Doesn't anybody READ anymore?

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Stefunny
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:11 am

Recently I have run out of literature that I don't find to be complete garbage. I'm not that picky, I just can't seem to find something new and too many of my friends are consumed with Twilight and Harry Potter. Drives me up the wall. So maybe I can get a few people to give me some good book suggestions. I'll read just about anything as long as it's fairly well written. Lately I've also been trying to compile a list of classic books that everyone should read at some point, so any suggestions for that would be good too.

Some of my favorites are:
Isabel Allende's "House of the Spirits"
Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" (And a few, but not all, of the sequels)
Hamilton's Commonwealth saga (Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained)
Most of the older Michael Crichton books. (Jurassic Park, Andromeda Strain, Congo and Prey even though it's a little newer)
Krakauer "Into Thin Air"
Preston "The Hot Zone"
I've also liked the little bit of Irving I've read so I have a few more of his books on my list.

And right now I'm reading "Dune" which I am very much enjoying, but I've heard really mixed reviews on the sequels.

Ideas?
Show

Drench
crucial waukesha voter

Pronoun: He

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:29 am

House of Leaves. Mark Z. Danielewski's debut.
join your union

Thestatusquo
Shea

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:35 am

Just finished Catch-22 and lolita. Definitely both worth your time if you haven't read them yet.
SleepyKrew: The dankest memer east or west of the Mississippi
only 5 slots left in Bad Idea Mafia!

Korts
Luddite

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:08 am

Have you tried Terry Pratchett yet? I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who haven't.
Fight me, dumbass.

Porochaz
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:33 am

I work in a book shop (well todays my last day) so I hope not! When I have time, Ill pur something more substantial down here, but try Mark Haddon, Curious Incident is my favourite book of all time, and David Nicholls, his new book One Day is stupidly popular. Then there is Steig Larsson and Jo Nesbo, reinvigorating the crime genre...
Scumchat - aimgochatroomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5

Semi Out of Retirement. Limited Time Only. Free Prozac for every Eggnogfas taken!

ortolan
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:47 am

Drench wrote:House of Leaves. Mark Z. Danielewski's debut.

I started reading House of Leaves after someone recommended it to me in #mafia

I really wish I had more perseverance with novels, for some reason I can't be bothered even with the few and far between which actually show potential.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.

Nuwen
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:16 am

I rekindled an old love for Haruki Murakami. Reading Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World right now.
So high, so low, so many things to know.
aim:gochat?roomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5

PranaDevil
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:20 am

Korts wrote:Have you tried Terry Pratchett yet? I'm constantly surprised by the number of people who haven't.

This.

It was only this year that I began reading Pratchett, despite telling myself I would for years after enjoying the Discworld games ages ago, then I saw a few of the TV shows that had been made of it, and have essentially decided to make a specific effort to pick up each and every Discworld related book around (which means I plan, at some point, on getting those rare ones worth a ton).

ortolan
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:21 am

there are rare discworld books around?

I remember burning out on discworld books somewhere around year 6/7 or so. They just started to get formulaic or something.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.

Faraday
...should I be here?

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:26 am

George RR Martin - A Game of Thrones. (first book in the a song of ice and fire series)

Also check out Neil Gaiman.
The Man

PranaDevil
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:45 am

ortolan wrote:there are rare discworld books around?

Yep, the diaries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_Diary

According to that, the Unseen University Diary costs about £110 (at the time was posted, so could be more now).

Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:53 am

Try nonfiction. It's a good change of pace.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough

Vi
Professor Paragon

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:09 am

My friend pressed First King of Shannara on me earlier this year. It was okay, but as I read through it I kept thinking I can write better stuff than this.

So A Man Called Intrepid is still the last thing I've read which I'd recommend, largely because it's nonfiction and thought-provoking given recent events.
Decisions have consequences.
ALL decisions have consequences.
YOUR decisions have consequences.

Quagmire
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:56 am

If you're looking for a dense read, my favorite is The Brothers Karamazov but right now I'm reading East of Eden by Steinbeck and it's really good. And I hated Of Mice and Men.

Cyberbob
Jrammar Nazi

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:27 am

atlas shrugged

also i'm going to do bloody murder on the next shithead manchild that says a song of ice and fire or anything by terry pratchett
tread softly because you tread on my dreams
daddy's little girl ain't a girl no more
"quasi-rape" --Vi
"real liberals" --Yos

xvart
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:36 am

You listed some SciFi so I'm going to throw out House of Sons by Alastair Reynolds. I read it last year and it was a really well written, imaginative, and ambitious book. It's a scifi book that doesn't come along very often. Also, if you like fantasy then Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson should be at the top of your list, too. My all time favorite book is Godfather by Mario Puzo, with the next four shifting in order: The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo, Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein, and Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club), and Gateway by Frederik Pohl.

Porochaz wrote:but try Mark Haddon, Curious Incident is my favourite book of all time

I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought Curious Incident was absolutely terrible. I felt it had no redeeming qualities.

Faraday wrote:George RR Martin - A Game of Thrones.

Yes. This.
I only read quote walls.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:52 am

Lord Gurgi wrote:Try nonfiction. It's a good change of pace.

This

Vi wrote:My friend pressed First King of Shannara on me earlier this year. It was okay, but as I read through it I kept thinking I can write better stuff than this.

Shannara series bored me. It was formulaic and tedious. Once you'd read two, you can guess the rest. Plot is kind of all those books are packing too: the writing isn't great.

Cyberbob wrote:atlas shrugged

Too Anvilicious for me. I really enjoyed the start. Once "that guy" gets involved (if you've read it you know who I mean), it just gets so tedious and so pretentious. I'd recommend playing Bioshock and reading Cliff Notes instead.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts

Vi
Professor Paragon

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:03 am

Oman wrote:
Too Anvilicious for me. I really enjoyed the start. Once "that guy" gets involved (if you've read it you know who I mean), it just gets so tedious and so pretentious.
Ayn Rand in a nutshell (minus the enjoying at the start), Y/N?

Shannara series bored me. It was formulaic and tedious. Once you'd read two, you can guess the rest. Plot is kind of all those books are packing too: the writing isn't great.
Sounds about right.
Decisions have consequences.
ALL decisions have consequences.
YOUR decisions have consequences.

bv310
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:28 am

Started reading S.M. Stirling's "Dies The Fire". Pretty good for alternative history. Also finally started reading Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Worth the effort.
A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys

And I'm Randy Butternubs...

Stefunny
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:31 am

The amount of responses to this thread makes me so happy! Yay for more books to read.

Lord Gurgi wrote:Try nonfiction. It's a good change of pace.
Into Thin Air is a true story about an Everest climb gone bad. The author actually was one of the climbers. It's absolutely fantastic. Any suggestions on more nonfiction?

Quagmire wrote:If you're looking for a dense read, my favorite is The Brothers Karamazov but right now I'm reading East of Eden by Steinbeck and it's really good. And I hated Of Mice and Men.

I tried to read Of Mice and Men once and wasn't really a fan.

Hasn't Terry Pratchett read something fairly popular? The name is so familiar. Maybe I've just looked at the books a few times. Is there a book in particular I should start with?
Show

chesskid3
Princeton's Pride

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:43 am

Fuck George R. R. Martin.
That fat bastard is going to die with that series unfinished
Papa Zito - "Your signature has been blanked...we remove signatures at a users request if said signature references them, or if it quotes from a thread in the Speakeasy, which is not allowed without permission of the poster"

Korts
Luddite

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:33 am

also i'm going to do bloody murder on the next shithead manchild that says a song of ice and fire or anything by terry pratchett

atlas shrugged is bad literature. its only concievable value is in its philosophy, which doesn't require all those pages to explain.
Fight me, dumbass.

Korts
Luddite

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:38 am

Stefunny wrote:Hasn't Terry Pratchett read something fairly popular? The name is so familiar. Maybe I've just looked at the books a few times. Is there a book in particular I should start with?

He wrote the Discworld series. It's around 40 novels all in all. I suggest you start off with a one-off like Going Postal or The Truth, or Pyramids, or Thief of Time. They're somewhat better written than some of the early ones, and the concept of the Discworld is much better developed.
Fight me, dumbass.

brokenscraps
Goon

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:44 am

Stefunny wrote:Lately I've also been trying to compile a list of classic books that everyone should read at some point, so any suggestions for that would be good too.

Not sure if you'd like all of these, but they're a couple of canon-ready books/authors that I've enjoyed in the past:

Virginia Woolf - Mrs Dalloway
Thomas Pynchon - The Crying of Lot 49
Gabriel García Márquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude
Jean Paul Sartre - Nausea
Kenzaburō Ōe - Teach Us To Outgrow Our Madness (a collection of four of his short stories, and one of the stories in that collection)
Franz Kafka - The Trial
Aldous Huxley - Brave New World
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
Jack Kerouac - On The Road

If you like Crying of Lot 49 and have the time to read a fat book and don't mind it being confusing at pretty much all times give the Illuminatus! trilogy a go.

If you like sci-fi you've probably read his stuff already, but if you haven't then you should read some Philip K. Dick, very good.

Thestatusquo
Shea

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:51 am

Terry Pratchet sucks. Like, really sucks.
only 5 slots left in Bad Idea Mafia!

Next
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion