What's a good desktop computer brand?

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:54 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 2, Mr. Flay wrote:Control Panel -> System. See the specs.
It's a lot more exciting than that in windows 8 if you forgo the metro screen. (Getting to the control panel from desktop view anyway.)
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:41 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 4, Mr. Flay wrote:I am blissfully ignorant of Windows 8. I was hoping Egg had been spared that pain as well.
Unfortunately I am not. :(

I actually bought a 2nd OEM of 7 to downgrade our laptop cause I was sick of all the random things that 8 does.
In post 5, Egg wrote:No clue.
If you have windows 8, it will look similar to this when you boot it up. Image
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (isolation #2) » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:05 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 11, bv310 wrote:I like the concept of Windows 8, especially for casual laptop users, but holy shit is the execution bad.
I will never understand why they couldn't have done everything they did with 8 while allowing you to retain the ability to use the thing like windows 7.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (isolation #3) » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:00 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 21, CooLDoG wrote:can I get a start menu... that doesn't cover the full fucking screen? Is that too much to ask?
http://www.classicshell.net

It's not perfect, but it worked reasonable well for me. I still gave up on 8 because an intro to windows screen popped up randomly after several boots that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of completely. (I think it was describing cloud related features, I could never describe it well enough to figure out how to find anything that would allow me to disable it.) Also because you still get some metro functionality creep in even after you completely disable the metro interface via classicshell.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (isolation #4) » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:30 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Anything in the gaming section of newegg looks like it will work fine for what you're wanting it to handle. Just a matter of how much you want to put into it for higher specs.

ASUS is another good brand to look at.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (isolation #5) » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:06 am

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 49, crywolf20084 wrote:I dont know why anyone would want to buy a gaming laptop. They dont last as long cuz they dont cool well as other PCs
Not exactly true. A gaming laptop is going to produce more heat when it's used for gaming, but for other functions it's going to be better suited for cooling if anything.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #55 (isolation #6) » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:45 am

Post by Zachrulez »

I'm not sure how the video cards compare, but they both seem to be relatively low end. I believe the Intel processor performs better than the AMD, but that particular AMD can be overclocked better than the 4770 can. If you can find a desktop with a 4770k you can get both the advantages of a better performing Intel processor, and the same overclocking advantages than the AMD has, as well as the fact that those Intels seem to have a built in GPU of their own. (Capable of low end gaming I believe.)

Return to “General Discussion”