Put Me In Charge

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #158 (isolation #0) » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:40 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'd rather use roadside cleaning to punish prisoners for being criminals AND being taxpayer dependents than punish welfare recipients for being taxpayer dependent.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #203 (isolation #1) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:48 am

Post by popsofctown »

PranaDevil wrote:I'd rather pay someone a decent wage to do it. But that could be me just thinking that if a job needs doing, then someone should be getting paid a wage for doing it. Especially when people want to work.
The prisoners get fed every day. Housed too, actually. Are they billed for medical care? I'm not sure about that. You could charge them for being in prison, pay them, and then take the money right back.

If you're worried about the unemployed getting cut off from money because the prisoners are stealing their jobs, just take the money you would have spent paying those guys to do it and put it back into welfare and foodstamps. Then the only difference between the two is whether you'll have idle citizens or idle prisoners.
The prisoners don't deserve to be idle.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #207 (isolation #2) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:51 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Empking wrote:
popsofctown wrote:
PranaDevil wrote:I'd rather pay someone a decent wage to do it. But that could be me just thinking that if a job needs doing, then someone should be getting paid a wage for doing it. Especially when people want to work.
The prisoners get fed every day. Housed too, actually. Are they billed for medical care? I'm not sure about that. You could charge them for being in prison, pay them, and then take the money right back.

If you're worried about the unemployed getting cut off from money because the prisoners are stealing their jobs, just take the money you would have spent paying those guys to do it and put it back into welfare and foodstamps. Then the only difference between the two is whether you'll have idle citizens or idle prisoners.
But what have the citizen done to deserved to be forced into idleness? Can't you just buy a bunch of rocks for the prisoners to break up?
Few areas have neither volunteering opportunities nor jobs.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #212 (isolation #3) » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Post by popsofctown »

PranaDevil wrote:
popsofctown wrote:
Empking wrote:
popsofctown wrote:

But what have the citizen done to deserved to be forced into idleness? Can't you just buy a bunch of rocks for the prisoners to break up?
Few areas have neither volunteering opportunities nor jobs.
Then give the volunteering jobs to the prisoners?

I previously worked in a charity store, and we took in volunteers from the local open prison. (Prisoners went there when they were due to be released shortly, so this was a way of helping them back into society rather than just dumping them outside and letting them get on with it).

I don't see why jobs that someone should be getting a wage for should be given up for free. Charity work for various organizations is fair play. Nobody gets paid for it to begin with (well, barring managers and the occasional shop assistant and people in offices) and so they're not taking jobs away from other people.
Sure, making prisoners volunteer works. I just figured it would be logistically difficult to put prisoners in volunteer work. (they have to be supervised and whatnot. I'm sure there's lots of red tape and rules).

I'm just not happy if the honest poor are working harder than prisoners. It's not good for incentives and work is in all likelihood good for their rehabilitation (or whatever you call it, convincing them not to be repeat offenders and to straighten their act).
"Well, I..."

Return to “General Discussion”