Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #5875 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:25 am

Post by Nahdia »

i dunno. i realize it's one of those things that's difficult to enforce. just have the make the point basically IMMEDIATELY that playing with IC randomized pairs is actually optimal and hope people will go along with it. if not then there's not much you can do I suppose.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5876 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:29 am

Post by Kagami »

Keep in mind, it's probably optimal to have the IC randomly assign pairs, no lynch day 1, then randomly lynch if the mod lets you cheat out a system of provable randomness.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5877 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:30 am

Post by Kagami »

It's just that no one will ever allow you to execute that, because people are playing not just to win.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5878 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:35 am

Post by Kagami »

I guess you'd just have to ask everyone if they have some strong attachment to a specific player, require some kind of evidence of that, and just work that into your pairs decision.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #5879 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:39 am

Post by Nahdia »

In post 5877, Kagami wrote:It's just that no one will ever allow you to execute that, because people are playing not just to win.
Yeah I mean, there is a certain point where we can be like "ok yes optimal moves are this but honestly it's a game can we just be cool and have fun people ffs"

but i think IC enforcing randomized pairings isn't too much of a transgression on that.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5880 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:30 am

Post by Kagami »

I think you'd have to allow for non-randomness. Have people banter for a bit and make the decision of how the pairings will be in a way that no town-aligned player will have a reason to be upset about (other than possibly the one left out).
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5881 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:23 am

Post by Regfan »

Kagami, I hope your wasn't you being entirely serious, Mhmsmiths assessment of the game is very much closer to accurate. There was never a real serious attempt at actually making cases and hoping a lynch goes through - it's a large game, lynches in these games are never meant to be easy regardless of the mechanic involved in it and in the early day phases if scum aren't going to vote a partner and you shouldn't have pair selfvoting getting 9/12 votes isn't impossible plus like a normal game scum do vote their partners. Something to really keep in mind here is you guys finished a 16 player game in just under a month, that's almost unheard of so there's no way with a straight face you can tell me that you genuinely tried to get those 6-7 pairs lynched before their suicides. I think everyones just come into the game with the wrong impression of how to handle the setup and it's the reason why something that should be town sided has led to mafia wins.
In post 5867, Ser Arthur Dayne wrote:Wow hi regfan I haven't seen you around in ages! How's everything been?
I'm good! And yeah it's been a little while since I've played, getting back into the swing of the game soon hopefully. Nice to see you're still playing, should try and get a Weteroes game going at some point in the future. Congrats on the win again, you did play it very well.
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5882 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:28 am

Post by Regfan »

As for the IC enforcement, I think at bare minimum the IC randoms a player not to be paired with someone, the explanation behind the gain in this needs to be clearly stated early on (18.75% chance to remove scum) and if anyone pairs themselves with the player that's not meant to be involved you treat it as a hard scum claim and state if it occurs that person gets lynched within 9 posts, this means anyone doing such would be playing against their win condition to go against the IC here.

As for having the IC random the pairs, yes harder to enforce given that if a bunch of people don't listen to it you're going to have to consider either wasting a lot of lynches going through them or all or just leave it be. I'd personally be hoping that people understand the reasoning and gain behind the action and just listen to the IC but I'd probably judge their alignment based on their reasoning/reaction/genuineness of their action there.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5883 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Post by Kagami »

In post 5881, Regfan wrote:Something to really keep in mind here is you guys finished a 16 player game in just under a month, that's almost unheard of so there's no way with a straight face you can tell me that you genuinely tried to get those 6-7 pairs lynched before their suicides.
Given scum win with 2 pairs alive at endgame, what was the game's maximum length?
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5884 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Post by Regfan »

In post 5883, Kagami wrote:Given scum win with 2 pairs alive at endgame, what was the game's maximum length?
58 days so town used just about half of their allotted time only with lots of that being the lylo dragged down to deadline which means the earlier deaths all occurred in a very short period of time compared to what was allowed.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5885 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Post by Kagami »

8 pairs, 2 live => 5 lynches + 1 NK => 8 x 5days + 2 days => 42 days excluding pre-dance.

Vedith suicided 5 days early, pie suicided 3 days early, everything else was very near deadline, yielding a 32 day game.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #5886 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:05 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 5761, Parama wrote:oh yeah and cerb your gambit was literally insane
What gambit? There were no gambits.

There was merely me not having the time to play this game properly, and trying to throw in some tiny nudges to make it so there was at least some chance a positive effect could come from it.

@mhsmith: I'm not sure what you're referring to about playing towards scum wincon?
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #5887 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:15 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Read the scum pt. Pretty boring actually. Much disappoint.

:(
Shadow_step
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5888 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:20 am

Post by Shadow_step »

In post 5887, Cerberus v666 wrote:Read the scum pt. Pretty boring actually. Much disappoint.

+1
Show
The shadows betray you, because they serve me.

"Chrim and Shadow_step town MVPs. There was a point at the game I was legitimately in fear." ~Zach

"I'm mightily impressed by Shadow's ability to find town PR's, by the way. He was the one directing the first two nightkills." ~Michel
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #5889 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:21 am

Post by Human Sequencer »

In post 5888, Shadow_step wrote:
In post 5887, Cerberus v666 wrote:Read the scum pt. Pretty boring actually. Much disappoint.

+1
+2
nah
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #5890 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:41 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Also, I realized the *only* people who I wanted lynched at any point were all in scum pairs.

That's unfortunate. Believe I expressed suspicon on Dunn and Kagami separately, Parama early then HS later. I don't think I ever said anything about SAD/scout though.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #5891 (ISO) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:52 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

To nominate this game and any players or mods in it, please see the Scummies nomination thread.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5892 (ISO) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:02 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

Alas, there does not seem to be a Scummy for "most savage fight between lovers" :P
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #5893 (ISO) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:01 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”