I would love to discuss food

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Xine
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #100  (ISO)  » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:04 am

I haven't yet, I might on sat. or next wend I'll let you know if I do, and how it comes out, thanks for the heads up
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

SFG
Goon

Post Post #101  (ISO)  » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:01 am

Xine wrote:
SFG wrote:My mom also suggests that fish chowder with some potatoes and such would work pretty well. The fish is substantial enough not to melt into the soup.

Served in a bread bowl on a wendsday afternoon=win. I'll need some chunks of vegitable...sugestions?

leeks or carrots tend to work well in creamy soups IME
The textwaller of d00m

Xine
Goon

Post Post #102  (ISO)  » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:51 pm

shaft.ed wrote:My favorite easy thing to cook is my red pork stew. It's simply 3 parts sugar, 3 parts Soy Sauce, 2 parts Chinese cooking wine, 1 part black vinegar (use balsamic), 1 part ketchup, 1 part water. Just make enough of that to cover your pork and let it go. i usually use country cut ribs, but proper ribs come out the best. It's the best on the second day, and I usually add a handful of zucchini or yellow squash while reheating. Steamed bread dips really well into it. And fried tofu cubes are nice as they soak up the broth.

How bad would it be to cut back on the sugar, (diabetics you know) I'm busting this out next week. What if I added a bit less sugar, but included honey, and/or pinapple (juice) do you think I could pass it off?
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Pronoun: He

Post Post #103  (ISO)  » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:19 pm

I've never tried it, but I think honey would be a better substitute. TBH, you could probably cut back on the sugar and the soy/sauce salt and water down the broth a bit. Or up the cooking wine.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #104  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:13 pm

SFG, the Chowder was a hit, but did not hold well for the evening meal... oh well. Shaft.ed, I haven't been able to do the stew, we haven't had dark vinagar and cooking wine both available in weeks :(.

Mariyta
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Best fish dish I've ever had.

Preheat oven to 400F. Butter baking dish. Rinse fish, pat dry, place in baking dish. Cut tomatoes into wedges and place around fish. Sprinkle with lemon juice, salt, pepper, and tarragon. Bake for 15 minutes. Yum.

You could probably eliminate the tarragon and still have it taste fantastic. The tomatoes and fish compliment each other beautifully.
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
-Susan Ertz

Whoever thinks grammar is not important, think again. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...

Post Post #106  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:01 pm

Mariyta wrote:Best fish dish I've ever had.

Preheat oven to 400F. Butter baking dish. Rinse fish, pat dry, place in baking dish. Cut tomatoes into wedges and place around fish. Sprinkle with lemon juice, salt, pepper, and tarragon. Bake for 15 minutes. Yum.

You could probably eliminate the tarragon and still have it taste fantastic. The tomatoes and fish compliment each other beautifully.

Which kind of fish?

Right now: Eating an italian panini, potato slices, water and a fresh cookie.

Delicious.
This account is no longer being used.

You want this one.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #107  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:53 pm

Oh hey there DH <3

DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...

Post Post #108  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:56 pm

Xine wrote:Oh hey there DH <3

Oh hai!

Send me some food sometime =P
This account is no longer being used.

You want this one.

Mariyta
Mafia Scum

Post Post #109  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:14 pm

DemonHybrid wrote:
Mariyta wrote:Best fish dish I've ever had.

Which kind of fish?

White fish works best. I use tilapia, as it's cheap and you can get it in those nice single frozen packs.
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
-Susan Ertz

Whoever thinks grammar is not important, think again. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Xine
Goon

Post Post #110  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:06 pm

I am so annoyed by those single packs in bulk... every Friday...uggg. but it is cheep, and good. a nice solid fish. Takes well to almost any kind of recipe.
just now constructing a recipe for my leftovers. starting with a nice bland lemon dill, baked fish, making patties, which I serve with noodles, and a creamy white sauce over the patty lightly and the noodles generously. Garnished with caramelized onion?, and lemon, of course.
The sauce flavor is where I'm stuck. dill, it would work, but getting old... tarragon, perhaps. +rosemary?
suggestions?

DH, any time your in my town, I'll cook for ya.

Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:49 pm

Anyone want to come live in my flat at Uni and cook for me? Basically living on basic pasta/rice/noodle variants.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Pronoun: They

Post Post #112  (ISO)  » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Dammit, I was going to say that. I can't cook, and my roomates gone, so all I have to live on for a weekend is beer.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

bv310
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:57 am

Sudo, if you tell us what you have on hand, we can tell you what to make. And don't say you can't cook. Everybody can cook, they just need to find their style.
A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys

And I'm Randy Butternubs...

Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #114  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:00 am

sourdough is a cheap solution if you want to always have fresh bread. anyone want to know how to make sourdough?
I'm a troop now

sirdanilot
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:34 am

'I can't cook'

Bullshit. Look for a recipe on line, buy ingredients, follow directions. If the recipe requires a) too many ingredients, b) skills you don't have, c) tools you don't have, d) is otherwise way too complicated, rinse and repeat until you find an easy recipe.

If you burn your food, or the recipe otherwise fails, go get chinese take away and try another recipe.

Sudy-Nym, are you mentally or physically handicapped? Otherwise, 'I can't cook' is a lie.

Here I will provide you with a recipe

pot of pasta sauce
mince meat
pasta
tools: pan, frying pan

Put water in pan, put in salt, close lid, fire on. When it bubbles, put in pasta. boiling time on package. mean while, heat mince meat until brown, add pasta sauce. drain pasta, mix with sauce eat

sirdanilot
Mafia Scum

Post Post #116  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:43 am

oh another one:

spaghetti 'carbonara' (to avoid being smacked by italians for not being authentic, there are "s)

pasta
egg
black pepper
bacon (yes I know it actually requires 'guanciale')
grated cheese

boil pasta. meanwhile, fry bacon in pan until done but not too crispy. in a bowl, beat egg. put in bacon, grated cheese (save some for garnish), pepper. drain your pasta, while still hot put in the egg sauce. you can do this on a very low fire for a couple of seconds to ensure the proper formation of the sauce. eat

pasta with cheese sauce

pasta
butter
flour
milk (make sure it's out of the fridge, not lukewarm)
grated cheese
variation ingredients: bacon, leek (yes it works!), or both. just fry these in a pan together and add to sauce together with the cheese.

boil pasta. in saucepan, melt butter , medium heat (you need a good amount of butter). now stand by with your whisk. put in a few tablespoons of flour and whisk like crazy... after a min or so, put in milk and whisk like crazy. you should have no lumps (but if you do, big deal...). sauce should thicken a bit. if it's too thin, don't worry, when it cools it thickens more. put in grated cheese (and bacon/leek), reheat slightly. drain pasta, pour sauce over pasta eat

And no, I don't know to make much more than pasta. I need to get some more variation I think. When I'm at my parents house I have all the tools and exotic ingredients to make really good foods (i've attempted korean, indian food, and other stuff as well like fish soup, pastry) but when I'm in my room near uni I simply don't have the tools or patience.

Oh another recipe:

Non artery-clogging baked fish

white, cheap blocks of fish out of the freezer (though you could do this with fresh and good quality fish and make it even more delicious)
egg
salt n pepper
breadcrumbs (you can buy a package of these. japanese type breadcrumbs are even better. they are called 'panko' and could be found in the asian section)

thaw fish (leave it out overnight, or carefully in the microwave). whisk the egg, mix it with salt and pepper. cover fish in egg. then pour on breadcrumbs. bake it in a good amount of butter until brown. eat.

even the cheapest of fish can be made delicious this way.

sirdanilot
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:49 am

Oh I actually think it's 'fried' fish, not baked. What is the difference between 'fry' and 'bake'?

Though I don't mean 'deep fry' (hence the name 'non artery clogging fish') as in, boil it in fat.

Mariyta
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:38 am

Here's a shameless plug for the blog that I've been working on. Upcoming recipes include pumpkin soup, pumpkin seed brittle, London broil w/ ale au jus, and rosemary potato onion bread (some of these I've made before. Others will be a first attempt and you get to hear about any epic failures). Check it out! http://www.culinaryexpedition.com/

Sirdan, frying is what you described. Baking is in the oven (and even less artery clogging). I have a pretty decent recipe for fake fried fish (meaning it's crusted, etc, but baked in the oven). I'll have to hunt it down.
-Susan Ertz

sirdanilot
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:06 pm

oh okay, so that's the difference...

Fish of these types are more suitable for frying:

Fish of these types are useful for oven baking:

iirc the english name of this fish is 'gurnard'. Here's an easy recipe.
1. Get fresh gurnards at the fish market or your fishmonger, on the same day you'll prepare them.
2. Pre-boil some potatoes. I find that when oven baking potatoes, they tend to take too much time to cook thoroughly, so pre-cooking should help with that. Slice them in wedges (it can help to use firmer potatoes, or not to cook all the way through, to avoid a crumby mess). Lay them in a greased oven... uh... casserole? dish?, anyway that.
3. your fish should be cleaned by the fishmonger (I haven't tried it, but I think you can leave the skin on, for extra taste. ask your fishmonger to leave it on when he cleans it). you can remove the bones if you want to, but de-boning is usually easier on cooked fish. rub it with lemon, salt, pepper, put it in the dish/casserole/whateveryoucallit
4. sprinkle with some tomato (you know, the one that says 'passata di pomodoro' the sieved tomato). unless you can get hold of really good in season fresh tomatoes. I usually find them to taste like water bombs.
chop some onion and garlic and put it in there. you can add herbs like basil, rosemary?, perhaps coriander (portuguese like fish+coriander), but make sure they are in the sauce to avoid burning. you can also add it later). you could also use pesto (basil paste)
5. bake and eat

easy one pot dish. just takes some planning because you need to make it the same day you do your groceries.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #120  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:03 pm

sirdanilot wrote:Sudy-Nym, are you mentally or physically handicapped? Otherwise, 'I can't cook' is a lie.

I've been told this before. And it's not like I haven't sat down with recipie books and tried to teach myself how to cook. I've yet to make anything remotely edible, though.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #121  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:04 pm

Also, for people trying to help me with recipies, I do appreciate it. However, right now, I have bread, eggs, mustard, and beer, and no money to go shopping, which might be a challenge.

Uite
Mafia Scum

Post Post #122  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Sudo_Nym wrote:I've been told this before. And it's not like I haven't sat down with recipie books and tried to teach myself how to cook. I've yet to make anything remotely edible, though.
Have you tried calling in a friend? Having someone there with you to teach you the basics and take over if you screw up can be very helpful. My parents taught me, and that's been a great way to get me started.
[ɜytə] — Ceterum censeo spumam delendam esse

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #123  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Sudo_Nym wrote:Also, for people trying to help me with recipies, I do appreciate it. However, right now, I have bread, eggs, mustard, and beer, and no money to go shopping, which might be a challenge.

tear a hole out of the middle of two slices of bread, put it in a frying pan, drop an egg in the middle. cook and flip.

serve with a mustard/beer sauce if you want, or just mustard. problem solved
I'm a troop now

VP Baltar
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #124  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:25 pm

or just make beer battered french toast....you could be on to something!

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion