I love TV shows, perhaps too much.

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Pronoun: He

Post Post #5250  (ISO)  » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Just finished Season 7 of Taskmaster, which has Rhod Gilbert among others in it
Really glad I found this show, was hilarious
Curious if the other seasons will hold up because Rhod made up about 90% of the hilarity,
the majority of the rest being Phil Wang's wang. I'll never not laugh upon remembering the line "the pendulum draws the eye"

ChibiBear
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #5251  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:16 am

In post 5249, Postie wrote:Just finished watching "You" on Netflix.

It's almost every Stalking For Love cliche rolled into one 10-part series and dialed up to 100. I did like the thriller aspects of the show, but I thought there were some major problems with how the stalker main character's increasingly crazed behaviours were portrayed as justified not only from his own PoV but within the logic of the show.
While of course most sane people should be able to recognise that things like murder and kidnapping "for love" are bad without the show pointing it out to them, I couldn't help worry some people might at least subconsciously absorb some of the Nice Guy / incel narrative that everything revolved around. Like, the main character literally narrates Nice Guy talking points over every action he carries out and it often becomes painful to listen to because the show refuses to ever make any obvious challenges to his logic and goes on to affirm many of his assumptions as correct.

I googled for reviews after finishing the series to see if anyone else had similar thoughts and could articulate them better than me and this is the first one that came up dear god

Spoiler:

I haven't seen the show for 'You' but I did read the book last year. I can't say how the show portrayed him, but in the book it was very much the point that he's a misogynistic psychopath, so of course he doesn't know that what he's doing is wrong. Also it's narrated by him (in a rambling train of thought sort of way) so it's impossible to really portray or challenge what he does as bad within the logic of the story since he's the one telling it and obviously he thinks his actions are justified.

I'll agree that it was an unpleasant story to experience though, I felt sort of icky after reading it, although I do think it was a fascinating read. I also agree with not liking how he always turned out to be right, and I didn't particularly like the ending. I definitely feel like it wouldn't work very well as a tv show (hence why I didn't bother watching it) since his crazy narration made up so much of the book, so any sort of adaption would most likely miss out on a lot of the content.
Boop.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #5252  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Counterpart canceled. Starz sucks that show is fantastic

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #5253  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:43 pm

I don't get how Starz ends up with such fantastic programming when they're run like a fucking trainwreck

Errantparabola
Composed.

Pronoun: She

Post Post #5254  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:00 pm

In post 5250, shaft.ed wrote:Just finished Season 7 of Taskmaster, which has Rhod Gilbert among others in it

whoa-- coincidentally i just came into this thread to talk about my enjoyment of the 1st season!
Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops. --implosion

Porochaz
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #5255  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:32 pm

In post 5250, shaft.ed wrote:Just finished Season 7 of Taskmaster, which has Rhod Gilbert among others in it
Really glad I found this show, was hilarious
Curious if the other seasons will hold up because Rhod made up about 90% of the hilarity,
the majority of the rest being Phil Wang's wang. I'll never not laugh upon remembering the line "the pendulum draws the eye"

It does vary by season but it is one of my favourite shows. Try the Noel fielding one. Rhod is the most psychotic contestant they have had (give or take a Sally phillips) but each contestant brings something unique.
Scumchat - aimgochatroomname=ScumChat&Exchange=5

Semi Out of Retirement. Limited Time Only. Free Prozac for every Eggnogfas taken!

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #5256  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:48 am

In post 5253, BROseidon wrote:I don't get how Starz ends up with such fantastic programming when they're run like a fucking trainwreck

WGN does that too

Every show I get into is super good then bam cancelled
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

GTKAS Jiffy! (Part 1) || GTKAS Jerfy (The Sequel!) || How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart) || In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Post Post #5257  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:50 pm

I started back from Season 1 and am just booting up season 6 now
Season 2 was the other high point for me, probably because it felt like 8 out of 10 Cats does Taskmaster.

I think it is just down to how much I like the panelists on the season. I'm on 6 now and not liking it much because I can't stand Russel Howard.
I kinda liked Season 4 with Noel Fielding, but at the same time, the tasks tended to have a lot of artistic slants to them which kept giving him an advantage.
Also the token brown person is usually a highlight of any season.
Also also, I think after viewing the other seasons, I didn't really appreciate how much Philip Wang brought to Season 7. The failing contestant really needs to contribute comedically.

Agent Sparkles
Goon

Post Post #5258  (ISO)  » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:50 am

Don't know if anyone here watches Manifest, but I just finished the season and I'm fuming
"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." -Oscar Levant

YellowSnow
Goon

Post Post #5259  (ISO)  » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:58 pm

The Orville Season 1 was awesome and Star Trek: Discovery Season 1 was underwhelming, The Orville Season 2 has been crap and Discovery Season 2 has been much better. Wonder what the trend will be for Season 3.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #5260  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:14 pm

The Orville S2 has been pretty solid so far idk what you're talking about

Porochaz
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #5261  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:24 am

In post 5259, YellowSnow wrote:The Orville Season 1 was awesome and Star Trek: Discovery Season 1 was underwhelming, The Orville Season 2 has been crap and Discovery Season 2 has been much better. Wonder what the trend will be for Season 3.

Got bored of The Orville a few episodes in, loved Season 1 of Discovery, but Season 2 is about 50/50 in terms of hits and misses, that last episode should have been an emotional climax and was dull. They needed to put more effort into it. Only seeing one Kelpian until the last few minutes, and one Ba'ul in total sucked balls. If you are meeting new alien species then you to let us spend some time with them - it was the same last episode with the red sphere, beyond being a plot device and a few episodes ago with the pre warp planet. Klingon episodes are the worst (although I felt that with TNG/DS9 as well, fight me, CDB). Also fucking find Spock already.

Semi Out of Retirement. Limited Time Only. Free Prozac for every Eggnogfas taken!

Irrelephant11
In the room

Post Post #5262  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:30 pm

Umbrella Academy anyone??

A few episodes in and I LOVE

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #5263  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:23 pm

we finished it last night. it was pretty good.

Nexus
miss

Post Post #5264  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:44 am

The use of music is superb.
Shitlord.

Irrelephant11
In the room

Post Post #5265  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:29 am

In post 5264, Nexus wrote:The use of music is superb.

!

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #5266  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:53 am

oh yeah, the music was great if a bit corny at times.

Not sure if I loved (because I love the movie) or hated the clear Magnolia callback with One. In fact, the whole thing has a very Magnolia vibe. But also some Wes Anderson (it doesn't help that Number Five looks like a young Jason Schwartzman and Vanya's Love Interest looks like Ed Norton).

Btw Number Five is kind of amazing. He's actually a 15-year-old kid, but pulls it off exceptionally well. I guess he was a Disney star

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #5267  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:57 pm

i just finished Barry

it was very good
get to know a reckoner

it's time for the CHIVE to ARRIVE

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #5268  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:04 pm

Russian Doll is fantastic and Ariadne may slip into my "top 5 episodes of all time" list

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #5269  (ISO)  » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:07 pm

The Way Out is also fantastic

shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Post Post #5270  (ISO)  » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:33 pm

OK I was wrong about Season 7
James Acaster was also amazing
Rewatching, it was really a great cast, 2 A+, one A, one B+ and one meh

Porochaz
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #5271  (ISO)  » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:49 am

Who was meh?

I've seen the cast list for 8 and it doesn't excite me.

shaft.ed
dem.agogue

Post Post #5272  (ISO)  » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:58 pm

In post 5271, Porochaz wrote:Who was meh?

I've seen the cast list for 8 and it doesn't excite me.
I found Kerry Godliman bland

I don't recognize anyone from season 8, but might not be terrible. I only new of Rhod Gilbert before 7. Been watching a James Acaster clips recently and enjoying his style of humor

also unrelated, but America needs to start using the triple contraction " i'n'it? "

Porochaz
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #5273  (ISO)  » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:06 pm

I know 2 of them - Paul Sinha and Joe Thomas. Paul Sinha is a Chaser on the UK version of the Chase and is a quiz expert, has quite a dry sarcastic wit and was a doctor. I expect him to be fairly good and quite funny. Joe Thomas did the UK version of the Inbetweeners, but he himself is quite reserved, also he isn't much of a stand up as far as Im aware. He's a bit of a surprise choice.

hiplop
Jury Darling

Post Post #5274  (ISO)  » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:00 pm

In post 5268, BROseidon wrote:Russian Doll is fantastic and Ariadne may slip into my "top 5 episodes of all time" list

loved it but episode 2 was balls
third best scummer of all time

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion