Doesn't anybody READ anymore?

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
AniX
UCalled

Post Post #2175  (ISO)  » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:52 am

In post 2166, inte wrote:im about halfway through the first book of outlander

the tv show is a lot easier to follow lol

Really? I'm reading through the series on and I find the books are MUCH more easier to follow because it has room to not need to gloss over things.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK! PLAYS BY SENSE OF SMELL! ONE TRUE ADMIN OF MAFIASCUM! LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR! RADICAL SEX-NEGATIVE ASEXUAL! KING SCAR APOLOGIST! FOE OF SKIRTS AND DRESSES!

nancy
Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: She

Post Post #2176  (ISO)  » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:01 am

homestuck
Being scum is absolute freedom ~ Nacho

:2017-2018:
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?

Katyusha
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2177  (ISO)  » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 am

In post 2176, nancy wrote:homestuck

i'm so sorry

Rhinox
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: He

Post Post #2178  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Just fyi, Tor's ebook of the month club is back. If you've ever wanted an excuse to start Wheel of Time, the book for this month is Eye of the World. Must get it by 2/16.

CooLDoG
Wanker

Post Post #2179  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:27 am

Been reading some Wendell Berry recently. Specifically his short stories on the civil war to wrold war II. It really does capture the essence of rural America and the people that live there. A+

A great collection that a friend gave me is highly recommended for the quality of the binding, printing, and organization of the text: https://www.amazon.com/Wendell-Berry-Wi ... 1598535544
after a wank.

Killthestory
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2180  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:44 pm

In post 2169, zoraster wrote:i'm about 90% through with oathbringer and not digging it as much as the previous two, but I'll withhold judgment until I'm done and can consider.

the end is worth it.

took me a lot longer to finish this one, but i'm glad i did

Creature
Transparent

Post Post #2181  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:45 pm

I've read 47 books during 2017. I have faith I'll break the record this year. I've finished 8 so far.
Make mafiascum great again

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #2182  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:34 pm

yeah, i finished it a bit ago. It was a lot weaker than the first two books I thought, but it was definitely still worth reading.

Killthestory
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2183  (ISO)  » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:35 am

yeah, there were moments where i just completely lost interest, but it still holds up to the rest of the series and sets up the next book well.

Rhinox
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2184  (ISO)  » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:10 pm

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #2185  (ISO)  » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:07 pm

seems like an inconvenient medium to read it on, but whatever works!

brassherald
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2186  (ISO)  » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:18 pm

I remember when I read the Name of the Wind T-shirt Edition.

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #2187  (ISO)  » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:04 pm

I just spent the past three or so hours reading this Reddit NoSleep story the Left/Right Game and it was GREAT, I couldn't put it down once I got through the first part.

The concept is a group of people in a convoy of cars driving deeper and deeper into an alien world where basically the only rule is they have to make a left turn, then a right turn, then etc. It sounds silly but the author makes it totally work. It's not like normal NoSleep stuff where it's just an excuse to write disturbing and gory imagery.

It felt highly reminiscent of Annihilation, in that a group ventures into a realm where the normal laws of reality don't apply and increasingly bizarre and horrific things happen and pick them off. It's super creepy in parts, but also very thoughtful, twisty and well-written, not like NoSleep's usual. And it has a great ending. Totally worth reading if you like to be creeped out. Only warning is it is LONG (I think I read the wordcount in total is over 60,000).

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/commen ... me_part_1/
Get to know a Cakez!

Creature
Transparent

Post Post #2188  (ISO)  » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:15 pm

I didn't mean to buy a book this holiday...
Make mafiascum great again

StefanB
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2189  (ISO)  » Tue May 01, 2018 2:13 am

Creature: Does somethink like this ever work??

Draynth
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2190  (ISO)  » Wed May 02, 2018 6:58 am

In post 2187, SirCakez wrote:I just spent the past three or so hours reading this Reddit NoSleep story the Left/Right Game and it was GREAT, I couldn't put it down once I got through the first part.

The concept is a group of people in a convoy of cars driving deeper and deeper into an alien world where basically the only rule is they have to make a left turn, then a right turn, then etc. It sounds silly but the author makes it totally work. It's not like normal NoSleep stuff where it's just an excuse to write disturbing and gory imagery.

It felt highly reminiscent of Annihilation, in that a group ventures into a realm where the normal laws of reality don't apply and increasingly bizarre and horrific things happen and pick them off. It's super creepy in parts, but also very thoughtful, twisty and well-written, not like NoSleep's usual. And it has a great ending. Totally worth reading if you like to be creeped out. Only warning is it is LONG (I think I read the wordcount in total is over 60,000).

Probably already read it but the series about the park ranger is fantastic
"just got my hands in cooking! feel free to give me suggestions. So far completed: noodle in soup, noodle stuffed clam over noodle, red white and bluedle american noodle, hot brown noodle"

Brand New, Improved, Totally Awesome GTKAS

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #2191  (ISO)  » Wed May 02, 2018 3:28 pm

In post 2190, Draynth wrote:
In post 2187, SirCakez wrote:I just spent the past three or so hours reading this Reddit NoSleep story the Left/Right Game and it was GREAT, I couldn't put it down once I got through the first part.

Probably already read it but the series about the park ranger is fantastic

I have. I thought it was very creepy but it didn't really have a plot.
Get to know a Cakez!

Rhinox
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2192  (ISO)  » Wed May 16, 2018 10:45 pm

Oathbringer was pretty good I think. First 3 parts were solidly ok, 4th part got all cosmerey and really lost the momentum imo. But then the last part is so much so fast. Its on par at least with the other 2 stormlight books for me and might actually be my favorite so far maybe.

Starbuck
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2193  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:47 am

I've been reading quite a bit lately. I just finished a re-read of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Prior to that I went back to finally finish the first Hitchhiker's Guide. I couldn't put down the new Star Wars: Thrawn novel by Timothy Zahn, and I've also conquered Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey earlier this year, as well as Storm Front by Jim Butcher.

On top of regular books, I've been on a bit of a graphic novel spree and/or going back to ones that I knew I needed to read like the entirety of Ed Brubaker's The Death of Captain America and Captain America: Winter Soldier. I'm working through the Kamala Khan run of Ms. Marvel to catch up to present day. I also have quite a bit of comics on my pull list that I need to get around to reading.
<3 Kise, Reck, dram, tans, & Kats <3

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #2194  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:53 am

In post 2192, Rhinox wrote:Oathbringer was pretty good I think. First 3 parts were solidly ok, 4th part got all cosmerey and really lost the momentum imo. But then the last part is so much so fast. Its on par at least with the other 2 stormlight books for me and might actually be my favorite so far maybe.

Unfortunately I liked it substantially less than the second book and somewhat less than the first. Still a solid book, but I felt like it kind of got bogged down in places.

brassherald
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2195  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:45 am

I just finished American Gods, finally. (I literally only started reading Neil Gaimann this year).

I liked it, it was great. I just wish I had read it a while back).

In post 2193, Starbuck wrote:I've been reading quite a bit lately. I just finished a re-read of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Prior to that I went back to finally finish the first Hitchhiker's Guide. I couldn't put down the new Star Wars: Thrawn novel by Timothy Zahn, and I've also conquered Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey earlier this year, as well as Storm Front by Jim Butcher.

Hitchiker's Guide is really good for the most part.

Also, the Dresden Files only gets better after Storm Front. I really loved Skin Game, especially, which is the latest of them.

I'm actually on the lookout for some more series which is more mystery based, but might have found it now in the Peter Grant series. Has anyone read those?

StefanB
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2196  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:55 am

Not completly, it is worth a look.
What I also like if you don't mind urbanfantasy is October Day by Seanan McGuire, it is told from the Point of View of a chancelling (the character has a knack of getting into a lot of trouble) can be dark some times.

brassherald
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2197  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:59 am

I'd say Dresden is Urban Fantasy, so I'll check that out. Thanks.

skitter30
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2198  (ISO)  » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:27 pm

In post 2195, brassherald wrote:I'm actually on the lookout for some more series which is more mystery based, but might have found it now in the Peter Grant series. Has anyone read those?

They're pretty good. They were def inspired by Dresden. Each book is kinda procedural (ie has a central mystery to solve) but the author has been building up a larger plot/arc in the background of the books.

MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #2199  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:03 pm

So turning to the literary finest of Mafiascum to search for some author suggestions.

I'm looking for modern literature with a Lovecraft bent.

Doesn't have to be any particular genre (Horror is obv but Mystery / Sci Fi / Fantasy all can be serviceable genres).

Currently working through the Stross Laundry Files series. And in other media loved the subtle undertones in Season 1 of True Detective.

So ... any hot tips my savvy brethren?
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion