her name was Beatrice and began to talk about how they met each other at the marine. She was the first woman in the US marine although never recognized. And how they ended in a relationship. But eventually he made it clear he reached the part that matters.

"One day we were travelling in the ocean towards the Vietnam, when the waves started to grow stronger..."

The sky was of a dark grey color and the clouds responsible for it started to shower water. The ship we were in was thrown here and there and I struggled to not be thrown out of the ship. It got so extreme we all went to the lower level of the ship and insisted to use the submarine.

But the captain refused. The submarine was supposed to be used only when they could spot the Viatnamese coast, and we knew there were risks using it earlier.

"C'mon, c'mon! This ship is of steel. It's just a small rain", said the captain.

I knew the ship wouldn't resist long, but I couldn't question the captain's orders. We moved to the surface of the ship. The waves were being thrown right above it and I had to grab the handrail tight all the time. As I got to the captain's cabin I saw Beatrice was there.

"Beatrice, you have to get out of here!", I said.

"I can't! I have to retrieve the signal"

And she would keep refusing. The sea would eventually stop and I took that opportunity to grab her and push her out of the cabin towards lower levels. I could see the dark horizon of the agitated sea and I appreciated its chaos. But something caught my eye.

Out of the sea, came an unimaginable huge serpent. I first spotted its massive head, considerably larger than the ship. Then the long body, which seemed to never end.

A huge wave went across the ship, throwing countless men to the ocean. I threw her and me to a lower place, which seemed to be a storage.

"Do you know what was it?", I kept asking.

"I don't know", she paused, then said: "Joggur...Jomun...Jörmungandr!"

"What?"

"It's the serpent from the Norse mythology! My adoptive parents...they used to be part of the Scandinavia. They told me stories about Jörmungandr, but I never believed them at all. Until now"

We ran through multiple corridors. The men were screaming at the top of their lungs and I could tell the ship was a wreck, our only chance was get to the submarine.

We had hopped to the submarine alongside five other men, one of which was trying to get the wheels unstuck.

"Are you sure that thing is Jor...Jormugarden or whatever?"

"I...I think so".

"What do you mean?", asked one of the men.

"Nothing", I said.

At this rate the other man got the submarine unstuck, but screamed loudly when it teared his arm off. Another man went to help him, while a third kept shouting they needed to focus on getting away. The situation soon got tense and we were all in panic.

"I know you're...you're alone
Deep...deep down the sea"

That was the voice of Beatrice, as if she was trying to sing something.

"What is it?", I asked her.

"It's...it's a song I heard about Jörmungandr. It's...it's supposed to calm it down"

The submarine at this time got off the sinking ship and was deep the ocean. Suddenly, through the window, it was possible to spot the colossal serpent facing us.

"Fire!", one of the men shouted.

A torpedo was launched towards the serpent, but it obviously did absolutely nothing. The serpent responded to the attack charging against it. The shock threw all of us against the wall and killed four of us and left the submarine sinking.

"There are scuba gears we can use to escape the submarine!", said the remaining man besides Beatrice and me.

"but the serpent is still out there!", I shouted back.

"We're gonna get attacked anyway!"

"But serpent don't you fear
Because I'm...I'm here"

She stopped, then said: "sorry...it's just...that this song is supposed to be relaxing".

"What are you talking about?", said the remaining man through the scuba screen.

"Beatrice", I said, "I think you could calm down the serpent with this song".

"I know", she said as she approached me and took my scuba screen, "but it requires a sacrifice".

She kissed me just like that ending movie kiss, then she put the scuba screen and threw herself into the ocean. I soon realized what she meant.

"I couldn't hear her, but I imagined her voice singing that all the time she approached the serpent and calmed it down, but she never returned", my father finished, "to this day I still think of that song".

My father rested against his bed, clearly struggling to breath.

"I know you're alone", I started, "Deep down the sea. But serpent don't you fear, because I'm here".

"You have just her voice", my grandfather said, "wished I heard the complete song from Beatrice, and then you".

My grandfather died that same night. We had a quick funeral and no one questioned anything about it, but I still felt guilty for being the last person around to hear yet still believe it was just his delirium.

Years have passed and I completely got over my grandfather's death. I grew up and realized my dream of entering the marine. I have been tasked to check abnormal activities over the pacific ocean. We were in a submarine attached to a bigger ship and we were about to be launched to investigate the source.

"Is it an imminent cyclone?", asked someone.

"No, it can't be. It's coming from very under the sea", answered someone else.

"Maybe a vulcan?", I heard Randolf say.

"If it is a vulcan, we're fucked", asked the first man.

"The climate agency should have its own tricks", said Randolf confidently.

"We need focus", concluded the second man.

"Okay, okay", responded the first man swiftly.

It was very clear they couldn't keep their anxiety. The radio soon started buzzing:

"Dear soldiers, the submarine is being launched soon. Remember the instructions: investigate the source and if possible eliminate".

The radio started counting down from 10. It wasn't my first time doing this, but suddenly I felt a chill on my spine. I was relieved when Randolf hugged me:

"Don't worry, it's gonna be alright like always"

His choice of words wasn't particularly soothing. We had met in the oceanography center and since that we worked together on investigating ocean phenomena. His presence by itself was already relaxing.

"3...2...1..."

It stopped and I felt the submarine being submerged into the ocean. The pilot began following the source of the agitation, plunging deeper into the ocean.

There was a predominant awful silence although attempts to talk were made. The light in the ocean was getting dimmer and dimmer. I felt another turmoil.

"The source seems...to have changed direction", reported the pilot.

"It must mean we're coming close"

"The radar hasn't detected the source yet"

"Just keep following it then"

The pilot turned on the external light of the submarine, but nothing was to be seen.

"How is it going?", someone asked.

"There's something big moving around the radar", announced the pilot.

"What? Are you sure you're not going..."

Right from the monitor we could see something big and scaly moving endlessly. We all stared at each other in shock.

"What the fuck is it?", asked Randolf.

No one seemed to know. It resembled like a big serpent with a body diameter big than the width of the ship we were just in. However, felt like I already heard about it somewhere.

The pilot set chase to the head of the thing, looking for a clear direction of where was it going, what was it and deciding whether that thing should be attacked or not. The other soldiers were preparing a torpedo incase it was needed while talking nonstop about what could be it.

Eventually we spotted the head of its thing. Its head seemed to be of shades of sea blue and it had frills on its sides. I tried to figure out what it was. But soon I heard "fire!" and multiple torpedos from different directions were launched towards the creature.

The creature seemed unaffected, but it bluntly moved, causing the various submarines to be thrown away. We were launched towards the wall and the vehicle still seemed to be spinning uncontrollably.

"What do we do?", someone kept asking that repeatedly.

"We have to calm down!", shouted the pilot in vain.

While we uncontrollably panicked, we were straying further and further into the ocean. Multiple thoughts crossed my mind, but particularly a part of a song got my attention.

"I know you're alone
Deep down the sea"

It felt like the sea relaxed to these few words. We could regain control and returned to the chase of the serpent.

"What was it?", I heard Randolf ask me.

"I don't know", I simply said.

I was trying to figure out where I heard that. And serpent? I remember something about it, but it's name, it was...It was Jörmungandr?

We were soon back on the serpent's head, on the attack again. It started agitating the sea again, but we were able to maintain control.

"Continue! Continue!", I could hear.

The large serpent was clearly unaffected by the countless explosives launched towards it, but still got pretty scared about them and ran away in a straight line towards the USA.

"No, stop, you're scaring it!", I snapped.

But they kept attacking the serpent towards North America. I knew it would cause the largest tsunami ever seen if we didn't stop it. It suddenly came to my mind everything my grandfather told me, mainly about Beatrice. She sang a song, the exact song I had sung.

"Randolf!", I called, "Randolf, you need to let me out!"

"Why?"

"I know how to stop Jörmungandr"

"Jormun what?"

"You need to let me out!"

"No, that's stupid!"

I knew he wouldn't ever listen to me, so I just approached him.

"I know you're alone
Deep down the sea
But serpent don't you fear
Because I'm here"

I kissed him. It wasn't long, but it was enough to convince him to trust me. I appreciated how he was able to talk the others into letting me follow my plan despite being in a clear chase. They put me in a scuba suit and before I put the scuba screen, I hugged Randolf one last time:

"Goodbye"

I jumped into the serpent's back and began to sing slowly, each word seemed to slow its moving speed. Soon I could see its head moving back to me on the distance, surrounded in a bright blue light.

Soon I began to panic. What was I thinking? I had only an incomplete part of the song and three verses simply wouldn't be enough at all.

I was surprised when the right words for the next verses just started to show up in my head, as if the nordic gods had heard my unconscious pray.

"They once took you from your mother
Inconsiderably threw into the ocean
Left you into the depths
Where there is no emotion"

I swam closer and closer to its shining head as I kept singing. The monster seemed to be following me every moment. I knew I had no return and I was glad I didn't tell Randolf about it, he wouldn't let me go. I was a sacrifice.

"Don't worry now here I am
Your mother just returned"

The giant pressure of the ocean no longer affected me. I only gazed right at its giant shining eyes gazing me back. I could swear, deep inside them, I could see the wonderful woman my grandfather described.

Spoiler: To Shatter the Pride Cat
(Evil cat by Dexter Leandro, from pinterest. I narrowly dodged accidentally putting a warrior cats fanart)

To Shatter The Pride Cat

(Yep, this was supposed to be for reddit. Still funny regardless)

I'm Lucifer, the angel of pride. Alongside Mammon, Asmodeus, Leviathan, Beelzebub, Satan and Belphegor I was banished from the heaven, but instead of being sent to the place underneath the earth, we were forced into animal forms.

Mammon became the mouse, Asmodeus the scorpion, Leviathan became the snake, Beelzebub the pig, Satan became the wolf and Belphegor the bear. Finally, I became the lion. And we would always be reincarnated into these same animals.

But one day I became this weak feline named a cat!

And the human who adopted me? Well, he's a moron!

"Hey Tommy! You hungry?"

How dare you call me Tommy, you stupid mortal? Hey, mortal! Listen I am Lucifer, the angel of pride and one of the most powerful there is! You're nothing compared to me! Hey! Why are you grabbing me? Stop it! Stop it now!

"There it is. It is your favorite: Whiskas!"

You won't sell me with your trash food!

"It is also made of salmon"

Okay, I gotta admit that thing looks creamy and...What am I thinking? You won't force Lucifer to eat this!

"Okay, whatever. I am leaving"

He left the kitchen. I took one good bite of the food then followed him.

Anyway, this stupid dude adopted me and I'm settled on making him sin. Just not any sin, but rather my own sin: pride. There's just a small annoying problem: He's too much of a nice guy!

"Hi, Gary! How's your day today?"

"Fine, thank you!"

"Hey Hannah. You're looking good today"

"Thank you, kind sir!", said the old lady.

He accidentally bumped into someone and immediately said:

"Oh, I'm really sorry"

"It's no problem", said the middle-aged man.

Anyway, he was just too polite. Like, way too polite.

I guess I don't need to demonstrate that.

Continuing, he went to the cafeteria and I sneaked in. Apparently he didn't notice I followed him all the time.

I saw another man in his thirties coming in. He was wearing a full suit and I could see the cross on his pocket. Damn, I hated him already!, I found myself hissing at him already.

"Hey, Tony!", my human greeted.

"Hey Rick"

For my own dismay my human noted the cross on his pocket and questioned it. They better don't start talking about Jesus or else I swear, I swear I'll make them scream and bleed and...

"Oh, it's just my own amulet", responded the man with the cross, "I always use it. I heard it scares off the bad spirits"
That fool thinks I am gonna be scared with that useless piece of metal? I'm gonna show him what is real fe...

"You should try converting to a religion", Tony continued, "I know you're a non-believer or more of a carpe diem person, but you know, there's no harm in being wrong about it and you get to live better when you have something to cling on"

That's definitely wrong. Having the wrong belief won't make you any better, it's the equivalent of holding a false smile and hoping it will cure depression. And you better don't try to convert my human or else...

"I...I'm not into that stuff. I don't think I need a god to make me feel any better. Just thinking about the endless possibilities the universe gives already makes me feel good. I feel like a god would be pretty limiting"

"What are you going to achieve if there's a god? You still have endless possibilities, you just need to trust your god and you will have an..."

"I'm tired of hearing this. I don't need to worry about what will happen after I die, I would rather live the life I was given"

"So you admit there's a god?"

They started a heated debate between each other if I could ever call that a debate. They started referencing a bunch of names they called philosophers and used all kinds of crappy argument I'm tired of hearing from humans. Even the religious man was terribly wrong about his own so-called god. I swear, if they continue using those strawman arguments I'm gonna personally crawl their eyes out and...

"You're a good friend, and I don't want you to go to hell!"

Haha! I can just see my dear human friend's face has become red and I smiled at what was coming next. I knew his religious-wannabe friend already is an overly proud arrogant men, but now I can get the chance to see two inflated egos collide with each oth...

"Okay, sorry. I didn't mean to have this fight with you. It was a pleasure talking with you, but I have to go"

He left the cafeteria and left me stunned. I waited the other human open the door to exit and rushed through him, making sure to take a good deep scare into his soul as if I was saying "you're going to hell with me", then went my way home.

Stupid Rick, stupid human! How dare you? He just said you're going to hell! How do you simply let it pass? Are you fine going to hell? I hate you, Rick! I hate all of you, stupid humans who try to act innocent! I'm gonna have a lot of fun bathing into your own blood and...

"Hey, who is that angry?"

I heard that from a medium-sized mutt I saw approaching me.

"Lucifer, is that you?"

Looking at his eyes, to my dismay, I noticed it was Satan.

"Hahahaha!", he began to laugh, "look at you! You look like a tiny kitty!"

His dog laugh was the most annoying thing to hear from him.

"Kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty!", he kept taunting.

"Satan, stop it!"

"Kitty, kitty, kitty"

"STOP IT NOW! YOU FEMALE DOG!"

He suddenly stopped laughing and looked dead me in the eyes:

"Did...you...just...call...me...a...FEMALE...DOG?"

He emphasized the last word in an actually demonic voice and I realized I was screwed. I just had one thing to do.

I ran away full-speed through multiple streets with an infuriated Satan on my back. I swear I'm not a coward! I'm just a little too tiny to stop him and I don't want to die yet.

Luckily there was an open window back to my house and Satan couldn't climb to the window as good as I did.

"Haha! Look at you now, Satan! You look so pathetic trying to climb those boxes in all four", I taunted.

"What is going on here?"

To my horror my human just opened the door to the maddened dog. I immediately took a run to his room and somehow closed the door shut. I could still hear Satan barking like crazy outside.

I spotted his computer open on reddit. Taking a closer look to it, I noticed he was in r/changemyview open. So he likes debate huh?

I took a look at his karma and I saw it at 3.1k. His comments were mostly made on that same subreddit and seemed to have gained certain popularity.

Hehe! Now I want to see if my human will remain nice after this stun!

I went to his older commenting and began to downvote every one of them. When I left, his karma was at 2.9k or something. Eventually Rick returned to the room. Time for the show!

"Oh hey Tommy! Kinda a friend you made"

I decided to ignore his dumb comment. He sat down and I smiled when he checked his karma. He began typing nervously. Then he left the room and returned with coffee. I watched him stay several hours commenting in about every post from the subreddit and even other subreddits. Why do they care so much about a number?

Anyway, he eventually got tired, turned off the computer and went to sleep. I turned on the computer and re-opened reddit.

Well, that wasn't very effective. I needed to do something better. I only used his account to downvote his older comments and if I downvoted his newer posts he would notice that, but what if I create new accounts just to downvote him?

Actually he had so many comments I only needed one account to tank all his karma to 0 and to the negative. I stayed up all night doing that and my tiny paws didn't help any. I'm sure he will have a small surprise in his energy bill later in the month, but I will enjoy what will happen once he checks that out.

The next day I followed him closely. He was less open to his neighbors, but was still annoyingly polite when he needed to be. This time his I'm-with-Jesus friend didn't come, but he talked quite a lot with the waitress from the cafeteria. I could tell he was pretty angry judging how he wanted to debate a serious thing with the employee and even used a condescending tone.

Oh my go...oh my pride, I couldn't wait for it!

He returned home and began to prepare coffee. It is said human bodies are 70% water, but his must be 70% coffee. Anyway, I yawned when he just went to do his philosophy grad essay.

Soon he got tired of it and opened reddit. I could feel the combination of thunder, ice and fire, all stacked up in a heavily damaged ego, as soon he checked that number under his name.

The theater consisted of five acts:

Act I: Denial

"No, no, no. I'm dreaming. I swear, I'm dreaming"

He couldn't believe it and just left the room. Soon he returned, and left again. I heard a scream, I think it was from the truth, then returned to the room with an injured left hand.

He sat on the chair and the next act was going to start.

Act II: Anger

Ahh! My favorite act. This is when they wear their helmet and grab their sword and shield to defend their pride at all costs. But his helmet was the monitor, his sword the keyboard and his shield his coffee.

I could almost feel Satan flowing through his veins. His arguments stopped making sense long ago and he just used all kind of slurs. I gotta admit he was pretty creative, the "living mass of dead cerebral matter" insult didn't cross my mind if I even knew what that meant.

I couldn't stop laughing, or rather purring and I immediately hated that.

Act III: Bargaining

Evil kitty Lucifer reporting in, my human just got banned from the r/changemyview subreddit and multiple others and now he's trying to convince the mods of the first to unban him.

It was pretty fruitless and I was getting hellish tired of his constant crying. I hope it ends soon.

Act IV: Depression

Now my human deleted his reddit account and left the room, I obviously followed him. He threw himself in his bed and began to hit his head against the wall.

"Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!", he kept repeating.

He eventually stopped and just focused on crying. I approached him and he grabbed me on his lap and began to cuddle me.

"Glad someone here still likes me, right Tommy?"

His cuddling and crying was annoying, but it wasn't enough to beat the satisfaction of watching a destroyed ego. I'm sure he wouldn't be the same after that night.

Act V: Acceptance

After two weeks of reclusion and self-pity, he finally got over it. To my dismay he returned his old attitude of being overly friendly to neighbors.

I followed him to the cafeteria and he still hasn't noticed I did. There I found that old religious friend again, but he was wearing simpler shorts and shirt and no longer had that cross.

"Hey, Rick! How are you doing?

"Pretty fine, thank you!"

"The waitress said you haven't showed up here for two weeks"

"Yeah, I was sick", Rick dismissed, "so what happened with your cross?"

"I'm still a Christian and I follow every bible verse. But now I have also embraced some of the Buddhism philosophy so I can focus more on myself than the daily stress, you know?"

"You mean asceticism?"

"Exactly, and I think you should have an appointment with..."

"NO!"

Ahh, nothing beats the reaction of a wounded pride. I left the cafeteria and watched the fight happen from the outside. Just as I was enjoying the clash of two egos, a little friend of mine sat next to me:

"I see you have angered him a lot"

"Of course you happen to be the demon of wrath"

The mutt dog looked at me smiling:

"Kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty!"

"Shut up", I smiled back and continued slowly, "female dog".

Then I took a run to the streets, just like I used to as a lion.
re for two weeks"

"Yeah, I was sick", Rick dismissed, "so what happened with your cross?"

"I'm still a Christian and I follow every bible verse. But now I have also embraced some of the Buddhism philosophy so I can focus more on myself than the daily stress, you know?"

"You mean asceticism?"

"Exactly, and I think you should have an appointment with..."

"NO!"

Ahh, nothing beats the reaction of a wounded pride. I left the cafeteria and watched the fight happen from the outside. Just as I was enjoying the clash of two egos, a little friend of mine sat next to me:

"I see you have angered him a lot"

"Of course you happen to be the demon of wrath"

The mutt dog looked at me smiling:

"Kitty, kitty, kitty, kitty!"

"Shut up", I smiled back and continued slowly, "female dog".

Then I took a run to the streets like a lion.

Spoiler: L'Interrupteur
(Drawing by breasommers. Just not linking it because the link seems propaganda)

L'Interrupteur

Another day at the marvelous city of Austerity. I could see the entire city from my globular bedroom and the sunset in the sky.

I was finally done working at the L'Interrupteur Company, that annoying perfume brand that recently came to the city. Today I planned to just go to the center park and relax.

After changing, eating breakfast and sanitizing myself, I left this fully plastic white house inside and out and grabbed the newspaper. It was 80% propaganda, but sometimes you could find something interesting. But right at the front page in a big picture, I saw:

L'Interrupteur, the right perfume to shine like a star
That was a bland phrase, but what caught my attention is that in the picture was my face and my name, Pete Sharrow, was right below it.

I looked pretty handsome to be honest. I was wearing a suit, my hair combed, I was smiling, looking from the side and holding with both of my hands a transparent blue flask of perfume to my right.

No, it was clearly photoshopped. I'm not that perfect and I definitely never posed to a picture. They must have taken a picture of me or something.

"Hey! You're that guy from the ad? You're very handsome!", said another guy that made it even more awkward.

From the distance a group of girls looked at me amazed. I'm not liking any of this. I'm not looking for any partner and I just wanted to have a nice day.

I didn't want my day ruined because of this. So I decided to rather just keep going to the park. On foot as I planned.

It just then started getting to a point I couldn't ignore.

Seriously, my face was everywhere, my name was very visible. I could see it on the buildings, on the billboards. Hell, there was even two drones carrying a giant poster with my face on it.

Everywhere I passed the people kept looking me in awe, making me even more socially anxious. I was feeling powerless compared to the guy carrying my name in the billboards.

I finally gave up of going to the park and called a driver. The road consisted mostly of a few cars driven by paid drivers that could be called any moment. The cars were the shape of a half of an oval sphere, were fully white just like my house and floated right over the road.

As I entered the car, the driver made sure to show he knew I was the shining star from the perfume ad and treated me as such, only making me feel more anxious.

"Can you please just bring me to the L'Interrupteur department right over street A-245?", I said, "and please, stay quiet".

I arrived to the three-story building, clenched my fists and stepped in. To my dismay I was still applauded as I came. Though I was immediately given the turn to speak with the boss when I asked to.

"Hello, Pete Sharrow! I see your name is everywhere!"

"Why did you do this to me?"

"What do you mean?"

"You put my name and face everywhere without my permission! Why?"

"I don't know what you mean. I didn't do anything. Also what do you mean be without your permission?"

"I never agreed to be advertised everywhere in this city"

"Correction: the entire country"

"What?", I shouted and I'm pretty sure the entire building heard me.

"If you have a problem with it, you'll have to take it to the CEO"

"And where is the CEO?"

"I don't know exactly, but my secretary can search that"

I left the boss office in a rush. Indeed the secretary handed me a paper containing the address. To my horror it was located in Argentance, France. What was supposed to be my day off would be the day I go to France.

"You can also speak with him over the phone, you know", commented the secretary.

"Oh right"

I looked at her for a while and then the video phone on her desk, then said:

"Can you call them for me?"

"Sure"

She started typing the name and ID number of the main headquarters.

"Can you speak French?", I questioned.

"Bien sûr je peux", she answered and I took that as an yes.

The face of a secretary eventually showed up in the screen and spoke something in French I didn't understand. The secretary from here replied and they kept talking about something I couldn't understand.

"She's transferring to the CEO now", announced the secretary.

The video changed to the figure of a man wearing white shorts, shirt and hat and carrying a golf club. I assume it's the CEO and he didn't seem pleased to have been L'Interrupteur'd from golf.

"Qu'est ce que c'est"

"Hello, I'm Pete Sharrow and I want to know why you put my name and face on your propaganda without my permission. I also want to know how did you take my picture"

The man from the video didn't seem to understand a thing. The secretary translated, he said something and she translated back:

"He's saying you can't be Pete Sharrow because Pete Sharrow is right there"

"What?", I shouted, "are you kidding me?"
Out of the video I could spot a man that looked exactly the same to me, except he was wearing white shorts and a light blue shirt and looked way more handsome.

"This is Pete Sharrow, he's saying you are an imposter"
At this rate I couldn't hold it. I moved to the front of the screen and shouted:

"How is he Pete Sharrow? I'm Pete Sharrow! My ID number is 331245 and I was born in 15/09/2404. He can't be me! I'm Pete Sharrow!"

The secretary translated it more calmly. I could see the CEO searching something while the supposed Pete Sharrow looked at me curiously. Eventually the secretary exchanged:

"Yeah, indeed there are exactly two Pete Sharrows ID number 331245 and born in 15/09/2404 in the world"

"What could it mean?"

Again they exchanged something, the CEO searched something and they gave me an answer back:

"Were you in TelleVisa special?"

I tried to recall what was it. I think I heard the name somewhere. I think I was invited by Telle something to go to a big event with the wealthiest people in the world. I remember they also made me to agree to a terms and conditions thing that was 25 pages long.

"Yes", I said.

"And you agreed to the terms and conditions?"

"Yes"

"Did you read the part you would be cloned and sold as an advertising object"

"No. Wait, what?"

They again exchanged something and that only made me want to punch the video phone and the secretary all at once.

"The CEO said the terms and conditions predicted you would be cloned and put at sale as a propaganda actor. L'Interrupteur Company bought your clone and they spent millions to make you look more perfect. They're sad to inform you they can't get rid of the clone now and they recommend you to not try to take legal action because that may drain your money for nothing. Nothing they can do at all"

The secretary looked at me awkward, discreetly pressing a button.

"Hey don't worry, being a star won't be that..."

I screamed at the top of my lungs and charged towards her, but just in time, two men came to stop me and brought me outside the building. I had to be carried all the way back to my home and they completely shut it down, leaving me locked in my own house.
The next day, after waking to a completely trashed home, I was sent an email:

We're really sorry for this and we, the L'interrupteur Company, decided to pay for your identity change surgery. You will be transported to the best hospital of Austerity and won't need to worry about anything as we got it all covered.
Sincerely, the CEO

I knew an identity change surgery would mean completely changing my face, skin, features and even the bone structure to turn me into someone completely different. They would also change my name, ID number and date of birth to fit my new appearance.
Before the surgery, the assistant gave me a bunch of papers. From the number of the pages, I could tell there were 35.

"What are these?", I asked the assistant.

"The terms and conditions"

Spoiler: The Final Bottle

The Final Bottle

After years of conflict between nations, a plague originated from the war spread all across the globe. It started silent and when the humans realized, it was too late.

When they died, their soul would ascend to the sky and end up in a bottle, that once filled had to be retrieved and replaced by one of the gods. The god tasked to retrieve the bottle of human souls is Abhmar, who had the appearance of a short chimp.

Today Abhmar had a lot of work, constantly replacing the bottle just to find the replacement is about to be full.

Soon showed up Cakarbar, who had the appearance of a white small bird and was Abhmar's only friend.

"How are you doing today?", asked Cakarbar.

"Busy, really busy", answered Abhmar, "now you excuse me".

The chimp returned with another bottle and replaced the full one.

"Too many deaths today?", questioned Cakarbar.

"Yesterday was worse"

The white bird god stared the bottle with curiosity as it filled pretty fast.

"I can see something is really wrong", observed Cakarbar, "what really happened?"

"It's a plague, set by themselves", answered the chimp god.

"They are going extinct! Can't you save them?"

"I could absorb the plague all away from them to me, but that would cost my life"

The bird god could see from the eyes of its own group of species the whole world, including the now devastated cities of what was once a powerful civilization. It remembered watching the human species grow from a small group of nomads, to being great farmers, animal tamers, later make the inorganic resources of the nature work for them on what they called industrialization and finally surpassing the physical with what they called virtual technology.

Now all that could be seen is small groups of desperate people looking for food. The bird god felt the pain of the mother who just watched her child die in front of her.

"You'd give your life to save the human race? For a few more minutes?", finally asked Cakarbar.

"No, to doom them"

"You hate them that much?"

The chimp god stopped doing what it was doing and stared the bird god dead in its eyes.

"I hate them? I DESPISE THEM! They were the biggest mistake a god could have done! I gave them everything, everything for them to develop themselves and reach close to us! Instead all I get to see is constant wars and suffering. I should have seen since from the beginning they were going to be destructive when they started killing off the giant mammals. I could have put an end right there! They angered many other gods by killing their own group of species! Hey, that includes you! How can you ever care about them? Shouldn't you worry about your birds?"

Cakarbar couldn't answer.

"I shouldn't have given them the free will! I knew it was a bad idea", wailed Abhmar.

Cakarbar knew there was a price for the free will. Each species has something called instinct, which is none other than their own creator's will that shape their own creation's will. Leaving holes in their instinct leave them less predictable and harder to save when needed. Cakarbar could see Abhmar left a huge hole.

"I'd rather just watch them die", continued Abhmar.

"The human species was the most interesting species I have ever seen. All animals before them only had programmed behaviors. They knew how to get their food, to survive from the cold and the predators, to find the member of the opposing sex and reproduce. But humans, they were entirely different. Unlike other animals, they were since birth dependent on each other. When they grew up they still relied on each other. One single human couldn't survive alone, but a human in a society could beat any other species. Their civilization brought a colorful contrast to the lands, without them it would be just monotone forest", commented Cakarbar, "it's a shame they are dying"

Abhmar at this point was crying.

"Abhmar?"

"Whatever, I can just create another species like them. If I give them partial free will maybe I can stop that catastrophe from repeating", said Abhmar.

"But they won't feel the same at all"

"You're right, I think we just need to let them die and go back to what we were doing"

At this point the bottle was filling really slowly. It didn't mean they were getting back on road, but rather that there weren't many left to die. It would be just a matter of time until the last one perished.

"Do you know what amazed me the most about them?", asked the chimp god.

"What?"

"Their ability to love each other", responded Abhmar, "despite all the atrocities they have done to each other, they still had an impressing way of bonding with each other which most animals don't. While all other animals are programmed to love each other to spread their DNA, humans just...love each other naturally, even if they don't carry their DNAs at all. Or even if they aren't retributed at all"

"Maybe you love them just like that?"

The chimp god looked at Cakarbar's eyes, then looked back to the bottle. He knew it was the last one and as soon it filled it would seal humanity's fate. It was pretty clear the bottle was just a few souls away from full.

"You're right. After all things they have done, I can't not love them", responded Abhmar, "creating another species just will never fill that gap"

"Wait, are you sacrificing for them?", asked Cakarbar shocked.

The chimp god nodded.

"You can't do that! You're a god, they're mortals, in fact they're about to die! It's not worth saving them!"

"Listen, Cakarbar. I was there with them since the beginning, when they were a weak species against the many strong predators. I have seen them recover even from the most desperate situations, including the black death. I can say that they will make this out for sure"

"You're my only friend, Abhmar. You taught me to have dreams, ambitions, goals. Before you I was merely a bird god with my own programming affect my own behavior. All I would do is caw and chirp and retrieve my own bird soulds as if I was programmed by some entity just like we've been doing. Thanks to you I have gone outside my own bubble to help you with your own species, even at the expense of mine"

"I know, hence why I design you my sucessor"

"Me?"

"Yes, you will be in charge of them now. You will look at them just like I did. You will suffer with them just like I did. You will love them just like I did"

Abhmar was clearly pale. Multiple black tentacles surrounded its feet.

"Abhmar, I can't..."

"Please, promise you will look after them"

The body of the chimp god was slowly disappearing into dust.

"Abhmar, no..."

"Please, promise...just for me"

"Okay, I...I promise"

"Thank you, friend"

The last dust of what was once Abhmar, the creator of the human species, flew away in the air, leaving only Cakarbar in the room.

After the initial shock, Cakarbar moved to the room where its friend kept all the bottles containing the human souls. There were no empty bottles at sight.

Cakarbar sighed and just as it moved out of the room, it toppled on a tiny empty bottle. The human species was alive.

Spoiler: Parents of Christmas

Parents of Christmas

"Are you ready?", asked the mother.

"I am always ready, dear", answered the father.

The mother jumped to the side. The two elves present were alerted, but it was too late. They were both knocked down.

Another elf came from behind, but the father made sure to kick it unconscious to the wall.

"I think that was it?", asked the father.

"Shh", hushed the mother.

Indeed they could hear voices speaking some language the parents didn't understand. And they seemed to be coming for them.

"What do we do now?", asked the father.

"Climb up the boxes", answered the mother.

They climbed to the top of the multiple scattered boxes around the room. The door unlocked and two elves showed up speaking something when they saw the three unconscious elves.

They began to search around the room for signs of invaders, but they didn't bother to look up and that turned to be their mistake.

"I'll take the front", said the father confidently as he went through the door the two elves previously unlocked.

The father readied his slingshot while the mother got her shoe ready to hit any elf in the way. As they proceeded through the corridor, they only found a T-shaped crossway.

"Do we split?", suggested the father.

"No, we shouldn't split up. Remember what happened last time?", warned the mother.

"Okay, then", sighed the father, alternating his fingers: "eenie meenie miney mo..."

"Just take the left", told the mother.

"Why?"

"We took the right last time"

They took the left path and found themselves in a large storage. They looked around, but found nothing.

"You took the wrong path, dear", commented the father.

Suddenly a large number of elves came from every direction. The father took three of them out with the slingshot and kicked a fourth into the fifth, while the mother spun her body hitting five elves with her shoe.

"We need to get out of here", shouted the father.

The mother spotted a small opening behind a large box.

"Follow me!", she took the father by his hand and pushed him towards the opening.

Past the opening, she kicked the box, closing the hole and leaving them in complete darkness. The father clicked his flashlight.

"There are elvish darts all over you", pointed the mother.

"And so are there on you", replied the father.

They knew the elvish darts could make its victims black out. They weren't really deadly, but it would frustate any chance of them getting presents for their children this Christmas. To null its effect they had to rub milk over the wound.

After they were done rubbing milk, they followed the path all the way to a room, where they found Santa sitting on a throne.

"Get ready to have your ass kicked, Santa!", challenged the father.

"Okay, you won", surrended the Santa.

"Afraid of us now?", mocked the mother.

"Yes, I am. Listen, I still have millions of parents forward to challenge. You already beat me before and you will know how to beat me now. Santa's getting too old to be beaten by every single parent. At least leave me intact to challenge first-time parents"

The Santa kicked one of the boxes and signaled to the parents to pick it up. The father approached the box, but suddenly a toy train hit him from the side.

"Haha! I'm not giving up this easily!", challenged Santa, taking two toy guns.

"Hide!", shouted the mother as both parents jumped behind different boxes.

"You can't hide forever!", mocked Santa.

The mother took the candy cane and dipped the tip in milk. Then threw it to the father who aimed with his slingshot the tip of the candy cane against Santa and shot.

"Ugh!", yelled Santa, "okay, now you really won. Take your stupid gifts"

The parents hesitated.

"Just do it! I was already defeated", ordered Santa.

The mother checked the box for each gift while the father covered her with another candy cane in his slingshot.

"It's all here! Let's go", announced the mother.

"Tell us one good reason to not tell the truth", intimidated the father to Santa.

"You already know the answer: if you tell them the truth, Christmas will end and there will be no more gifts for them. You wouldn't want to ruin their childhood, would you?", smiled Santa.

"Let's just go", the mother pushed the father through the same hole.

---

The parents watched with satisfaction their children opening the gifts under the Christmas tree when their daughter came up:

"Can we send a thank letter for Santa?"

"Of course, dear. We can", answered the father.

They stared each other then smiled.

"I hope you're ready for Easter", joked the father.

"Shut up", counter the mother.

Spoiler: A Devil's Cry

A Devil's Cry

"I need a favor"

I stared dumbfounded as I saw none other than the own devil offering back the soul sphere thing I sold him years ago.

"Why would you ever need it? You're the devil?", I questioned.

"Years ago you wanted to end all the religions over the world", said the devil.

"Yes"

"By selling me your soul, I gave you the knowledge to prove through a mathematical equation there's no superior being"

"Yes"

"And by that, you have made all people believe there's no god at all"

"Yes, where are you trying to reach?"

"You see, by making them believe there's no god, you also made them believe there's no devil"

"And? That should be a plus for you, they won't feel aware of your temptations"

"No, the situation is way more severe"

"What could be so severe if you're the devil?"

"Nero, I am disappearing! Just like god, I need people to believe I exist so I can exist. Hence why I'm giving back your soul. All you have to do is point that there was an error in your equation to make people believe there's still a possibility god exists, still a possibility I exist"

I looked deep on the devil, who was now pretty much in its knees. I smirked, then began to laugh. Laugh out of the top of my lungs, for minutes. When I finished, I said:

"Are you serious? Are you really serious? The devil wants to return my soul just so I make people believe god can exist? What do you think will happen? It will be all over the newspapers: Nero, the mathematician known for proving the non-existence of god, was actually wrong"

The devil nodded, almost comically. I shouted back:

"No, I'm not doing that! It's your problem, not mine!"

"You better do that, or else...", the devil threatened.

"Or else what? Will you destroy my soul? I already sold my soul and I don't need it anyways!"

"No, I will torture you when you die"

I laughed further, I couldn't bear what the now pathetic devil was saying.

"Not if you disappear first", I mocked.

"Don't doubt me, you know there are still a select few who still believe god and hence me"

"The god believers? Haha! Please, don't make me laugh. The god believers are just pathetic anti-science folks, they even still believe in flat earth and creationism theory"

"I can destroy your body right now!"

"Do it then!", I challenged.

It was a shot in the dark, but to be honest I was quite amused, maybe because I didn't have a soul to begin with. The devil with the dirt from my backyard formed a huge fist. He moved his arm in my direction and I watched the dirt fist move towards my direction. Instinctively I punched it back and I saw it dismantle in inert dirt.

"Haha! Where are your god believers now?", I mocked.

I began moving away when the devil proposed something interesting:

"Make them believe in me and in return not only will I return your soul but I will also give me your soul!"

"Hmm!", I stopped in my tracks, "a devil's soul?"

"Yes, I will be completely under your power! You won't just be a known mathematician who proved the existence of god wrong, you will be the commander of devil"

I was now really amused. What started once as a pact of submission to the devil in order to prove all religions wrong now brought the own devil willing to be my slave. I was just wondering something:

"People have to believe something in order for that something to exist, right?"

"Yes", the devil answered.

"Does it also apply to someone's powers?"

"Yes, of course.

I walked close to the devil looking at him with a smirk.

"I'm willing to accept your proposal, but on one condition:", I raised a finger then said: "I will be the god people will believe in"

Spoiler: Learning to Fly

Learning to Fly

I was born in a small village, inhabited by a few people, surrounded by a chain of mountains blocking the exit from the valley.

Ever since I was born, I was a curious girl. At a very young age, I already had explored the entire village and the forest. I would be amazed at the flowers infesting the tall grass at the southeast, the ducks swimming in the lake at the west, the abandoned houses at the north and the scattered large rocks that formed large natural sculptures in the northeast.

But the place wasn't big enough for me. As I looked at the clouds hovering over the large mountains that surrounded every direction, I always wanted to go beyond them and explore the new places. However, the path, not only was too steep but was also too dangerous to climb.

I tried asking everyone in the village what was past the mountains.

"I believe it's just endless mountains after it, dear", answered my single mother.

"My aunt said there are monsters past the mountains, she tells me stories about the devourer of children and how it goes after disobedient children. The mountains are there to protect us", responded my best friend, clearly terrified from his aunt's stories.

"Yes, there are likely monsters, such as carnivore plants, human-eating oxen and children-devouring humanoids", terrified me even more the village merchant and most ambitious inhabitant, who then proceeded to talk about amazing things that could be on the other side with a gleam in his eye, "but there may also have flying horses, house-sized birds, and trees the size of the mountains past them. There may also have a lot of gold, and jewels, and even magical artifacts".

"Were you there?", I asked curiously.

His expression changed to a sigh: "no, I wasn't".

I began walking away disappointed with the lack of answers when the merchant called from the distance: "wait, I heard there was someone in the village who went beyond".

I immediately turned around and asked excitedly: "Who? Who?"

"I don't know", shrugged the man, "all I know is that he lives separated from the village, somewhere hidden. I don't know where exactly".

I began searching where that man could be. I searched in the flower field, which is such a nice place for someone to live in, but even looking everywhere I couldn't find him. Then I searched the lake, but couldn't find anything and there was no sign of an underwater house. Then I searched the abandoned houses, I looked at every house carefully, even looking for secret passages or whatever house could be hidden among the trees, yet no results. Finally, I searched around the scattered rocks, it would be a pretty good place for a man to hide, but despite asking my friend to overturn the rocks, I couldn't find him.

The search lasted days, weeks, but I couldn't find anything indicating that man's presence. Where could he be? Did I search it right? Maybe there's something indeed underwater? Or a house I haven't found? Or maybe a really heavy rock we haven't overturned?

I sat on the only stone in the south part of the valley and hugged my legs as I watched the flock of birds flying around the walls of the mountains. I envied them for being able to fly and explore whatever was beyond that giant wall.

I watched one of the birds fly to a path I don't remember taking before. As I walked through it, I noticed strange plants growing on the rocky floor. The path led to a dead-end and I only could watch the bird fly past the mountain, but I could also see something like a wooden window ten feet above me on the wall.

It was pretty hard, but it was possible to climb through the side of the wall containing small holes that could be used to grip on.

The window door was unlocked and as I opened, I spotted one single room containing one sleeping bag, one rusty shelf, one large chest and scattered objects, mostly seemingly useless.

When I opened the chest, there was something that seemed like a blanket, but it wasn't the usual blanket, and it seemed...colorful.

"What are you doing here?", shouted an old man from the wooden window.

"What is this?", I asked him about the colored blanket thing.

"Nothing", he bluntly said.

"Are you...are you the one who went beyond?"

"What?"

"The one who traveled past the mountains?"

The man stood silent but then began to push me towards the exit. I had so many questions, but he kept cutting me off whenever I asked about something.

As I stared at the ground from the window, I realized I couldn't climb down. The old man seemed pretty unhappy bringing me down. It didn't help he tripped halfway and we fell. As he pushed me away, I couldn't help but ask:

"What is beyond the mountains?"

He stopped for a while, then answered: "you won't want to know what's beyond"

"Are there monsters?", I asked worriedly.

"No, it's worse", he answered seriously, "don't get too curious about it"

And with that, all my desire to explore the world beyond the mountains was shattered. I have smelled the flowers in the flower field less, I have seen the ducks swimming in the lake less, I restricted myself to just look the abandoned houses from the distance and only once in a month I would sit at the rocks near the rock sculptures. I lost my will to tour through the valley. I have become timider, more recluse in my home.

On the other hand, I gained experience and I became more caring. While I stayed home, I watched my mother bake cupcakes. She would send me to deliver them to everyone in the village and I happily did, but I felt like I was missing someone.

I asked her to prepare one extra cupcake. I'd walk every day to that same wall with the wooden window and I'd leave the cupcake on the ground, yet the next day I would see it on the same place or scattered around being taken by the ants. Still, I didn't give up.

One day I saw the old man off from his lair. He was just sitting in a rock while carefully examining his weird plants. I silently greeted him, handed the cupcake and began to walk away when he called from the distance:

"Wait"

I turned around, waiting patiently what he had to say:

"It should be pretty obvious I don't want cupcakes or anything from anyone here", he expressed, "why do you insist? Why are you taking the effort?"

"I care about everyone in this village", I answered.

"Why would you care about me?"

"You must have suffered a lot outside the valley", I expressed before continuing to walk away.

"Wait", the man stopped me again, "I know what you want and I only gave half the truth. Show up tomorrow at the same time and I'll tell you the whole truth"

The next day, I found the old man awaiting my arrival on the same rock. I was surprised to see the same blanket I found in the chest. It was big enough to cover the entire path and touch the wall from both sides while it had an oval shape with one side ending with a big hole. I could see the colored stripes ranging from dark red, red, dark orange, yellow-orange, yellow, green, dark green, cyan, light blue, blue, indigo, and violet before returning to the dark red stripe. I also spotted a large rip present on the other side of the balloon.

"You cook very well", complimented the man.

"It was my mom", I answered.

"You wanted to know what was this, right?", the old man pointed to the oval blanket, before I could confirm, he continued: "that's a hot air balloon. It's supposed to be filled with air, which is then heated with a torch to be made lighter and hence fluctuate. There's supposed to be a chest attached to this side where you can stay in and fluctuate with it"

"By fluctuate you mean to fly?", I asked curiously.

"Yes, like the birds. Higher than the birds", the man responded, I could see he was smiling. He added: "enough to travel beyond the mountains"

"My mother says beyond the mountains there are only more mountains"

"It's pretty natural for her to think that. She was probably a curious girl just like you, but as she never got answers, she assumed there was nothing beyond the mountains. She sees this village as the center of her world, and everything beyond is just monotonous"

"My friend's aunt says there are monsters outside"

They're afraid of the unsure, hence why they associate the unsure with danger. It's partly genuine fear and partly something they tell themselves to feel better staying where they are"

"The merchant says we will find flying horses, house-sized birds, and mountain-sized trees...and also a lot of wealth beyond"

"Woah, calm down! It doesn't get that unreal. There are magnificent things beyond the mountains, and a lot of natural wealth, not restricted to gold. It'll take days to tell you about everything even succinctly, but I won't mind, it seems better than do nothing every day"

The man stretched and got up from the sitting rock, before saying: "I need to rest now, but we can continue tomorrow"

The old traveler was indeed patient. He made sure to tell everything by groups while also making sure to amaze me on anything.

First, he told me about the plants. He told me about carnivore plants, giant flowers, flowers that glow in the night while telling their general characteristics.

Next, he told me about not only the wide lakes but also the flowing rivers that on their way flowered life around before dumping into the ocean that covered the entire world.

Following that, he talked about the animals, taking a good two full weeks to tell about the insects, the sea life, the wide variety of mammals, reptiles, and birds. I mainly liked when he talked about birds because of their ability and live everywhere around the world.

He described beaches, waterfalls, mountains ten times the size I'm used to seeing, grand canyons, Vulcans, acid lakes, meteor sites.

Eventually, he started talking about other communities, their cultures, the shape of their houses, things even the local merchant couldn't dream of. I learned there was a global human society around the world divided into countries, each with its tradition. Soon I fell in love when talking about the other communities.

They had their history, about their victories, development, achievements. But it soon started to get dark.

There were wars, there were famines, there were plagues, there were genocides, there were tortures, there was fear, there was despair, there was depression, there was hopelessness.

The old man no longer smiled when he talked about that, instead, his voice got lower, his face got darker. I felt the area around me lose its light and the monsters my friend's aunt used to describe coming in form. I felt the urge to run back home and hide.

My friend's aunt wasn't completely wrong, but monsters aren't the clawed or horned creatures the villagers describe. They aren't external, they're inside the society, inside the neighborhood, inside the family, inside yourself. When he told me outside was worse than how the aunt described, he meant it was worse people harm each other.

That was what happened after all: the old man, with the hot air balloon, fled from the misery. He started this village to rebuild a better society, even if it meant isolating us from the outside world. He then isolated himself, to protect us from his pain.

That is until I pushed him enough.

Time didn't rest. While I grew up and learned new abilities with my mother, the old man became weaker until he could no longer supply himself. I took care of him and I remember when he told me:

"You look sad...like, you used to be more adventurous"

I stood quiet, then he continued: "you shouldn't be scared about the outside. There are people just like you there. I don't want you to hide here just because I scared you. Yeah, there are pretty scary things outside, but you learn to take it afterward"

Later he told me: "you can stay here and not worry about the outside, or you can travel outside and feel what freedom is. It is your choice, I won't be here to judge you anyway"

A few days later he died of old age. I brought home the large chest containing the ripped hot air balloon.

I have since then married my childhood friend, had a son and became a seamstress. Just like me, my son had the spirit of an adventurer. Whenever I could, I would bring him to play around the flower field, feed the ducks at the lake, explore the abandoned houses and jump around the rocks. Still, couldn't prevent him from one day asking:

"What is on the other side of the mountains?"

"I don't know", I lied, "it shouldn't matter much"

The boy walked away depressed and I felt guilty about it, but I knew he would overcome.

One day I opened the large chest and, determined to give him an answer, I sewed the rip in the top half of the blanket thing. It took me long nights to get it as tight as possible and probably cost me a lot of wool. Afterward, I would need to make a huge basket and I didn't have anything to make it. However, to my relief, I could get the merchant to agree on getting fiber. He got me another woman who, alongside my mother, helped me make the basket.

My husband also got invested, asked for help and soon the whole village was involved. We had finished the basket, the merchant got four strong ropes that connected the basket to the balloon, my husband installed the torch and the other men were a massive help to get the air inside the balloon.

The day my son completed 10, the entire village was reunited around the full hot air balloon, standing bigger in width and height than any other house. I was standing inside the basket with my husband and my son.

There was standing the merchant, who told us to bring him the wealth we find outside while I giggled. There was standing my husband's aunt, who told him to be careful and beat the monsters up. There was standing my mother, who finally told me how I have grown up and how proud she is of me.

When the balloon took off, I waved to them one last time before it headed towards the south and flew past the mountains. To my surprise, a flock of birds was following us during our journey.

I could see multiple mountains covered with trees.

I could see large fields of tall grass and multiple colors taking over them. I could see countless deers and bunnies walking through these fields.

I could see large lakes flooding other fields and there I could see white spots swimming on it.

I could see the river flowing from west to east to the ocean, while on the way coloring its sides with trees and blooming flowers.

I could see multiple white spots over the ocean that seemed like paper boats.

I could see countless houses showing up on the shore as a big city unveiled. There I could see people of all kinds walking here and there over the endless streets cutting the city.

I didn't care how long it would take the explore the rest of the world, I would have the entire time to do.

One day I would sit in the grass while watching the fireworks from New Year's eve with my grandchildren. They would ask where I come from and I would say I came from a village in a valley who never saw the world beyond it. I would then say I freed myself from the cage and learned to fly.

Spoiler: The Experiment - Epilogue
(Credit for this cool final image goes to Chelsea Butler, from Bevelite Studios)

The Experiment - Epilogue

"You said there were fifteen!", complained the caller.

"Yes, there were. But three of them went crazy and started killing the others before I took care of them. Only seven remained", sighed the scientist holding the phone.

"Okay, that should do. Please, give me a description of them", requested the caller.

"The first one is Dolly. She is usually quite agitated but adorable", described the scientist uninterestedly watching Dolly clapping her hands and running around.

"I don't care if they are adorable. What is next?"

"The second one is Dunny. He is very friendly usually", described the scientist.

"Do you have any that is useful?"

"I also have Elsa, who seems to have grown a pair of antennas. She likes to 'kidnap' the other specimen and hide them somewhere, but she is so clumsy they eventually escape", the scientist sighed when Elsa tried to grab Dunny to her hideout but the latter batted her off.

"A pair of antennas? Seriously?", the caller complained.

"There's Jet too. He is also agitated and is a pretty good runner", the scientist emphasized 'runner' remembering when Jet tried to escape that one time.

"I thought you would make them behaved"

"As I said, three of them went crazy and ruined everything", repeated the scientist, "anyway, there's also Frank. Frank is a pretty quiet boy"

"Quiet is not the quality I'm looking for", complained the caller.

"Lucifer is more curious and likes to poke on the other specimen"

"It doesn't matter. Is there anything good there?"

"There's Schneider, who I need after my childhood dog. He had a twin sister who he was mentally connected to, like, could send and receive telepathic messages from her, but his sister died on the confusion. There was also a malformation so he physically looks like a schnauzer and he's usually quite angry, but not as much as the three specimens I had to sacrifice"

"Are you serious?", shouted the caller, "I'm not looking for something adorable, friendly, quiet or whatever, I'm looking for soldiers, s-o-l-d-i-e-r-s! You promised me fifteen soldiers and all you got is a malformed dog, a clumsy alien and five other useless trash. I think I should report you to the authorities about your experiments on mutagenics and what you did to your previous assistant"

"Listen, I have another project on paper. This time I have fixed the loose parameters and I plan to attribute each specimen a different ability and at the same time I plan to control them. I promise in no time you should have not fifteen, but plenty of well-behaved soldiers that will do anything you order them to. Just give me another chance", begged the scientist.

"You better not blow it this time", then the caller hanged up.

The scientist put the phone away and sighed. A younger scientist showed up in the room.

"What did he mean about your previous assistant?", he questioned.

"Nothing", the scientist answered, "please, free the remaining specimens somewhere far from here"

"Of course", the younger scientist left the room.

The scientist grabbed old papers from the cabinet and put them on the table.

"I have something bigger in mind and this time I won't let it go loose", he grinned.

(haven't included Ausuka's The Facility because I didn't write it)
Sigh
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they/him

Post Post #2172 (ISO) » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:12 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Lol I knew Nero was scum from d1
"Am I a ghost like you, caught between the seams of two intertwining melodies?"

wiki // GTKAS
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2173 (ISO) » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:38 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

Nah, players are just spoiled. Sometimes I like to spoil them.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2174 (ISO) » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:41 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 2172, JacksonVirgo wrote:Lol I knew Nero was scum from d1
you only scum read me b/c I was pushing you as scum.

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”