PRO WRESTLING THREAD!!!

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
hasdgfas
HoMoo
 
User avatar
Joined: October 02, 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2800  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 pm

In post 2798, Panzerjager wrote:Why are you talking so bad about Jim ross?


I thought Jim Ross was not good at DON. Although not as bad as he was during the Mae Young Classic.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell
 
User avatar
Joined: January 05, 2007
Location: somewhere better than you =*
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2801  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 am

The first myc? I exclusively blame that on him working with Lita.

I thought he was great at points for DoN. And some of the bad stuff he did ,like when smash bros came out, I thought was really funny cause he was like "I actually don't know who these backyarders are, you should tell us excalibur
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

GTKAS

Kublai Khan
Khan Man
 
User avatar
Joined: August 05, 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL

Post Post #2802  (ISO)  » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:26 am

Occasionally intellectually honest

hasdgfas
HoMoo
 
User avatar
Joined: October 02, 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2803  (ISO)  » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:28 pm

Yeah, let's not do unprotected chairshots like the one Cody took anymore. It's 2019, everyone involved should know better.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
 
User avatar
Joined: March 15, 2009
Location: Bull City
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2804  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:16 am

like fucking why
get to know a reckoner

it's time for the CHIVE to ARRIVE

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell
 
User avatar
Joined: January 05, 2007
Location: somewhere better than you =*
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2805  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:19 am

Haven't seen it yet but it'll probably be fine.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

GTKAS

hasdgfas
HoMoo
 
User avatar
Joined: October 02, 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2806  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:49 am

In post 2805, Panzerjager wrote:Haven't seen it yet but it'll probably be fine.


It's definitely not fine. It took me out of the entire rest of the show, including the Elite/Lucha Bros + Laredo match.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell
 
User avatar
Joined: January 05, 2007
Location: somewhere better than you =*
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2807  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:22 pm

I think that sometimes shit like that is fine, but him getting busted open definitely took that spot from being okay once in a while to being okay never.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

GTKAS

kuribo
Fire and Brimstone
 
User avatar
Joined: August 21, 2007
Location: The Beach
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2808  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:59 pm

I think the hardway blood made it worse.

There's no benefit to taking a chair shot without putting your hands up. You get just as good a visual and an audible crack with a protected shot.

It's like Shibata almost killing himself doing the headbutt spot. It's unnecessary because worked headbutts can look better and also won't retire you young.
Life is better with the sun on your back, the sand in between your toes, and the sound of the waves in your ear.
Tranquilo. Peace, Love, empathy

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell
 
User avatar
Joined: January 05, 2007
Location: somewhere better than you =*
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2809  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:12 pm

Shibata is my favorite wrestler and I loved that headbutt spot. It fucking sucks it turned out the way it dude, but it was fucking incredible.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

GTKAS

Kublai Khan
Khan Man
 
User avatar
Joined: August 05, 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL

Post Post #2810  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:18 pm

I thought Shibata was mostly retired already?
Occasionally intellectually honest

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell
 
User avatar
Joined: January 05, 2007
Location: somewhere better than you =*
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2811  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:24 am

He is =(
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

GTKAS

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
 
User avatar
Joined: March 13, 2007
Location: Washington
Pronoun: They

Post Post #2812  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:13 pm

Based on the interview, the chair was supposed to be gimmicked to make the spot safe, but it didn't work as intended.

As the Chairmen have pointed out, though, if you're not going to do real chair shots to the head, and you shouldn't, then you shouldn't do chair shots at all, because all the wimpy chair shots do is remind you that they don't do real chair shots.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell
 
User avatar
Joined: January 05, 2007
Location: somewhere better than you =*
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2813  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:47 am

i disagree with that. Cause that applies to literally any weapon.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

GTKAS

Kublai Khan
Khan Man
 
User avatar
Joined: August 05, 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL

Post Post #2814  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:16 am

In post 2812, Sudo_Nym wrote:Based on the interview, the chair was supposed to be gimmicked to make the spot safe, but it didn't work as intended.

As the Chairmen have pointed out, though, if you're not going to do real chair shots to the head, and you shouldn't, then you shouldn't do chair shots at all, because all the wimpy chair shots do is remind you that they don't do real chair shots.

On one hand, I do agree that soft-swinging a chair shot that gets partially blocked by the receiving wrestler's hands is a weak spot and should not be done.

On the other hand, I've seen some killer-looking chairshots to the back. Or ankle-Pillmanizing. Or even the ECW style of just throwing the chair at the opponents head. I don't think it's as dangerous (it certainly not the same velocity as swinging the chair) but it looks and sounds brutal.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
 
User avatar
Joined: March 13, 2007
Location: Washington
Pronoun: They

Post Post #2815  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:43 pm

In post 2813, Panzerjager wrote:i disagree with that. Cause that applies to literally any weapon.


Right, that's the problem with weapons in wrestling. If you're supposed to be a badass wrestler, and you've resorted to grabbing a weapon, logically the weapon should be used to fucking annihilate your opponent. If you're swinging the weapon softly so they can get their hands up, or swinging it at a less vulnerable area, then you're requiring the audience to try and justify why they did that instead of just killing the motherfucker, and that strains the suspension of disbelief. And wrestling with no suspension of disbelief is just angry ballet.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

kuribo
Fire and Brimstone
 
User avatar
Joined: August 21, 2007
Location: The Beach
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2816  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:03 pm

In post 2815, Sudo_Nym wrote:angry ballet.


It's fuckin' fake.
Life is better with the sun on your back, the sand in between your toes, and the sound of the waves in your ear.
Tranquilo. Peace, Love, empathy

Nexus
miss
 
User avatar
Joined: July 02, 2010
Location: Greatness
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2817  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:05 pm

the worst bit about the cody chair bump was that it meant that his opponent's stupid back bump on the edge of the apron got forgotten because of an even more ridiculous and unnecessary bump with the chair shot.

Drake Maverick, R-Truth and the 24/7 championship is the best thing about WWE at the minute.
Shitlord.

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell
 
User avatar
Joined: January 05, 2007
Location: somewhere better than you =*
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2818  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:47 pm

In post 2817, Nexus wrote:the worst bit about the cody chair bump was that it meant that his opponent's stupid back bump on the edge of the apron got forgotten because of an even more ridiculous and unnecessary bump with the chair shot.


I thought Darby took 3-4 insane bumps but Darby takes 3-4 insane bumps in every "tv" match he wrestles.

~~

If the chair didn't get hard way blood, do you think anyone would remember the chair shot?

~~~

Drake Maverick, R-Truth and the 24/7 championship is the best thing about WWE at the minute.


Ricochet's in the wwe and Firefly funhouse.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

GTKAS

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell
 
User avatar
Joined: January 05, 2007
Location: somewhere better than you =*
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2819  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:56 pm

In post 2815, Sudo_Nym wrote:
In post 2813, Panzerjager wrote:i disagree with that. Cause that applies to literally any weapon.


Right, that's the problem with weapons in wrestling. If you're supposed to be a badass wrestler, and you've resorted to grabbing a weapon, logically the weapon should be used to fucking annihilate your opponent. If you're swinging the weapon softly so they can get their hands up, or swinging it at a less vulnerable area, then you're requiring the audience to try and justify why they did that instead of just killing the motherfucker, and that strains the suspension of disbelief. And wrestling with no suspension of disbelief is just angry ballet.



That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. By that logic, literally anything that isn't shoot-based is garbage.

What do you think when someone sets up a table then doesn't use it? "Ugh, he shouldn't of grabbed that table because now I'm only reminded of people going through tables"

What do you do when someone throws a punch? "Ugh, that wrestler should punch because it's not a jab/hook/uppercut and now I'm only thinking about people taking real punches."

At that point, why are you watching wrestling? Just watch MMA.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

GTKAS

Kublai Khan
Khan Man
 
User avatar
Joined: August 05, 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL

Post Post #2820  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:17 pm

In post 2819, Panzerjager wrote:
In post 2815, Sudo_Nym wrote:
In post 2813, Panzerjager wrote:i disagree with that. Cause that applies to literally any weapon.

Right, that's the problem with weapons in wrestling. If you're supposed to be a badass wrestler, and you've resorted to grabbing a weapon, logically the weapon should be used to fucking annihilate your opponent. If you're swinging the weapon softly so they can get their hands up, or swinging it at a less vulnerable area, then you're requiring the audience to try and justify why they did that instead of just killing the motherfucker, and that strains the suspension of disbelief. And wrestling with no suspension of disbelief is just angry ballet.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. By that logic, literally anything that isn't shoot-based is garbage.

What do you think when someone sets up a table then doesn't use it? "Ugh, he shouldn't of grabbed that table because now I'm only reminded of people going through tables"

What do you do when someone throws a punch? "Ugh, that wrestler should punch because it's not a jab/hook/uppercut and now I'm only thinking about people taking real punches."

At that point, why are you watching wrestling? Just watch MMA.

I think I get what Sudo is saying. It's like watching a movie and someone walks into the bar and orders a beer without specifying a brand. Or a 555 number gets given out. Or trying to text using Microsoft Excel. It just interrupts the suspension of disbelief a bit.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell
 
User avatar
Joined: January 05, 2007
Location: somewhere better than you =*
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2821  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:05 pm

I know exactly what he's saying. I'm saying that's a stupid fucking opinion. If you have even day 1 knowledge of any combat sport, all of wrestling looks like trying to send a text message via Excel.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

GTKAS

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
 
User avatar
Joined: March 13, 2007
Location: Washington
Pronoun: They

Post Post #2822  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:42 pm

Of course wrestling looks fake to anybody with actual combat knowledge. That's not what matters. What matters is that wrestling has established it's own internal universe, where certain moves are effective when you'd never see them in a real fight, doing a flip makes your move hurt more regardless of what physics has to say, and people jump for suplexes for no explainable reason. And one of the rules of the wrestling universe is that when you grab a chair, you waffle your opponent with it.

People don't go to wrestling shows to see a real fight; if they wanted to see a real fight, they'd go to an MMA show. They go to a wrestling show to see wrestling, which means the wrestlers have to play by the established rules of the universe. The more you strain the rule, the more you break the willing suspension of disbelief that people engage in when they agree to buy a ticket. It's the same reason Christian Bale doesn't use real MMA moves in the Batman trilogy- even if it would be more realistic if he did, it would break the rules of that universe, because that's not how Batman fights, and it's not what people bought a ticket to see. It doesn't matter whether the rules are realistic, it only matters that you obey them when they're established, because getting the audience to play along is a huge part of the show, especially a wrestling show. When the audience has their disbelief broken, they disengage, and that's when you see them stop cheering and booing and start playing with beach balls.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

Panzerjager
Hell in a Cell
 
User avatar
Joined: January 05, 2007
Location: somewhere better than you =*
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2823  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:06 pm

1. You're wrong about Batman. Like incredibly wrong. There are real techniques all fucking over those Batman fights.

2. The rules of what one is allowed to do change, just cause the rule was headshot in 2007, doesn't mean chairs are a waste in 2019.

3. If you're willing to suspend your disbelief for people just standing there while zach saber Jr leisurely goes to 3 different limbs, than you should probably be willing to suspend your disbelief for a hard chairshot to the back.

4. People boo and play with beach balls because their expectations of who is going over and who should be in x spot, not because their "suspension of disbelief" is broken. People think Corbin doesn't deserve his spot is 100% the cause of more fan ire than because a spot wasn't believable enough.

Basically, you're wrong about literally everything and you hold an ignorant as fuck opinion for no reason other than you heard it on a podcast once. You're right in that when you go to a wrestling show you agree to a rule, that it's all fucking fake. Nothing else matters. Drawing the line in some arbitrary place because it breaks your imaginary rules for what is "too fake" is stupid. Joey Ryan suplexes people with his dick and nobody is like "oh, wrestling isn't this fake, better blow up a beach ball". Stop applying arbitrary imaginary rules to wrestling and saying those saying imaginary rules are the same for everyone or even the majority.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

GTKAS

kuribo
Fire and Brimstone
 
User avatar
Joined: August 21, 2007
Location: The Beach
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2824  (ISO)  » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:58 am

As someone who was at Wrestlemania 34 last year, I can assure you that the beach balls were more a consequence of the fact that literally everyone in that building thought Roman Reigns was finally getting his Wrestlemania coronation and that especially after six hours in the same seats, none of us had any interest in watching that.

And then when Lesnar went over, the crowd immediately came to "They just tanked this show for Greatest Royal Rumble in two weeks."
Life is better with the sun on your back, the sand in between your toes, and the sound of the waves in your ear.
Tranquilo. Peace, Love, empathy

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion