Song Contest 209 (Results are up!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:58 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

Early in this time
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #28 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:12 am

Post by Pink Ball »

Spoiler: funny comment
Australia

Scott Walker - The Old Man's Back Again

Good start, immediately interested because of the bass. Yeah I wasn't convinced at first by his voice, but it matches perfectly everything else going on around it. It's not trying to be the main course of the song, just a side dish, and it's doing wonders to deliver the bassline, the violins, everything. Great song.
Score: 9.5 out of 10
Barbados

Megan Thee Stallion ft. Spiritbox - Cobra (Rock Remix)

Err lyrics are a little cringeworthy, like any generic rap song from nowadays that tries too hard, I don't know, maybe that says more about me than about the genre itself. Other than that, I don't really like the mix this time (I think I heard another metal/rap mix in another Song Contest or maybe somewhere else?).
Score: 2.5 out of 10
Sudan

Justin Greenhouse - Escaping the City

Not my kind of thing, but I reaaaaally like his voice, it's so clean! That's rare to find now, like he's not trying to overdo it.
Score: 5 out of 10
Scythia

The Dread Crew of Oddwood - Skeletons

Wow this is like, the opposite of the Scott Walker song: immediately hate it for some reason. Let's see if that first impression goes away. Mmmmm I have mixed feelings, I hate the gimmicky voice, but everything else is actually really good. Sadly, the voice IS the main course in this case so I can't ignore it. Edit: I'm giving it a -0.5 just because of that triple ending.
Score: 4 out of 10
Chile

Zapla - Is It Love

Zapla is another friend of mine from college, this is his third song and the one I've liked the most, which isn't hard not only because this one has some things that hit all the right places for me, but also because the first two aren't that good to be honest. But the point isn't being great since the start; the point is starting, taking that huge leap from having a comfy and guaranteed quality life to pursuing his dream without knowing what that will bring him in the long run. I admire that, and I hope he makes it, whatever that means for him.
Score: Dreams out of 10
Antarctica

Rabbit Junk - What Doesn't Kill You Will Make You a Killer

Not my cup of tea, definitely. Not my cup of anything. Could've skipped the first 2 minutes and it would've been far better!
Score: 3 out of 10
Italy

Marta Del Grandi - Snapdragon

Nothing much to say other than it's a great song! The bassline that's introduced at the middle of the song is lovely.
Score: 8 out of 10
Zanarkand

Guerilla Toss - Retreat

Lovely voice, but nothing else going on in here catches my attention in a positive way.
Score: 2 out of 10
Mount Celeste

Hyper Potions - Snow Day

I've come to the point of really waiting for the nexts contests just to see what you'll bring to the table 'cause it's so interesting everytime. They're not always my favourite songs, but the style is so mesmerizing. Same with this song: great background song.
Score: 7.5 out of 10
New Zealand

Morningsiders - Empress

Oh the claps are back. Sarcasm aside, this is a rare case of an indie song being actually outstanding thanks to some elements that are a little riskier than usual. The alternation between the 5 beats per bar to 6 beats per bar (or 3 if you consider its 5/4 and 3/4-3/4 instead of 5/8 and 6/8) gives the song a unique quality, making the piano give an urgerncy that you have to follow closely, and it will stop once in a while to give you a chance to catch up. The strings are a nice touch too, productionwise. For an indie song, this is great.
Score: 9 out of 10
Mali

Divine Fits - For Your Heart

Assuming that I found the correct song (since the video wasn't available for me lol), I liked this one quite a bit. The "noise" that's constantly going (I wouldn't know how to describe it) reminds me of a Donkey Kong track for some reason, but that has nothing to do with why I like (or maybe it does).
Score: 8.5 out of 10
eSwatini

Meute - Loss of Hope

This is cool. Not really like a "great song" but a "great vibe" certainly. Like, I would love to hear this live and be right there, but that doesn't make it like an actual good song I guess!
Score: 5.5 out of 10
Portugal

Kiltro - What Gives

I already knew this song; I've been following Kiltro thanks to Song Contest because "Curicó" was submitted a while ago and it caught my attention since it's a Chilean town. I'm not complaining though, I dig them. This song in particular, in contrast with other ones I've listened to, is not that special, but on its own it's a great tune.
Score: 7 out of 10
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post Post #29 (isolation #2) » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:33 pm

Post by Pink Ball »