How many games do you own?

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:02 pm

Post by jeep »

17 is clearly not correct.

-JEEP
BrianMcQueso
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
BrianMcQueso
My Wit is Broken
My Wit is Broken

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:11 pm

Post by BrianMcQueso »

jeep wrote:17 is clearly not correct.

-JEEP
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what you answer because the question was crazy to begin with. This way, you don't have to carry on a half-hour conversation with no end in sight.

Lying is always the best policy 8)
"Only a fool quotes himself." -BrianMcQueso
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:29 pm

Post by jeep »

No, he wanted to know something... I'm just not sure what. He knows I play many games.

-JEEP
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:11 pm

Post by Phoebus »

the question was crazy to begin with.
Explain.
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:58 pm

Post by Stewie »

When someone asks me how many games I own, I look for things that the gaming equipment's name is related to the game itself. For example, if you own "Clue," That's one game, because Clue is the name of the thing that you buy, and the name of the game. However, card is just equipment to play games, not a game. It doesn't count, not even as one. Conbinations don't count either. If you do, you are just making things too complicated (same reason as to why cards don't count). It's complicated, yes, but if you are asked, then just use your perception of what he meant to answer the question.
how do you define a sport.
The following conditions must be met:
1. Two and only two sides competing against each other in each match.
2. Must require a minimum physical movement. A good guideline would be if you are swaeating when you are done, it's a sport, given that it meets the other condidions.
3. There must be a score for each side which changes each time an event happens. For example, each time the puck crosses the goal line in ice hockey, it's a goal, which increases the scoring team's score by 1.
There are probably more, and these might be flawed... inform me if so.
halo freak
halo freak
Goon
halo freak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:24 pm

Post by halo freak »

you don't own those games, but only have access to the. Sort of like how you have access to every book in a library but don't own any of them.
I would consider paying something, taking it home and keeping it forever, owning.

With the internet, you don't own the games on those sites people chose to let you access them for free. Many sites you have to pay to play. And having i contract with an ISP doesn't mean that you own anything. You are renting access, like in a library you might have to pay to be a member but the rest is free unless you want to buy a book off them.
Become a replacement for Italian Mafia [b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2479&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=adecd9ea5f99eb6ee344bd18c4bf4de0]HERE[/url][/b]

*smacks Cadmium with stick for fun*
- Phoebus
Narninian
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Narninian
Contracts STDs
Contracts STDs

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:43 pm

Post by Narninian »

Stewie wrote:When someone asks me how many games I own, I look for things that the gaming equipment's name is related to the game itself. For example, if you own "Clue," That's one game, because Clue is the name of the thing that you buy, and the name of the game. However, card is just equipment to play games, not a game. It doesn't count, not even as one. Conbinations don't count either. If you do, you are just making things too complicated (same reason as to why cards don't count). It's complicated, yes, but if you are asked, then just use your perception of what he meant to answer the question.
how do you define a sport.
The following conditions must be met:
2. Must require a minimum physical movement. A good guideline would be if you are swaeating when you are done, it's a sport, given that it meets the other condidions.
3. There must be a score for each side which changes each time an event happens. For example, each time the puck crosses the goal line in ice hockey, it's a goal, which increases the scoring team's score by 1.
So track&Field events wouldnt be defined as sports. Do running/swimming/gymnastics/ most olympic events count as sports? An honest question..

As far as cards. I consider Spades as a game, but.. I would never refer to it as a game I own. I would list 'Playing Cards' as a single entry if somebody asked me for a list of what games I have, although I agree that it is equipment rather than a game. Kind of a silly question to ask - but I would think your friend was looking for a ballpark figure based on commerical game sets/ game equipments.
The extra in is for /in
halo freak
halo freak
Goon
halo freak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:13 am

Post by halo freak »

If you have a computer game, just the disk and instructions, is it a game if you don't have a computer (or relevant platform) and is the platform on by its self a game, part of a game or not a game at all.

Do you have to own a compute rand a computer game disk for you to be able to call it a game.
Become a replacement for Italian Mafia [b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2479&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0&sid=adecd9ea5f99eb6ee344bd18c4bf4de0]HERE[/url][/b]

- Phoebus
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:19 am

Post by Phoebus »

Chess?
THey have international federations, lots of money, tournaments...
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
Dmi
Dmi
Goon
Dmi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:44 am

Post by Dmi »

And if you think really hard, you could sweat at the end. :D
Sketchwick
Sketchwick
Goon
Sketchwick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:31 am

Post by Sketchwick »

Defining sports...
Stewie wrote: The following conditions must be met:
Now if you counted orgasms as points you could easily turn sex into a sport if it weren't for that pesky "two AND ONLY TWO" clause...

I discussed this whole topic with jeep after he directed me to this post...really the question is not about games at all but the ridiculous (American?) idea of ownership. It would have been like asking a Native American how much land he owns...

sketchwick
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:47 am

Post by Stewie »

So track&Field events wouldnt be defined as sports. Do running/swimming/gymnastics/ most olympic events count as sports? An honest question..
Not under my definition. They are a good test to see who is the best at something physical, but I wouldn't say they are sports... more like "events."
Chess?
There's no scoring system in chess in which you can tell midgame who is winnning, and I haven't seen many people sweating while playing chess, unless the heat was on too high. :)
Now if you counted orgasms as points you could easily turn sex into a sport if it weren't for that pesky "two AND ONLY TWO" clause...
Well, that's not where the flaw is... you could turn it into a sport that way because you can have just two teams competing against each other, with unlimited numbers of players in each side. However, how would you cound orgazms? I heard woman are really good at faking them, so it would be hard to keep an accurate score.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:32 pm

Post by mathcam »

Well, the question was definitely ill-defined, I agree. But you could have come up with a close approximation to the answer he was looking for by answer the number of boxes you have in your game closet. Even then there are certainly ambiguities, but if you picked one way or another, you'd get pretty close to the number he was looking for, even if he didn't know how to accurately describe what he was looking for.

Incidentally:
Stewie wrote:There's no scoring system in chess in which you can tell midgame who is winnning
This is only mildly accurate. First of all, there is certainly a theoretical one. Second of all, the software for the most advanced chess programs have a very accurate one of these programmed in. A first approximation of this is the typical "point values" for the pieces, but the algorithm gets significantly more intricate.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:18 pm

Post by Save The Dragons »

:P This thread gives me an idea for my philosophy assignment...'What is a game?'
Phoebus wrote: Chess?
THey have international federations, lots of money, tournaments...
I'd say that Bridge, Magic: The Gathering, and math competitions might fall under that category. I'm a mathlete, but not an athlete.
Sketchwick wrote:I discussed this whole topic with jeep after he directed me to this post...really the question is not about games at all but the ridiculous (American?) idea of ownership. It would have been like asking a Native American how much land he owns...
Not entirely American. It's most of the world under European influence. I think. Please don't yell at me if I'm wrong.

If Basketball had three teams instead of two, would that suddenly make it not a sport just because it's played on a triangle?
Last edited by Save The Dragons on Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmi
Dmi
Goon
Dmi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:29 am

Post by Dmi »

STD, were you in MathCounts?
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:37 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

No...I joined the math team because my friends did it, and we mostly do state competitions. I'm the (insert athlete who sits on the bench except for one game because they suck) of mathletes.
Dmi
Dmi
Goon
Dmi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:45 am

Post by Dmi »

Oh. I'm the youngest kid who does better than everyone else except the seniors.

Our recruitment stuff sucks. I can't imagine how horrible my team will be next year. And I can't even imagine what it'll be like when I'm a senior. We've got no freshman and the majority of the team are juniors and seniors.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:15 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Then there's the Crawfordian definition: Any form of entertainment which is open-ended, goal oriented, and which has perceived interactivity (paraphrased). Therefore a challenge/puzzle lacks perceived interactivity and a toy lacks goal-orientedness. That leaves sports squarely in the realm of challenges, puzzles, and games, of a decidedly physical nature. If our entertainment lacks open-endedness it can be any number of things, none of which really relate to this discussion.

Generally when people ask me questions that I feel are ridiculous, I give an equally ridiculous answer. For instance, in JEEP's situation, I probably would give an estimate in cubic feet. This usually ends up being nearer the mark for my interegator than it would be for me.

I tend to think that nobody "owns" games. Games are just rituals that have high memetic fitness. You might as well say you own a holiday. On the other hand there is ownership of equipment, or sometimes the rights to the equipment for a game. Mmm...hairsplitting.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Sketchwick
Sketchwick
Goon
Sketchwick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:15 am

Post by Sketchwick »

People frequently get annoyed with me when I'm too literal, this conversation jeep posted reminded me of that. I wanted to look at from a point of view other than my own, so I reviewed the convesation again, and I came up witha conclusion...
MeMe wrote:Wow - I think you should consider yourself lucky that he didn't punch you in the face.
jeep wrote:?? Why? I was just trying to get enough information to answer the question.

We get along well, I just wanted to figure out what he wanted.

-JEEP
I disagree. I think right when you said you wanted to scream, jeep, that you lost track of what he wanted and turned the conversation into "what is a game."

*I* certainly can't blame you for this, I think "what is a game" is a lot more interesting than "how many games does jeep own" but I don't think you can claim to have the original question as your priority throughout the conversation. Does that warrant a punch in the face? Maybe from MeMe...

sketchwick
Sketchwick
Sketchwick
Goon
Sketchwick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:24 am

Post by Sketchwick »

Oh I forgot to address this...
Stewie wrote: Well, that's not where the flaw is... you could turn it into a sport that way because you can have just two teams competing against each other, with unlimited numbers of players in each side. However, how would you cound orgazms? I heard woman are really good at faking them, so it would be hard to keep an accurate score.
I belive Kinsey used (for his research) equipment to monitor orgasms in men and women. This is a purely biological definition of orgasm, basically defined as an involuntary contraction of muscles, and YES men CAN have an orgasm without ejaculating.

I guess my mind just rejected the idea of two people competing against the third in a threesome, but it certainly could work. So there you have it, the sport of sex.

And for those of you that were unlcear: you score a point when THE OTHER PERSON has an orgasm, not you.

sketchwick
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:10 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

Hmm, you managed to annoy him and twist the intentions of his question in such a way as to completely waste his time and yours in a nonmalicious and incredibly unaware way.

That is quite interesting.

Imagine a conversation like this,

Jeep: Are you scum?
IS: Yes, however I am also a doctor, a cop, 3 townies, a married man, a liar, an egotist, a cult leader and annoyed at you, what else would you want to know?
Jeep: Are you scum in THIS game,
IS: Which game are you refering to? The thread in which we are talking, or the mindgame I'm having with you, or that shogi game we're playing in the Mish Mash thread?
Jeep: Mini#7482 are you scum?
IS: Depends how you define the word "scum"
Jeep: a member of a secret group of people who kill at night in Mini#7482
IS: Well inherently there's a flaw in your question, if I were to tell you that I am scum, I would not be secret would I? It's like me making the statement that I'm a liar, you won't force me into a contradiction so easily old man!
Jeep: Did you make a nightkill?
IS: Good heavens no! I spend my nights drinking coffee and making sure that poor innocent babies won't go to waste, I sautee them with a special sauce.
Jeep: I'm talking about night in this game, the PHASe night.
IS: which game are we talking about again?

Such a conversation would doubtlessly end with Jeep driving over to IS's house and stabbing IS with a incredibly scary looking knife in an uncomfortably looking way.

It seems to your poor coworker that you knew the intent of his question all along because the intent of his question seemed very simple to him(otherwise he would not have posed it in such a manner), then your constant dodging and clarification seemed to him to have the intention of pointlessly hassling him, as if you enjoyed playing around with his question and chewing him up. Basically it seemed to him probably that you were messing around with him for no reason.

I also challenge anyone to an online game of bridge.(Partner needed)
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:02 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

yeah, I definitely read that as "I'm a jerk and being overly smart about answering the question", mostly because my friends and I do that to each other a lot.

and Halo, do you own a deck of cards? :wink:
Permanent V/LA.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:42 am

Post by mathcam »

Pooky, do you play on OKBRidge? Or did you just mean Yahoo! games or something?

Cam
halo freak
halo freak
Goon
halo freak
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:49 am

Post by halo freak »

MOS yes i do several in fact, why?

- Phoebus
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:48 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

usually I play on BridgeBase, which has a GREAT imp system and some solid competition though its occasional run of nuts.

Unfortunately it's freeware that's windows only :(

I can play on another thingamabob as long as it's free :) When ya free Cam?(Does the wife play?)
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee

Return to “General Discussion”