Song Contest 205 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: any pronouns

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:47 pm

Post by Yimmy »

/in
this is post #1 now
Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (isolation #1) » Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:30 pm

Post by Yimmy »

Yimmy
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Yimmy
any pronouns
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (isolation #2) » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:02 pm

Post by Yimmy »

i'd like to note that my rating scale is primarily "would I like to listen to this more" and also it's completely relative. 5 just means that I think it's a little worse than something else that i randomly decided was a 6. or a bit worse than something that was a 7. anyway this numbers don't generalize outside of the spoiler space they are in
Spoiler: my very important opinions
nigeria: naked & red
i should've taken notes on my first impression. anyway this reminds me of the bonus tracks in guitar hero that were made by harmonix staff. weird rock music. it wouldn't be very fun in guitar hero though. needs a cool solo. i don't know if it's harmony or whatever but there's a little bit of discord in the vocals that i'm super into
7/10 i would be happy if my local radio station picked this up
peru: mythical
this is not my style. sometimes i come close to believing that this song has some meaning worth considering but then he mentions lumpy space princess and it loses credibility. i kinda enjoy the song for what it is, but i'm usually mindful of how songs make me feel and this song just has a lot of discontentment which i'm not into.
5/10
sumer: oh marcello
this one's me. i kinda regret this choice a little in hindsight cause it's certainly not her best work and now i don't get to submit anything better for like half a year. so it goes
10/10 obviously
scythia: storm
i am not into this. unfortunately violins are maybe the least exciting classical instrument to me. besides that, i just don't hear any intention behind this song. like classical pieces reek musical intention from every pore and a lot of modern music is maybe not intentional musically, but you can tell that it just wants to be party. this compromises in the middle where it doesn't seem like it wants to be anything but it also doesn't do anything.
3/10
sweden: Charles Francis Coghlan
yikes this video is 8 minutes. ok i've listened to it a few times anyway. it passes the "would this be fun in guitar hero" test. i think i'd be happier if it was shorter. it definitely goes through the right movements to last a full eight minutes but i think the singers tone is too rigid so i have a hard time catching the transitions passively, and after building for a while it doesn't quite resolve for me because it still sounds too much the same
musically this feels like a 6/10 but i wouldn't like it to pop up in my playlist so actually it gets 4.8/10
mount celeste: objection punk
this showed up in my recommended feed a lot for a while and i never clicked on it because i am very haughty. i like ace attorney a lot and i guess i am a little disappointed that this doesn't draw from any of the seventeen very good songs titled "objection" and is instead it's own independent piece that just uses samples. objectively it should be good that it isn't, like, derivative. i enjoy the song but i don't think i'd choose to listen to it often cause it's a little flat. it's too high energy to listen passively but doesn't really reward active listening. maybe if i was running or something. i feel like this song has a place in my life
6.5/10
chile: one week
postmodern jukebox is still around huh? this song is a cover and i can easily guess that it is a cover which i think is not a good thing (i do not know the original song). i'm not able to identify too much specifics but this song really feels like it's being smushed into a mold where it doesn't fit
4/10
wales: grapefruit
i do not connect with this song fundamentally. anyway it sounds like a mid-tier song i'd hear when listening to eurovision. i think the beat is a little generic for most of the song and it's not very subtle lyrically. which isn't a bad thing. i would like a song that says exactly what i'm feeling in plain terms. i just am not feeling this way right now
4.5/10
mali: expert in a dying field
i just like this song in my brain quite a bit. it's, like, normal but it does it really well. all of the transitions from verse to chorus or bridge and such hit really hard. the song just has a generally hopeful tone to it that i appreciate a lot. like i don't think that people would hear this song and think "yeah that's a happy song" but it still makes me feel like the world is a good place.
9/10
madagascar: plan z
when i was growing up my older sister was too cool for spongebob and i imitated that without any depth, so i hear "krusty krab" or "bikini bottom" and instantly start frothing at the mouth and harshly judging all involved parties. it's hardly a bad song either. i don't want to judge it fairly though cause i have a problem
2/10
uqbar: farfalle
i like to claim that i really value novelty and this song is putting that to the test. i do not think i have heard a song like this before. maybe in some ost. anyway. i guess i see songs pretty pragmatically and i am having a hard time figuring out where this song fits in my life. it's not simple enough to listen passively but it's not exciting enough to listen actively. it doesn't make me feel happy or validated or help me process anything. it just makes me uncomfortable with a little bit of dread tacked on. i think i believe this song is exactly what the artist intended to create and i respect that a lot but i don't want it for me
2.5/10
gabon: red wine supernova
i like listening to this song a lot. it's a very good pop song. i can easily imagine myself cruising downtown in my cool car shouting along with this song (although this won't likely happen in practice). the lyrics are straightforward and don't have anything to say but i think that's by design. it just wants to be a good time and i think it does that. it's a little too much for me at some points though.
8/10
antarctica: chocological
this is a pretty saccharine song. it gets really good placement among saccharine songs too cause i think a lot of cheery songs rely on simplicity and nostalgia to get you comfortable (i completely made this up, right now) and i think this song is very happy without having to rely on any outside material or being boring. it reminds me a lot of the bit.trip series which i'm also super into. i think this is a very good song and it has a place in my life.
9/10

Return to “General Discussion”