I would love to discuss food

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Xine
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:07 am

I am responsible for feeding about 80 people a day, and often need new ideas for how to utilize leftovers, and just different sorts of things to mix it up.
For example, I have 4 gallons of leftover pulled pork in the freezer, but I bet my folks are tired of BBQ pulled-pork sandwiches, and Pork Fajitas/enchiladas, does anyone have any memories of comfort foods that may help with this stuff?

also leftover fish...I can only run so many fish cakes, and seafood alfredos, how about fish and olive quiche? does that sound terrible? any other ideas?
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Hoopla

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:12 am

A giant bowl of skittles would go a long way toward satisfying me. Did you know Australian, American and English skittles are all subtly different? I kind of assumed they'd all be the same, but I think American skittles are the worst for some reason. I need to figure out why.

Oso
Goon

Pronoun: He

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:16 am

Can't help with the fish but the pork.

It would be less problematic if it wasn't BBQed but, how about in a casserole? The idea that came to me off the top of my head was baked Mac&Cheese with perhaps a layer of the pork on top (or even on the bottom). Have to be careful of spices in the Mac&Cheese though so as not to conflict with the BBQ.

Um, a lasagna using the pulled pork as one of the layers instead of the more traditional lasagna ingredients?

Probably not too helpful as Pulled Pork does go best in sandwiches :D Hogie Roll+Pulled Pork+Mustard+Layer of Creamy(not vinegar) Coleslaw=Win.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:27 am

Now I am curious, are there more different skittles in other countries? now I want to taste them all side by side

Oso wrote: a lasagna using the pulled pork as one of the layers instead of the more traditional lasagna ingredients?

Probably not too helpful as Pulled Pork does go best in sandwiches :D Hogie Roll+Pulled Pork+Mustard+Layer of Creamy(not vinegar) Coleslaw=Win.

Golden.

what if I made a meat sauce marinara, using pulled pork, and served it over noodles with a garnish of parmesan cheese, would you eat it? If it works as spaghetti, it works for lasagna.

And I think my folks would be giddy to get that exact sandwich rather then the lettuce and tomato on a buttered toasted bun that I usually do.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Oso
Goon

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:33 am

Xine wrote:what if I made a meat sauce marinara, using pulled pork, and served it over noodles with a garnish of parmesan cheese, would you eat it? If it works as spaghetti, it works for lasagna.

And I think my folks would be giddy to get that exact sandwich rather then the lettuce and tomato on a buttered toasted bun that I usually do.

Yes, I would eat that. Marinara sauce using pulled pork rather than hamburger or Italian Sausage would be tasty I think.

Ugh, I'm not even sure I'd like to consider a pulled pork sandwich using those ingredients :P. Comes from being raised around folks that have roots in the South and Plains States. You'd get tarred and feathered suggesting a BBQ pulled pork sandwich using those ingredients.

[Add On Edit]I think I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow night or Tuesday now. Would do it tonight except I already have my mouth set for Polish Sausage, Sauerkraut and Boiled Potatoes.
Last edited by Oso on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:47 am

See, and this is why I started this thread, and also, could I time this to coincide with when I have leftover coleslaw...

Oso
Goon

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:49 am

Nice thing about stuff like pulled pork (and other things that can be frozen) is that you can "mix 'n' match" depending on what you have.

The idea about the marinara sauce was good. Also about the coleslaw. Can get two completely different meals based on what you have to go with it.

How about something the lines of a Tuna Casserole, substituting pork for the tuna? Might have to change the spices up a bit and maybe an ingredient or two but I could see something like that working as well.

[Edit]Still on the sandwich theme but a Philly Cheesesteak type sandwich using pork in place of the beef? (I'm assuming that the pork hasn't had the BBQ sauce added yet).
Last edited by Oso on Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

Uite
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:52 am

You could probably still make a hachee from the pork. Stew the meat, use plenty of onions, spice with cloves and laurels, and wine for extra taste. The end result should be a thick sauce. Easy to make in huge quantities and very good with potatoes or rice. Goes well with a sweet or somewhat sour vegetable or fruit dish. Applesauce is perfect. The coleslaw could work as well.
[ɜytə] — Ceterum censeo spumam delendam esse

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Another way to mix up the pork sandwich is with an Asian slaw. That would be nice.

Also depending on how elaborate you cooking is, you could use the pork to stuff Chinese steamed buns. You might need to cut the BBQ sauce with a little Hoisin sauce, but I think it could work. Steamed bread dough is really easy to make. Just flour, yeast and either milk or water with sugar and salt to taste. The time consuming part is the shaping and steaming. But they can be made ahead of time and reheat really well in a microwave wrapped in plastic.

I can also vouch for BBQ pork casserole. I used to cook it in college with macaroni, and American cheese with diced pork and BBQ sauce. Throw in sauted onions, peppers, mushrooms as you have them and it starts to come out more like a cheese steak casserole.

Good thing to do with fish is a Thai seafood curry. If you can get coconut milk on the cheap the only other ingredient you really need is Thai curry paste with is concentrated enough it goes a really long way. Toss in whatever vegetables you can get (peppers, eggplant, squash, bamboo shoots, watercress, onions, squash, zucchini, nappa cabbage etc.)

Something I like to do with any leftovers at home is fried rice. Works well with any protein or veggies and you can get really different flavors depending on what you add. My favorite is bacon asparagus. But fish works well, chicken pork anything is good. Seafood is seasoned nicely with Mirin if you can get any of that for cheap, cooking sherry or chinese cooking wine works good for heavier meats. Just make sure you add enough salt and sugar to it when youre finishing it off. If it doesnt taste good just keep adding sugar. If its too sweet balance it with salt/soy sauce. And don't skimp on the eggs. Fried rice is always better with eggs.

EDIT: Also if you ever have a large amount of fatty pork (shoulder, rump, belly etc) and need a new stew recipe I've got a really simple one that most people like. It's good with fried tofu cubes as well.
Last edited by shaft.ed on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ectomancer
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:43 pm

Well in some ways people may consider this to be one item, but if you really study the Gumbo, you'll find that they can all be quite different. The great thing about them is that, for the most part, what goes into them is whatever you have on hand. I like the link I'm posting for a few reasons. I'm part Acadian(Cajun) and Choctaw Indian on my Maternal Grandmother's side of the family and this makes some mention of the history of the dish. There are many recipes and I would take bits of what you like from each with what you have on hand and make your own unique version of a Southern favorite.

http://southernfood.about.com/cs/gumborecipes/a/gumbo.htm
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)

Oso
Goon

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Yes, gumbo is good :)

It seems that no matter what part of the country (or the world) you are in, they all have some sort of stew/soup based dish that really has no recipe. Many people might prefer some ingredients over another but aside from regional ingredients and differences in the way it is spiced, the idea is the same.

One of my favorites, that I latched on to in adulthood, is based around ramen. I love the stuff. You can use that as a base and depending on how you reduce it, it can be either a soup or a stew. And there is no limit on how you can add vegetable, spices, meat and what not and make it taste completely different. All starting from the plain old, ramen soup base.

You can do the same pretty much with any traditional soup/stew base.
-

ReaperCharlie
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Hoopla wrote:A giant bowl of skittles would go a long way toward satisfying me. Did you know Australian, American and English skittles are all subtly different? I kind of assumed they'd all be the same, but I think American skittles are the worst for some reason. I need to figure out why.

ORLY? Methinks I need to try Brit or Aussie skittles now.
Show

Thestatusquo
Shea

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Have you considered sushi? Most people get confused and think that sushi only involves raw fish, but really it just refers to the rice. I could see a BBQ pork roll (with complimenting veggies, maybe some cabbage?) being pretty tasty.
SleepyKrew: The dankest memer east or west of the Mississippi
only 5 slots left in Bad Idea Mafia!

bv310
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Pork fried rice, Some kind of Pork stew could be interesting depending on how you make it, maybe a Pork-based meatloaf.

What kind of fish is it? If it's a whitefish, breading and frying it is usually pretty well accepted. Any kind of chowder is usually pretty satisfying as well.

EDIT: Also, for the pork, you could always do a Hot Hamburger-type. Single slice of bread, some gravy and mashed potatoes on the side.
A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys

And I'm Randy Butternubs...

Nuwen
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:50 pm

You've already got the fajita thing going (try tacos too!). You could do more baja badassery with a black bean + pork stew in a truncheon of bread. Look for a good sofrito recipe for the stew base.

enchiladas sound so good right now.
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5

Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:05 pm

You fuckers have all made me hungry. I need some enchiladas now. And sushi, goddamn but I could go for sushi. I need a 24/7 sushi bar within staggering distance of my house. Also some money.

Miyu
Goon

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:10 pm

I only know more breakfast-y items.
For salmon specifically in regards to the fish. Works well in a Quiche. Same with a hash.
Hi.

DTMaster
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Stirfry, soups, chilis are ideas you can test out.

Do a variant of chicken pot pie, but with your pork/fish.

DizzyIzzyB13
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:17 pm

Why is there a food thread without a single post from JD?
Show

bv310
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Knight of Cydonia wrote:You fuckers have all made me hungry. I need some enchiladas now. And sushi, goddamn but I could go for sushi. I need a 24/7 sushi bar within staggering distance of my house. Also some money.

Want to go halvesies on a restaurant? Only problem is, we'd need two locations. I'm craving some good sushi right now. Might even cave and go buy the subpar junk they sell at the grocery store here.
A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys

And I'm Randy Butternubs...

Ythan
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:52 am

We covered this in Guys.
Get to know an Ythan.

Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:57 am

bv310 wrote:
Knight of Cydonia wrote:You fuckers have all made me hungry. I need some enchiladas now. And sushi, goddamn but I could go for sushi. I need a 24/7 sushi bar within staggering distance of my house. Also some money.

Want to go halvesies on a restaurant? Only problem is, we'd need two locations. I'm craving some good sushi right now. Might even cave and go buy the subpar junk they sell at the grocery store here.

Don't do it to yourself. If it's anything like store sushi here... yeah, just commit seppuku, it's quicker.
I've got... 59p in my back pocket.
So, that should buy us at least... some rice.

Thestatusquo
Shea

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:47 am

What effing snobs.

Nuwen
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:50 am

the local culture of my city has sort of embraced grocery store sushi, but only because the wegman's chains employ lower tier sushi chefs. it's called "wushi."

http://rocwiki.org/Local_Slang
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5

Thestatusquo
Shea

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:56 am

so I think I mean to call them pittsfords.

Next
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion