California Trilogy - Dantès in Fresno (Game Over!)

Mr. Grey
Mr. Grey
Mystery Host
Mr. Grey
Mystery Host
Mystery Host

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:27 am

Post by Mr. Grey »

Vote Count:
11 to lynch.

Skruffs: 4 (Cogito Ergo Sum, jeep, Oman, Zindaras)
Adele: 1 (Skruffs)
Cogito Ergo Sum: 1 (Mgm)

Condorcet updates will be posted with vote counts during the second week of each day.
foolinc
foolinc
Goon
foolinc
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:31 am

Post by foolinc »

Since I don't know how many people are actually familiar with the book, The Count Of Monte Cristo, I took the time to get all of the characters from the Cliff Notes link that "Mr. Grey" kindly posted:

Edmond Dantès (alias the Count of Monte Cristo; his other aliases are Sinbad the Sailor, Abbé Busoni, and Lord Wilmore)
Monsieur Dantès
Monsieur Morrel
Julie Morrel Herbault
Maximilien Morrel
Cloclès
Abbé Faria
Cesare Spada
Haydée
Bertuccio
Luigi Vampa
Signor Pastrini
Peppino
ALI, the Count's mute Nubian valet
Jacopo
Gaspard Caderousse
Monsieur De Villefort
Renée, the first Madame de Villefort, née Mademoiselle Saint-Méran
Valentine De Villefort
Héloise, the second Madame de Villefort
Edouard De Villefort
Monsieur Noirtier
Monsieur Danglars, later Baron Danglars
Baroness Danglars
Eugénie Danglars
Fernand Mondego, alias the Count de Morcerf
Mercédès Herrera, later the Countess de Morcerf
Albert De Morcerf
Benedetto, alias Andrea Cavalcanti
The Marquis And The Marquise De Saint-Mèran
Doctor D'avrigny
Monsieur De Boville
Lucien Debray
Franz D'epinay

I also think there is some merit in talking about which characters could be apart of this game, if nothing else to be an ice breaker.

Now I'm not totally sure which characters are apart of this game but the one's that seem the most likely to be the members of the mafia are of course Baron Danglars, Count de Morcerf aka Fernand Mondego, Monsieur De Villefort, and Gaspard Caderousse since they are the four that send Edmond Dantès to Château d'If. I'm guessing if there is a serial killer on the loose, it's going to be Baroness Danglars since she poisoned a good number of people.

Then again, since there will be three games, it's a possiblity that the mafia is one of three major families to spread out the "scum" from CoMC. In this scenario Gaspard Caderousse seems to be left out, but I could see him as a serial killer because of his greed (kills the jeweler and attempts to kill Dantes when he was disguised as Abbe Busoni.

On a side note, The Count of Monte Cristo seems to be a great choice for a mafia theme. There are so many possibilites.

Continuing the speculation, we also have a possible doctor in D'avrigny, a possible miller in Benedetto, a possilbe set of lovers in Maximilien and Valentine, and maybe a roleblocker in Haydée.

I think the only character can be ruled out at this point is ALI, the Count's mute Nubian valet. Somehow I don't think a mute character would work very well in a game were you have to have a lot of quality posts.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:31 am

Post by Oman »

Mgm wrote:
I don't like Skruffs' use of the system so early.
So what makes it okay for you to use it then?
A desire to get to 25 words. Same reason I called you passionate :D
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:33 am

Post by Oman »

Also Foolinc, if you check out the first page I think we have a number of vanillia townies.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:35 am

Post by jeep »

Um... votes don't count towards the 25, right?

-JEEP
Mgm
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mgm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:47 am

Post by Mgm »

Oman wrote:
Mgm wrote:
I don't like Skruffs' use of the system so early.
So what makes it okay for you to use it then?
A desire to get to 25 words. Same reason I called you passionate :D
Gee, if you want to get your word limit, why not call me extremely passionate, that'd give you an extra word to use that counts towards the total. If you read the rules you'll know votes don't count.
Show
"Logic is a systematic method to come to the wrong conclusion."
[u][b]Next:[/b] Doctor Who Mafia[/u]
[u]Testimonials about Mgm:[/u]
:shock: - Stoofer
You put me through hell Mgm, my nerves are crushed :/ - Patrick
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:51 am

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

foolinc, if you had read the second post carefully, you would have noticed that the game is based only (very) loosely on the Count of Monte Cristo.

Apart from the usual reasons to not needlessly speculate about the set up, we have the additional reason of having nearly nothing to go on. If you want to help get this game started, you should, uh, vote for Skruffs.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:21 pm

Post by VitaminR »

Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:foolinc, if you had read the second post carefully, you would have noticed that the game is based only (very) loosely on the Count of Monte Cristo.

Apart from the usual reasons to not needlessly speculate about the set up, we have the additional reason of having nearly nothing to go on.
I agree with this man.

For the moment, I am going to go with an Oman vote. I'm not too fond of his Skruffs vote. Also, the winged kitten in his avatar scares me.

Vote: Oman
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:16 pm

Post by Oman »

Its a moogle. How does no-one know what a moogle is. I feel like i've grown up in the stone age if no-one remembers FFIV
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:04 pm

Post by Skruffs »

Well, I would presume that it is the count himself who brought us here, friend and foe alike. The concept of uniting your best friends as well as mortal enemies, however, and then asking them to kill each other, seems a bit unusual, even by the Count's standards.

While I am touched to be the very first wagon of this game, I don't find the wagon itself to be at all interesting. Zindaras is pulling the "kill skruffs" card really early, but it's also only page three. The more subtle coaxing by CES, that is more worth looking into, in my eyes, at this time. And of course OMAN's hypocrisy is already noted.

Please also note that the vote counts are in alphabetical, rather than chronological, order.

"ALI, the Count's mute Nubian valet"
I hope that the mod was smart in assigning someone this role, if such a role exists. It would be a good role for a lurker.

What's funny is that everyone who's voting me is not on my vote list. :)

The other thing about vote lynches is that they can be changed at any time. What is up with beign suspicious of them right now? AT the beginning of day one, I have absolutely no reason to be more or less suspicious of anyone in the game. Mass-fossing people, for that is what it is, effectively, makes more sense (to me) than hopping on a wagon. and targetting a single person right off the bat. But, that's just the way I see things, and if someone else cares to contradict me, I welcome the argument.
Cubsfan4ever
Cubsfan4ever
Goon
Cubsfan4ever
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:07 pm

Post by Cubsfan4ever »

What the...? Why does Skruffs have four vote?
Unban me please

At the very least, at least respond to my unanswered PMs mith.
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:25 pm

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

Because I can't use tags to do my normal random vote, I have come up with the next best thing:

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d20
1 20-Sided Dice Results: 7

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d19
1 19-Sided Dice Results: 16

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d18
1 18-Sided Dice Results: 14

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d17
1 17-Sided Dice Results: 15

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d16
1 16-Sided Dice Results: 7

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d15
1 15-Sided Dice Results: 11

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d14
1 14-Sided Dice Results: 9

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d13
1 13-Sided Dice Results: 4

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d12
1 12-Sided Dice Results: 11

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d11
1 11-Sided Dice Results: 2

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d10
1 10-Sided Dice Results: 6

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d9
1 9-Sided Dice Results: 2

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d8
1 8-Sided Dice Results: 5

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d7
1 7-Sided Dice Results: 4

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d6
1 6-Sided Dice Results: 1

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d5
1 5-Sided Dice Results: 3

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d4
1 4-Sided Dice Results: 2

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d3
1 3-Sided Dice Results: 3

Dice Roll:
Original Roll String: 1d2
1 2-Sided Dice Results: 2

Adele
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cubsfan4ever
foolinc
IH
jeep
logicticus
LoudmouthLee
Mastermind of Sin
Mgm
Oman
PlaysWithSquirrels
PookyTheMagicalBear
Skruffs
Talitha
Thesp
Thestatusquo
VitaminR
xyzzy
Zindaras

Vote: logicticus
, Thestatusquo, Talitha, VitaminR, LoudmouthLee, PookyTheMagicalBear, Oman, foolinc, xyzzy, Cogito Ergo Sum, Mgm, Cubsfan4ever, PlaysWithSquirrels, Mastermind of Sin, Adele, Skruffs, jeep, Zindaras, Thesp, IH

Tags corrected. Please use bold tags only for voting and unvoting. - Mod
Permanent V/LA.
LoudmouthLee
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:29 pm

Post by LoudmouthLee »

Okay. Time for some typical vintage LML stuff. You may call them null tells, you may call them typical LML bluster, but the following things caught my attention. Prepare yourself. LML has turned on the charms.
Zindaras wrote:Oman, iocaine powder doesn't have a smell.

Mod
, I assume that the wording for Rule 5 means that no "Bah" posts are allowed?

Please see the Post Content section of the rules regarding asking questions of the Mod.

The wording of rule 5 means that no "Bah" posts are allowed, correct. This is now explicitly stated. - Mod
I find it
very
interesting that Zindie felt a need for clarification on this point. That question makes me very uneasy. Quite like Zindy is looking for a way to seem more townlike. It's completely a hunch, but it's definately good enough for a D1 initial vote.
Skruffs wrote:Dinner better be good.

I should like to stir the pot a bit to start things off.
  • Vote: Adele
    , xyzzy, foolinc, logicticus, LoudmouthLee, No lynch, Mgm
Take no offense if your name is on that list, it is on there simply because I either am not familiar with your playstyle or, perhaps, am interested in hearing from you all first.

As I understand the rules (And I hope it is allowable to discuss this here, it seems as such) only Adele is being voted for, with a preferential treatment to lynch other people on that list.

Cool.
Scruffs hit the scum meter with this post, but for the reason of the fact that, in his initial vote, he listed he would rather lynch "NO LYNCH" over "MGM". He then goes back to saying he has neither played with or wants to hear from them. Yet, by his initial vote,
he has NO desire to hear from MGM

Zindaras wrote:Clearly, only a foul scumbag, cursed by the powers that be (read: mith) into being a god-forsaken, evil semblance of a man, would, at this point in the game, use Condorcet voting.

Confirm Vote: Skruffs
I plan on using the Condorcet voting method here, does THAT make me scum, too?
Oman wrote:I don't like Skruffs' use of the system so early. Seems he wants LOTS of people lynched (plus I'm not on the list :() Skruffs why is no lynch before MGM?

Mgm is metagaming with lots of passion. Obv scum.

Unvote Vote Skruffs
Adele, mgm
I happen to like Oman's reasoning here (as I am reading the thread and posting at the same time, but I'm a little concerned as to WHY scruffs is not on his list.

@Oman - Why not throw a vote (or at least a list position?) onto scruffs?

MoS's odd diceroll list is odd. I am unsure, at this time, if it is scummy.

Vote: Zindaras
, Skruffs, Mgm

Tags corrected. Please use bold tags only for voting and unvoting. - Mod
"LML = Mafia God" - Pie Is Good
"LML returns, plays one game, wins a Scummie, then leaves again!" - Primate
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:33 pm

What is *odd* about it?
Permanent V/LA.
LoudmouthLee
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:39 pm

Post by LoudmouthLee »

I don't ever like people who "say" that random.org affected their diceroll. I feel much more relaxed when people use the dice function (as it cannot be editied, and you're aware of that.) Now, I find people can "fake" random.org or "dicerolls" as such. How did you handle repeat rolls? Especially when you had only 2 or 3 names left? Did you keep on rolling? over and over again? How long did this process take you?

I am questioning if your random votes were truly arbitrary.
LoudmouthLee
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:42 pm

Post by LoudmouthLee »

EBWOP:

I don't ever like people who say that random.org affected their random vote. Since there is no way for us to know their rationale of random voting, I find it odd that you would go out of your way to make us "believe" that it was a random opening vote.
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:42 pm

Post by Skruffs »

I believe you misunderstood my intentions, LML. The reasons for voting those people are because EITHER I haven't played with them OR I would like to hear from them.

MGM is up there because I have never played with him. However, I have played in some of his games, so I have a sense of his style. You will note he is ABOVE all other players that were not listed, and BELOW no-lynch, which makes him MORE suspicious than other players in my eyes. I am not playing favoritism with him. If you were going to accuse me of favoritism, you would probably be better off picking on why I *did not* list some people. You didn't. You apparently have not thought very much about the actual mechanics of the Condorcet method.

Lastly, your second mis representation : OMAN IS VOTING ME. Are you asking for him to put me on his list TWICE?

I do have a dilemma to posit, now, thanks to LoudMouthLee's flailing about:
Gracious Mod
If someone doesn't care who gets lynched, as long as someone does, how would they represent that? Similarly, how would players that we absolutely don't want lynched (for example, a mason buddy, or a 'cleared' townie, etc) be represented in that system? Can we put "Everyone else, No lynch" as a list?

Tags removed. Please use bold tags only for voting and unvoting.

Please see the Post Content section of the rules regarding asking questions of the Mod. - Mod
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:44 pm

Post by Skruffs »

Third misrepresentation - MOS's system was similar to drawing names out of a bag. When a number is rolled, he rolles a dice with one less side to represent the pool-1 situation. Repeat as needed.

If you feel that MOS was not really random-rolling, then why do you think he placed everyone in that order?
LoudmouthLee
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:47 pm

Post by LoudmouthLee »

Skruffs wrote:I believe you misunderstood my intentions, LML. The reasons for voting those people are because EITHER I haven't played with them OR I would like to hear from them.

MGM is up there because I have never played with him. However, I have played in some of his games, so I have a sense of his style. You will note he is ABOVE all other players that were not listed, and BELOW no-lynch, which makes him MORE suspicious than other players in my eyes. I am not playing favoritism with him. If you were going to accuse me of favoritism, you would probably be better off picking on why I *did not* list some people. You didn't. You apparently have not thought very much about the actual mechanics of the Condorcet method.

Lastly, your second mis representation : OMAN IS VOTING ME. Are you asking for him to put me on his list TWICE?

I do have a dilemma to posit, now, thanks to LoudMouthLee's flailing about:
Gracious Mod
If someone doesn't care who gets lynched, as long as someone does, how would they represent that? Similarly, how would players that we absolutely don't want lynched (for example, a mason buddy, or a 'cleared' townie, etc) be represented in that system? Can we put "Everyone else, No lynch" as a list?
I messed up on Oman. I must have been reading a different line than his, question withdrawn, Oman. (I already said I didn't suspect him at this point)

Scruffs, I hate the fact that you don't understand anything. I will try to explain this again:

If you are making a list of votes, by you putting someone AFTER no lynch means, to me, you would rather NO ONE get lynched than THAT person. It seems INCREDIBLY off, especially at this point in the game.

@ Scruffs, why did you put No Lynch in your voting list, then?

Tags removed in quoted material. - Mod
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:49 pm

I "placed" everyone in that order because it's the list the mod posted on the first page. I "randomly" rolled dice by using the dice function in this forum in my notes section, since we aren't allowed dice tags in this game, for some random reason. I did not have to deal with repeat rolls, because I eliminated people as they were put on the voting list. This is a method that I have always used for mass claims, so you can look in my past games for evidence that I'm not just arbitrarily deciding how to handle this.
Permanent V/LA.
LoudmouthLee
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
LoudmouthLee
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:49 pm

Post by LoudmouthLee »

Skruffs wrote:Third misrepresentation - MOS's system was similar to drawing names out of a bag. When a number is rolled, he rolles a dice with one less side to represent the pool-1 situation. Repeat as needed.

If you feel that MOS was not really random-rolling, then why do you think he placed everyone in that order?
How is that a misrepresentation? I explained myself. Were you there, scruffs, when MoS rolled his dice?
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:01 pm

Post by VitaminR »

I'm not particularly keen on how quick Skruffs is to use the word "misrepresentation." Having a different point of view or even misunderstanding something is not misrepresentation.
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:26 pm

Post by Skruffs »

LML - why don't you have no lynch in yours? Taking your point forward, isn't it odd that you would rather see ANYONE get lynched then go to a no lynch? That strikes me as blood thirsty.

If I am understanding you correctly (and you have already decided that I do not understand anything), you seem to be saying that I am playing favoritism with MGM, when I am not. If you were to actually consider things, you would see that I would rather see MGM get lynched before anyone I did not place on my list at all. If I was playing favoritism, I would have pue everyone in front of MGM, or not included him in the list at all.

I really appreciate the insult to my comprehension of this game, when
you
are the one who seems to be going half-cocked for multiple reasons. Almost everything you've said, would not need to be said, if you put more thought into your posts before you hit submit.
If it really freaks you out that I have MGM after no lynch, it does not bother me at all to put him in front of it. Would that make you feel better?

I guess, thinking about it even further, that if very long lists are to be made, that people will have to place themselves at the end of it, lest they accidentally contribute to a self lynching.

Lastly, VitaminR:
Misrepresentation:
He portrayed MOS's vote in a way that was not true. That is a misrepresentation.
He asked Oman why he didn't vote for me, when Oman had. That is a misrepresentation.
And the chaff he's spewing about me about putting MGM after no lynch, that is also a misrepresentation.

Unless you think LML is just shooting from the hip and just not paying attention, in which case, it Might be considered
misunderstanding
, but I do not understand why you would immediately assume he had no idea what he was saying and doing.

Which do you think it is?
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:34 pm

Post by Skruffs »

Side note: I believe I am up to 6 people who, if not voting me directly, have voted me indirectly (I don't count MOS's because I'm so far down on his list), or at least expressed suspicion of me. Fortunately, this is not Calvin and Hobbes, so I am fairly sure that I can at least count on the mod not to ridicule me (too much). What a conundrum.

Zindaras, is there anyone else in this game you have noticed, or are you explicitly focused on getting see me to die?

I'm guessing that posting a new list overwrites the old one, otherwise things would get really cranky to figure out. the best thing about OMGUS votes is that now I can
MEGA-OMGUS

Vote: LoudmouthLee
, Zindaras, Oman, Adele, xyzzy, foolinc, logicticus, No lynch, Mgm

Tags removed. Please use bold tags only for voting and unvoting. - Mod
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:06 pm

Post by VitaminR »

Skruffs wrote:LML - why don't you have no lynch in yours? Taking your point forward, isn't it odd that you would rather see ANYONE get lynched then go to a no lynch? That strikes me as blood thirsty.
No, that's standard town thinking.
Skruffs wrote:If I am understanding you correctly (and you have already decided that I do not understand anything), you seem to be saying that I am playing favoritism with MGM, when I am not. If you were to actually consider things, you would see that I would rather see MGM get lynched before anyone I did not place on my list at all. If I was playing favoritism, I would have pue everyone in front of MGM, or not included him in the list at all.
This discussion is based on different views of the implications of the voting preferences rather than any real disagreement.
Skruffs wrote:Lastly, VitaminR:
Misrepresentation:
He portrayed MOS's vote in a way that was not true. That is a misrepresentation.
He never said MoS' vote was anything it wasn't. He just offered his opinion on the way in which MoS voted.
Skruffs wrote:He asked Oman why he didn't vote for me, when Oman had. That is a misrepresentation.
Erm... no, that is what we call a mistake. Misrepresentation is wilful. Unless you're arguing that LML was trying to get us all to think that Oman didn't vote for you (which seems a fruitless endeavour at best), that is not misrepresentation.
Skruffs wrote:And the chaff he's spewing about me about putting MGM after no lynch, that is also a misrepresentation.
No, that was based on the fact that you have different views of the implication of putting someone after No Lynch.
Skruffs wrote:Unless you think LML is just shooting from the hip and just not paying attention, in which case, it Might be considered
misunderstanding
, but I do not understand why you would immediately assume he had no idea what he was saying and doing.

Which do you think it is?
I think it is a different point of view.

I don't like your defensiveness or OMGUS one bit.

Unvote: Oman,
Vote: Skruffs

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”