BooneyToonz XII: Corporate Boontrigue (Game Over!!!)

Asuka
Asuka
Townie
Asuka
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2225 (ISO) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Post by Asuka »

I'm not saying scum played flawlessly or that town didn't win this off dayplay, but in a large game with two strongmans there is literally no reason to think there would be no protective roles like a doctor. Why do you think scum would think those roles are squishy? Doctor is an iconic role and BP is generally regarded as a niche role. "Scum have a strongman" I don't think leads to "thru setup spec, town has no doctors" makes any sense. In that sense, no, "town rolecop" is not a "squishy" role.
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion
Pronoun: He or She. Idc.

Post Post #2226 (ISO) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:09 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

In post 2224, the worst wrote:Vigilantes and rolecops are squishy....
Not when they got doctors.

Bah. This is why Open Setups are best. The aftermath doesn't devolve into retroactive balancing.
Liger_Zero
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2227 (ISO) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:20 pm

Post by Liger_Zero »

I don't think it would be useful to argue about the setup with the mods here. I don't believe they want to hear feedback on it. I will say personally didn't like it but don't really think the setup caused scum lose in this situation (though it did play a factor in just process of elimination of roles and clears) but if you played this setup more than once it would probably always end in a town win more than 90% of the time it was run.
Liger_Zero
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2228 (ISO) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:22 pm

Post by Liger_Zero »

Skitter you played exceptionally well, I was really hoping you had gotten apathetic and lurked out. Xtoxm I also underestimated and thought would be easier to manipulate. Was fun playing with you both.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2229 (ISO) » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:07 pm

Post by the worst »

Thanks, Liger. Sorry that you didn't enjoy the setup.

I'm comfortable with feedback and think the suggested tweaks make a lot of sense; just want folks to know that we did the things we did setup-wise for a reason.
I agree this wasn't won mechanically, and that was the comment which irked me. :P
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #2230 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:18 am

Post by skitter30 »

In post 2228, Liger_Zero wrote:Skitter you played exceptionally well, I was really hoping you had gotten apathetic and lurked out. Xtoxm I also underestimated and thought would be easier to manipulate. Was fun playing with you both.
Wasnt apathetic, i just tend to be very indecisive and it takes me a while to actually cast a vote that i know could be game-ending, even if i'm p confident that its right

This was my first time in lylo in like months!
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2231 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:41 am

Post by popsofctown »

After looking at the setup as the whole (which required me to go through both mod isos, eugh), I found it pretty questionable.

If I was making tweaks, I would suggest informed modifiers on the scums letting them know there are two fully bulletproof players they need to deal with. If the cornerstone of the balance of this setup is the strongman kills being given to the scum implying that they need to counter town resiliency, it shouldn't do any harm to make that more explicit. If I wanted to discover what the moderator had in store for me more gradually by testing out my powers I'd probably be in a D&D forum right now.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2232 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:56 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

I’ll update this to the BT archive soon.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2233 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:58 pm

Post by Flavor Leaf »

BooneyToonz Discussion if you have any questions or thoughts for the BooneyToonz series, or if you’d like to mod a BooneyToonz.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2234 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:07 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 2231, popsofctown wrote:After looking at the setup as the whole (which required me to go through both mod isos, eugh), I found it pretty questionable.

If I was making tweaks, I would suggest informed modifiers on the scums letting them know there are two fully bulletproof players they need to deal with. If the cornerstone of the balance of this setup is the strongman kills being given to the scum implying that they need to counter town resiliency, it shouldn't do any harm to make that more explicit. If I wanted to discover what the moderator had in store for me more gradually by testing out my powers I'd probably be in a D&D forum right now.
:lol:
I don't mind this feedback at all. :) thanks.
--
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #2235 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Post by Creature »

Being informed about two BPs isn't very enough though. Specially when scum has to first kill immediate PR threats before killing the BPs and the strongmans need to survive long for that.

Still, as you can see, even if scum hit PRs every night, they still can't get rid of them all before LyLo.
Sigh
Liger_Zero
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2236 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Post by Liger_Zero »

For reference, nearly 3/4 of the town was a power role. So us shooting blindly we would have hit town power role almost every-time. The setup demands mislynching power roles, the role cops messing up actions, us using strongman on bulletproofs (and even then, universal backup could take its spot), you have to also consider we have to prioritize killing the people who can check us or the bulletproofs because and if going for rolecops we had to know for certainty there wasn't some other protective that could stop our kills which we assumed wrongly. Because from our standpoint this game was so slanted that wasn't even out of the realm of possibility. Also don't have a strongman get lynched because otherwise you have players you definitely can never kill.

also I very much regret that I didn't push harder in the night to switch our kill onto skitter like I wanted us to do for night 2. I thought Blake would have been more likely to shoot more town players for us than risk it for us and that her being vigilante was only a small threat for her shooting me and maybe we could have mislynched. Though looking back now, I am not sure I could have pulled that off since every move I made after Titus lynch didn't pan out or was poorly executed.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2237 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:29 pm

Post by the worst »

Yeah definitely. This setup necessitates dayplay but I don't think any BooneyToonz game ever has been role lite.
--
Liger_Zero
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2238 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Post by Liger_Zero »

I don't think you get the point I am making that we were forced into situations in which we had to go certain routes that left us weaker as a whole. Like when I say "this wasn't really a mechanical win" I am not saying mechanics played no part. The mechanics played an enormous part in who ended up in LYLO and if the game wasn't designed in the way it was, the playerlist at LYLO would have been pretty different, which would have affected the game state more.

We didn't have options to do strategic killings. We had to continually play catchup, and then at the end town got it together and won but everything beforehand says they shouldn't and a large part of why they were able to do it was because of how setup designed forced scum to do certain actions.

Does that make sense? I am not sure I am making that clear. I don't mind that the setup favored town. I mind that the design of this setup was trying to force us to behave in a certain path when we should have had a bit of freedom.
Liger_Zero
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2239 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:39 pm

Post by Liger_Zero »

For instance I wanted to break up the Ausuka/SKitter block, but there was no real way to do that in the game, but I also never had the option to night kill them because I had to get rid of role-cops.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2240 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:52 pm

Post by the worst »

I get the point you're making; this conversation is a rabbit hole. we could go back and forth on this for ever. you guys killed the even night rolecop on an odd night and vice versa; i agreed with your preference to kill skitter earlier in the game and have no idea why the vig had to die when her reads were poor, etc., etc., etc.

there was a lost kill potential from suboptimal kills there.

like i appreciate the point you're making but also need it to be noted that your nightkills were generally not optimal (even outside of the semi-uninformed strongman argument), so the case that it was impossible for you to remove strong dayplay from the game isn't strictly true

i still very much appreciate what you're saying, though. fwiw i strongly prefer setups with less reliance on power roles. booneytoonz games are very consistently far away from that. some critique on this setup is fair but this isn't a situation of "scum played brilliantly and lost due to a setup"; it's "scum played ok in a townsided setup and town won via dayplay". it's harsh, but i need to be honest to respond to your feedback in a meaningful way. i feel like #2237 was more of a cop-out answer than you were looking for.
--
Liger_Zero
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Liger_Zero
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2241 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:56 pm

Post by Liger_Zero »

I just wanted to ensure you understood what I meant, I didn't think you did at first. Not trying to beat a dead horse here honestly. Just wanted us all on the same page. I appreciate you listening because I was honestly not expecting you to after I saw the initial posts in post game so when you responded to me I didn't want you to take me the wrong way.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2242 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:33 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I wouldn't have played as jestery day 1 as I did if I drew PR, I don't think. So the scum can maybe bear some criticism for adding 1 more power role to the setup than the mods did since "mislynch anybody but the chicken running around with his head cut off" was a pretty reliable algorithm for hitting a PR.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2243 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Post by the worst »

Yeah for sure. Sorry for brushing you off a little before; I figured I'd sound like a downright prick if I came in with the "sub-optimal nightkills" argument if you just needed to let off some steam, didn't totally register that you were looking for a more detailed answer.

I think we are on the same page. I do definitely appreciate the constructive feedback from you some others have provided.
--
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #2244 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

In post 2242, popsofctown wrote:I wouldn't have played as jestery day 1 as I did if I drew PR, I don't think. So the scum can maybe bear some criticism for adding 1 more power role to the setup than the mods did since "mislynch anybody but the chicken running around with his head cut off" was a pretty reliable algorithm for hitting a PR.
so you did that to yourself intentionally? interesting
i have a theory that a vt volunteering for the d1 lynch in these games so the town prs can all get into action would be good for town
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #2245 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:25 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

In post 2238, Liger_Zero wrote:I don't think you get the point I am making that we were forced into situations in which we had to go certain routes that left us weaker as a whole. Like when I say "this wasn't really a mechanical win" I am not saying mechanics played no part. The mechanics played an enormous part in who ended up in LYLO and if the game wasn't designed in the way it was, the playerlist at LYLO would have been pretty different, which would have affected the game state more.

We didn't have options to do strategic killings. We had to continually play catchup, and then at the end town got it together and won but everything beforehand says they shouldn't and a large part of why they were able to do it was because of how setup designed forced scum to do certain actions.

Does that make sense? I am not sure I am making that clear. I don't mind that the setup favored town. I mind that the design of this setup was trying to force us to behave in a certain path when we should have had a bit of freedom.
i felt exactly the same way in BTE fwiw. almost every kill was out of necessity. it's a mechanical battle to get yourselves to lylo without the game being solved.
i think you could have delayed/forgone the jesus kill here. his reads were bad, and there were 2 scum he couldnt get a useful result on.
i was kinda surprised that the people who sr me kept dying.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Asuka
Asuka
Townie
Asuka
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2246 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:26 pm

Post by Asuka »

In post 2242, popsofctown wrote:I wouldn't have played as jestery day 1 as I did if I drew PR, I don't think. So the scum can maybe bear some criticism for adding 1 more power role to the setup than the mods did since "mislynch anybody but the chicken running around with his head cut off" was a pretty reliable algorithm for hitting a PR.
There was only one scum on your wagon, though. You were pretty much exclusively lynched by town.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #2247 (ISO) » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:46 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

(although that said, you guys
did
get it to lylo with still a shot at winning, so gj on that)
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2248 (ISO) » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:54 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Scum topic is now open.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”