Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5825 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Post by Kagami »

I actually thought the game would be over by christmas when I signed up, and the rule change hurt me quite a bit, but I can see how this is probably much easier in general.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5826 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 5824, Nahdia wrote:
In post 5813, Shadow_step wrote:Sucking up to players for no reason is not my playstyle. I made a pretty decent case on Kagami scum which nobody listened to. I think I said it in my lover PT too that one of Dunn/Kagami is def scum so it didn't matter.
I said SAD is just scum who doesn't want to catch up and hence is complaining about the hyperposting.

Nahdia what did you do with your charisma? Fuck all
Charisma is leagues more important than consistently accurate reads, silly.
Charisma is super important as scum, without a doubt.

As town both are important. Finding scum and leading lynches on scum are both important town skills; if your reads are good but you can't get anyone to listen to you, that's not nearly as bad as if your reads are trash but you proudly lead town right off a cliff, but it's still an area of improvement.

@Shadow: I do think that you need to figure out how to better connect to your teammates as town. Your reads were good, but your communication of your reads was poor, and your willingness to just wave the white flag wasn't good either. Sometimes when your back is up against the wall you just have to fight it. Even when it's hard. Even when you know you're going to lose anyway.
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #5827 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Well how do you suggest we improve our charisma then, because I don't see advice, I see whining.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Shadow_step
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5828 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:54 pm

Post by Shadow_step »

lol true ^

and please don't tell me stuff like you're supposed to nice. If you're playing awful I'll call you on it. There is no two ways to that.
Show
The shadows betray you, because they serve me.

"Chrim and Shadow_step town MVPs. There was a point at the game I was legitimately in fear." ~Zach

"I'm mightily impressed by Shadow's ability to find town PR's, by the way. He was the one directing the first two nightkills." ~Michel
Shadow_step
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5829 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Post by Shadow_step »

Mh I didn't really wave the white flag until there were like 3 days left to deadline and I was sure no other lynch was happening.
I don't know how am I supposed to interact with people better when they don't want to respond at all? A prime example is Kagami, she didn't want to respond at all. I continuously pointed that out, nobody took an issue with it.
Show

"Chrim and Shadow_step town MVPs. There was a point at the game I was legitimately in fear." ~Zach

"I'm mightily impressed by Shadow's ability to find town PR's, by the way. He was the one directing the first two nightkills." ~Michel
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #5830 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Post by Nahdia »

In post 5827, Gamma Emerald wrote:Well how do you suggest we improve our charisma then, because I don't see advice, I see whining.
You could try pretending you're scum in every single game you play. That's what I did when I first started playing mafia back on EM.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5831 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

Personally I think that empathy is more important than charisma. I'd be lying if I said I was good at either though, so *shrugs*

@Shadow: there were a couple points where you gave up on a back and forth; I recall at least one instance when you were under fire and I asked you a substantive question and you basically replied with a "eh fuck it" kind of answer. One really important thing to do, especially as town, is to engage with people who are suspecting you and be open about your thought process, and take the time to understand what people are saying and asking, and respond to them. One reason i tend to struggle as scum is that I'm VERY good at doing this as town (I'm virtually unlynchable as town, with a mislynch rate of under 5% per town game), but i care more about playing in a pro-town manner generally and how well I do as town compared to how well I do as scum, so this doesn't much bother me for the most part.
Show
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5832 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:06 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 5830, Nahdia wrote:
In post 5827, Gamma Emerald wrote:Well how do you suggest we improve our charisma then, because I don't see advice, I see whining.
You could try pretending you're scum in every single game you play. That's what I did when I first started playing mafia back on EM.
How does that help charisma?
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5833 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

BTW I stuck my call for help in the hydra academy topic if any of you want to teach me.
<Embrace The Void>

mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5834 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

@Shadow: Sometimes certain people won't engage with you, but when that happens you work to substantively engage with others. If you're left in a situation where no one at all will substantively engage with you, that's a different story, but I didn't think that was a board-wide problem with you, although since you were the one being wagoned i could certainly be wrong/misremembering. My recollection of our back and forth was that you were more cutting off discussion than i was, for instance, though again it's been weeks since your pair's death so again I could easily be wrong here.
Show
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #5835 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Post by FakeGod »

Scum PT added.
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #5836 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Post by Nahdia »

In post 5832, Gamma Emerald wrote:
In post 5830, Nahdia wrote:
How does that help charisma?
Teaches you to look closely at what people are saying in response to you. When you're scum, you're not just reading people to try to figure out their alignment, you're reading them to see how exactly they react to the things you say. If you do this consistently, you start to learn what works and what doesn't. And eventually, you learn how to adapt to different player lists & different specific individuals.

This is more for learning how not to get lynched, which is something I prioritize in my own play probably too much, but I'm would imagine it can be applied to trying to convince people of the things you're saying too.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #5837 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Post by Andrius »

Subject: Human Sequencer - Parama PT
Parama wrote:I try to avoid taking games too seriously because at the end of the day it's a dumb game and seeing these people who are only playing to boost their own ego and don't care about if anyone else is having fun are just depressing

like get over yourself, christ
Bro I can help u with this.
Sometimes you just gotta let loose embrace the fun.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5838 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Post by Parama »

shadow stop being a complete goddamn prick for once and instead of crapping on players maybe analyze the fact that your play was actually pretty crap and your personality is absolutely abysmal, i hated playing with you and i'd wotc you any day of the week
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
The_Jester
The_Jester
Mafia Scum
The_Jester
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5839 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Post by The_Jester »

In post 5753, Parama wrote:@The_Jester why were you still in this game though you should've replaced out for serious
I did try to replace out but nobody wanted to replace in and Mod asked me to stay.

Please don't solely blame me for this loss. While I admit I fell behind and didn't have time nor motivation to get fully back, my reads were mostly correct. I was right about Kagami, HS, Mini, Vedith, Maria and Shadow, Cerb (after my initial doubts) and even Gamma whom voting for I've abstained. I did screw up with smith/pie but at this point paranoia kicked in and it didn't help they scrutinized me so much. I think people put too much weight on activity (worth noting I was more active in our pt with Mini which also counts as part of the game). And yes, I may have not been that useful in leading town the correct path but it was partly due to people discrediting me early on (Parama, HS) and others ignoring me later on due to confirmation bias.
Why'd the clown drive over the cup?
He wanted to crack him up!
inspectorscout
inspectorscout
Mafia Scum
inspectorscout
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5840 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Post by inspectorscout »

I'm sorry.
But I know,
At the end...
Remind me of the fool I really am.

Am Zaphkael now.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #5841 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 5840, inspectorscout wrote:I'm sorry.
Mistakes were made by many. Learn, improve, grow. That's what matters.
Show
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #5842 (ISO) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:35 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 5839, The_Jester wrote:
In post 5753, Parama wrote:@The_Jester why were you still in this game though you should've replaced out for serious
I did try to replace out but nobody wanted to replace in and Mod asked me to stay.

Please don't solely blame me for this loss. While I admit I fell behind and didn't have time nor motivation to get fully back, my reads were mostly correct. I was right about Kagami, HS, Mini, Vedith, Maria and Shadow, Cerb (after my initial doubts) and even Gamma whom voting for I've abstained. I did screw up with smith/pie but at this point paranoia kicked in and it didn't help they scrutinized me so much. I think people put too much weight on activity (worth noting I was more active in our pt with Mini which also counts as part of the game). And yes, I may have not been that useful in leading town the correct path but it was partly due to people discrediting me early on (Parama, HS) and others ignoring me later on due to confirmation bias.
I considered it, actually.
I was following the game but I really needed to focus on graduating and not read a 200pg game.
Also Maria and Parama might have been dead at that point so sad days.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5843 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:18 am

Post by Kagami »

Re: regfan post

#3 isn't as clearcut as you're making it seem, because execution is indeed an issue. The logic that pie's pair, from her perspective, was unlikely to contain scum so suicide is never the answer has the corollary that you shouldn't vote your own pair either. Because the game is always in evens and scum isn't going to self-vote for you, it takes an overwhelming majority of the other players to vote a pair to achieve a lynch. This is exacerbated by the fact that scum win when there's no lynch.

In the situation where pie suicided, with 8 players alive, it would take a unanimous town-vote to actually lynch SAD or Dunn without suicide or self-voting. While in a world of EVs or allowing confirmable randomness, that kind of cohesion is possible, in practice if you can get so many town-aligned players to vote in the same place, you're probably going to win anyway.
Kagami
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Kagami
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5844 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:21 am

Post by Kagami »

I agree that IC should set up the pairs, but I don't think that would have worked out so cleanly. Lots of people want to pair with specific other people.
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5845 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:32 am

Post by Regfan »

In post 5843, Kagami wrote:Re: regfan post

#3 isn't as clearcut as you're making it seem, because execution is indeed an issue. The logic that pie's pair, from her perspective, was unlikely to contain scum so suicide is never the answer has the corollary that you shouldn't vote your own pair either. Because the game is always in evens and scum isn't going to self-vote for you, it takes an overwhelming majority of the other players to vote a pair to achieve a lynch. This is exacerbated by the fact that scum win when there's no lynch.

In the situation where pie suicided, with 8 players alive, it would take a unanimous town-vote to actually lynch SAD or Dunn without suicide or self-voting. While in a world of EVs or allowing confirmable randomness, that kind of cohesion is possible, in practice if you can get so many town-aligned players to vote in the same place, you're probably going to win anyway.
It really is that simple though, people should never be instantly suiciding, it actually provides minimal information to the town while having a very high likelihood of resulting in a T-T death. You're much better of trying to get a lynch go through first, if you notice that there's some serious resistance for a particular pair receiving votes and notice that there's not a great deal of logic presented by the players refraining from voting then sure there's a higher chance that pair is scum. And if it comes to the point where a lynch on the slot is completely impossible due to lack of cohesion then suicide is a potential consideration but at least then you have a lot of alignment indicative tells from how players are acting with their votes or lack of votes upon the flip. Basing everything on "I want this pair to suicide now, X pair suicides" minimiilaises the alignment indicative tells in the thread while assisting the scum in doing the dirty work for them.

If town play this early/middle game strictly like a normal mafia game with no talk of suicide or T-T pair hunting town win this almost every time, I explained it to Pie earlier but consider the following;

Do you gain more information from a T-T pair suicide or being lynched? The answer is clearly the latter.
Do you gain more information from a T-S pair suicide or being lynched? The answer again is the latter.

That means it's never optimal to just flat out suicide, a lynch should at least be attempted first.
Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5846 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:35 am

Post by Regfan »

In post 5844, Kagami wrote:I agree that IC should set up the pairs, but I don't think that would have worked out so cleanly. Lots of people want to pair with specific other people.
Sure, people may not get to be paired with the specific player they want but in my eyes that's a worthwhile trade for the potential of getting a S-S pairing in the game that scum don't want. I'd have been willing to compromise with the IC just randomising a particular player NOT to be paired and just take the 18.75% chance of scum being eliminated at game start though.
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #5847 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:00 am

Post by Human Sequencer »

In post 5788, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 1947, Human Sequencer wrote:
mhsmith-pie
needs to be closely scrutinized but it definitely doesn't need to be today when we have
shadowmariar
jestermds
and
vedithgamma
all very helpful and informative lynch targets which are all likely to hit scum and every single pair can't be classified as t-t by a longshot.
Dunn's incredible lust to point the wagon literally anywhere else is concerning.

I really think (and parma agrees) that this DP is dragging on without flips. Namely shadow.
Favorite post
:<

it was nice of smith and kagami to defend me of shadow's accusations, but i think they're important accusations to make and they don't come unfounded. i would probably have a bit of a chip on my shoulder if somebody treated me as i did to him in this game.

i'm sorry i fucked you over, shadow. i hope you don't hold a grudge against me, because i don't hate you at all. we had some good synergy in mini 1848, let's try and carry that on into the future.

this was really my first game against a semi-competent scumteam, and it really shows. you all played far above what i've ever experienced before, which is both humbling and refreshing. knowing that there are players operating on this level inspires me to reach a new level of play myself.

i don't think i ever would have caught dunn this game, regardless of my play d1. i'm somewhat ashamed parama was so readily able to run circles around me for so long, and i'm similarly ashamed of how horrible my reads were d1. i'm a work in progress, so please don't judge too harshly, ok?
nah
Shadow_step
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Shadow_step
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5848 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:05 am

Post by Shadow_step »

In post 5838, Parama wrote:shadow stop being a complete goddamn prick for once and instead of crapping on players maybe analyze the fact that your play was actually pretty crap and your
personality is absolutely abysmal
, i hated playing with you and i'd wotc you any day of the week
Not anything like this at all, you're worse for making it personal FTR.
Show

Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #5849 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:06 am

Post by Human Sequencer »

also, i haven't read any pts or stuff yet, any recommendations?
nah

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”