Song Contest 144 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:54 pm

Post by Cyril »

Video games
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:56 pm

Post by Cyril »

In post 10, McMenno wrote:
In post 3, Cyril wrote:Video games
a reason for me to enter
i say this but, well, "video games" only in the literal sense
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:51 am

Post by Cyril »

i went out of my way to submit something i loved that i expected to perform poorly last contest. it worked.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #25 (isolation #3) » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:35 am

Post by Cyril »

the best part of song contest is finding the one song each contest that you genuinely cannot understand why any person would enjoy, and watching it place in the top 5 every time
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #32 (isolation #4) » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:58 pm

Post by Cyril »

In post 28, Vi wrote:
Cyril wrote:
In post 10, McMenno wrote:
In post 3, Cyril wrote:Video games
a reason for me to enter
i say this but, well, "video games" only in the literal sense
If this is the cover I heard on the local hard ass-rock radio station, your chances are probably quite good... but I'm going to try to compete anyway.
no, i promise it's not
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #33 (isolation #5) » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:07 pm

Post by Cyril »

i should submit an actual cover sometime but i'm generally opposed to them
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #52 (isolation #6) » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:13 am

Post by Cyril »

i've heard a few bon iver songs i really liked but the one that was submitted was awful

i'm not a huge fan/not super familiar but i like holocene a lot
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #71 (isolation #7) » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:50 am

Post by Cyril »

i like listening to albums, which live performances rarely are
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #79 (isolation #8) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:03 am

Post by Cyril »

please don't tell me you submitted baby shark
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #85 (isolation #9) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:02 pm

Post by Cyril »

In post 84, Song Contest wrote:
I can't put in the contest
curious why now
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #100 (isolation #10) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:38 pm

Post by Cyril »

no mcmenno is lying to you
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #104 (isolation #11) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:11 pm

Post by Cyril »

ugh moonsorrow

i've listened to that album and i just don't get it

also 24 entries... we're gonna start having cuts again soon lol
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #116 (isolation #12) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:26 pm

Post by Cyril »

Djibouti – At first I thought this was going to go the atmospheric djent route but then it turned into just normal djent. Either way I don’t think I would’ve been wild about it, but it’s, like, fine. They at least do try for some okay grooves and melodies and stuff. I don’t find any of it super compelling but it could’ve been way less interesting too. (AVERAGE)

Nigeria – Very sub-par metalcore. I legit don’t know what else to add to this. It’s not the worst thing ever and might scrape low points if this contest is bad, but otherwise yyyyeah not happening. (MEDIOCRE)

Niger – Generally with this kind of song the thing I’m most concerned about is the lyrical content and here it’s… well, generic and not that compelling, really. Musically this is… fine, a bit clichéd as expected but I didn’t mind it. (AVERAGE)

Vatican City – I just. I don’t like the sound of this music. I sat all the way through it and got nothing at all out of it. I don’t even want to relisten to it. It’s not bad but it’s kind of just… nothing. (MEDIOCRE)

Canada – Uuuuhhh it’s. Fine?? I dunno I tried to focus listening to this one and I just couldn’t. Sounds like a soundtrack ballad to the sad part of a movie. (AVERAGE)

Liechtenstein – Every time I hear music that sounds like this, I always just want to tell it to put on some deodorant.

Finland – This sounds exactly like every other folky black metal song sounds. I don’t understand what makes Moonsorrow so special in that regards. Also this is the one that ends with several minutes of nature sounds too which is not exactly what I’m here for. Like it’s fiiiine but it’s almost entirely forgettable. (AVERAGE)

South Africa – This game always looked like “what if team america was a video game”. Good to know it also sounds exactly like that. Ugh. I should call this average but I can’t. I don’t want to touch this again. (MEDIOCRE)

wow this isn't a good start
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #118 (isolation #13) » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:45 pm

Post by Cyril »

In post 117, Plotinus wrote:Canada isn't available anywhere except the US and Canada.
This is also true of the real world.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #124 (isolation #14) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:13 am

Post by Cyril »

Switzerland – A metal song won last contest and now everyone is submitting metal, I see how it is. With Eluveitie I never know if I’m getting folk metal or just folk ballad stuff. I definitely prefer the former. This is honestly better than anything I’ve ever heard from them previous, a lot of energy to it & a solid instrumental section too. Not amazing, but I like it well enough. (DECENT)

Turkey – Another type of music where I just don’t like the “sound” in general. I do like dogs though. Dogs are all good. This song isn’t exactly bad but I don’t really have any strong feelings for it either way. (AVERAGE)

Iceland – I recommend checking this song in the context of the game but I mean even by itself it’s a great synthpop bop. This entire soundtrack is really great. Play Sayonara Wild Hearts tbh.

Egypt – Ugh sorry but this is way too lo-fi for me. I think the point where your rock sound gets lost in an endless buzzing of static is the point where you’re pretty much all style over substance anyways. The vocals are actually kind of alright but I can’t listen to this lol.

Bolivia – Gonna be honest music that’s old and -sounds- old too I’m pretty inherently biased against, my tastes are just too modern to enjoy this. It’s not even bad, it’s actually pretty okay, some cool stuff with the horns that I dig a fair bit but the foundation of the song isn’t very interesting to me. Definitely felt too long, too. (AVERAGE)

Spain – I listened to some of their album from last year and it wasn’t really my thing, and this isn’t really my thing either. Too much of an industrial sound to their style for me to enjoy it. It kinda feels like one bassline looped for an entire song with just occasional leads over it. It’s not the worst thing but uuugh I do not want to listen to it again. (MEDIOCRE)

Sierra Leone – Persona 5 is definitely a good game and this is a good song. One that I already know quite well. This is cheating lol. It’s not -as- good outside of the context of the game though, but like, well. (GOOD)

Chad – Right on the border of potentially being really obnoxious but it’s at least fun enough and brief enough to not quite get there. (AVERAGE)
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #129 (isolation #15) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:57 am

Post by Cyril »

whether or not it's djent doesn't really affect the fact that i found it pretty meh, so alright
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #131 (isolation #16) » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:04 pm

Post by Cyril »

USA – Oh, ska, you perennial punchline of a genre. I mean this is pretty fun though. Energy and horns and some punk energy to it too. Not something I could imagine stomaching a whole album of but a short burst of this is fine in my books. (DECENT)

Greenland – This sounds vaguely familiar but I have no clue from where. Sounds like the kind of song that’d get on a Life is Strange soundtrack. It’s got that anthemic whoa-oh vibe to it and some kind of rambly lyrics I haven’t bothered to interpret. It’s… pleasant but not that memorable, most likely, especially since I’m probably getting it confused with some other song I forgot. (DECENT)

Poland – Everything I’ve heard from post-band Panic! has been kinda bad so I’m pleased to find out this is actually pretty fun. Yeah, I can dig this. Production might be a bit blown out but it doesn’t hurt the song that much. (DECENT)

Dominica – I do agree that sending Thom Yorke at this point is kind of… not needed? This was just kind of there though. It’s a piano ballad with no sense of dynamics and Yorke is a fine enough singer but it’s pretty much a flatline of a song. (AVERAGE)

Japan – Ooh this song just has a nice vibe and fun groove to it. I’m diggin’ it. In a shallow way but like, it’s nice yeah. (DECENT)

Iran – Oh, this song. Now I know what it’s called! It’s… fine. I’ve heard it on the radio a lot of times without ever noticing it. (AVERAGE)

Hungary – Hmm. This is a fine song that exists. I don’t have any further commentary on it beyond this, unfortunately. (AVERAGE)

Costa Rica – Hmm, there’s this interesting, low-key smoky vibe to this that I kind of like? I wouldn’t say I find it especially compelling though, but it’s okay. (AVERAGE)

well that last set was quote unquote better, i guess
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #140 (isolation #17) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:03 am

Post by Cyril »

Please understand that I have listened to more folky black metal than I probably should have
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #143 (isolation #18) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:24 am

Post by Cyril »

Which song is your song
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #149 (isolation #19) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:14 pm

Post by Cyril »

the transition to the loud chorus is good outside of the context of the game because choruses that slam you in the face are the best kind
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #157 (isolation #20) » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:25 pm

Post by Cyril »

relistening to the entheos song and it's definitely djent. you're honestly lying to yourself if you think otherwise
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #158 (isolation #21) » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:23 pm

Post by Cyril »

this was such a "meh" contest. almost nothing i particularly wanted to give points to in the end
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #169 (isolation #22) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:55 am

Post by Cyril »

In post 159, Dr Easy Bake wrote:
In post 157, Cyril wrote:relistening to the entheos song and it's definitely djent. you're honestly lying to yourself if you think otherwise
There’s not a even a single djent in this song dude, learn your subgenres.
i've listened to more than enough djent to know that djent is one of the main ingredients of that entheos song
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #180 (isolation #23) » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:39 am

Post by Cyril »

rabbit
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher