Reasonably Rational
Reasonably Rational
Mafia Scum
Reasonably Rational
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9550 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:19 pm

Post by Reasonably Rational »

That last post reads way harsher than I meant it, SS. Love ya and appreciate ya. If I thought the setup had unfairly cost us, I would say so.
This is more an observation of a possible defect. Having the possibility to have several mech town clears because of using an action is way too swingy. Add in that this setup also featured masons, an unsilenceable IC, and two town killing powers, one of which is unblockable. That’s a tough road to hoe even if the scum team are all active and willing to work on the same page, and we didn’t have anything resembling that.

~D
Show
"We'll see who is bad at mafia after I've lynched you." - RadiantCowbells

"Reasonably Rational was bubbled on Day 2. They were Lapis Lazuli, aligned with The Crystal Gems"(town) - Varsoon

A hydra of Drixx and Cerberus v666
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9551 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:41 pm

Post by Krazy »

Maki and Kaito, Mafia Jack-of-All-Trades (Rolecop, Alien, Neighbouriser), lynched day one.
Bitmap, Mafia Jack-of-All-Trades (Rolecop, Alien, Neighbouriser), lynched day two.
Reasonably Rational (hydra of Cerberus v666 and Drixx), Mafia 1-Shot Bulletproof Ascetic Universal Backup turned Jack-of-All-Trades (Rolecop, Alien, Neighbouriser), lynched day six.
AaronFrost, Mafia Ninja, lynched day four.

Pine, Town Ascetic Enabler Ninja Vanilla Cop, survived.
Hectic, Town Jack-of-All-Trades (Rolecop, Tracker, Neighbouriser), survived.
Chemist1422, Town Jack-of-All-Trades (Rolecop, Voyeur, Neighbouriser), lynched day three.
Espeonage, Town Ascetic Compulsive Disloyal Friendly Neighbor, survived.
Ankamius, Town Jack-of-All-Trades (Rolecop, Watcher, Neighbouriser), survived.
Spiffeh, Town Mason, killed night one.
gobbledygook, Town Mason, killed night five.
Amrun, Town Ascetic Compulsive Complex Friendly Neighbour, killed night three.
TrueSoulEnergy, Town Vengeful, lynched day five.

insomnia rep. Frozen Angel, Vanilla Townie, killed night two.
Flavor Leaf, Vanilla Townie, survived.
OkaPoka, Vanilla Townie, survived.
Sherlock and Watson (hydra of PenguinPower & Krazy), Vanilla Townie, survived.

OTHER SETUP FACTORS
Novice Strongman vig from town stump
Scum stump knows about town's disloyal friendly neighbor

This doesn't look unplayable since scum have a lot of tricks and the ninja.

4 vts is a good base

2 mech town (masons) confirmed to the town stump is strong, but no protectives and they were hunted pretty effectively by Alisae

The vengeful due to normal rules would be IC'd by a rolecop, of which the town had three shots
Amrun has a high chance of landing a FN send on town early if scum are not using the jails early

So from design POV 4 slots are pretty strongly town

Partly here town did misplay a bit (no rolecops on TSE)
Also scum got very unlucky with some night actions (neither friendly neighbor ever claimed visits to scum)

Town's watcher and tracker in theory can maybe confirm? a town action but 'can't' catch the scum kill due to ninja + scum UB

So main problems for scum here were:
-Espeonage seemed very town off dayplay early game, so after Amrun died the ascetic claim became more of an issue for RR
-The heavy swing against scum early game ended up surprisingly turning rolecop/vanilla cop actions into stronger invests than they were designed as

So I think the comment about setup is more to watch for 'snowball' effects. The setup isn't imbalanced on paper; it's very consistent with the design feel "Moriarty" has been going for. That feel works, which is one reason I think there was more expectation that the scum ascetic shouldn't claim since the "hints" power of the design is so strong.

Ultimately there's no way to argue scum didn't have tools for counter-play. Most of town's strongest power was negated (watcher, tracker, disloyal FN) by the setup, but the snowball effect of the lynches + vanilla cop was stronger than expected. But this is something that can happen in any large theme game and it's very hard to anticipate.

Pine's role is interesting as a kind of "rolecop miller" but he played it very much like miller and I think one issue is that lately towns tend to treat millers like ICs.

Ultimately that we ended up lynching the vengeful despite having 3 rolecops is... interesting from a mechanical POV. Strictly speaking TSE's lynch was the one that *should* have been avoidable this game but town ended up not playing it that way and instead of being 'punished' for it was ironically rewarded since the rolecop on Oka actually worked to IC him due to snowball effect.

For the record, even if this is a 'hard' game for scum, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as Jazz Mafia was, by comparison. Scum had significantly more power and counterplay here vs. what feels like softly 'less' town power maybe? That's my immediate guttake anyway
vote conspiracy
Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9552 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:47 pm

Post by Krazy »

Actually I guess there's the question of the power of the three rolecops/vanilla cop on Aaron when Aaron is probably 'inclined' to claim Vanilla to fit into the VT pool but that's something that can come down to order in massclaim and other soft factors, not sure if "town ninja" is a claim that doesn't get lynched here so he probably can't claim it directly
vote conspiracy
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9553 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:58 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

Wow. I was going to meme further on the scum team, but the discord is so sad to read :(
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9554 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:05 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

Basically setup swingy but also with the constraints given you cant make a balanced and unswingy setup
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9555 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:08 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

I don't know what you want the mods to do when Ali requests super op roles. Like town has to be super mega op to counter that. It also just hurt the scum that this town composition strangely had enough "in fighters" willing to compromise and compromised correctly.
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9556 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:09 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

I will say that I don't think I've seen bullying to that extent (in the scum discord) since I was in middle school

rip in peace bitmap
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9557 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:11 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

In post 271, insomnia wrote:GG, now it’s safe to assume you used my death as a reason to fake derp yourself right?

“i though he died cuz he looked like a mason”
---

Yes. :P
Titus and I were able to hide the masonry pretty well after Spiffeh died N1. Hi5, Titus!
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #9558 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:12 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I'd a scum stump just throwing it out there. Then y'all can flame me for talking shit and getting hit.
Don't @ me.
Reasonably Rational
Reasonably Rational
Mafia Scum
Reasonably Rational
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9559 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:17 pm

Just a note: it's the *number* of effects that feels off. Just the vanilla cop, or the complex friendly neighbor, would work, but the pair feels oppressive.

Also, it wasn't our actions that made it probable that scum had no goons; it was the fact that scum got to choose their roles.

Our action made it *certain* that the last scum was not VT, but there was a strong pull towards assuming vanilla=town from D2.

-Cerb
Show

"Reasonably Rational was bubbled on Day 2. They were Lapis Lazuli, aligned with The Crystal Gems"(town) - Varsoon

Reasonably Rational
Reasonably Rational
Mafia Scum
Reasonably Rational
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9560 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:19 pm

In post 9556, gobbledygook wrote:I will say that I don't think I've seen bullying to that extent (in the scum discord) since I was in middle school

rip in peace bitmap
I’m not sure what in particular bothered you, but I don’t recall much being that bad. The worst comments from me, for example, don’t even rise to the level of shit that gets said in main game threads all the time on site. I tend to be very blunt in scum chats.

Of course, I’m not even sure you’re swinging at me with the comment so... but if it wasn’t me I don’t recall anything anyone else said that would have bothered me either.

~D
Show

Krazy
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Krazy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9561 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:23 pm

Post by Krazy »

In post 9559, Reasonably Rational wrote:Just a note: it's the *number* of effects that feels off. Just the vanilla cop, or the complex friendly neighbor, would work, but the pair feels oppressive.

Also, it wasn't our actions that made it probable that scum had no goons; it was the fact that scum got to choose their roles.

Our action made it *certain* that the last scum was not VT, but there was a strong pull towards assuming vanilla=town from D2.

-Cerb
If disliking the stump's picks for scum roles creates a bad gamefeel for scum that might be a thought that maybe scum stump should not be designing scum rolecards in future stump v stump games.

I think that's a valid thought
vote conspiracy
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #9562 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:31 pm

Post by Alisae »

I can get pretty toxic in the scum PT sometimes.
GTKAS
| here.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #9563 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:00 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 9561, Krazy wrote:If disliking the stump's picks for scum roles creates a bad gamefeel for scum that might be a thought that maybe scum stump should not be designing scum rolecards in future stump v stump games.

I think that's a valid thought
I think that the scum treestump should pick eir roles with their team but give them 48 hours max. The team won't get a bad feel then.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9564 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:04 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I really want to have a go at this, ngl.
Don't @ me.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9565 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:04 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

but thats 48 more hours of waiting for thread unlock ;-;
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #9566 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:07 pm

Post by Alisae »

I had my fill of treestump games after AvP, or atleast being the treestump.
tbh I really didn't want to do this challenge but I didn't want to pussy out of a duel.
GTKAS
| here.
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker

Post Post #9567 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:08 pm

Post by Titus »

In post 9565, OkaPoka wrote:but thats 48 more hours of waiting for thread unlock ;-;
You'd be surprised at what things can be done simultaneously. :) Both the scum draft and mason drafts happened at the same time. Ali's just had to finish before my names could resolve.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker

Post Post #9568 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:09 pm

Post by Titus »

If the mods have a moderate power level idea, they can start designing and tinker around the finished product.
Show

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker

Post Post #9569 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:10 pm

Post by Titus »

If Ali had RR's brain in role design/rule design, then e'd be in a better spot imo.
Show

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker

Post Post #9570 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:13 pm

Post by Titus »

I'm glad no one was legit pissed I didn't pick them. I really worried that people would react like RR did.

That's a big reason I WOTCed some people. The drama would be bad.
Show

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #9571 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:15 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 9563, Titus wrote:I think that the scum treestump should pick eir roles with their team but give them 48 hours max. The team won't get a bad feel then.
Then we have to design the entire setup after the game fills...
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #9572 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:15 pm

Post by Alisae »

SS u should rotate ur azelf so that it faces the post
GTKAS
| here.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9573 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:18 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

i mean it was pretty doomed for scum from basically d2

i think every townie had at least two of <bitmap,af,rr> in their PoE even before mechanics kicked in

there isn't much alisae could've done other than hope town just implodes on itself and try and pick up the pieces
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #9574 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:19 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I wanna fight the worst. Ducks v Not Ducks. I ain't afraid.
Don't @ me.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”