Mayweather v McGregor

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (isolation #0) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Post by rb »

McGregor's going to win for many reasons. I doubt I'm wrong and if I am well time to re-evaluate everything I thought I knew about fighting.

McGregor training hard isn't what gives him the edge really. It's the fact that he's probably the hardest hitting southpaw Floyd will ever face, coupled with the age gap and that this is a rare fight where Floyd doesn't have the mental edge. Conor has literally nothing to lose in the fight - Floyd, no matter how cool he plays it off, has everything to be concerned about.

That may or may not make a difference but this is literally a no pressure contest for McGregor and a huge pressure for Floyd, and that's big.

McGregor would literally eat Floyd in MMA. I think it's reasonable to say Floyd will destroy him but to think Floyd would win in the MMA is pretty nuts.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (isolation #1) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:19 am

Post by rb »

I agree with panzer that a likely outcome is Floyd by decision

Conor won't win points and Floyd won't knock out Conor. It's really just a battle of attrition to see if McGregor will get the KO before decision time, and I think he will get the knock out.

McGregor's actual biggest strength is...nothing KTS has said. It's the fact he's actually a very cerebral fighter and he studies every opponent he's going to fight in great detail. Conor trains with fluidity and emphasizes being adaptive to whatever fighter he's against. All fighters do this to some extent but Conor really, really studies his fight matchups and I dare say that he's basically made his career off his punching power and his dedication to outstudying his opponent, and having that capacity to adapt to them.

Floyd's the exact opposite. He's got a premeditated fight plan that he executes with precision in every single fight. And this is a big part of what I think makes Conor a bad matchup for Floyd. He's 41, not getting any stronger or faster, and he's locked into his style. A style that yes has him at 49-0, but he struggles against southpaws and Conor hits harder than probably any of those Floyd has faced.

Conor is going to exploit Floyd in every way he'd seen on tape, and it's way too deep into Floyd's career to expect him to have changed enough that he won't respond to things exactly the way he always has.

On top of that, no disrespect to Floyd but I think Conor's chin is pretty robust, enough that he isn't going to be knocked out by anything Floyd throws at him unless Conor just really fucks up and Floyd's _ONLY_ way of winning is by decision as far as I'm concerned. Conor's been hit by harder hitters wearing smaller gloves, and he can take a punch. His chin is solid, that's not in danger.

It's a Conor knockout by round 3 imo.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (isolation #2) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Post by rb »

In post 43, PJ. wrote:TIL Conor is the only fighter who trains hard and watches tape. Apparently no one who's ever boxed Floyd has ever tried watching him fight before. And the greatest defensive boxer of all time never put on footage of any of his opponents. Just shut up dude.

Oh 1 more thing, Floyd has only won 2 fights by ko in 12 years. But apparently winning by decision is against the worst boxer he's ever faced is going to be some kind of weakness?

Just sit down, shut up and strap in for some point fighting bruh
Disagree all you want, but don't tell people to shut up. We're discussing a freaking sport, nothing personal so there's no need to be rude about it.

Anyway thanks for taking my points way out of context :)

Did I say no one watches tape? No. But obviously you're the one who doesn't follow the specifics of a particular fighter or sport here.

The "non-training" you say Conor does is exactly why he does it. He approaches fighting very differently to most fighters, with a focus on adaptation and fluidity. He does all this "weird" shit because he's not focussed on technical training, but on being adaptable. You can say it's bad if you want, but it's worked so far in his career and it's definitely something about Conor that differs from most fighters.

@hiplop: Floyd's punching power and speed isn't even that great anymore and Conor's been hit by much harder punchers is my point. Even Panzer agrees that Floyd isn't knocking out Conor any time soon.
Last edited by rb on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (isolation #3) » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Post by rb »

I agree the scope is less applicable because it's punches only, but it's that combined with Conor being southpaw, something Mayweather has struggled with in the past and the fact that with the bigger gloves and Mayweather's declining power compared to some of the people Conor has fought.

I think Conor will get the openings he needs, because Floyd makes mistakes against southpaws more often, and I think he's going to get rocked harder when he makes those mistakes than he ever has before, and he's older than ever.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #84 (isolation #4) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:14 pm

Post by rb »

I mean I think KTS has said some ridiculous stuff chamber but panzer isn't even remotely arguing in good faith.

He's literally telling people to shut up and calling people fucking idiots.
Last edited by rb on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #87 (isolation #5) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Post by rb »

In post 85, chamber wrote:He was. He stopped eventually. I don't think he started it.
Can you point out the part where somebody was apparently arguing not in good faith that makes it fine for him to tell people to shutup and call them fucking idiots?

I think KTS' posts were silly but plenty of people responded without being assholes to him. It's a debate about a freaking sport, there's no reason to be an asshole about even the most ridiculous opinions.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #92 (isolation #6) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Post by rb »

In post 90, PJ. wrote:
In post 87, rb wrote:
In post 85, chamber wrote:He was. He stopped eventually. I don't think he started it.
Can you point out the part where somebody was apparently arguing not in good faith that makes it fine for him to tell people to shutup and call them fucking idiots?.
The part where you're a fucking idiot.
Considering the arguments you've made, you basically think this based just on strawmans and misinterpretations of my points.

And again we are discussing a sport. There's nothing personal involved here at all. If you're getting angry about discussions like these (at a 14 year old no less) you should probably rethink how invested you are in it.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #97 (isolation #7) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Post by rb »

Er I already have money on McGregor, but that's pretty much irrelevant.

In a thread discussing a topic you don't have to put money on anything to discuss it. You're also wrong that Conor isn't more adaptable than other fighters. It's literally what he does, he changes his style to counter others. Other fighters do it to an extent but they mostly work on refining their own techniques/increasing physical fitness.

That's why Conor is playing what looks like grabass with people with his Ido stuff, it's just exercises to maintain fluidity and keep him in flow. Yes its applicability to boxing is less as Zoraster said but I think that Conor's boxing looks MUCH better than it has in the past and that his previous fights are not accurate representations of where he's at now - and I think he's the sort of fighter who actually can redefine his entire style of fighting in this timeframe, coupled with a number of other advantages he has.

He's at disadvantages too, but I think his advantages outweigh that.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #137 (isolation #8) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Post by rb »

vomitmods get all the best perks

Wondering if I should head down to the local or look for livestream.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #139 (isolation #9) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Post by rb »

I know there's a couple of places not far from me showing it live, but they're always packed and I feel like it's going to be like that today.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #147 (isolation #10) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:10 pm

Post by rb »

i tried 3 of them from reddit and i think(?) i'm on the PPV one?
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #154 (isolation #11) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:35 pm

Post by rb »

l0l my internet is dying

Australian Infrastructure/10

gotta stick to reddit streams :(

Cleverly guy got trashed
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #166 (isolation #12) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Post by rb »

rest in puppies mcgregor

his bank account will be very sad
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #175 (isolation #13) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Post by rb »

nah no change, i was just wrong. i know that. Conor's footwork disappointed me, I actually thought he'd convert to boxing better but yeah he pretty much just gassed himself on Floyd's tight defense and then got taken apart.

we're chatting on the discord and i said that if conor hasn't put it away in under 4 rounds then floyd takes it by TKO in there after i saw the first 1 and 1/2 rounds
Last edited by rb on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #216 (isolation #14) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Post by rb »

I agree with zor on the points. Boxing scoring is dumb.

Also KTS, I don't think Conor was really doing 'great' - he was doing okay. His footwork didn't improve much from what you see in MMA (I really thought he'd make more of an improvement) and everyone knew Conor was going to come out swinging and try to knock him out because it was his only path to victory, and Mayweather correctly predicted that Conor wouldn't have the stamina to go on for that long. I don't think it's a coincidence that Mayweather just played defensively, absorbed all of Conor's volume and then as soon as Conor started getting tired he just took him apart.

I definitely overestimated Conor's endurance and stamina for boxing, I didn't think he'd end up gassed by round 5 and by round 7 he was just totally gone.

Conor won rounds 1 and 3, 2 is debatable and could go either way. Anyway, I don't think it was a bad showing from Conor either but yeah I definitely felt the most disappointed in his overall stamina. Or it could just be that he put out way more volume than was reasonable.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #223 (isolation #15) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:22 am

Post by rb »

It all started with the great potato famine of 1916
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #249 (isolation #16) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Post by rb »

In post 237, Untrod Tripod wrote:am I the only person in the world who isn't a boxing/mma expert jfc
I (quite obviously) know pretty little about boxing ^_^

I follow MMA enough and have fought/trained in a few disciplines.
rb
rb
Survivor
rb
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #252 (isolation #17) » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Post by rb »

well when you watch it that's basically what it looks like

Return to “General Discussion”