Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #2600 (ISO) » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:00 pm

Post by Adel »

I meant that none of the scum are lovers at all, but you got the intention.
destructor
destructor
Mafia Scum
destructor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2601 (ISO) » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:54 pm

Post by destructor »

How would scum use that? I can see it being useful in trying to bringing scum from the other faction down with you by forcing them to claim a lover (probably a buddy), but townies would counterclaim immediately. Claiming to be lovers with one of your buddies could be disastrous if there's any risk one of you would be lynched. Massclaim would be awesome for the town.

When you said you wanted this game to encourage and teach new players to play well, how did you see the lovers mechanic contributing to that? Was it being able to bounce ideas of someone else?
.::][:::::][:::::][:::::][::.
SleepyPanda
SleepyPanda
Goon
SleepyPanda
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2602 (ISO) » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:23 pm

Post by SleepyPanda »

I suppose an early massclaim would just break it down to the same mechanics of this game. I don't really see it as disastrous though. The scum pairs would just claim lovers with one another. If one scum goes down, they would have the option of picking who goes down with them.
destructor
destructor
Mafia Scum
destructor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2603 (ISO) » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Post by destructor »

That's true. And I guess being able to pick who you'd rather go down with is a little better than having no choice about it, and leaves a bit of room for other possibilities as they might arise. But like you said, a massclaim would seem to boil it down to the same. Once you've claimed a lover there's essentially no point in ever going back on it.

4:4:12 looks good to me. 6 lynches for scum and 4 for town to win flawlessly, which sounds fair given the daytalking and what we saw scum achieve in this game.
.::][:::::][:::::][:::::][::.
orangepenguin
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
orangepenguin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2604 (ISO) » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:54 pm

Post by orangepenguin »

If you got to choose which scum had to die with the one being lynched, the person could pick the weakest of the scum team, leaving two good ones left. =] In the werewolves case, since Iceman would die, he would obviously still pick me to go down with him, rather than Sleepypanda.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #2605 (ISO) » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Post by Adel »

destructor wrote: When you said you wanted this game to encourage and teach new players to play well, how did you see the lovers mechanic contributing to that? Was it being able to bounce ideas of someone else?
right-- there is one player they can trust and talk about the game with outside of the game thread.

Did anyone really feel like they benefited from day talking?
Raging Rabbit
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Raging Rabbit
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2606 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:25 am

Post by Raging Rabbit »

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the balance as it is, keep in mind that a full one third of of the players are scum d1, which gives them tons of voting power. Being split into two faction makes a difference, but I still estimate the win percentage to be something around 50-25-25%. Picking the two most pro town looking couples and lynching their way to endgame doesn't guarantee a town win at all, in fact I'm almost sure one of the scum pairs would've been selected if we were to decide to use this strategy without the timestamp tell. A single pair that does a good job looking pro town can very possibly win this imo, especially after a well coordinated bus.

The daytalking was pretty useful and definitely added fun to the game, I enjoyed being able the converse with Walt the danger of anything we say being used to lynch us, and enjoyed gaining insight into how he thought about things.
WaltWishbone
WaltWishbone
Goon
WaltWishbone
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2607 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:29 pm

Post by WaltWishbone »

Adel wrote:
destructor wrote: When you said you wanted this game to encourage and teach new players to play well, how did you see the lovers mechanic contributing to that? Was it being able to bounce ideas of someone else?
right-- there is one player they can trust and talk about the game with outside of the game thread.

Did anyone really feel like they benefited from day talking?
I really liked the daytalk, it was good to be able to bounce ideas off RR and hear his thoughts without the "noise" of the thread before introducing them into the game.

I didn't realize you created the set-up Adel, nice job. I enjoyed it.
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2608 (ISO) » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:09 pm

Post by ThAdmiral »

After all the pairs came out in to the open I didn't think the daytalking was as useful.
Don't ask me to provide self meta
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #2609 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:32 am

Post by Battle Mage »

sad way to go really. :(
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2610 (ISO) » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:40 am

Post by neko2086 »

From a scum pov, daytalking is obviously useful for strategizing.

For the town, considering that you rarely get to be 100% sure of somebody's alignment in mafia games, the daytalking gives you the advantage of safely hashing out ideas with each other.

There was an argument about this during the game somewhere, and somebody said you could just do that in-thread, but then you're not sure if the people accepting or rejecting your ideas are town or scum,
and
if your idea is really crappy, somebody might use it as an argument against you. Your lover, on the other hand, could point out a grave oversight before your ideas are posted in-thread.

So yeah, I think it's useful.
In Tartiflette We Trust
EmpTyger
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
EmpTyger
It's a JOKE!
It's a JOKE!

Post Post #2611 (ISO) » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:37 pm

Post by EmpTyger »

Practice does not make perfect. Only a last post makes perfect.

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”