Song Contest 110 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:07 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 6, Parama wrote:I ain't the sharpest tool in the sheee-eed
Damn straight
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:35 am

Post by toolenduso »

I entered

ahhhhhhhhhhhh
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (isolation #2) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:08 am

Post by toolenduso »

lol I got through my first round of listen-throughs on like the first day the songs were up and then completely neglected to do the second round until today so here we go imma just do as many as possible before I have to log off
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #106 (isolation #3) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:40 pm

Post by toolenduso »

OK I managed to relisten to all the ones I could've plausibly given points to.

Thoughts for the top 10:

Iceland - Hacride - Awakening: I am liking this. Guitar work is good. The part where it picks up around 2:45 is cool. That crazy solo toward the end of the song is also quite awesome. GOOD. Good chance this gets my 12. GOOD.

Burkina Faso - Mallu Magalhaes - Voce Nao Presta: Ah, nice. This is quite retro. Like, this is retro even for jazz. But very fun. Solo was aight. This is for sure getting points and might win the contest. GOOD. This is a cool song and the person who entered it should be proud of themselves. GOOD.

Kugelmugel - Kaytranada - Glowed Up: Can I just say that I automatically have low expectations for any artist who chooses to put their name in all caps? OK I guess they're just gonna let Anderson .Paak take control on this one, and I am completely fine with that. This was pretty good! GOOD. .Paak saves this song, but it's not better than the other two goods in this contest. GOOD.

Afghanistan - Danny Brown - $25: Not bad. Better than Tortoise. DECENT. I'd go so far as to say this is better than Tortoise and the Albanian one. DECENT.

Albania - K&B - If There's a God: It's kind of interesting. I like the switch-up around 1:50. Still, it's not my kind of thing. It's better than a lot of songs in this vein, I think, but I have not figured out how to listen to this type of music yet. DECENT. I am grateful in this moment for how chill this song is. For some reason I find myself wishing the tuba wasn't mostly on half notes. Whatever. May get points. DECENT.

Spain - Tortoise - Jetty: OK. I can get with this. Or perhaps more accurately, I can tolerate this. This feels like an electrojam though. Yeah not much changes throughout. Still, it's somewhat pleasant. So....DECENT. Oh hey there's a little guitar solo around 5:15. And it's....slow. It's like what I would solo if I was high and also could play guitar better. Anyway, this is all right but I don't feel justified giving it points over Albania. DECENT.

Montenegro - Yabadum - Cosmos: Respectable keyboard solo game. Yeah this was good enough to get points. DECENT. A port in a storm. DECENT.

Latvia - The Wombats - Jump Into the Fog: A worthy enough indie song. Not sure I'd really check out more from them or anything. DECENT. This is such an opening band. Or like a festival band who fills the hours til the big ones come out. Yeah. DECENT.

South Korea - FatRat - Fly Away: Better'n I thought. Not as good as Tortoise. DECENT. I, feel, the, same, about, this, one. DECENT.

Guinea-Bissau - Aurora - Runaway: Meh. DECENT. I mean it's better than some of the other decents probably. DECENT.

Isolated sentences for everything else:

India - DJ Ross - Emotion: Who let this guy out of the club?

Slovenia - Van Canto - Badaboom: Oh god they really should not have submitted the music video.

North Korea - Brothers Bright - Blood on My Name: It reminds me a bit of Imagine Dragons, but more enjoyable.

Bolivia - Sam Pinkerton - I Will Never: Except the lead singer is really warping her pronunciation and I am thinking this is an intentional copying of Of Monsters and Men.

Norway - Iced Earth - Wolf: God will this fucking drummer let off the double bass for a single fucking measure at least?

Australia - The Belligerents - Flash: Of all the bygone popular music trends to revive, was Gary Numan's sound really the best choice?

Vietnam - Jung In & Gary - Your Scent: Pleasant.

Taiwan - Scott Walker - Tilt: Trippy and unsettling.

Fiji - Triple Espresso - Godfather Theme: Compare with Estradasphere's "Super Buck II."

Azerbaijan - The Walking Who - Candy Flu: Huh.

Hong Kong - Demon Hunter - Heartstrings: Ah, Demon Hunter, the band I liked for a brief moment in high school because my car's CD player wasn't working and the only decent radio station in town was Christian rock.

DRC - Reverend - Raise a Little Hell: Timing on this one is bad.

Chad - The Erised - Interlude: What happened, did I miss it?

Ecuador - Syml - Where's My Love: Meh, part 2.

Kosovo - Bishop Nehru - SSS: Like it's actually just a loop of, let's count em, four measures.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (isolation #4) » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:38 am

Post by toolenduso »

Congrats Shaziro!

Sorry Parama and everyone else for not getting up the list of BOTB-eligible songs before the end of the contest. I'm gonna load the results for this contest into the wiki and then get rolling on that.

Return to “General Discussion”