Pick Your Power: Double Deck (GAME OVER)

Quipla
Quipla
Goon
Quipla
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7000 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:52 am

Post by Quipla »

yeah, I think if kraska stayed in the game town would have got much closer. her slot probably never gets lynched and titus doesn't get vigged which puts more pressure on scum earlier in the game, and probably even another early scum lynch or two given how bus-happy scum seemed to be this game.
kraska77
kraska77
Mafia Scum
kraska77
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7001 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:54 am

Post by kraska77 »

i was somewhat toxic this game and my relentless focus on transcend after the cop was pretty dumb...also i think i played a huge part in undermining titus' reads(altho to be fair her resistance to the maria lynch was pretty bad)
sorry @creature i think i got on ur case a little too much, your reads were actually great
Quipla
Quipla
Goon
Quipla
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7002 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:54 am

Post by Quipla »

I also enjoyed rb's comedic stylings on D1 despite being super spammy
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #7003 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:55 am

Post by Kison »

Which powers did you like/dislike?
Draw card, card spy, & deck rigging are the ones I like most. Fruit allergies I'd like to see given another shot.
Do you think the setup was within the realm of balanced and not favouring one side too heavily?
I think it's hard to really ensure a game like this is fair, but it worked out pretty well.
Would you play in a future version of this setup?
I would.
What new powers/modifiers would you like to see in future versions of this setup?
Maybe something with a post restriction? :lol:
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #7004 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:56 am

Post by Kison »

In post 7001, kraska77 wrote:i was somewhat toxic this game and my relentless focus on transcend after the cop was pretty dumb...also i think i played a huge part in undermining titus' reads(altho to be fair her resistance to the maria lynch was pretty bad)
sorry @creature i think i got on ur case a little too much, your reads were actually great
I was sad when you replaced out. :(
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #7005 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:59 am

Post by MariaR »

I had Titus as my hug buddy hug buddies don't lynch each other Kraska you'd never understand
I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
Vifam
Vifam
Jack of All Trades
Vifam
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7006 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:08 am

Post by Vifam »

In post 6990, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:
In post 6989, Vifam wrote:Oh hey this ended
your random picks ended up being useful

good work
<3
ok
TheWayItEnds
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7007 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:20 am

Post by TheWayItEnds »

Protectives dont really work when the scum team can just choose not to shoot first phase.

Would need 2 doctor phases in a row for scum to even fear a doc.
As the last rays of sunlight fade, one killer chases another through the tangled madness of the city.
A flash of steel announces the presence of his quarry.
The stage is set.
The night explodes.
Transcend
Transcend
Survivor
Transcend
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7008 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:38 am

Post by Transcend »

In post 7001, kraska77 wrote:i was somewhat toxic this game and my relentless focus on transcend after the cop was pretty dumb...also i think i played a huge part in undermining titus' reads(altho to be fair her resistance to the maria lynch was pretty bad)

No worries
Transcend
Transcend
Survivor
Transcend
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7009 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:38 am

Post by Transcend »

Cgratz scum, you deserve it
Transcend
Transcend
Survivor
Transcend
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7010 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:43 am

Post by Transcend »

In post 6987, Quipla wrote:Would you play in a future version of this setup
No
Transcend
Transcend
Survivor
Transcend
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7011 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:45 am

Post by Transcend »

My reads weren't bad, i misread Maria and Vecna to high heavens but i had the rest of the scum in my "not town" pile.

I just exerted about 12% effort this game. Lol.
Vecna
Vecna
Survivor
Vecna
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7012 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:04 am

Post by Vecna »

Yeah matt i was a little disappoint
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7013 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:57 am

Post by Fishythefish »

No objections to PTs being released.

Many thanks to the mod. The game was well designed, with small exceptions you've already noted (48 hour lylo was kinda silly :) ), and the running was perfection. Would play again.

Congratulations to the scum. A very well played game. MVPs for me are Vecna and dreal from the scum, and giga from the town.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first game of mafia in three years, and hope to play with many of you again.

For my part, I'm happy with my game except Day 7. On that day, I had the interesting experience of running out of scumreads. I didn't react well, and ended up allowing 2 of my 3 top townreads to get lynch. I should have pushed more to lynch people I had lesser townreads on, perhaps manufacturing a case to do so. It's one point where my "say exactly what you are thinking, all the time" playstyle falls down.

I'm not sure if the site has changed, or my memory is rose-tinted, but this game had more players than I remember who make no real effort to catch scum and explain that they've done so.

I thought the disablers were boring. Heavy handed compared to roleblocker. Card specific powers - rig, revive - were fun. I thought pre-game that rig was very strong; it essentially meant that the most protown powers could be activated 1/4 of the time, rather than 1/13. That was born out in the game.

Do you think the setup was within the realm of balanced and not favouring one side too heavily?

Yep.

Very yes.

What new powers/modifiers would you like to see in future versions of this setup?

- Card thief: name a card and a player. If the player has the card, steal it. (I think massclaim was really strong here. I'd like it to be more punished!)
- Joker (not fully thought through). There is only one of these in the deck. Play this as any other card, then discard it.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #7014 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:30 am

Post by Dunnstral »

I thought the powers and setup were all fine and you should run it again - agree that maybe daykills aren't needed
Vecna
Vecna
Survivor
Vecna
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7015 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:41 am

Post by Vecna »

In post 6987, Quipla wrote:A little survey for those interested:

I personally loved the powers with deck information (card spy/inventory) & manipulation, and card draw/revive. I totally expected all card revives to be picked by the players in the early-mid draft, which is why we didnt end up drafting them because they were seen as too likely to be gone already for our draft numbers.

Rewarding staying alive longer by having your power grow overtime is really great, allthough the cards could use -some- tweaks I think (more later)

I really would also not remove the deck rigging. Sure its a complicated mechanism that can be abused, but it allows for a lot of creative uses that make this setup a lot of fun - might need some minor tweaks to avoid infinite loops though :). I think the real fun here starts when both town and scum teams have one and then you have to figure out which person above/below you in the draft is stopping you from abusing your awesome plan.

The scum factional kill disabler: The downside of this card will get NEVER activated since town will ofcourse never lynch the person on this suit. Maybe make it apply to any death during spades so that scum has a shot at activating the downside, AND requiring the person to play better to avoid having to out themselves as having the card.

Very hard to judge after this one game. I think number-wise, 18vs 5 is ok....but....A LOT of very strong tools were not utilized this game. Personally I think there are (way?) too many cop cards in this game, and if town had picked more cops + card cops I think this game becomes virtually unwinnable for scum if a few of them come as trumps early. Defences against cops are only in clubs and diamonds, and requires a heavy investment for scum. On the other hand, scum could have made some killer combinations with card cops + vigs to seriously up our killing potential, but even then itll become a race against the clock to eliminate all the cops in time I think and you have a lot more card-cop liabilities.

Scum having strongman on half of all trumps also probably makes way too many other cards a bit on the weak side for town since it makes all bulletproof/docs even less likely to save someone.

The card draw / card revive balance is a bit off. Card revive is a lot better in what it achieves since you can pick the card and person. But card revive has decent other skills (especially the 7-h) while all the card draw cards have have downsides, especially for town.

I personally feel a new deck of 104 cards needs to be used to determine trumps, so that all cards have equal probability of showing up. Card spy and deck rig still put cards on this deck. Deck rigging a card should remove that card from the game after it has become trumps so it cannot be card revived and deck rigged again. After a card has been trump it gets removed from the real deck as well so that Inventory can still be applied to the old deck.

Deck rigging and Deck vetoes should probably switch suits/ranks. Deck rigging is too strong to be 25% activation. Deck vetoes is too weak to be 1/13 activation. The other way around probably works perfectly.

Yes. Can we start tomorrow? Pretty please? How about next week? No? :cry:

Maybe make a few(!) cards that are active at all times. For example: All your other rank abilities also activate when a rank one "cardrank" higher is trump (for example: 8 cards activate on an 8 or 9). Downside attached of permanent fruit allergy.

Some other interesting abilities could be thought off im sure that can boost your other cards, and come with a very big downside - that can also make fruit allergy/vendors interesting to pick.

Allowing people to get creative with cardbuilds increases the fun for mechanics-nerds, but might make the game too complicated for some others however (and might be hard to balance properly).
Vecna
Vecna
Survivor
Vecna
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7016 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:44 am

Post by Vecna »

Actually cancel my point about card-rigging being bette as a rank power. That would completely ruin the card since you have just as high odds of just activating the cost that way without havin to sacrefise a card. Also card vetoes were fine since they had other very strong abilities attached.
MariaR
MariaR
Alternatively,
MariaR
Alternatively,
Alternatively,

Post Post #7017 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:51 am

Post by MariaR »

Vecna I have new respect for how much you put into this huge props I honestly loves this scumteam we may have fought a bit but we worked really well as a team imo
I bet Maria is scum this game
~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~
Charloux

MariaR goes for the uwu owo tsundere-dere look but you never know if she has a knife behind her back.~
Bitmap
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7018 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:55 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

I do think we made a really good team as well - it was SO much a team effort and I got a nice feeling of "team" through it all despite my GRRRR at the lot of you (I think kison is the only one I didn't get GRRR at)

and maria and I discussed the issues I had and I understand her a bit better now and that is really nice too
balance among all things
gerryoat
gerryoat
Survivor
gerryoat
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7019 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:01 am

Post by gerryoat »

Would play again, hopefully me being less bad this time
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7020 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

I really like you, gerry, I'm sorry for calling you badtowngerry so much all over the place, it was just to use you as a game-piece and be able to assert my will on others

you are actually decent when you put your mind to it, and it's not like I don't do really badtown stuff with frequency, of course

and you are a liability in lylo but hey, I'm biased from wordplay and I think that is understandable (as are you about me!)
balance among all things
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #7021 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 am

Post by SpyreX »

While im done with mafia for the forseeable future, and thank you scum for killing me when I replaced, i will say that i really like the setup from a mechanical perspective. I think its a good evolution of the pyp concept with enough room for gamification to keep it spicy. Id be interested to see how a targetted suit/card enabler would go. I think it would be a high grab at low draft picks.

As always excellent modding.

Rb carry on the torch you're my secret bff
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
drealmerz7
drealmerz7
Survivor
drealmerz7
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7022 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 am

Post by drealmerz7 »

*hug spyraliensquidface*
balance among all things
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #7023 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:17 am

Post by Kison »

In post 7021, SpyreX wrote:While im done with mafia for the forseeable future
Are you trying to make me sad? Because you are. :(
Maxous
Maxous
Mafia Scum
Maxous
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7024 (ISO) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:38 am

Post by Maxous »

MariaR ~ Dead thread wrote:
In post 6697, Maxous wrote:Because I feel like Maria was pretty shitty to him and I don't think she would of treated a buddy like that...unless they REALLY don't like each-other in the PT.
LOL KISON LUV DREALS BITCHING BECAME USEFUL
oh, just got round to this

*sigh*

i guess that's pretty funny in retrospect.
it was the single biggest reason i townread him and all

Spoiler:
:facepalm:
"
And before anyone bitches about me highlighting PoD's 437 when I replaced in and called everyone on my wagon communists, I remind you that communism is not alignment-indicative
" - Belisarius

wiki (actually) updated

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”