Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Fluminator
Best LSG/MishMash Player

Pronoun: He

Post Post #4650  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 12:30 pm

I laughed

Krazy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4651  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 1:10 pm

In post 4650, Zulfy wrote:
In post 4639, Krazy wrote:Still though, I don't see how a narrative where Dany becomes a benevolent monarch was at all possible when all of her experiments in governance in the East were all such complete failures.

Her governance in Dragon's Bay was so successful that the slavers had to attack the city to stop people from seeing the successes of abolitionism.

In the end it was "Oh shit she's too sympathetic, let's make her kick the dog real hard and that'll be the end of that."

yeah I'm talking about after she leaves. in the books at least its clear that it reverts back to slavery basically 20 minutes after she leaves
vote conspiracy

AniX
UCalled

Post Post #4652  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 2:58 pm

In post 4649, pirate mollie wrote:@ ani

fair point! but I don't think Qyburn could have made it out of the city without Cersei. I think that humility and love are not necessarily mutually exclusive from self-interest motivation.

Sure, I just don't see any self-interest in anything he did in the last episode. And I also don't see how getting out of the city is IMPROVED by being with Cersei. Cersei was the person with the biggest target on her back. Qyburn is someone most people probably don't even know what he looks like and certainly aren't going to stop fleeing to apprehend for no reason. Cersei has no specialized knowledge of how to escape the city. Qyburn is the Master of Whispers who, at his peak, had an army of children spies who obeyed his orders (recall his murder of Pycelle). What exactly does escaping with Cersei bring to the table?
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK! PLAYS BY SENSE OF SMELL! ONE TRUE ADMIN OF MAFIASCUM! LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR! RADICAL SEX-NEGATIVE ASEXUAL! KING SCAR APOLOGIST! FOE OF SKIRTS AND DRESSES!

Porochaz
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #4653  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 3:17 pm

That interview with Emilia was very telling.
Scumchat - aimgochatroomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5

Semi Out of Retirement. Limited Time Only. Free Prozac for every Eggnogfas taken!

Chevre
Honourable Mention

Post Post #4654  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 7:47 pm

If winter is coming why is King's Landing so balmy
A scandal has rocked our village of West Covina!

Annadog40 (9:45pm)
If I was Brain surgery, would I be a dog?

Flavor Leaf
Best Third Party

Post Post #4655  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 pm

In post 4631, Nexus wrote:Also, Dany's turn did not come out of nowhere. She has, in the space of this season, lost her closest advisor, Ser Friendzone, her boyfriend, another one of her dragons AND has discovered that she is not going to be loved like she was across the sea.

It was always going to end like this. She is the Mad Queen.

The true villain of the series who was in front of our eyes the entire time.

I really enjoyed the last episode, I think most people just don’t like turning against their favorites, which only makes her heat better. It makes the viewer not actually want her to have the throne even though the majority of the series it was cool for them, and that’s like Tyrion and Jon’s whole concept. They really wanted her to be a good queen, so they feel terrible now, just like the viewer.

Zulfy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4656  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 10:11 pm

She and Drogon were more ruthless and effective against civilians tham the army of the dead.

I dont think people are upset about the whole mad queen conclusion, just that it's brought about in an incredibly lazy way, and the explanation for it is just quacking word for word what DnD said at the end of the episode. (She was stoic when her abusive brother who had just threatened to slice her fetus open got killed, therefore burning millions of people makes sense, etc.)
Chib'ek
Chitz'aqatajik.

chamber
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4657  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 10:20 pm

Spoiler: This contains unaired spoilers
I think Flavor is right but also very wrong. They intentionally made it an unjustified character turn so that she could be the villian. So that when John the hero kills her we can still see him as a hero. But its still bullshit writing.
Taking a break from the site.

Zulfy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4658  (ISO)  » Tue May 14, 2019 10:23 pm

In case you didnt read the heading on that spoiler, thats spoilers for the series finale.
Chib'ek
Chitz'aqatajik.

ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

Post Post #4659  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 12:12 am

i never really liked danny, going back to the books. so no, i didn't like this because she was my favorite.

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #4660  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 5:06 am

In post 4631, Nexus wrote:Also, Dany's turn did not come out of nowhere. She has, in the space of this season, lost her closest advisor, Ser Friendzone, her boyfriend, another one of her dragons AND has discovered that she is not going to be loved like she was across the sea.

It was always going to end like this. She is the Mad Queen.

That's fine, but the way it happened is complete bullshit. She's mad because the show ignored uh...how seeing things works and Jon ignored her wishes told sansa who then did exactly what dany thought she'd do. Those are pretty ineffective reasons to burn a whole city to the ground, especially when literally 10 episodes ago she said "I don't want to be queen of the ashes".

I agree with you, that this is how it was always going to end(too much foreshadowing for it not to be) but that doesn't change the fact that it still feels unearned and rushed.

But it definitely doesn't hold a candle to the complete destruction of Jamie Lannister's character in the span of like..40 minutes.

Edit: to quote someone way smarter than me on the daenyres thing
the ringer wrote:In the chaos of “The Bells,” the show forgot about the empathy that has been as fundamental to Daenerys’s character as her ruthlessness. She isn’t the Breaker of Chains for nothing. Daenerys used to personally save women from being raped by Dothraki warriors. She freed the Unsullied and countless other slaves. She took Yunkai, Astapor, and Meereen with minimal bloodshed, and she succeeded in creating a better world for the people in those cities. She wanted to rule, yes, but the girl who had spent so much of her childhood being bullied and tormented by more powerful men also knew what injustice was.

What Thrones seemed to be setting up for years was a conflict between Daenerys’s compassion and her dogged pursuit of the Iron Throne. What decision would she make when winning the crown required the loss of thousands of innocent lives? Yet this episode didn’t give us that dilemma. When Daenerys chooses to burn King’s Landing, it’s after the people of the city are ringing the bells and the Lannister soldiers have thrown down their weapons.
Last edited by Panzerjager on Wed May 15, 2019 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
UT never wrote me a new sig because he is a lazy bum. This will forever shame him.

Get To Know A Panzer

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #4661  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 5:09 am

Idk, I'm just incredibly disappointed by the last 3 episodes and feel that we've been robbed of some of the best and most emotional scenes in the show while the battles that they ceded time to have been mostly kinda bad tv.
UT never wrote me a new sig because he is a lazy bum. This will forever shame him.

Get To Know A Panzer

ZOR TESTER
Definitely Not
Ur-Quan

Post Post #4662  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 12:25 pm

twitter thread is very good (and basically spoiler free): https://twitter.com/DSilvermint/status/ ... 1261136896

Rhinox
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4663  (ISO)  » Sun May 19, 2019 9:35 pm

Well that was a thing that ended

chamber
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4664  (ISO)  » Sun May 19, 2019 9:58 pm

In post 4578, chamber wrote:I've been disappointed with the whole season. But I also suspect the leak is just made up by someone that got e4 early. I wouldn't put any weight into me or zulfy's comments.

Leaks were right!

Krazy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4665  (ISO)  » Sun May 19, 2019 10:21 pm

Wow who would have thought Edmure Tully would end up being King?
vote conspiracy

Zulfy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4666  (ISO)  » Sun May 19, 2019 10:21 pm

We knew that since episode 5 tho re:leaks
Chib'ek
Chitz'aqatajik.

Zulfy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4667  (ISO)  » Sun May 19, 2019 10:23 pm

The series finale was rushed. That's the takeaway from everything. This episode out of context was pretty good though.
Chib'ek
Chitz'aqatajik.

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4668  (ISO)  » Sun May 19, 2019 11:37 pm

to me it feels like they had the right bullet points and end points

but without the books they had no CLUE how to fill the spots in between A & B so they just sucked in those moments

i bet the books end up largely the same but with tweaks that make it work for the characters

also top 3 characters in the entire show: 1. davos 2. cersei 3. the hound
get to know a reckoner

#EmeraldProud

chamber
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4669  (ISO)  » Sun May 19, 2019 11:39 pm

I think cersei may have suffered more than any other character from the books running out.

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #4670  (ISO)  » Mon May 20, 2019 2:44 am

In post 4668, xRECKONERx wrote:also top 3 characters in the entire show: 1. davos 2. cersei 3. the hound

yeeaaahhh
davos got a little 2d after books ran out but there's a rly spicy stannis cliffhanger at the end of the latest book so I think he's gonna come out even stronger in the books

love the onion knight tho
"I have been grappling with whether giving you a duck is derivative
Or if not giving you a duck is a faux pas
This has been a conundrum"
- Ether (re. choosing my avatar)

ChannelDelibird
Card Czar

Post Post #4671  (ISO)  » Mon May 20, 2019 3:46 am

What a grade-A shitshow.
Fuck Brexit. GTKAS

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #4672  (ISO)  » Mon May 20, 2019 9:40 am

Like most of the recent two seasons, some cool set pieces but ultimately it felt hollow at its core. Bran being king is kinda... fine. But it sorta felt like Malcolm does in Macbeth. The boring epilogue that has little to do with the actual play/show itself as a way of ending it with a sorta high note but little to do with the preceding story.

chamber
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4673  (ISO)  » Mon May 20, 2019 10:08 am

We just spent 8 seasons fighting battles on all fronts over who sits on the throne, and then a counsel just gives it, with little or no thought, and almost no pushback, to someone that's arguably not even human anymore. I think he was possibly the least satisfying choice for king.

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4674  (ISO)  » Mon May 20, 2019 12:09 pm

They subverted my expectations
get to know a reckoner

#EmeraldProud

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion