Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #5384 (isolation #0) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

In post 5348, Cabd wrote:>>Defends rape
I understand the need to clearly define rape and understand and agree what you're trying to do with this. I think that this is crossing a line.

For one, I can't help but feel like a little bit of context is missing. We are talking about a situation where some demon worshipper uses some magical voodoo bullshit to make someone want to have sex with them. The discussion of "is this rape or not" is purely intellectual - disagreeing that it is rape is not at all equivalent to defending rape culture because we are talking about a situation that isn't really comparable to real world scenarios. Roofies and date rape drugs have been brought up as real world equivalents, but there is a wide gap between knocking people out with chemicals (not okay) and using magical bullshit voodoo to make yourself look attractive (not real). The reason there is wiggle room in these imaginary scenarios is because of situations like Cupid's Arrow - is it rape because he's altering mindstates? Is it consensual because he's just awakening true love that was already there? - there is a legitimate debate to be had there because we are talking about intricacies of things that don't exist. There is not an equivalent "reasonable debate" to be had in real world situations, which is why it's so important that rape and consent are as clearly defined as humanly possible and everyone understands what they are and why they are important.

Secondly, I could also be misreading the situation completely, but it seems like we've kind of skimmed past the original point and are talking past one another and placing too much emphasis on the socially perfect answer, based on drealmer's initial response here:
In post 5315, drealmerz7 wrote:
In post 5312, Chara wrote:
In post 5284, Cabd wrote:Also I'm pretty upset about defining rape as consentual here. That's very not okay.
this. give a murder game content like this by all means, but i really wouldn't call that consensual.
):

he was totally into it in his heart and body though, anyone who wasn't wouldn't have been susceptible

he really enjoyed it, the only reason there's a "black out and don't remember" element is because I can't tell the player anything about what happened to them at Night actionwise but also want to subtly hint at something maybe having happened

the Skilled Hunter (Dave) wouldn't get tempted by her allure because of being devoted to his family, etc.

definitely never intended to get anywhere close to rape :\
The "frownie face, shit that's not what I intended, frownie face x2" doesn't carry an explicit "I'm sorry", but not finding the perfect words is different from being a stubborn rape apologist.

And finally, a bit of splitting hairs - expecting drealmer to confess to writing a rape scene and apologize for writing a rape scene when he didn't actually write a rape scene is a bit ridiculous. You can argue that emphasizing that it was consensual when she had to magic the guy in bed with her is an unhealthy view on sex in general, but writers have complete control of their characters in a way that human beings don't have over each other.

For example, I could write a short story about a couple where the man continually says no and very clearly and obviously refuses to give consent, but the woman forces sex anyways - as the writer, I can say that they established a safe word beforehand and thus it was consensual or nope, was rape.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #5385 (isolation #1) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

In post 5380, Varsoon wrote:It's okay to have hidden mechanics, but let me know that's definitely going to be the case in the game or is a staple of your mod meta. One big thing I do with each game I advertise is post a whole section about what a 'Varsoon' game is. That way, even people who haven't ever seen one of my games (such as new people on-site) can immediately get an idea of the kind of game I typically run. I also do a writeup of what my goals are for the game I'm planning on running. It's always best that players have a full sense of what they're getting into; it's fine for things to be unexpected from then on, but people have to know they're signing up to experience something unexpected.
I think this is an amazing piece of advice. Giving your players a sense of the "type" of the game they are expecting can help their enjoyment levels immensely; for example, Oakwood Village. I had the expectation that if I invested time in the flavor of my character than more of his story would be revealed and I'd have a say in developing him - if that expectation was never set in place, "Fergie" Ferguson would just be another one of the countless roles I can't fucking remember at all and the running scene wouldn't have stuck with me in the way it did.

I think that some people (read: myself, back in the day) avoid this sort of advertising because they think that it limits the freedom of the moderator, but proper advertising makes it more likely that the players who will do your game justice actually sign up.
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #5387 (isolation #2) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:55 am

Post by Nachomamma8 »

In post 5386, chesskid3 wrote:no you actually can't but thanks for trying
I don't appreciate being stereotyped.

Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #5425 (isolation #3) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

In post 5393, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:This game was specifically advertised as having "no NCN". For those who are not BDSM lingo friendly, that's "no non consent". That doesn't just mean rape, that means even scenes where non-consent is implied BUT WAIT IT'S ALL A SHOW!
This is the point that needed to be made.
This is the point that was lost.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”