Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Mafia in La-La Land (Game over!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:45 pm

Post by Quilford »

"I've never seen the night sky."

The year is 2059. The human race is intact. The world has not yet run out of oil or dry land, but it has run out of darkness.

Ready for Sleep
(2/21)

1. DeasVail,
Mafia Zzzoon
, survived and won Day 8!

7. Nachomamma8,
Mafia Zzzoon
, survived and won Day 8!
Resting in Peace
(19/21)

12. PMysterious,
Ordinary Neighbouriser
, lynched Day 1!

13. Shamrock,
Vazzzilla Townie
, killed Night 1!

15. MattP,
Ordinary Tracker of the Dreamt
, killed Night 1!

19. Knight of Cydonia,
Mafia Zzzoon
, lynched Day 2 but won!

16. Mehdi2277,
Vazzzilla Townie
, killed Night 2!

18. Gammagooey,
Mafia Zzzoon
, killed Night 2 but won!

11. Konowa,
Vazzzilla Townie
, lynched Day 3!

4. Kimor,
Vigilante of the Undreamt
, killed Night 3!

17. Blotch,
Tired Doctor
, killed Night 3!

3. RachMarie,
Mafia Sleep Therapist
, lynched Day 4 but won!

8. Equinox,
Compulsive Pharmacist
, killed Night 4!

14. 4nxi3ty,
Vazzzilla Townie
, lynched Day 5!

6. PeregrineV,
Vazzzilla Townie
, killed Night 5!

2. Staeg,
Vazzzilla Townie
, lynched Day 6!

21. greygnarl,
Vazzzilla Townie
, killed Night 6!

21. Jarvis,
Vazzzilla Townie
, killed Night 7!

5. N,
Vazzzilla Townie
, lynched Day 8!

9. petapan,
Vazzzilla Townie
, endgamed Day 8!

10. Empking,
Vazzzilla Townie
, endgamed Day 8!

Last edited by Quilford on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 59 times in total.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Post by Quilford »

Rules

a) Ethics and Etiquette

i) All the global rules and guidelines hold in this game, and are not duplicated below. Make sure you know what they prohibit.
ii) Never link to or quote from any QuickTopic provided by the mod, or from hydra QuickTopics. Loose paraphrasing should be fine.
iii) Excessive coarse language should not be directed at other players. Frustration is natural, but keep it in check.
iv) Cryptography and steganography are strictly forbidden.
v) If you have outside information which alters your knowledge of the game or suspect the game has been compromised, contact the mod immediately.
vi) If you are not sure whether an action you take could break these rules, err on the side of caution and privately contact the mod to find out.

b) Life, Death, and Lynching Mechanics

i) Your vote or unvote is valid so long as it contains the word 'vote' or 'unvote' directly followed by a player's name or 'no lynch', all in instantly readable unquoted bold text.
ii) Abbreviations or misspellings of a player's name or 'no lynch' are valid whilst voting, so long as they are unambiguous.
iii) A lynch occurs when a player receives greater than 50% of all votes.
iv) A no lynch occurs when greater than or equal to 50% of all votes are placed in favour. The game will progress to Night without a lynch.
v) Further votes and unvotes are invalid after a lynch or no lynch occurs.
vi) Players are not allowed to post once they have died through lynch or kill, including 'bah' posts.
vii) Votes and unvotes are invalid if they come from any account not listed as alive and presently in the game.
viii) If you are not sure whether a vote is or will be valid, err on the side of caution and privately contact the mod to find out.

c) Activity, Deadlines, and Action Submission

i) All Day phases last for 14 real life days.
ii) Night phases last 72 hours, but can be ended at the mod's discretion if all night actions are in and no player requests Night last its full length.
iii) Deadlines are extended only in exceptional circumstances or if a player needs replacement. No phase ends until all playerslots are occupied.
iv) Players may continue talking after a lynch has occurred until the mod flips the lynched player.
v) If Day or Night actions are not submitted via PM or bolded in a mod-provided QT before deadline, they do not resolve.
vi) Players who do not wish to perform an available Day or Night action should submit 'no action'.
vii) Players who do not post for 48 hours will be prodded. Not responding to a prod within 24 hours or receiving 4 prods will see a player being replaced.
viii) If a player expects to be unable to post for upwards of 48 hours, they should declare V/LA legibly, in bold, in-thread, to avoid being prodded.
ix) Keep in mind that being inactive disrupts the mod's and other players' enjoyment of the game and darkens their view of you.

d) Miscellaneous

i) When in doubt, ask the mod.
ii) Actions are resolved according to Natural Action Resolution, unless stated otherwise in your Role PM.
iii) The mod reserves the colour
Amethyst (#632174)
. Don't post in it.
iv) Don't exploit technicalities or poor wording in the rules to do something you should know is forbidden and unethical.
v) Punishment for breaking the rules is determined on a case-by-case basis, and may range from a warning to a modkill or force replacement.
vi) The mod reserves the right to add, modify, or remove rules as necessary, but will not change relevant rules during or after the fact.
Last edited by Quilford on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:54 pm

Post by Quilford »

Setup

Mafia in La-La Land
features a Cry_Wolf-esque
Dream
mechanic. The following details of this mechanic are public knowledge:
-You know that all players have the following ability present in their Role PM:
>
Sleep
: This ability gives you the possibility to
Dream
each Night. The use of any other ability will remove that possibility for the same Night.

-You know that all
Dream
s are guaranteed to tell the truth, and all appear via PM in the following form:
You wake up, sweating. The Lunarium is almost pitch-black, but the lights have started to brighten slowly, so the wake-up process has begun. You lie on the mattress, your brain recovering from the intensity of your
Dream
. The bed, sensing your distress, blinks soothing projections onto the wall. But the shock has corrupted the video files and frames are filled with artifacts and blank spots, transforming a smiling girl into a purple, ghoulish horror.

You stare at her until the
Dream
's effects have fully permeated your brain. Suddenly, you are imbued with knowledge --!

You know that at least one of the following players is
not
aligned with the
Ordinary
:

[names]

The lighting is at normal brightness now, and the other customers of the Lunarium are beginning to awaken. You rub the sleep out of your eyes and slowly climb out of bed.

-You know that exactly one player receives a
Dream
each night (unless the previous Day phase ended in a No Lynch), and that that this player is randomly selected from the pool of Sleeping players.
-You know that the players who appear in
Dream
s cannot be influenced by the moderator to, say, balance the gamestate (not that I would ever, ever dream of doing this), and that the method of player selection will be revealed at or before the end of the game.

This is a sample Role PM:
Welcome to
Mafia in La-La Land
, [playername]!

~~~

You are a
Vazzzilla Townie

You have the following abilities:
>
Sleep
: This ability gives you the possibility to
Dream
each Night. The use of any other ability will remove that possibility for the same Night.

Your Win Condition is as follows:
>>> You win when all threats to the
Ordinary
are eliminated and at least one player with this Win Condition is alive.

~~~

Please confirm by replying to this PM with your
role name and alignment

The game thread is here. Good luck, and have fun!

The game is backed up by SnakePlissken. The setup was reviewed by chamber, DarthYoshi, and BBmolla (who also co-designed it). Nevertheless, it is still highly experimental.
Last edited by Quilford on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:56 pm

Post by Quilford »

Distribution of Role PMs will start soon.

EDIT 9:30 PM AEST: Ten minutes from now, probably.

EDIT 10:00 PM AEST: All Role PMs are out. Pregame begins. It will end when I decide it ends. How delightfully arbitrary.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Post by Quilford »

Thanks for the snappy confirmations, guys! We have 17 people confirmed. I'm going to wait for two more, and then I'll start the game.

Now is a good time to familiarise yourselves with the rules and the setup post, if you haven't already done so.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Post by Quilford »

(Modnote: Flavour has no bearing on the game, but the game may have bearing on the flavour.)

Start of "Day" 1
June 19, 2059
8:30 PM

Dos surveyed the night.
He stood in the doorway of his apartment block and gazed out at the city. He had a fantastic view of the sprawl of the metropolis: millions of tiny lights arranged in perfect formations, some moving, some not. High rise buildings shot out of the ground like bars on a graph. Some were so tall that they were almost at eye level with him -- they had escaped the valley altogether and peered out into suburbia. Sometimes, from his room, Dos could see people in them peering out the window.

And then there was one other building, much, much taller than the rest, built in a feat of human engineering ten years prior. Dos had to crane his neck to follow its path upwards. The building was speckled with lights, but at a certain height they began to gradate into invisibility. Everyone knew why. At some point within the last decade air pollution had reached such unbelievable proportions that thick layers of smog blocked out the sky. During the days, hazy and overcast, it appeared as a shifting mass. At night it sat in the air, invisible, yet reflecting back light malevolently and perpetually. The world appeared badly in need of contrast. It was for this reason that Dos, gazing at the giant structure and wondering what was happening on the floors enveloped by smog, was about to leave his apartment.

Even in the middle at winter long after the sun had set, too much light penetrated people's windows for them to sleep. Some people tried to solve the problem in various ways. Some hung thick blackout curtains over their windows. Some wore darkly tinted glasses or sleep masks to bed. Some tried pseudo-scientific natural remedies or took sleeping pills to speed up the approach of unconsciousness. But most used Lunariums, structures deep underground built solely for the purpose of getting humanity a good night's sleep. Lunariums were so good that one night's rest in one could last you through the rest of the week. Two consecutive nights would see you leave with no trace of sleep deficit. If you used it any more frequently than that, Dos had been told, you would step out feeling completely rejuvenated, half a lifetime younger (and half a bank account lighter, no doubt). But people claimed that not only were the Lunariums costly, the use of artificial methods to fall asleep would bring ill health and a shortened lifespan. Rumours circulated that its users were secretly injected with illicit drugs that only put them under the illusion that they felt rested -- these people referred to Lunariums as 'La-La Land', a name that was starting to catch on with the wider population. Some pointed out that the corporation responsible for them was notoriously untransparent in its methods and refused to allow audits for standards complience. The only thing it cared about, they said, were its profits.

Dos wasn't a cynic, though. In the modern age, he believed, where humans litigated for anything from stepping in dog shit to tripping on the sidewalk, any corporation that so much as put a toe out of line would be filing for bankruptcy within a month. Lunariums still existed; ergo, they must not be doing anything wrong.

So he was heading to one -- after six days of non-stop work and play, he needed rest. A smooth transport pod glided up to Dos's feet. Its door hissed open, sliding up, and Dos climbed inside. He sat on the plush, comfortable seat and directed location information from his HUD to the pod's interface. Data appeared on his HUD; he confirmed it, paid using his credit chip, and the pod closed the door, locked itself, and slowly drifted down the valley towards its destination.

Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Post by Quilford »

Day 1
Not Voting
(21) DeasVail, Staeg, AGar, xRECKONERx, manho, PeregrineV, Seastormjt, Inox, Darkcrimson, Shiidaji, Konowa, PMysterious, Shamrock, whispersilk, MattP, Mehdi2277, Blastoide, Gammagooey, Jackal711, kondi2424, Bitmap

With 21 alive, it takes 11 to lynch or No Lynch.

Deadline hits in (expired on 2012-09-02 00:09:48).

Activity
Everyone but PeregrineV and Darkcrimson has confirmed. They have (expired on 2012-08-21 00:09:48) to confirm and post before they are replaced.

EDIT: PeregrineV has declared V/LA until the 20th.

Last edited by Quilford on Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shamrock
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Shamrock
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Post by Shamrock »

What's up!

VOTE: Bitmap
Two chainz, four bracelets. Let me see that ass clap, standing ovation.
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:17 pm

Post by DeasVail »

Vote: PeregrineV

He's the most likely to be scum.
Mehdi2277
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Post by Mehdi2277 »

Fine, and
Vote: Sham
for very minimal rvs reasoning.

And deas complete lack of confirmation is a bit different from lurking.
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Post by DeasVail »

In post 9, Mehdi2277 wrote:And deas complete lack of confirmation is a bit different from lurking.

There's a little more to it than that.
Seastormjt
Seastormjt
Goon
Seastormjt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Post by Seastormjt »

Vote: Inox

I'm sure you know why...
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Post by Quilford »

Activity
Ohay, I forgot to say that PeregrineV PMed me saying he'd be V/LA until the 20th. Updating the votecount...

Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:25 pm

Post by Bitmap »

Sup guys and gals.

VOTE: PMysterious

When you think about it, Jigglypuff works with this theme.
"I give up on trying to read you. You're unimaginably scummy, with a dose of ultra-Town thrown in for spice."
Blastoide
Blastoide
Goon
Blastoide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:27 pm

Post by Blastoide »

VOTE: PMysterious
Jigglypuff is one of MY favorite Pokémon!
Blastoide
Blastoide
Goon
Blastoide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Post by Blastoide »

Darn you, Bitmap! I guess there is a wagon already.
Mehdi2277
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Post by Mehdi2277 »

In post 10, DeasVail wrote:
In post 9, Mehdi2277 wrote:And deas complete lack of confirmation is a bit different from lurking.

There's a little more to it than that.

Which is?

And should all dreams be revealed at the start of each day (starting with day 2)? I'd personally think yes since the info it gives outweighs the minor role thing it reveals (fact the player didn't act that one night).
Blastoide
Blastoide
Goon
Blastoide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Post by Blastoide »

Can we dream more than once?
Either way I think we should do was Mehdii said.
PMysterious
PMysterious
Mafia Scum
PMysterious
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Post by PMysterious »

Hey guys. What's up.

Reason: Whoever votes me first gets the vote back. :wink:
Show
PM, here with a calmer nature.

Modded Games
Open 469: Medical Mafia
Open 698: Stack the Deck

Currently Modding Games
Bitmap
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Bitmap
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Post by Bitmap »

In post 18, PMysterious wrote:Hey guys. What's up.

Reason: Whoever votes me first gets the vote back. :wink:

OMGUS
"I give up on trying to read you. You're unimaginably scummy, with a dose of ultra-Town thrown in for spice."
Mehdi2277
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mehdi2277
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Post by Mehdi2277 »

Technically maybe. I'd assume it's unlikely (mostly in if I was mod I'd make a max of one dream for player to let more people have a dream) but no clue on how quil actually decides the dreams.

P-Edit: Pure OMGUS doesn't help at all pmyst. Getting out of rvs quick is important (and sham can reply to my comment when he posts again).
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Post by DeasVail »

In post 15, Blastoide wrote:Darn you, Bitmap! I guess there is a wagon already.

Why make this post?

PEdit: I'm not sure if Quilford's latest post changes things, but basically it's because he hasn't confirmed despite posting at around this time yesterday. I think that even though he's V/LA he probably would have checked his PMs, and I think it's pretty easy to quickly confirm, but I think it's less likely he would have if he had a Mafia QT to distract him. The main thing though is that I don't know why he wouldn't have confirmed.

Also, I agree with the dream reveal thing.
PMysterious
PMysterious
Mafia Scum
PMysterious
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:39 pm

Post by PMysterious »

Yeah, it wouldn't help, but I was being hit by a wagon right off the bat. So, I had to do something.
Show
PM, here with a calmer nature.

Modded Games
Open 469: Medical Mafia
Open 698: Stack the Deck

Currently Modding Games
kondi2424
kondi2424
Jack of All Trades
kondi2424
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Post by kondi2424 »

PM, are you scum?
Show
"
He's saying your an idiot redff
" - theamatuer

"
Also, kondi may not be scum anymore. I'll check with my die.
" - vijay2vasandani

Town: 10-22
Scum: 11-3
Blastoide
Blastoide
Goon
Blastoide
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Post by Blastoide »

In post 21, DeasVail wrote:
In post 15, Blastoide wrote:Darn you, Bitmap! I guess there is a wagon already.

Why make this post?

PEdit: I'm not sure if Quilford's latest post changes things, but basically it's because he hasn't confirmed despite posting at around this time yesterday. I think that even though he's V/LA he probably would have checked his PMs, and I think it's pretty easy to quickly confirm, but I think it's less likely he would have if he had a Mafia QT to distract him. The main thing though is that I don't know why he wouldn't have confirmed.

Also, I agree with the dream reveal thing.

That would've been my PEdit.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”