Movie Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Porkens
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4325  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:05 pm

I just watched Mean Dog Blues for the first time - it's great, especially if you like watching dog actors

Psyche
mr. personality

Pronoun: He

Post Post #4326  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:14 am

reviews for venom are very negative what a surprise
"Listen well - to be human is to be an eternal wanderer. It's up to you to discover the new vistas of life. No one else will clear the way!"

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4327  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:04 am

In post 4325, Porkens wrote:I just watched Mean Dog Blues for the first time - it's great, especially if you like watching dog actors

Have you seen Ruff Ruff Ref yet? I hear it's Oscar worthy
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

GTKAS Jiffy! (Part 1) || GTKAS Jerfy (The Sequel!) || How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart) || In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

Porkens
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4328  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:13 am

I guess that wasn't clear. It's like "where the red fern grows" dog acting. Not so much "air bud" as "Never Cry Wolf"

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4329  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:57 pm

How dare you compare such an Awesome A-list movie like Ruff Ruff Ref to the dredge that is AirBud

GTKAS Jiffy! (Part 1) || GTKAS Jerfy (The Sequel!) || How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart) || In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

Porkens
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4330  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:01 pm

There's nothing in the rulebook that says a dog can't be ref?

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4331  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Nah cuz the dog is so good at it

Nero Cain
Survivor

Post Post #4332  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:53 am

saw Solo. Not really understanding the hate.
Join the Fantasy Football league today!
https://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80085

Nero Cain
Survivor

Post Post #4333  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:04 am

In post 4300, hiplop wrote:
In post 4289, Firebringer wrote:
In post 4277, hiplop wrote:I thought it was cringe manifested into film. I was embarassed watching Solo. It has the worst prequel-itis of any movie.

My biggest problem is it actively makes han solo less interesting, and star wars in general. But if you separate this mentally, its still pretty awful. I don't know how much it would even hold up stand alone. Everything in the movie is random connection to OT han solo things and explaining them. j feel like I'd you didn't know who han solo is you would have no fucking idea what is happening or why it's explaining super mundane things

Not seeing how it was a cringe fest.

the first 30 seconds of the movie I was embarrassed to be watching it

Spoiler: ""
YOUR NAME IS HAN AND YOU ARE BY YOUR SELF? YOU ARE SOLO? GOT IT HAN SOLO

ok sure, I'll agree that that's a little cheezy but I think you are being a bit harsh.

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4334  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Still haven't seen Solo would like to eventually

Nero Cain
Survivor

Post Post #4335  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:37 pm

its on redbox. It's 2 bucks. Was .55 for me b/c code. Prices may be very different in NY though.

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4336  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:38 pm

I'll probably save myself the coffee and torrent it at some point.

DS
Goon

Post Post #4337  (ISO)  » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:44 am

In post 4334, Majiffy wrote:Still haven't seen Solo would like to eventually

I feel like I am in the minority as far as popular opinion goes, but I actually really liked Solo. It was the first movie in a long time that gave me that "yay, im watching star wars" feeling again

Nero Cain
Survivor

Post Post #4338  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 am

I did a search and it seems like everyone (here) but Hiplop enjoyed it. Not all that sure why it tanked at the box office.

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4339  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:12 am

Star Wars fatigue plus backlash against TLJ carried over

DS
Goon

Post Post #4340  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Solo>Rogue One>TLJ>>TFA

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4341  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:02 pm

TFA>>>>>>>>Rogue One>all of the prequels>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TLJ
get to know a reckoner

it's time for the CHIVE to ARRIVE

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4342  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:33 am

omg Reck is a Russian Bot

xyzzy
xwvut

Pronoun: They

Post Post #4343  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:02 am

The Last Jedi is the best film in the franchise and Solo is just kind of safe and boring. like it's fine, I had a fun time in the theater watching it, but it felt carefully engineered to be the least controversial Star Wars movie possible. Rogue One is the worst film in the entire franchise including the prequels. if I wanna watch a war movie where most of the characters die in big explosions during the third act there's plenty of other ones I could watch instead with likable characters with actual arcs.

I saw The Hate U Give today and while there were a lot of things about it I really liked (its use of very specific color palettes based on setting is incredibly effective, some of the best use of color I've seen this year), it felt like it suffered under the weight of being a novel adaptation just due to how many different storylines there were, most of which didn't get the breathing room they needed. also the ending felt like it was meant to appease white audiences who would object to a movie that actually commits to saying anything tangible about the police, which is... disappointing tbh

we're close enough to the end of the year that I feel pretty solid about most of the following opinions. also, these are my "what should win" opinions, because obviously the "what will win" is much more cynical than any of this. obviously any of them could change at a moment's notice, but, y'know, they probably won't all change:

Best Picture: Blindspotting -- this isn't my favorite movie of the year (that'd be Searching), but it's the best movie of the year.
Best Director: Paul Schrader, First Reformed -- what Schrader does in this movie is absolutely stunning and masterful.
Best Leading Actor: Juaquin Phoenix, You Were Never Really Here -- there honestly weren't many performances by leading men that I really cared about this year, so I'm kind of ambivalent about this one, but this does stand out as maybe the best.
Best Leading Actress: Thomasin McKenzie, Leave No Trace -- there's a reason that this is the second highest-rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes of all time with 187 positive reviews and no negative reviews, and that reason is Thomasin McKenzie. I mean, there's other reasons too, but she's the biggest one. Elsie Fisher in Eighth Grade is also extremely good and I wouldn't object to her winning it instead, but McKenzie's the more deserving one here.
Best Supporting Actor: Hugh Grant, Paddington 2 -- listen, I think it's dumb that Paddington 2 counts as a 2018 film for the purposes of the Academy Awards, but if Hugh Grant is eligible to win this one, he should absolutely win it. Michael B. Jordan in Black Panther would be a great recipient of this one too, but, like, listen. it's Hugh Grant. it's fucking Hugh Grant.
Best Supporting Actress: Hari Nef, Assassination Nation -- hey maybe this time instead of giving Oscars to cisgender men in drag playing trans women we can fucking give one to an actual trans woman? no? okay, maybe next year. anyway, even though she probably won't win, she would be absolutely, 100% deserving. that one scene in the truck... holy fucking shit. Mackenzie Davis in Tully is pretty close for this one.
Best Animated Feature: Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms -- there's probably a 75% chance that they'll just give this one to Incredibles 2 without a second thought because any fucking movie that Pixar makes has a decent shot of winning even if it's absolute trash (btw, Incredibles 2 is absolute trash), and if Your Name wasn't even able to secure a nomination I don't see how this one will, but, y'know, I can dream, right? anyway if Wreck-It Ralph 2 turns out to have as much surprising, unexpected depth as the first one, I won't be too disappointed by a scenario where that one wins, but I wouldn't bet on both of those things happening simultaneously.
Best Animated Short: I don't fuckin know man
Best Cinematography: Peter Andrews, Unsane -- anyone who tells you that the "filmed on an iPhone" thing is just a dumb gimmick is completely wrong. Steven Soderbergh (Peter Andrews is a pseudonym, if you didn't know) absolutely knows what he's doing and it works perfectly.
Best Costume Design: Ruth E. Carter, Black Panther -- there honestly aren't even any close competitors here.
Best Documentary Feature: Won't You Be My Neighbor? -- I sincerely believe that if you could tell Mr. Rogers that a documentary was being made about his life, this is what he would want that movie to be (that is to say, he would object to the premise of making a movie about his life, but he would be very glad to hear that it's really a movie about how we connect to other people that exemplifies the belief he had in everyone's capability for goodness). I haven't seen that many documentaries this year, but of the handful I've seen, this one is the best one.
Best Documentary Short Subject: you're joking, right? like you don't actually expect me to have an opinion on this, right? I'm sure whatever wins this category will probably be fine I guess
Best Film Editing: Nick Johnson and Will Merrick, Searching -- remember back when The Social Network came out and it was an epochal step forward in terms of making someone using a computer look interesting? this is the next epoch.
Best Foreign Language Film: Champion -- I haven't seen that many foreign language movies this year (maybe a dozen? and a lot of that was anime) so this is really just a fun stand-in answer, but I would be absolutely tickled pink if this Korean arm wrestling sports movie won an Oscar.
Best Live Action Short Film: what?!?
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: I'm gonna be honest: I have absolutely no idea what actually qualifies as a good option for this sort of thing. leaving this one unanswered.
Best Original Score: Michael Giacchino, The Incredibles 2 -- I don't take back what I said about The Incredibles 2 being a shitty movie, but Giacchino is an extremely fucking good composer and this is an extremely fucking good score.
Best Original Song: "Shallow" by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born -- Lady Gaga, to no one's surprise, has some good goddamn pipes. Bradley Cooper is here, too, I suppose.

listen I'm skipping most of these because most of the rest of them I have no opinions about and my opinion on whatever "Best Sound Mixing" even means is irrelevant.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Desiree Akhavan and Cecilia Frugiuele, The Miseducation of Cameron Post -- during the screening of this I went to there were a bunch of straight people in the audience laughing at things that weren't jokes and it was stressful, but that's not the movies fault. also, icebergs!
Best Original Screenplay: Bo Burnham, Eighth Grade -- maybe 2018 will be the year that we can have a screenplay with the word "gucci" in it win an Oscar.

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4344  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:04 am

Tldr but yes I thought rogue one was garbage but not necessarily for the ending. More that the whole film felt like I was watching a let's play of a linear adventure game from the 2000s. "Objective complete" > something blows up > "well guess we can't go backwards gotta go forwards" > rinse repeat

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4345  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 am

i thought rogue one felt like mass effect 2

"let's not make any actual A-plot when we can stuff the movie with sidequests to recruit new party members and then make all characters RPG-like class stereotypes and have them all die in a suicide mission"

but that wouldn't be fair to ME2 because those characters had depth
get to know a reckoner

it's time for the CHIVE to ARRIVE

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4346  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:01 am

Hahaha

hiplop
Jury Darling

Post Post #4347  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:25 pm

rogue one is the worst of all of them imo
third best scummer of all time

shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Post Post #4348  (ISO)  » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:27 pm

So I got a bunch of movie watching in during my international travels

Get Out-I think I was overspoiled for this one. I pretty much knew everything that was going to happen and that made the experience a lot less interesting. Wish I had seen it fresh.

Game Night-OK. But people taking game night that seriously aren't going to be playing these shit games.

Disaster Artist-The character of Tommy was too annoying. I'd rather just watch The Room, than someone pretending to be filming The Room

Black Panther-Meh. Killmonger, could have been a lot more interesting, but was just left as a pretty standard one dimensional villain. Husband and wife conflict was pointless and just ended randomly. Plucky genius tech sister was probably the only character I found interesting.

Infinity War-The whole thing seems to be made pointless by Dr. Strange's dialogue. Saying 'this was the only way' seems to imply that in order to beat Thanos they needed to first lose since he had gone through over 14 million iterations and only one worked. So unless, there is some amazing follow up movie coming that points out why all these specific events had to take place (which would obviously get incredibly tiresome) either this line had no meaning, or pretty much all the events of the film had no meaning. Also felt like it was too much "insert forced comedy here" and "these guys are in it too"

Deadpool 2-Think they overdid it. Too frequent 4th wall breaking, and jokes about not paying for actual characters. Maybe just too many superhero movies for such a short span.

Solo-Not bad. Felt very Star Warsy. Guess this was the film for all the people complaining about the "new directions" being taken with the franchise.

DeathNote
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4349  (ISO)  » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:10 pm

What's your favorite movie shafted?
Looking for love in Alderaan places.

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion