Newbie Introductions - Sup Fellow Home Slices

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Sing
Ninja

Post Post #2225  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:43 pm

hai, ive played mafia a few times before. hoping to have a good time :3

Espeonage
Survivor

Pronoun: He

Post Post #2226  (ISO)  » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:45 am

Nice to meet you. I am sure you will.

Hopefully you can find the queue to join a game. There are a couple of maintenance issues at the moment.
Don't @ me.

Pine
In Your Head

Post Post #2227  (ISO)  » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:53 am

And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.

And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

hotshot396
Ninja

Post Post #2228  (ISO)  » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:14 am

Hey yall, Ive played a bunch of mafia in person but I am very new to this site. When I say /in the comments of a game I wanna join, how do I know when the actual game will take place? Are these games over text chat or do we use voice too?

popsofctown
Survivor

Pronoun: She

Post Post #2229  (ISO)  » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:42 am

In post 2228, hotshot396 wrote:Hey yall, Ive played a bunch of mafia in person but I am very new to this site. When I say /in the comments of a game I wanna join, how do I know when the actual game will take place? Are these games over text chat or do we use voice too?

The games are played by forum post. Chess is to correspondence chess as face-to-face mafia is to forum mafia. You make posts (and votes) in your game's forum thread, directing comments to players who may be offline at the exact moment you're leaving the comment and will read it later that day. Games last an average of one and a half months or so (though unlike face to face mafia, when you die, you are released).

Understanding the different timing format makes these other questions more obvious to answer: most moderators wouldn't forbid you from leaving a voice recording file in the thread occasionally, but you usually wouldn't want to (although images are often fun); and it's not particularly important when the game will start since you only need to be available to start it in the 1-2 day window around when it finds its final player to sign up (and the mod will check with you first to make sure you haven't gone on vacation).

By happenstance, the "marathon" portion of the site that schedules 1 hour games for specific times is open a few weekends a year, and it's open this weekend. Since most players prefer the longer format most of the time, it's usually disabled to keep that format exciting the times we do play it. If you want to try it out to see how you feel about playing mafia through the internet, it's a good idea, but if it's critical for you that a game is won or lost an hour after you started, marathons probably won't be open often enough that mafiascum becomes home to you unless you fall in love with the extended format as well.

There's lots of benefits to the forum format and forum friendly timing that are less obvious than the downsides. I hope you'll at least give it a shot.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Previous
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion