Doesn't anybody READ anymore?

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Mr. Flay
Metatron

Pronoun: He

Post Post #2225  (ISO)  » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 am

Quantum Thief just gets fucking weirder and weirder. I appreciate his commitment to No Infodumps Ever.
Retired as of October 2014.

Rhinox
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2226  (ISO)  » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:22 pm

In post 2225, Mr. Flay wrote:Quantum Thief just gets fucking weirder and weirder. I appreciate his commitment to No Infodumps Ever.

Yep after a while I figured maybe not being able to comprehend the technology was kinda the whole point

Maruchan
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2227  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:24 am

Just read Ready Player One. It was great. I hate not getting to read more sam/wade adorableness. Books always end right as the secondary romance theme comes to a close. Grrrrrrr
Show

Equinox
Shot Count

Post Post #2228  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:06 am

I bought a book and got it signed by the author at the Arlington County Fair:

Specters Anonymous, by Phil Budahn

I bought a couple of books during Toronto Meet:

The Marrow Thieves, by Cherie Dimaline
The Night Shift: Real Life in the Heart of the ER, by Brian Goldman

I bought more books yesterday while hanging out with scummers in DC:

Mina, by Kim Sagwa
The Corpse Washer, by Sinan Antoon

There is a book waiting for me on reserve at the library:

Viet Nam: A History from the Earliest Times to the Present, by Ben Kiernan

I am in the middle of reading Also Human: The Inner Lives of Doctors, by Caroline Elton. I am hoping to finish next week, but it depends on how much time I spend waiting for and on trains.

Too many books. All of these except the last two, which are lent by the library, have been impulse purchases.
revise and resubmit

Egix96
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2229  (ISO)  » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Today I finished People's Republic by Robert Muchamore, the first book from Cherub Series 2. I bought it for my birthday last year thinking it was the actual first Cherub book... :roll: Not gonna spoil too much, but I will say that, for a book from a series that's apparently targeted at the 12-14 age range, it does get quite a lot of "crap past the radar" as a certain highly addictive website puts it...

Anyway, now that that's done, I ought to finish off Ryan Graudin's Wolf By Wolf sometime soon. I read the first ~50% of it while on holiday last month.
My wiki page!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

shortaru
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2230  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:26 am

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I enjoyed reading The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly.

It's not an especially long book, only about 400 pages... but he does have other novels, as well.
Does this post forward a scum win con, or do you just think I'm strange?

Strange != Scum

ChibiBear
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #2231  (ISO)  » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:05 am

I recently started reading again after years without touching a single book (textbooks and manga aside).

Does anyone here have a goodreads account? I'm looking to add some people :D

I've only read 2 of her books so far but I'm already a big fan of Sharon Bolton's thrillers, they're absolutely fantastic!

I'm also loving Lemony Snicket's 'All the Wrong Questions' series even though I'm way older than the target audience.
Boop.

Errantparabola
Composed.

Post Post #2232  (ISO)  » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:40 am

I might make a goodreads account but I've always been too lazy!

Does anyone have any recommendations for biographies or memoirs? They're my favorite type of book (unsure if they'd be classified as a genre but if so, pretend I used that word). I'm halfway through The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace. Also intending on reading So Much I Want To Tell You, which is a book by a youtuber I don't know much about, but the subject matter speaks to me. I'm looking into getting A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and The Reason I Jump.
Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops. --implosion

Killthestory
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2233  (ISO)  » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:51 am

In post 243, smargaret wrote:The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - especially since you liked Allende. It's magical realism, books, and the Spanish Civil War all rolled into one.

this seems to be the only mention of shadow of the wind. if you haven't read it, drop everything. this book is amazing. im currently on the quest to purchase it in spanish

Elbirn
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2234  (ISO)  » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:55 pm

In post 2231, ChibiBear wrote:Does anyone here have a goodreads account? I'm looking to add some people :D

Uhh I'm probably "Elbirn" on there as well but I never use nor update it but maybe I should, here there you go no one is left out many friends yes good

I saw on Netflix the much hyped show "haunting of hill house" and was advised by a close friend to just read the book because the show is pop culture garbage with nothing related to it so I'm about to work on that, I bought it the other day but never got to it

Yay reading good boy intellectual I am

Killthestory
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2235  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:01 pm

just read whale talk after i am the messenger, and i'm really starting to enjoy these sort of books. if you guys haven't, you should definitely pick them up!

Egix96
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2236  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:13 pm

My grandpa gave me these two books yesterday. Early Christmas presents ;)

- Don't Get Me Started, by Mitchell Symons

- Time of the Assassins, by Alastair MacNeill, based on a concept by MacLean

Also, for the record, I still haven't got around to continuing with Graudin yet... :roll:
My wiki page!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Previous
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion