Song Contest 145 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:15 am

Post by CheekyTeeky »

I'm going to say anything reggaesque. So if you think it's like reggae go for it. I won't be sad if people think dancehall is reggae.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:22 am

Post by Plotinus »

I think Soca is pretty different from reggae. Different beat, different musical origins (soca comes from calypso), different mood.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:33 am

Post by CheekyTeeky »

Cool I'd love to hear some!
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:56 am

Post by Amrun »

We could call it Carribbean-style? Would be less restricting but still exposing the general idea I think.

I’d probably enter dancehall.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:40 pm

Post by CheekyTeeky »

Feel da riddim!
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Post by PJ. »

Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Post by schadd_ »

Spoiler:
iran e edwards drop dead gorgeos. fun, good fun song. liked the fun parts. it was fun. 4.35

hungary root branch poor old soldier. i grew up with a medium amount of irish folk music and i like hearing the irish accent in music. this is nice. kind of has the 2010s Radio Rock vibe but still good. 3.8

spain caroline polachek door. vibe with this. 3.8

usa spanish lurt surt beach fart property. begh. 2.6

norway secret garden lament for a frozen flower. this is fine. initially thought it was going to be a metal song which soured the first minute or so. it had time to recover. 3.5

eritrea streetlight manifesto point counterpoint. ska folk. lol. this is kind of whatever. 3.1
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:30 am

Post by Vi »

schadd_ 107 wrote:initially thought it was going to be a metal song which soured the first minute or so.
I never considered this until you said it, but I totally get where this is coming from.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:01 pm

Post by schadd_ »

Spoiler:
uruguay scraton wub bub. uhh kind of an evil vibe from this one. 2.5

guinea dimash kudaibergen know. i vibe with this. so fucked up that the one woman like fell backwards and rolled a bunch. anyway the singing is good. leel lala ahaladaaaahhhhh laaaaahhh hhahAAHHHH 3.9

egypt melody seat heardrest breathe in breath out. i like the Sectionality of this. so fucked up that those three green things flew out of that face's mouth. pretty fun. 4.05

portugal dynamite boom. thom yorke. this is regular music. 3.4

liechtenstein while she sleeps silence speaks. somebody took one of those 2000s Guy Rock songs and then grafted metal onto it. i am not super enjoying it. 2.9

djibouti denzel curry kenny boots take it back. i mediumly liked both of mr. curry's last two albums. i have heard mr. boots is a law enforcement officer so i am skeptical of this new one but still optimistic. liking this one. wonder if rosa parks is the most namedropped person in hip hop. kind of neat video. 4.2

costa rica eels climb me to the moon. guitar and vocal harmony are a little bit nice. 3.8
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:43 pm

Post by Aurathebirb »

Feeling kind of overall meh on this contest

Spoiler:
(2.5/10) Niger - Zed - I was going to say this was a more mediocre version of Nirvana but I think I have to demote it to being a mediocre version of Nickelback.

(2.0/10) Chad - Wilson - Really bottom tier grunge, could say the same as above.

(7/10) Iceland - The Protomen - Oh wow this is really cool. I don't completely love the vocals but otherwise really great. Cool guitar riff, nice use of trumpets. I'm sold on this.

(5/10) The Netherlands - Weird Al - Kinda fun, great vocal harmonies going. Not a huge fan of weird al tbh this was okay though.

(1.0/10) Iran - A. Edwards - this song kind of
dragged
on

(2.5/10) Hungary - Root and Branch - I don't know it sort of just ends up seeming like an average celtic folk song. It might help if I got more than half the words I suppose. Wasn't interesting to me.

(4.5/10) Spain - Caroline Polachek - This was okay. For a pop song, not that catchy I guess.

(3/10) USA - Spanish Love Songs - I thought this was going to be a Modest Mouse cover to be honest. I don't like the thing his voice does. Other than that its kind of just boring. Too emo

(7.5/10) Norway - Secret Garden - It's very simple but effective. Very ethereal, atmostpheric. I kind of like it a bit. Yeah I ended up really liking this one. Wasn't expecting to since I'm normally against this kind of simple piano riffs.

(6/10) Eritrea - Streetlight Manifesto - I'm definitely not in the right mood for something this upbeat but I'm gonna call it a six. It's a good song, just not something I'd listen to a lot.

(8.5/10) Sudan - Teebs and Sudan - Very cool, atmospheric. Love the way the drum beat comes in. Love the vocals. Very enjoyable, would listen again.

(2/10) Uruguay - Scraton - Kind of annoying. Not a big fan of EDM like this.

(5.5/10) Guinea - Dimash Kudaibergen - Having only seen him on the singing show, kind of neat to see him solo. Kind of like what's going on here, feel the production is just a bit overdone.

(8/10) Egypt - Melody's Echo Chamber - I really like MEC although I dunno if individual songs are easy to rank cause the whole album is kind of a singular experience for me. So that's probably why this doesn't get my 12. Still love. Very dreampop.

(6/10) Portugal - IAMDYNAMITE - This is a great starting hook. Really didn't progress the way I thought it was going to. Maybe that's a good thing? I dunno, I think I like the opening riff more than the rest of the song by like, a lot.

(1.5/10) Liechtenstein - While She Sleeps - There's like a million of these bands and they're all like carbon copies. Same voices and hair and fashions and all. Watched the whole thing cause one of the guys is kinda hot

(2.5/10) Djibouti - Denzel Curry - I guess the video is kind of fun? Weak beats though, and didn't enjoy the rapping. Especially not the voice pitch raising parts.

(4.5/10) England - Fearofdark - Thought this was gonna be some Aphex Twin type stuff. Kind of disappointed. Not huge on the vidoe game esque music stuff. It's okay.

(2/10) Turkey - Lupe Fiasco - Oh no pop rap. Not sure if I've heard this before or if its just very generic.

(4/10) Poland - Billy Joel - its okay but I prefer his other song about the yellow brick road

(4/10) Bhutan - Joyce Manor - gonna give a bonus point for having the last song under 2 minutes cause I'm tired. Still not much though.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:40 pm

Post by Cyril »

when aura likes my song that's when you know it's a bad contest
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:16 am

Post by Vi »

In post 111, Cyril wrote:when aura likes my song that's when you know it's a bad contest
That depends on relative rankings, i.e. points assigned. It also depends on how different your current entry is from your usual fare.

(Tbh these contests have shown that I don't fully understand why people give the ratings they do. I think my ratings are fairly straightforward but they probably look as opaque to others...)
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:58 am

Post by Rhinox »

Spoiler: Don't hold back, tell me what you really think
In post 46, Cyril wrote:iechtenstein – Aaaand right into metalcore. I remember trying to listen to these guys’ album last year and it not doing much for me but this style of metalcore is never really for me. This is alright though. Kinda generic but it does what it wants to do solidly enough. (DECENT)
In post 50, I Have Bad Taste In Music wrote:Liechtenstein - Also better than it deserves to be, but it really doesn't deserve to be good at all so idk
In post 56, Vi wrote:(2) LIECHTENSTEIN -- While She Sleeps ft. Oli Sykes {Silence Speaks} -- Rhinox no. Bad rhino. No throat-burning. They're wrecking a song I would have rated way higher. I appreciate these lyrics in this dire time, but WHY these voices though. 3.1/6
In post 72, Formerfish wrote:Liechtenstein- While She Sleeps ft. Oli Sykes - Silence Speaks- i would listen to this while working out, or beating the shit out of a clown.
In post 109, schadd_ wrote:liechtenstein while she sleeps silence speaks. somebody took one of those 2000s Guy Rock songs and then grafted metal onto it. i am not super enjoying it. 2.9
In post 110, Aurathebirb wrote:(1.5/10) Liechtenstein - While She Sleeps - There's like a million of these bands and they're all like carbon copies. Same voices and hair and fashions and all. Watched the whole thing cause one of the guys is kinda hot

huh I thought this would be more well liked than my last entry. Oh well.

@Cyrill - "Aaaand right into metalcore"

I don't really know/care what the genre labels are for the music I listen to and couldn't even really identify them outside of the broad "rock"/"pop"/"country" etc. buckets.

@Vi - "Rhinox no. Bad rhino. No throat-burning. They're wrecking a song I would have rated way higher. I appreciate these lyrics in this dire time, but WHY these voices though."

I kinda agree with you tbh. throat-burning used to always be an immediate nope from me in the past but I guess I've developed a bit of a tolerance (and sometimes liking) for it. A little bit sprinkled in, ok, but too much is still a nope. There's a band with a couple songs on my list, "Parkway Drive", where I listen even though I have this dichotomy of loving it musically and hating the vocals. It's my mendoza line for my tolerance to throat burning.
Just below the line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ItHNdrPEh0
Just above the line: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAY2bCmm8e0

@FF - "i would listen to this while working out"
yeah that's pretty much when I'm usually listening to this so maybe that shapes my liking for it somewhat
", or beating the shit out of a clown."
uhhhh :shifty:

I'll get to voting tonight
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:52 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Votes are due at midnight Pacific Time tonight!
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:36 am

Post by Plotinus »

i voted!
In post 112, Vi wrote:(Tbh these contests have shown that I don't fully understand why people give the ratings they do. I think my ratings are fairly straightforward but they probably look as opaque to others...)
I upvote instrumental stuff, non English stuff, stuff with good lyrics. i downvote painful noise especially if it's yellow.

Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:41 am

Post by Cyril »

Do you hate most words
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:59 am

Post by Vi »

In post 116, Cyril wrote:Do you hate most words
could you please not
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:26 am

Post by Plotinus »

I can't muster much feeling about most words either way. The only word in this post that isn't bland is muster.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:26 am

Post by Plotinus »

at least, not on their own. the thing about words is how you combine them.

toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:54 am

Post by toolenduso »

Spoiler: Pulitzer and Hearst, they think we're nothin'. Are we nothin'? No!
Spain - Caroline Polachek - Door: This is interesting. It's definitely over-produced, and they're wiping vocal complexity, but it doesn't sound tooooooo plastic. Meanwhile the track is kinda weird and fun, and so is the video. This is like, dark and pretty, I like it. And as much as they're editing her vocals I can tell she's at least a decent singer. Favorite so far. DECENT.
Egypt - Melody's Echo Chamber - Breathe In, Breathe Out: This is pretty and a little weird and a little fun. It's nothing crazy or incredible, but I do like it. It's creative for sure. Fave or second fave so far. DECENT.
Djibouti - Denzel Curry & Kenny Beats - Take_it_Back_v2: Decent rapping, cool beat. Huh. DECENT.
Portugal - IAMDYNAMITE - Bloom: Hm. This is kinda nice. It's like The Strokes, if they were more fun. I sorta dig this. Not as much as Egypt or the weird door one. But it's up there for this contest. DECENT.
Liechtenstein - While She Sleeps ft. Oli Sykes - Silence Speaks: This is an interesting approach for this kind of song. That guitar lick over the vocalizing, it's kinda poppy. I sorta like this, it'll definitely get points, but it won't be in the top three. DECENT.
England - Fearofdark - Next: Somewhat fun, layered, retro video game-inspired electronica. You know what, I've heard shit like this before, but I'm kinda feelin it right now, and I definitley am digging it more than a lot of the stuff in this contest, like Eels and Dimash Kudaibergen. DECENT.
Sudan - Teebs & Sudan Archives - Black Dove: This was kinda fun and pleasant. Very atmospheric. DECENT.
USA - Spanish Love Songs - Beachfront Property: This is one of those bands that's competent but not very creative. I can only like bands like that so much. The second half is better. This is aight. DECENT.
The Netherlands - "Weird Al" Yankovic - Hardware Store: I've heard this one before, but like only once. I don't think it crosses any of my personally-drawn lines. I think it's well-known among AlHeads, but not the public at large. That said, it's decent but not one of my favorites. It'll probably get points. DECENT.
Bhutan - Joyce Manor - Heart Tattoo: Fun fact, one of the forearms of the singer of this band is completely black because he got too many shitty tattoos on it. So rather than put himself through the pain and expense of getting them all lasered off, he just inked over them all and now it looks like he's got the worst case of gangrene in recorded history. So him singing about wanting another tattoo here is pretty hilarious. It's pretty short. It's OK, though. Probably will get low-ish points. DECENT.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:10 am

Post by Cyril »

In post 117, Vi wrote:
could you please not
I'm asking out of curiosity not derision
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:36 am

Post by Vi »

In post 121, Cyril wrote:
In post 117, Vi wrote:
could you please not
I'm asking out of curiosity not derision
I apologize.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:58 am

Post by Cyril »

I'll admit to generally not caring about lyrics much either unless they're obviously bad or really good but I also don't get as much out of instrumental music so it's interesting to me to see people who prefer instrumental music almost exclusively
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:26 pm

Post by Amrun »

People who don’t listen to lyrics can’t possibly fully appreciate my entry.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.

Return to “General Discussion”