How you came up with your username

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (isolation #0) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

In post 14, Aristophanes wrote:my hidden deepness
obligatory comment poking fun at this (in a friendly and lighthearted manner) :emoticon to convey such tone:
deranged and incoherent
?
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (isolation #1) » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:00 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

so raskolnikov is from dostoevsky's crime and punishment, basically a poor former student who gets lost in his overthinking and theorising and the gist of it is he tries to be his version of an ubermensch and fails. he kills someone to prove he's not beholden to common morality and rules, and considers the target as being such a drain on society he reasons its obviously a net good and the end justifies the means. he gets guilty, realises he isn't and can't be an ubermensch and he doesn't really believe all his justification so he confesses eventually, takes the punishment and reconciles with society. totally butchered that but whatever. the character really resonates with me, especially regarding not getting too detached from the world around you and acting in good faith and genuinely. also fits the mafia theme very well but I've used it before so that's coincidental. that said, would probably take the underground man's name instead if he had one.
deranged and incoherent
?

Return to “General Discussion”