COVID-19 Pandemic

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star

Pronoun: She

Post Post #500  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 pm

So we have patients doing things like breaking quarantine orders to go to the pharmacy to rip their masks off and cough on workers purposefully shouting that they hope they get sick. Also she took the bus there.

This is why we can’t have nice things, and why the US now has the most cases in the world.

The baby is still struggling to stay under 104 degree fever, but still no cough. His physical exam looked good - ears “perfect.” I said I hoped it was an ear infection, so simple, and the doctor sheepishly admitted he did too. He asked about how tight-fisted they were being with testing and his lips went thin when I answered exactly how he expected (ie I’ve definitely been exposed and therefore so has the baby).

But his lungs sound clear and he was satting ok, so chances are it is some other virus, we just don’t know. Doing telehealth to follow tomorrow but we have really struggled to manage his fever all day.
I survived Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.

T-Bone
A Cut Above

Pronoun: He

Post Post #501  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:15 pm

You're good Slaxx.
Sim Survivor 2 In Sign-Ups!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019

Mina
The Shipwright

Post Post #502  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 pm

In post 500, Amrun wrote:So we have patients doing things like breaking quarantine orders to go to the pharmacy to rip their masks off and cough on workers purposefully shouting that they hope they get sick. Also she took the bus there.

Fuck humanity.

gobbledygook
Greatest of All Turkeys

Post Post #503  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 pm

Praying for you and the baby, Amrun. Please make sure you and your husband stay healthy as you can. Can’t help a sick baby if you’re also sick :(

Learn101
Watcher

Post Post #504  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 pm

Hey... I want to help.
I feel hopeless and helpless

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #505  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:18 pm

In post 502, Mina wrote:
In post 500, Amrun wrote:So we have patients doing things like breaking quarantine orders to go to the pharmacy to rip their masks off and cough on workers purposefully shouting that they hope they get sick. Also she took the bus there.

Fuck humanity.

Those would be the type of people to hide their bites during a zombie outbreak.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Pine
In Your Head

Post Post #506  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:29 pm

You don't get it, they're the special ones
The Account of Adren the Bard - An experiment in collaborative story-telling. Character creation survey is now live.

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #507  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:41 pm

I remember just before spring break, I was talking about the coronavirus to my classes. I had put up a new rule (Rule 6) that said "Don't spread germs or misinformation." We had about a couple of weeks of talking about who viruses are spread and why this one seemed bad. Just a couple of minutes before class.

I remember there was this one kid who bragged that if he got sick, he'd cough on everyone and "take them down with him". I know it's the silly boasting of a 14 year old, but I had a genuine moment of shock at hearing something so ignorantly horrible that I was at a loss for words for a few seconds.
Occasionally intellectually honest

kuribo
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #508  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:02 am

My facility is officially out of thermometer probe covers and hand sanitizer. The surface wipes are probably next.
"They're all covered with filthy germs, aren't they, Smithers?"

Fluminator
Best LSG/MishMash Player

Post Post #509  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 am

In post 504, Learn101 wrote:Hey... I want to help.

Are you a bot? Perhaps you'll be the last thing posting in this forum when the rest of humanity dies.

Equinox
Shot Count

Pronoun: They

Post Post #510  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:24 am

In post 487, Elbirn wrote:I really hope the other 49 states get on board with this asap because it's not gonna happen on a nation wide level

Twenty-two states have similar orders. You can check the list on the New York Times or Wired. The problem is that we need this to be a nationwide level to even entertain the idea of containing this disaster, but there will be localities and states (e.g., Texas) that refuse on ideological grounds, not to mention those states whose Republican governors are up for reelection may feel top-down pressure to prematurely lift public health orders if the president wants "re-start the economy". Additionally, if the public health orders do what they are supposed to do, then they will likely become unpopular because people will not see the effects, which is the point.

The sad part right now is that the effects are already becoming evident (e.g., this thread). It's surreal watching what is unfolding in New York City. It's true that New York City has much greater population density and is testing at a significantly higher rate than the San Francisco Bay Area, which is likely contributing to the sheer number of cases there; however, there is speculation that the Bay Area may have escaped at least some of that by instituting a shelter-in-place order six days ahead (and California two days ahead) of New York. We will know better once California tests at the same rate as New York does if that speculation holds, especially since 75% of the tests in California remain pending. Maybe in a week's time, we will be musing about Florida, whose governor is refusing to institute a statewide order and where thermometer data is showing fever spikes similar to that of New York City. All the same, the thought that mere days can cost so many lives is frightening.

Los Angeles County is considering extending its shelter-in-place order to May. I can imagine that this sounds unreasonable to someone who is in an area where COVID-19 is not quite as visible yet, where their local authorities or local media still believe COVID-19 to be a primarily economic problem, and where no one close to them or no one in their broader social networks have come down with the disease. Shutting down the economy for three months? You might as well murder between one and three million Americans at that point.

In post 507, Kublai Khan wrote:I remember there was this one kid who bragged that if he got sick, he'd cough on everyone and "take them down with him". I know it's the silly boasting of a 14 year old, but I had a genuine moment of shock at hearing something so ignorantly horrible that I was at a loss for words for a few seconds.

This reminds me of a story I had heard about how someone, upon returning from a trip abroad, "coughed" on all of the things when people suggested that this person self-isolate for everyone's safety. It sounded horrible at the time, but I've been wondering ever since if it was a way for that person to express denial about the outbreak. Most Americans alive have never been through something like this and, quite honestly, cannot fathom that such a disaster could strike here, so the natural reaction is to deny that it could ever happen. Something I read a few days ago suggested that the denial at the individual level can be traced back to trauma responses (e.g., the anxiety around the pandemic might be a callback to nuclear scares or wartime preparations).

A thought before I go to bed: I've been catching up on The Atlantic's "Social Distance" podcast, and the third episode, recorded 11 days ago, was talking about how the vibe in New York City felt like the "calm before the storm". The sounds of people going about their daily lives as the hosts walked around the city, followed by descriptions of how toilet paper and hand sanitizer had disappeared from store shelves, were particularly chilling to me because it was a flashback to where hitogoroshi and I were 27 days ago when he said that we had to stock up because a lockdown was on the horizon. At the time, I believed him, but it felt like such an abstract concept that things could spiral to the point where we would be banned from traveling or even going outside. Two weeks after we bought our supplies, I heard from friends that they could not buy toilet paper, but it was with the air of life being only minimally disrupted; whereas we were prepared with months of non-perishables, they were talking about going shopping on Sunday like it was something that they could do forever.

Now we're here, and it's a fucking disaster. I was angry before at how slowly everyone else seemed to move. Didn't they see the cases coming to the Bay Area, that we were already several weeks into community spread, that we needed to stop risking public safety by insisting that life continue as usual? I'm just sad now that this is where we are. It's nothing compared to what many of you must be feeling now, especially those of you on the front lines and those with loved ones who are ill. I really wish it did not take this to get people to see that we needed to take this seriously four weeks ago because we're now paying for the lessons in blood. We should've listened.
Last edited by Equinox on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
hold the line

kuribo
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #511  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:24 am

I kind of like the idea of bots continuing to post asking for help, expressing their profound sadness, even after the last human draws his final, rasping, fluid-filled breath in some god-forsaken hole.

talah
Mafia Scum

Post Post #512  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:03 am

@Equinox I feel for ya. It can't be good to be living like that in the middle of things.

talah
Mafia Scum

Post Post #513  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:05 am

In post 509, Fluminator wrote:
In post 504, Learn101 wrote:Hey... I want to help.

Are you a bot? Perhaps you'll be the last thing posting in this forum when the rest of humanity dies.

Man in 2020 during the coronavirus catastrophe accuses person of being a bot because it's edgy to do so

talah
Mafia Scum

Post Post #514  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:06 am

Edginess in 2020 #hashtag

Alyssa The Lamb
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Location: Emboite, Entrechat, Jete, Pirouette, Technical Finish.

Post Post #515  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:21 am

South Dakota had confirmed community transmission within the last couple of days (albeit primarily on the other half of the state), and we're only now finally starting to put restrictions bigger than closing schools and restricting gatherings of >250 people. I've been keeping up enough to see that there's a strong suspicion that there's community transmission in Sioux Falls too, but as far as I know it's not entirely confirmed yet.

I work in a gas station and I've had to heavily restrict how much food I put out on the warmer at a time because people still don't seem to get that maybe reaching for the stuff in the back and touching everything else on the way is not a good idea? Or picking everything up to inspect it from all angles reeeeeeally closely might be stupid? At least the idiots who open things up to get a closer look and force me to throw everything away appear to not be coming in anymore.

The company has made a lot of changes to help restrict spread for when we finally get a full on outbreak, but there are enough stupid people in this city that I doubt any of them will actually matter in the end. The construction workers or whichever of those professions are still out and about are especially bad at this, I've noticed. I think it's inevitable that my entire workplace gets the virus within the next couple of weeks unless we shut the place down entirely, which is definitely not going to happen barring that same condition being met. Other than that, I've noticed no actual differences day to day other than the store being a lot less busy the last couple of weeks and a constant fear that we're going to lose people to quarantine after being understaffed already.

It's really unsettling living with someone high-risk and seeing people be this ignorant about the consequences.
Spice is not just a flavor, it's a way of life.
Discord - GTKAS
On Improving At Mafia

TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel

Post Post #516  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:30 am

In post 508, kuribo wrote:My facility is officially out of thermometer probe covers and hand sanitizer. The surface wipes are probably next.

Spoiler: "It's going to be getting worse"

Still on the upswing and we've hit this point a handful of days in.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up

TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel

Post Post #517  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 am

In post 481, kuribo wrote:Shit dude, this is what we all fear as caregivers and medical personnel. I hope you stay healthy and get a good test result back.

Not even worried about that, just pissed by team is working short tonight and I'm watching Netflix.

In post 498, Amrun wrote:You’re asymptomatic?

Hahhaahahhha this is so much more precautious (and better) than the policies of my hospital system. You’re boned unless symptomatic or positive result.

They're taking the studies showing asymptomatic carriers real seriously, the nightmare scenario is I go in and take out an entire shift of nurses.
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up

talah
Mafia Scum

Post Post #518  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:33 am

that. is very fucked up.
@buttonmen

talah
Mafia Scum

Post Post #519  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 am

um is that not to do with COVID though? it doesn't say anything about that

kuribo
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #520  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:09 am

In post 517, TheButtonmen wrote:Not even worried about that, just pissed by team is working short tonight and I'm watching Netflix.

Yah you're not the type to leave your staff high and dry, we both know you'd rather be right in the trenches with them.

kuribo
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #521  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:11 am

In post 519, talah wrote:um is that not to do with COVID though? it doesn't say anything about that

It's def talking about COVID because it mentions the ventilator shortage

An alarming number of shortages are basic medical supplies and PPE that facilities never anticipated a nationwide shortage of

talah
Mafia Scum

Post Post #522  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:14 am

fucking hell i would hope it never comes down to an informational document

Kmd4390
I lost a bet.

Pronoun: It

Post Post #523  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:22 am

In post 496, Equinox wrote:
In post 495, Kmd4390 wrote:Yeah fully expecting it to be bad here soon.

Do you have anything to protect yourself from infection?

You mean like masks and stuff? No. At work they're cleaning with bleach but otherwise no I don't think so.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare

kuribo
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #524  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:34 am

In post 522, talah wrote:fucking hell i would hope it never comes down to an informational document

It's already at that point and worse in a lot of places.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2020/ ... rn-vpx.cnn

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion