Formerfish's Advice Column

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:20 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2, Donempire wrote:Bookmarking in case i need to ask something
Ditto
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #21 (isolation #1) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:43 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 9, Formerfish wrote:
In post 7, popsofctown wrote:How do I justify not wearing a Halloween costume at all to others without sounding like the square that I am
You could go a few different ways with this, depends on how strong your moral compass is.

First you could just mess with people and tell them that you did dress up and that you thought that of all people the person you were talking to would get what costume you wore. Then just act indignant that no one guessed what you were.

A novel solution is just being honest, direct but short with people. When they ask just let them know that you don't celebrate Halloween.

If people press you on why and you don't feel like explaining it to them just tell them you are a Jehovah's Witness and ask about their relationship with your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
:lol:
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #22 (isolation #2) » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 14, Formerfish wrote:That's Christmas Eve day.

Thanksgiving is an American holiday in late November where we celebrate the invasion of America and subjugation of the native people while trivializing the meeting of our people's with cartoon turkeys and giant balloons.

Is this a common issue?
We already had ours.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #64 (isolation #3) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:00 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Any cures for laziness and a total lack of self-discipline?

Asking for a friend :P
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #67 (isolation #4) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:34 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 65, Formerfish wrote:
In post 64, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Any cures for laziness and a total lack of self-discipline?

Asking for a friend :P
Listen, I am right there with your friend. I am in a funk and I don't know how to get out of it. Right now I am underemployed as an IC for Amazon and don't have the motivation to work more than what I need to to pay my bills. I am on the verge of bankruptcy (which isn't a bad thing per se, it would help me a lot in my financial life since I am so fucked), and I'm feeling like shit because I can't even get a job as a seasonal worker at Target. As a result of all this I'm anxious and can't sleep at night, which means I'm exhausted and sleep most of the day when I'm not working which makes it so I see less and less of the sun which could be affecting me too.

I don't say all of this because I want a pity party. I say it because I think I'm at the point where I want to do something about it. I don't want to hate myself for sitting up all night binge watching Designated Survivor because I wish that was how our country was being run, or watching British Bake Show watching other people follow their dreams and do what they love to do.

So how do you get there? I think the answer is slowly, just like with exercise. You wouldn't decide to get off your couch one Sunday and run in a marathon, you would walk before you started to run. Changing any behavior follows the same model. If you make too many changes at once then you are dooming yourself to fail before you've even started. And knowing that these rules and ideas are never set in stone, they have to be mutable because that's what our lives are now.

So I have all these bad habits about my bedtime, mostly because I don't have one and because I don't have much responsibility there is a lot of mental moral gray area about when I should turn in. I think what I need to do is try to have a set time where I try to be in bed, like Midnight and then have an alarm set for 8am and don't hit snooze.

I know what you're saying right now too, how do I not hit snooze? I don't know, I haven't been there yet, but I think thinking about it is a good first step. Now I have to try it. Good luck to your friend.
Thanks, my friend expresses their deep and undying gratitude for your extremely sympathetic and thoughtful response.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #75 (isolation #5) » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:26 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 69, Formerfish wrote:
In post 67, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Thanks, my friend expresses their deep and undying gratitude for your extremely sympathetic and thoughtful response.
They're welcome. I know that sometimes we can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I feel like when we feel that way the sight of a friend holding a flashlight is just as good in the short run. It gives you hope and you can lean on that friend while they show you the way out.

Half of that is letting someone know you're lost in the tunnel, which is the hardest thing to let anyone else in on. Once you take that step though, each one after gets easier to make than the last.
One interesting thing I’ve noticed that if you read the sad thread, everyone thinks that they are somehow unique and the only one struggling with life. We ALL ar3 but most just don’t talk about it.

*DISCAIMER: I meany my “friend” obviously, not me.* :P
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #80 (isolation #6) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:47 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 76, Donempire wrote:Whats the sad thread?
It’s in the Speakeasy. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to link it here or not.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #90 (isolation #7) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:20 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 89, Spangled wrote:This is an excellent thread, FF. Say a friend of mine, a very good friend — I see him pretty much every day, actually — is trying to temporarily leave mafiascum to do something with their life for a few weeks but then come back when they have time to play mafia and LSGs. What should my good friend do?
You have the most adorable avatars on the site, sorry RC. <3
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #93 (isolation #8) » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 91, Formerfish wrote:
In post 89, Spangled wrote:This is an excellent thread, FF. Say a friend of mine, a very good friend — I see him pretty much every day, actually — is trying to temporarily leave mafiascum to do something with their life for a few weeks but then come back when they have time to play mafia and LSGs. What should my good friend do?
I say live your life in the real world when you can. We will be here or others will have taken our place but nothing will really change.

Are you worried about withdrawal, or relapsing?
As addictions go, playing mafia is probably one of the least harmful imo. I think so long as you don’t get yourself overgamed, it shouldn’t be a huge problem. One reason I prefer MS to MU. is you literally can’t have a life when you’re in a game because they move so fast.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #101 (isolation #9) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:33 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Dear FF: any tips for being less sensitive? Asking . . . for a
different
friend. :P

Spoiler:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #103 (isolation #10) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 102, Formerfish wrote:
In post 101, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Dear FF: any tips for being less sensitive? Asking . . . for a
different
friend. :P

Spoiler:
I don't think there is a way to be less sensitive, because you can't control the way you feel on that level. Things that make you bristle are always going to have the affect on you, what you can work on is how long you let it linger and how strongly it hits.

My daughter is 6 and has no filter. She doesn't say things to be mean, she just says things because in her mind and eyes they are true. Sometimes she will say things to my ex that hurts her feelings, and that's when I try to remind my ex that at 6 she doesn't understand why the things she said hurt, so we talked to her.

I think for me it comes down to a couple things:

1. Who is saying the thing? If they are someone who matters to me then I feel like I can speak with them about the issue. If they don't matter to me then their words hold the same weight.

2. Are they telling a hard truth? Sometimes we push back against someone being too honest with us. My daughter ran up to me the other day and shook my stomach and made a comment about how it jiggles now. That reinforced something I'd already noticed and I'm going to drink less soda as a way to combat it.

3. Why is this being said? Some people are just assholes and will say shit just to piss people off. I try to look at the motivation behind the statement to figure out how much stock to put into it.

Changing the way we react on a base level is difficult, but recognizing the signs that you are reacting that way and heading it off at the pass is something that you can do with practice. It takes knowing yourself well and being able to set aside the initial anger or outrage you feel and taking a second to examine the situation in it's entirety.

And if that fails, smoke some pot.
:lol:

I used to be the biggest doormat on the planet and allowed everyone to steamroll over me, which wound up having disastrous consequences for me. I mean my “friend”. :P
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “General Discussion”