Song Contest 149 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:18 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 144, Scigatt wrote:In better news, the super playlist is pretty much done, but there is one thing I'd like some feedback with now. All while creating the playlist I've replaced one of the the actual entries with a song off of the same album that I like more. Should I keep it the way it is now, or put the original entry back in?
Would still like some input on this, but other than that I'm ready to go.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:02 pm

Post by Scigatt »

This is my Song Contest Super Playlist!
-Assuming I haven't missed anything, this covers every Song Contest I've voted in up to and including SC 140. (Fwiw the only song that would have made it in the last two contests is my own SC 147 entry.)
-This playlist isn't in a worst-to-best as per my previous posted playlists. Instead, I tried to make a coherent playlist out of the songs until my standards lowered enough to leave the order alone.

Youtube Link
Spoiler: The list
Baby We Should Disco - Your Favorite Franchise(SC 75) - I'm definitely a sucker for this genre/type of song, and this is one of the best examples I've heard in the contest.
You Ain't Coming Back - Zeal & Ardor(SC 123)
We Forgot We Were Human - Dirt Poor Robins(SC 87)
Fear & Delight - The Correspondents(SC 75)
End Of Days - Devil Sold His Soul(SC 70)

Move Like U Stole It - ZZ Ward(SC 62)
Kill Us All - Twista(SC 92) - The verse density on this song while still maintaining very 'on-topic' lyrics is astounding. Also, consider this song when you hear the first line on the next song on the playlist.
Zero Orchestra - Matthew Good(SC 71 - own entry)This and the other song by this artist are the two best songs I've heard from them. I wish I'd submitted this song first though. It also has one of the best first lines of any song I've ever heard.
If nobody moves nobody will get hurt (the extinction) - The Paper Chase(SC 89 - own entry) - This is probably my favorite band, though I don't listen to them much right now. Unlike the previous artist, I still have a few songs I could submit from them.
Satori Part III - Flower Travellin' Banda

The Day We Caught The Train - Ocean Colour Scene(SC 57)
What I'd Be Without Me - The Paper Chase(SC 123 - own entry)
Take Me To Church - Hozier(SC 76) - The one thing that really bothers me about this song isn't about the song itself, it's that the music video has nothing to do with it. Even the cover that was submitted last contest is marginally more relevant to the music video than the original is. This is why I don't pay attention to music videos when rating: they lie.
Housebroken - The Hotelier(SC 74) - The craft in the lyrics is very well done, to the point that it easily earns its spot here. Its message feels rather one-sided and simplistic.
The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot(SC 125 - own entry)

Team The Best Team - Doomtree(SC 82)
Star Spangle Bang - Crunk Witch(SC 67) - This song is trash and I love it.
Thunder & Lightning - Brown Bird(SC 93)
Morpheus the Black - Cat Company(SC 125)
Said the Spider to the Fly - The Paper Chase(SC 57 - own entry) - I only really got into this band after submitting this song.
glass beach - glass beach(SC 140)b

Intro - NF(SC 94)
Collapsible Lung - Relient K(SC 77)
Blood In Your Mouth - Colour Revolt(SC 90)
Perform - Monarch(SC 90)
Non Populus - Matthew Good(SC 54 - own entry) - If I ever made an entry into Desert Island Discs, this would be the very last song in that entry. I have easily spent an entire week of my life listening to this song alone.

aEDIT:The original entry was Satori part II(SC 62), but I liked this song on the album better.
bOn Youtube the only good version I could find was tagged with an interlude track at the end. The Spotify playlist more closely represents what was actually submitted. If you spot any other discrepancy between the playlists, please tell me, as I have probably fucked up.
Last edited by Scigatt on Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (isolation #2) » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:08 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 7, Aristophanes wrote:
In post 3, Scigatt wrote:
In post 144, Scigatt wrote:In better news, the super playlist is pretty much done, but there is one thing I'd like some feedback with now. All while creating the playlist I've replaced one of the the actual entries with a song off of the same album that I like more. Should I keep it the way it is now, or put the original entry back in?
Would still like some input on this, but other than that I'm ready to go.
Keep it as is, I won't know the difference and I'd love to see your own flair in the list :)
Sorry, but I decided to go the other way. You'll just have to settle for six of my own entries in the playlist.

EDIT:Good news, I changed my mind.
Last edited by Scigatt on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (isolation #3) » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:33 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Put in what I was gonna submit before I swapped it with the mashup. It was featured on a tv show, but I found it on Spotify.

Also, I was expecting a bit more ribbing on the Super Playlist composition. Even I think one of the songs in there is trash(that I still love).
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (isolation #4) » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:17 am

Post by Scigatt »

I am very bored, so not only have I commented some of the songs on the Super Playlist, I decided to fix it up a bit (reverted the previous decision I talked about, and removed another song and put another song back in at a different spot.) One thing I forgot to mention about the Super Playlist is that there are points where I feel you can break it up into 'mini playlists'. The spaces in the track listing now correspond to those breakpoints.

Also I did a personal picks playlist:
-This covers every song contest I voted in from Song Contest 94 to 148 inclusive.
-The playlist is arranged from worst to best, except for the final four tracks which made it into the Super Playlist.
-Ranking based on a re-listen, so songs may be out of order or 'missing'.
-Where the original entry was not from YouTube, a replacement was found or created. The original entry may be found in the song listing.

The playlist

Spoiler: Song listing
Song Contest 94

Beyonce - Don't Hurt Yourself (feat. Jack White) - 10 - Original Entry
Glen Hansard - Bird of Sorrow - 8
NF - Intro - 12
Innerpartysystem - Don't Stop - 6

Song Contest 95

Kaleo - Way Down We Go - 10

Song Contest 96

Nuttin But Stringz - Winner - 8

Song Contest 123

Zeal & Ardor - You Ain't Coming Back - 12
Arion ft Elize Ryd - At The Break of Dawn - 8

Song Contest 125

My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade - 8
Cat Company - Morpheus The Black - 12
Father John Misty - Mr. Tillman - 10

Song Contest 140

glass beach - glass beach - 12 - Original Entry
Ghost - Cirice - 8
Sycamour - Calm Down Juliet (What A Drama Queen) - 10

Song Contest 147

NOTHING

Song Contest 148

Avi Kaplan - I'll Get By - 6
Wind Rose - Diggy Diggy Hole - 12
MILCK - Take Me to Church - 10

Not linking to previous picks because they're broken and I don't want to fix them.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (isolation #5) » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:56 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Spoiler: This is a beta test of the Cryptic Rating System Ver. 1.2
The Netherlands: A/O-
Sierra Leone: A/O - Is it just me, or does this song feel like it goes on forever?
Syria: A+
Poland: O - hehe vegetable cutters
Greenland: A

Finland: O/A
Portugal: A/O++
Cote d'Ivoire: A
Gabon: A
Asgardia: O/M

USA: A/D
Belarus: D
Iceland: A-
Sudan: O

Japan: O/A
Egypt: A
eSwatini: A--
Djibouti: A/Ov
Germany: A/D
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #105 (isolation #6) » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:02 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Spoiler: Response to Vi
In post 103, Vi wrote:===TIER: NO POINTS

BELARUS -- Wax Fang {Majestic}
Why no comment? You hated my SC 147 entry more and commented on that.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (isolation #7) » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Post by Scigatt »

So i decided to give Sierra Leone another listen, because of all the talk of it here. I can sort of see the appeal, and it is a bit more than okay, but not more than that. Not really a fan of her voice.
Spoiler: Ballot results
It just fell off of my ballot. It probably would have made it in an average contest, but the bottom half of my ballot was stronger than usual.
Cyril wrote:voted. greenland is so much better than everything else in this contest it isn't even funny (and i liked my 10 a lot too)
Greenland's alright, but it's not all that.
Spoiler: More ballot results
I gave it an 8. I strongly suspect we have the same 10(From the way it started it could have been a 12, but was a bit of a let down at the end.), and you probably didn't give points to my 12.

On the other hand, my entry seems to be suffering from classic 'me liking vocals no one else does' syndrome.
Now let's answer some of the questions in this thread.

Funny insults to my entry are cool, but if you say something wack there will be words.

When it comes to lyrics in songs, the song has to make me care about them. This can be done with some combination of making the lyrics upfront and obvious and being captivating enough w/o known lyrics that I eventually listen enough to become curious about them.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (isolation #8) » Sat May 02, 2020 5:40 pm

Post by Scigatt »

On this episode of re-listening to entries even though I voted four days ago, let's listen to Asgardia:

This has much less cringe than I remember, and can hear what others liked about it. Not sure why I thought it had so much cringe in the first place. Maybe I heard the word 'despacito' and my brain shut down.
Spoiler: Ballot Stuff
I am tempted to resubmit to give this a point. It wouldn't be more than one point, though.

Also, I really want to make note of the subtitles. Traditionally, you put the subtitles in a language that isn't being spoken, but they really broke the mold here.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #178 (isolation #9) » Mon May 04, 2020 1:55 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 173, Vi wrote:
sheeple stuff
How would this change if I gave my 1 to Asgardia instead of eSwatini?
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #180 (isolation #10) » Mon May 04, 2020 3:28 pm

Post by Scigatt »

In post 179, Vi wrote:
In post 178, Scigatt wrote:
In post 173, Vi wrote:
sheeple stuff
You would chill out in between Natirasha and Dr Easy Bake. Asgardia is further from 10th place than eSwatini. Not only that, but you'd break the tie for fourth in Asgardia's favor, pushing it further away.
The fact that shifting points from someone with fewer points to someone with more points lowers my sheeple rating seems rather antithetical to the concept of a sheeple rating.

Begins trying to compute a rival sheeple rating
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #191 (isolation #11) » Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 am

Post by Scigatt »

I am proud to introduce the Mathematical Sheeple Rating Ver. 0.1
100% is ideal sheeple and 0% is ideal snowflake.
The percentages are rounded from the fractions in parentheses.

ceejayvinoya -
83.77%
(2410/2877)
Hiraki -
83.44%
(2495/2990)
Aristophanes -
81.73%
(2394/2929)
InflatablePie -
80.26%
(2187/2725)
T-Bone -
73.67%
(2118/2875)
Scigatt -
69.20%
(2121/3065)
Knightmare491 -
69.15%
(1782/2577)
PranaDevil -
68.28%
(2036/2982)
Xtoxm -
63.74%
(1918/3009)
Natirasha -
62.66%
(1715/2737)
panzerjager -
62.52%
(1968/3148)
Equinox -
57.74%
(1839/3185)
Cyril -
57.56%
(1781/3094)
Errantparabola -
56.17%
(1798/3201)
MiniDeathStar -
55.72%
(1740/3123)
Vi -
54.99%
(1736/3157)
Dr Easy Bake -
54.61%
(1622/2970)
toolenduso -
49.25%
(1577/3202)
schadd_ -
39.82%
(1338/3360)
pickemgenius -
27.24%
(934/3429)
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #193 (isolation #12) » Tue May 05, 2020 1:24 am

Post by Scigatt »

In post 192, Xtoxm wrote:interesting
could you give a brief description of what you're doing to come up with those numbers?
Basically, I came up with a measure of how closely a voter's ballot matches the the point distribution of the other voters together. With this it was easy to determine the minimum and maximum possible values of this measure given voting constraints and the other voters' point distribution. The percentage then reflects how far along the actual measure is towards being maximal.

The measure I used this time around was rather crude. There's a more complicated and mathematically correct way to do it, but that's for another time.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #196 (isolation #13) » Tue May 05, 2020 10:26 am

Post by Scigatt »

In post 194, Vi wrote:
In post 180, Scigatt wrote:
In post 179, Vi wrote:
In post 178, Scigatt wrote:
In post 173, Vi wrote:
sheeple stuff
You would chill out in between Natirasha and Dr Easy Bake. Asgardia is further from 10th place than eSwatini. Not only that, but you'd break the tie for fourth in Asgardia's favor, pushing it further away.
The fact that shifting points from someone with fewer points to someone with more points lowers my sheeple rating seems rather antithetical to the concept of a sheeple rating.
While I understand your concern, from the viewpoint of comparing to the final result, as opposed to comparing against all of the other sets of votes, voting someone 10th place who got 7th place is closer than voting someone 10th place who got 4th. ("
That
entry made top 5? I thought it was okay at best.")
When you throw words like 'sheeple' and 'snowflake' around in regards to a rating/ranking, I expect it to be some sort of conformity rating.

Two questions:
If my 1 ends up winning, is that more or less sheeple(by your method) than if I didn't give points to the winner?
How do you take penalties into account?
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #198 (isolation #14) » Tue May 05, 2020 11:31 am

Post by Scigatt »

I'm sorry. Clearly I got a bot wrapped up in my shiny new rating system.

It is also clear we have differing philosophies on this If you want, I can PM you a detailed description of what I did for you to review.

Return to “General Discussion”