Survivor Season 38: Edgelords of XXxtinctionxXX

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man

Pronoun: He

Post Post #9025  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 pm

we all lose on this blessed day
get to know a reckoner

#EmeraldProud

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #9026  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Spoiler: current rankings
1. Heroes vs Villains
2. China
3. Micronesia
4. Pearl Islands
5. San Juan del Sur
6. Philippines
7. DvG
8. Tocantins
9. Millennials vs Gen X
10. Kaoh Rong
11. Cambodia
12. Cagayan
13. Borneo
14. Australia
15. Caramoan
16. GI
17. Blood vs Water
18. Marquesas
19. HHH
20. Africa
21. Vanuatu
22. EoE
23. Game Changers
24. South Pacific
25. Fiji
26. All-Stars
27. Redemption Island
28. Nicaragua
29. One World

Spoiler: haven't seen yet
Thailand
The Amazon
Palau
Panama
Guatemala
Gabon
Cook Islands
Samoa
Worlds Apart
get to know a reckoner

#EmeraldProud

Iprobablysuck
Townie

Post Post #9027  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 10:16 pm

well that outcome sucks
Do I REALLY suck? That's up to you to decide.

MariaR
Survivor

Pronoun: She

Post Post #9028  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 10:16 pm

This was a season alright
I bet Maria is scum this game~Firebringer
Na Maria isn't towny enough to be scum this game~ Charloux

Wanna know more about Maria? Click here!

Crazy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9029  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 10:20 pm

Well, that was the biggest WTF in Survivor history. I'm not even mad, it's just crazy that we experienced a season being won by an underedited 3rd boot. I would have been a lot more annoyed by a Devens win. (Not that I dislike him, I just don't want to see winning through repeated idol finds becoming the norm.)
Last edited by Crazy on Wed May 15, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chevre
Honourable Mention

Post Post #9030  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 pm

I think DeasVail and Nancy Drew 39 kind of win?
A scandal has rocked our village of West Covina!

Annadog40 (9:45pm)
If I was Brain surgery, would I be a dog?

Wickedestjr
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9031  (ISO)  » Wed May 15, 2019 10:56 pm

In post 9029, Crazy wrote:Well, that was the biggest WTF in Survivor history. I'm not even mad, it's just crazy that we experienced a season being won by an underedited 3rd boot. I would have been a lot more annoyed by a Devens win. (Not that I dislike him, I just don't want to see winning through repeated idol finds becoming the norm.)

Fluminator
Best LSG/MishMash Player

Post Post #9032  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 1:09 am

It's 100% a win.
Congratulations you two!

lmao
Glad I didn't watch this season.

Cheery Dog
Kayak

Post Post #9033  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 am

That's the result we needed from this stupid twist.
Although Reem winning would obviously have been better.
Life is always what it seems.

Fluminator
Best LSG/MishMash Player

Post Post #9034  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 9:24 am

OK I caved and watched the finale for my first episode. It was actually pretty good.
Too many idols though. Like that was overkill. Getting sick of them.
Chris actually seems like a stellar Survivor player. Why was he voted out the first time? Wikipedia says it's because he told Wardog he wanted Kelley out?
I was expecting him to be a big meme winner but I think he might be as good a player as most of the other winners.

Joe is cringe. We don't want him back Jeff. It's still clear production tried to get Joe to win and just because Chris stole the path Joe was supposed to take, it doesn't make it okay.

Gavin and Julie seemed forgettable. If Gavin maybe showed emotion he would have won.

Kelley always talking about how she's a strong women is irritating. Show, not tell, sister.

Aubry and David still seem cool but they messed up coming back on a mixed returnee season.

Victoria seemed cool, but if you don't have immunity or an idol, it's safe to say any non goat will get sniped at the end.

I can understand why people were getting overdosed on Rick. I was already not okay with him by the time this episode was done. I cringed at his idol find.

Lauren I'll probably forget other than pointlessly giving her idol to the winner.

That's the only episode I'll watch other than maybe Chris's boot episode.
What a laugh though. That did not go how producers wanted.
Chris beating Joe and then Rick in the twists designed to save them must have angered production so much. :D

Nancy Drew 39
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9035  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 2:53 pm

In post 9032, Fluminator wrote:

It's 100% a win.
Congratulations you two!

lmao
Glad I didn't watch this season.

Thing with Nancy is we just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it.

(I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~ the worst

Nancy Drew 39
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9036  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 2:55 pm

In post 9033, Cheery Dog wrote:That's the result we needed from this stupid twist.
Although Reem winning would obviously have been better.

No Keith or one-of the chickens. :lol:

Thing with Nancy is we just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it.

~ the worst

Iprobablysuck
Townie

Post Post #9037  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 5:47 pm

I decided to put every problem I have with this season and twist into one place.

Spoiler:
Rick too visible
Victoria/Gavin/Aurora too INvisible
Chris winning after being the third out and returning 35(?) days in is the exact doomsday scenario people were afraid of, only people were scared of Joe doing it lol
This is a problem with more than just this season but idol guzzling is a huge issue, the game turns into a scavenger hunt and OH SHIT THE THREAT FOUND IT
EOE as a twist seriously breaks the game, a 13 person jury should not be possible
Seriously though who the hell is Eric?
Julie got major fucking robbed dude
In every episode where there was little or no Edge content there was little or no Chris content which, uh
The Wardog was an ass
Wendy out too early ;-;

The returnees flopping and firemaking being the end of Rick are hilarious af though

there's probably more but i'm a lazy boi
Do I REALLY suck? That's up to you to decide.

Fluminator
Best LSG/MishMash Player

Post Post #9038  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 5:58 pm

To play devil's advocate for the edit problems, they had to make Chris a satisfying winner for people.
The only way people would be satisfied with someone winning while only being in the final episode is to have him personally take down the most OTT/shoved down your throat player who is framed to be the survivor god.
As well as they really had to make Gavin look as boring as possible so the audience wouldn't find the decision controversial. Heck, they probably made most of the endgame cast boring because they had to for Chris's sake.

Idol guzzling is a huge issue though. The voting strategy doesn't stop at F4 firemaking. It stops at F5/F6 rounds where it's all down to who scavenged the best throughout the season.
Really the strategy I find interesting is over long before the endgame which used to be the most epic moments of the show. (Remember the days of Panama where they did the loved ones at F5, and there still seemed to be loads of game left in the season to see?)

Fluminator
Best LSG/MishMash Player

Post Post #9039  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 6:16 pm

I was curious to see how many survivor winners had an immunity advantage/idol in the endgame.

Spoiler:
Chris - Idol
Nick - Idols and advantages
Wendell - Idol
Ben - Idol for dayz
Sarah - Legacy Adv.
Adam - Idols
Michele NOTHING. And I remember this being an idol filled season. My respect for Michele's win just went up
Jeremy - Idols
Mike - Idol
Natalie - Idol
Tony - Idols and super idols
Tyson - Idols
Cochran - No idols, but also his season was rigged as bad as this season was for Joe so meh
Denise !!! NO IDOLS
Kim - Idol
Sophie NO PERSONAL IDOL
Rob - Idols for days
And going back further it's less common

So in the last 12 winners, only 1 player didn't have an immunity idol/legacy advantage protect them in the endgame.

T-Bone
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9040  (ISO)  » Thu May 16, 2019 7:02 pm

Chris is a fine winner, it's not his fault that the game gave him a twist where he could spend 20+ days with the jury.
#TeamLizzy (or I will ban you)

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019

Cephrir
Best Social Game

Post Post #9041  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 2:44 am

What a joke
"I would prefer not to."

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #9042  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Hi
I've been watching Survivor from the very beginning for a day or 2 and it's cool seeing the older episodes I've never seen
Get to know an Emerald! Stop by sometime, would you kindly? ♪

"Will you be my ally, or do you long for death?"

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #9043  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 7:51 pm

enjoy! some of the best is yet to come
get to know a reckoner

#EmeraldProud

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #9044  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 7:52 pm

On the jury trial of season 1 and Sue's speech was epic

Nancy Drew 39
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9045  (ISO)  » Fri May 17, 2019 10:35 pm

In post 9044, Gamma Emerald wrote:On the jury trial of season 1 and Sue's speech was epic

~ the worst

Crazy
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9046  (ISO)  » Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 am

This season seems to have faced a lot of criticism, and will probably go down as a very unpopular season, but the more I think about it, I realize I feel good about it overall, and I would not categorize it as one of the handful of seasons that I dislike. The biggest takeaway is that it was simply unconventional in every way, which made it fresh and interesting for me, in contrast to the relative staleness of recent seasons like Game Changers and Ghost Island. So here's a collection of things I appreciated from S38:

-The scenes on the Edge of Extinction were a huge highlight, instead of the dull formula of Redemption Island, EoE was more like a darker Ponderosa series, and provided a level of emotional development to the characters that wasn't particularly present in the actual game this season. Pre-Merge EoE was especially great, and I'd give a special shoutout to Reem for being the face of EoE and one of the breakout characters of the season.

-Speaking of that, I love that the EoE twist had an actual impact on the game. I feel like a lot of people simply wanted the twist to hurry up and go away, but for me, if production is taking a huge risk like this, it's better that it has a big payoff rather than just whimper into nothing. Chris Underwood is the perfect winner for such an unconventional season, and the final showdown between him and Devens was fitting.

-Devens is a great induction into the 4th place "robbed goddesses" category, and I feel much better with him in that role rather than a winning one. A season like this should not have an obvious winner, and I love that the Ben-esque character got the end that Ben should have gotten in HvHvH.

-The editing imbalance seems to be one of the most disliked parts of this season, but for me, I actually found it interesting. We went into the merge with the focus entirely on one group of people, so it was unique seeing new characters like Ron, Aurora, and Julie starting to come into play at the merge. There are very few edits I'd complain about looking at the season as a whole. Gavin had his sweet moment at the loved ones visit, Julia got to have her quick rise to power that ended historically, and I feel Victoria was accurately presented as the smart player in the background pulling all the strings, similar to Sophie Clarke in South Pacific. Eric was the only real dud for me, but even his struggle was given particular focus on the Edge.

-The gameplay this season might have been the most chaotic in the show's hitory. In the long run, I think all people will remember is Devens finding idols, but before that, there was a string of votes where the largest threats were repeatedly voting off and no stable alliances existed whatsoever. I want to say at the Final 8 there were no 2 players that had voted together all season? That is completely insane.

-The fate of the returnees subverted all expectations. Aubry and Joe flopped HARD, and David and Kelley were mercilessly killed in a 1-hour double boot episode. This is so clearly not what production was hoping for, that I just have to take a little joy in the new players holding their own and not letting Ometepe happen.

-The tribe swap was very unique and fun to see play out.

-Three women found idols but none of them were played correctly. I'm not even sure what to think about that, but it's at least pretty ironic given the current discussion about women finding idols.

-One more irony that people forget about: Ron Clark's exit occurred not only right after the loved ones visit, but both the extra vote that he gave back to Aurora and his Advantage Menu came in to play in that Tribal Council.

Two other characters who were huge breakouts for me:

-Wardog completely surpassed my expectations as a Tony clone. His gameplay was erratic but surprisingly strong, and I'd rather see him play again over others in that type such as Domenick or Joe Mena.

-Wendy's spirit was straight-up joyful and inspiring. I loved seeing the Tourettes representation, and I hated seeing her be completely vilified on Reddit for something as absurd as letting the chickens free.

Anyway, that's about it. It's not a perfect season, there could have been more character development for the players actually in the game, and I don't care for the fact that another idol was hidden at the Final 5, even though there was already Chris's idol in play - it's a bit of an overkill, and I don't even think idols should be rehidden that late in the game at all. I also didn't particularly like that the Edge players could give advantages to the players in the game. But that's it for my critiques, and for me, the things I liked outweighed them enough for me to like the season overall.

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #9047  (ISO)  » Sat May 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Oh boy s2e6 and it looks like we have the first medical emergency on Survivor. I swear there's one a season these days.

Fluminator
Best LSG/MishMash Player

Post Post #9048  (ISO)  » Sat May 18, 2019 7:32 pm

http://insidesurvivor.com/cast/survivor-season-40-cast-revealed

Spoiler: Season 40 cast talk don’t open if you’re watching earlier seasons sorry gamma
I'm actually pretty hyped about this. That said, I feel like nitpicking the cast. (More because of my hype than criticism)

Richard - Obviously very sad he couldn't make it in.

Tina - One of only 4 woman winners not to make it in. I'm okay with it, since I feel like her latest performance in BvW gave me a solid update view.

Ethan - There are a lot of guy winners I wanted to see that didn't make it, and Ethan probably wouldn't have been on my list, but he's oldschool enough that I'm still super excited to watch him now that he's on.

Vecepia - One of 4 woman winners not to make it in. A little sad about this one, but I fear she'd be the first boot. I'd probably have had her on in my ideal list.

Brian - Brian would have definitely been on my list, just because he played such a dominant game and never came back. Would be super interested, but there might be too much controversy about him.

Jenna - Another woman winner not making it in. She'd definitely have replaced Amber or maybe Michele on my list since I think she'd be a solid addition.

Sandra - Obviously lol. She's still got a giant target on her back, but now she can blend in a little more.

Amber - Meh. Don't know what she'll have to offer. She'll definitely be buried by the edit.

Chris - I never actually saw this season. He seemed like a solid winner overcoming the female alliance. If he was on I'd be super hype. But I'm not super disappointed he's not on.

Tom - With so many men to choose from, I understand not having Tom on again, since he had another romp on HvV already. Don't know how much more he'd add to the season.

Danni - My first season and first winner I witnessed. Super hyped about her. I remember not long after she won I read somewhere that she'd only come back on an all winner season. Well here she is like 15 years later.

Aras - He already had another romp in BvW so I'm fine he's not on.

Yul - Another player I'm super hyped about. Old(ish) school winners that only went on once are people I'm really interested in seeing again. He played a great game, and will be very interesting to see how he deals in this one.

Earl - See my thing on Yul. I wish to see him again someday, and sad he didn't make it on this season. He's an underrated winner.

Todd - See my thing on Earl. lol. He'd also be on my list.

Parvati - Yeah, of course she'll have to be on.

Bob - He would have gotten eaten alive. Good thing he's not on.

JT - He is so dang entertaining I wouldn't have minded seeing him back on, but since he's already had 2 more retries I'm fine with him being off.

Natalie - Don't think she would have added anything to the season.

Fabio - See Bob. He would have gotten eaten alive.

Rob - Uggh. Fiiiiine. Hope he's the first boot, but yeah, I guess he needs to be on.

Sophie - Hype. She's going to be underrated.

Kim - Super Hype. Lets see how the legend of Kim continues. She'll be one of the higher profile targets.

Denise - Hype again!

Cochran - I am so glad he's not on this season. Might be the most pleasant surprise. I'm still a little salty he was given a rigged(ish) season.

Tyson - I would have been fine not seeing him again. I don't think he's got much new to offer. He's one of the stranger 4 time players.

Tony - Heck Yeah!

Natalia - Heck Yeah! Another underrated winner.

Mike - I would have taken him over many of the male winners below him in this list, but not sure if he'd make my ideal list anyway.

Jeremy - Yep, he's a good player. I will enjoy seeing him play again.

Michele - Sure. I don't think she's that great a player, but she'd be 10th or 11th on my list of female winners returning.

Adam - Meh. Not that interested in him. I do think he played a solid game, but it wasn't a very interesting win, and I don't know how interesting he'll be here.

Sarah - Yes, I'm definitely interested in her play. She was ruthless last game.

Ben - Bleagh. I'm still salty about the twist to save him. But up until the idol run, he was a very interesting player. Fine.

Wendell - Eh, I was in the domeneck camp and not sure if he's thaaat great a player, but he might be interesting still.

Nick - No, I view him like Adam. He's also going to get roasted out there.

Chris U. - I actually really want to see him play in another season again. He seemed like a very solid player. Considering he won and we know nothing about him, it would be interesting to see him play a full season.

My dream winners cast:
Vecepia
Jenna
Sandra
Danni
Parvati
Sophie
Kim
Denise
Natalie A.
Sarah
Richard
Brian
Yul
Earl
Todd
Rob
Tony
Jeremy
JT/Mike/Ethan
Either Chris
Last edited by Fluminator on Sun May 19, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #9049  (ISO)  » Sun May 19, 2019 12:33 am

Aw I just spoiled season 2 and 3 by opening that

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion