Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4475 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:37 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

In post 4467, fferyllt wrote:
In post 4466, Raskolnikov wrote:Even sansa executing LF was something that was supposed to be a really good moment but felt lame and really easy IMO.
I agree about this. It was anticlimactic after all the various horrors he's committed in more and more open ways (at least open to Sansa) as time has passed. He was defeated too easily, though to beat him required embracing his byzantine approach to power.
Actually I'm not sure anymore, was really any of it sansa figuring things out or wasn't the implication just that bran told her after noticing all of it with his spookyvision power?
deranged and incoherent
?
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory
Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #4476 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:51 pm

Post by fferyllt »

In post 4475, Raskolnikov wrote:
In post 4467, fferyllt wrote:
In post 4466, Raskolnikov wrote:Even sansa executing LF was something that was supposed to be a really good moment but felt lame and really easy IMO.
I agree about this. It was anticlimactic after all the various horrors he's committed in more and more open ways (at least open to Sansa) as time has passed. He was defeated too easily, though to beat him required embracing his byzantine approach to power.
Actually I'm not sure anymore, was really any of it sansa figuring things out or wasn't the implication just that bran told her after noticing all of it with his spookyvision power?
It could be all down to Bran's spookyvision power, but I'd like to assume at least a little more agency than that. We've seen her undergo a slow disaffection from LF since her snark in the first episode of this season.
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4477 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:19 pm

Post by Wraith »

In post 4472, Fluminator wrote:Super sad the Littlefinger wasn't the big bad in the final season.
When they cut the Vale plot they clearly had no idea what to do with him. The exact moment he went off the rails as a character was when he sold Sansa to the Boltons and had the conversations with her outlining his so-called "plan" in doing so, which made absolutely no sense and was completely out of character for him. After that point, his only purpose after was to serve as the Deus ex Machina for the Stark plot of season 6, and at that point his continued became redundant. Sansa really should have just had him killed in the season 6 finale, it would have made a lot more sense. His entire season 7 plotline was to stand around scheming pointlessly in what transparently an effort by the writer's to fuck with the audience's expectations. I knew that "twist" in the season 7 finale was coming ever since last year when they tried to push that lame, shitty fake tension between Jon and Sansa in the season 6 finale.

FYI if anyone was not in the know, Bran's actor revealed in an interview that there was a scene cut from the season 7 finale where Sansa goes to Bran with her concerns about Arya, and Bran reveals what he knows about Littlefinger. While this addresses the gaping plot hole that should have been addressed long before, it also shuts down the idiotic fan theories that Arya and Sansa were faking out Littlefinger all along. That scene really should have been kept in nonetheless, but it was obviously cut to make the fake-out land harder. In reality it just fell flat because it was telegraphed so clumsily.
In post 4466, Raskolnikov wrote:That sickening feeling when you know jon and D are inevitably going to win and live happily ever after but you root against them anyways because you feel they don't deserve it at all and only got there through plot armour and dragon ex machina. I'm hoping while they're in siberia at least sansa vs cersei happens in some way and is interesting.

I thought the point of the series was for people on the "good" side to learn to play "the game" and finally beat cersei etc at it, even if in the process they become a little gray or in some ways a lesser evil. But it's like throughout jon just stays the same as always but lucks out repeatedly and D has power overwhelming through dragons so everything's fine. Not vs the undead I guess but in isolation I don't see how that conflict is going to be all that interesting either as basically PvE. Everyone being so apparently naive again WRT the wight plan just feels like a massive step backwards and I think it's safe to say that theme is pretty dead now and idealism won out through basically magic after all. Or maybe they did have some secret other plan they accomplished with that meeting to be revealed later and it wasn't pure stupidity?

Even sansa executing LF was something that was supposed to be a really good moment but felt lame and really easy IMO.
Personally I think what disappoints me is that it seems to dispel a promising fan theory about the books that I wanted to believe. A central theme of the books is the destructive and cyclical nature of war, so the fan theory was that the books wouldn't culminate in some great final battle with the Others, but that it would culminate in some sort of peacemaking pact between the Others and humanity, spearheaded by Jon (whose book arc is learning about the social contract and the responsibility rulers have to their people) and likely resulting in Dany never personally sitting the Iron Throne on way or another. I thought this would be a wonderful resolution to the central tension.

But alas, I think several elements that are clear from the show will translate into the books as well - most notably Dany very obviously getting pregnant from BOATSEX and the zombie dragon destroying the Wall. The Wall has always been expected to be destroyed, but I don't think any book-readers expected the zombie dragon to be the cause. The Others getting control of a dragon probably means peace won't be possible. But I don't know...the show is so radically different from the books at this point it's really difficult to trust anything from its plot.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4478 (ISO) » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:24 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 4466, Raskolnikov wrote:That sickening feeling when you know jon and D are inevitably going to win and live happily ever after but you root against them anyways because you feel they don't deserve it at all and only got there through plot armour and dragon ex machina. I'm hoping while they're in siberia at least sansa vs cersei happens in some way and is interesting.
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no

p sure dany dies before the end due to jon
green shirt thursdays
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #4479 (ISO) » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 4469, chamber wrote:I've heard a theory that I'm partial to that jon will have to use dany to forge lightbringer. And Jamie is supposed to kill Cersei in theory.
I am too.

Spoiler:
I think that jon won't kill her, I kinda wonder if she will die in childbirth but it doesn't seem there is enough time for that with the rapid speed the whitewalkers are coming down? I think that he will use her blood ala
Red Violin
style to forge Lightbringer. it makes a ton more sense than jon killing dany given the scope of his moral compass unless she was a whitewalker and HAD to be killed. killing dany just doesn't quite work for me unless he had to.

I keep coming back to the meeran priestess when she said, "only death can pay for life" and I think that might be a foreshadowing of the entire series including the end.

which makes me wonder if JON will die since he will be dany's "sun and stars" and she seems to have a knack for forging significant gamechangers out of fire. she cld actually be Azor Ahai, and jon is the sacrificial lamb in a very jesus sort of way. that somehow wld be fitting. I also feel like it wld reveal a difference in mr. martin's version and the writers in a way that wld be impossible to ignore. honestly that wld be much more exciting than the series, altho I think the series is fantastic and I am loving every minute of it.

I still say that the night king is a targaryen. can we all just admit that glass is made through extreme heat and *mebbe* along coastal lines where dragons lived? the targaryen's family castle sits on a giant pile of dragon glass. it didn't get there by accident.

the targaryens are immune to fire, yeah? so is the night king. and I cannot forget what jon found in the cave in the targaryen territory where depictions of the children of the forest and the targaryens (assuming this cos who else wld the children of the forest be painting pics of in a cave close to the targaryen household?) fighting the whitewalkers and the night king.

the timing doesn't seem to matter much in the way of how things are determined with the reveals. the three-eyed raven is covering the plot
holes in the series for the most part and teleportation, lol.

predictions:

arya lives and sails into the west. it is what she was meant to do.

bran is locked in a tree and never wants to get out.

sansa...I keep expecting her to turn into a whitewalker. not sure why. the character wld make sense but the actress playing her doesn't. mebbe she becomes queen of the north, with the knowledgeof how ephemeral and precious it is when she remembers whom she is serving. hint: it is the pple who have pledged themselves to her.

sam will live to tell the tale. yaye!

I have this slightly small hope that tormand and brienne will hook up.
whew!
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #4480 (ISO) » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:08 pm

Post by Faraday »

Targaryens, as a general rule, aren't immune to fire.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4481 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:49 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4480, Faraday wrote:Targaryens, as a general rule, aren't immune to fire.
Dany isn't even supposed to be either. Thats a show-only trait.
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #4482 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:46 am

Post by pirate mollie »

aahhhh, that makes so much sense. I only read the first boook and half of the second 1.

thanks for clearing that up!
whew!
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4483 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:43 am

Post by springlullaby »

I think I've cometh to be sentimental and mellow with old age: watching the 'story so far pre-show' thingy to season 7, being reminded of Tomen's suicide actually made my dark twisted heart throb in pain a little.

The question I have in mind right now is what will happen when Arya meet Sansa again now that the later is a power hungry bitch and the former a cut throat assassin who knows only hate.

Bah, the now sentimental me wish love upon them both.

(Still think Dany is a cartoon character though.)

On to catching up with season 7.
springlullaby
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
springlullaby
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4484 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:41 am

Post by springlullaby »

Episode 2 of season 7

Alright, I see where this is going. Danaeris Targaryen, the freedom fighter from the West.
The best thing is, Danaris has an army of ex-slaves fighting for her, for a territory where slavery doesn't seem to exist.

I'm rooting for Cersei.

Episode 5

Dany says she wants to help people. But help them with what? Did I miss something there?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4485 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:20 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Yeah same re rooting for Cersei
green shirt thursdays
Iconeum
Iconeum
Survivor
Iconeum
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4486 (ISO) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:21 am

Post by Iconeum »

inb4 everyone dies
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4487 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Spoiler: sorta maybe S8 spoilers from an actor's instagram

GET. FUCKIN. HYPE.
green shirt thursdays
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4488 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:37 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #4489 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:08 pm

Post by AniX »

Not enough Qyburn
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #4490 (ISO) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Post by the worst »

is there ever enough qyburn?
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4491 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:03 pm

Post by Fluminator »

I heard a really compelling theory that Petyr Baelish face swapped and isn't actually dead. I always thought his death was poorly written so I hope it's true.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #4492 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:34 pm

Post by AniX »

I hope it's not true. It would be extremely silly and WHAT-A-TWISTY that someone who has never shown to even have been to Braavos let alone mastered a high-level assassin technique uses it to fake his death to both other characters and the audience.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #4493 (ISO) » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

he is from bravoos lol

but yeah that theory is bullshit imo

AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #4494 (ISO) » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:06 am

Post by AniX »

His great grandfather was some random sellsword who happened to live in Braavos, but that's hardly the same thing.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #4495 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:05 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

yeah well

I agree with you that theory is bullshit

Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4496 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:22 am

Post by Fluminator »

So was his death!
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4497 (ISO) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am

Post by Fluminator »

Okay, what about the theory Bran is the Night king. That one seems cool.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #4498 (ISO) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:37 am

Post by Creature »

Do we talk about Telltale's Game of Thrones game here too?
Sigh
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #4499 (ISO) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:05 am

Post by AniX »

If anyone is inclined, I made us a League in Throne Fantasy (https://thronefantasy.com/) under the code S9JNVV. It is literally fantasy sports with Game of Thrones: You draft characters (as well as predict events like who will wind up on the throne and how many chickens will be eaten, etc.) and then after the episode the app updates and you get points.
Last edited by AniX on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN

Return to “General Discussion”