Game of Thrones

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4400 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:02 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

She said she would do it and stuck to her word, they had their choice. I agree with Chamber.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #4401 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:12 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

Yah, I like how she respected what they wanted.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4402 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Post by zoraster »

To be fair, these are the same writers that had Jaime rape his sister in the sept and now we're supposed to view him as pretty honorable.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4403 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Post by Wraith »

In post 4400, Ranmaru wrote:She said she would do it and stuck to her word, they had their choice. I agree with Chamber.
That's not my point. Up to S6 Dany had only killed unsympathetic characters. But suddenly she decided to kill a sympathetic character in an exceedingly cruel way. I forgot to mention that - does she really need to execute people by burning them alive? No - she didn't even use this method of execution against the Yunkish leaders, she had their throats cut. But the writers are making her use that method in order to deliberately play up parallels between Dany and her father, the Mad King. Up to this point, the audience hasn't been led to believe that Dany is turning into her father, but suddenly this season this parallel is played up.
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4404 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 4403, Wraith wrote:
In post 4400, Ranmaru wrote:She said she would do it and stuck to her word, they had their choice. I agree with Chamber.
That's not my point. Up to S6 Dany had only killed unsympathetic characters. But suddenly she decided to kill a sympathetic character in an exceedingly cruel way. I forgot to mention that - does she really need to execute people by burning them alive? No - she didn't even use this method of execution against the Yunkish leaders, she had their throats cut. But the writers are making her use that method in order to deliberately play up parallels between Dany and her father, the Mad King. Up to this point, the audience hasn't been led to believe that Dany is turning into her father, but suddenly this season this parallel is played up.
I think dany has always been ruthless to her enemies in the show. That we know more about these enemies so they seem more sympathetic doesn't change that. Additionally as I said before, I think there is a POV thing that happens in the show. Its why Jaime becomes so much more likable in s3, we are seeing things from his POV then. She seems more like a tyrant in tyrians view than in her own. This doesn't translate well to TV but its always been an issue with GOT.
Taking a break from the site.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4405 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

She wasn't as ruthless in the beginning but she became more ruthless as time went on. This is normal for her (TV wise) and expected. I think burning the Tarly's alive set an example and help to establish the reality that there are dragons on the playing field now. As soon as they were burnt, the army kneeled. Dickon was sympathetic, but you can't expect a person to be spared for being a nice person. She might becoming like her father, or might not be. We don't really know when he became mad, how, or why. So I can't really compare her entrance to the game of thrones to his when I have little context as to what he has done and why he was labeled as the mad king. (I may have forgotten some details though) Could she have done better? Sure, but I'm not sure her strong suit is military tactics. I was thinking she could have been using her dragons to zone out people or for other advantages like transport or pickup and not just firepower. Do I agree with Tyrion? I do, I do think that this will not get the people to love her, only to fear her. I do feel that she has dragons, she might as well get some mileage out of them.
Last edited by Ranmaru on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #4406 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Post by chamber »

I mean, she was pretty ruthless even to her brother in season 1.
Taking a break from the site.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #4407 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

Though he was pretty mean to her.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4408 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:02 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I think she was a bit submissive very early season 1 but as time passed her Dothraki blood rose within her and she crowned her brother. I don't think she was mean to him in the very beginning at least. I could be wrong though and forgot what happened at the beginning.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4409 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 4393, Katsuki wrote:Is there a particular reason why this season is 7 episodes instead of the standard 10? Directors admitted to being able to cut corners due to popularity of show but honestly what gave the show such depth was the development of characters like Brienne/Jaime using an example from this page. It's like they felt they could get away with pleasing the audience with just cramming in as much action as they can (hooray teleporting fleets/chars and videogame accuracy in locating enemy generals).
budget

these seasons retain the same budget as previous seasons but with less episodes that lets them to expensive cgi stuff
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4410 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 4403, Wraith wrote:Up to this point, the audience hasn't been led to believe that Dany is turning into her father, but suddenly this season this parallel is played up.
no
green shirt thursdays
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4411 (ISO) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Post by Wraith »

Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4412 (ISO) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 4403, Wraith wrote:I forgot to mention that - does she really need to execute people by burning them alive? No - she didn't even use this method of execution against the Yunkish leaders, she had their throats cut.
She burnt alive one of the meereen nobility after the harpy attacks started and threatened to burn the rest just before forcing Hizdahr into marraige. Burning the Tarly's didn't seem out of character to me. Doesn't matter whether Dickon was sympathetic or not... GoT isn't supposed to be a good guys vs. bad guys show, thats been established since the first season. I don't really have a problem with Dany's characterization. I have a bigger problem with Tyrion's. Here's a guy that used wildfire to blow up a fleet of enemy ships. He seemed horrified by it (in contrast to Joffery) but seemed to consider it as doing what was necessary to defend the city. But now, using dragons to defeat your enemies (which saves countless lives in Dany's own army) is immoral and on the Mad Queen path...

Also, and this isn't a critique of the show just a curiousity, I wonder about what exactly Dany did with the Lannister soldiers who bent the knee. She doesn't really have a weserosi army to assimilate them into. They wouldn't exactly fit in with the dothraki, or the unsullied for that matter when they return. She said she wasn't taking prisoners so I assume she didn't send them of to some POW camp even if they're being fed well and treated nicely, but I also doubt they were just free to go to return home or possibly report back to the rest of the lannister army. Were they sent back to dragonstone and put to work? Forced labor doesn't seem like much of a distinction from prisoner or slave for that matter. They could potentially reinforce the loyal ironborn assuming theres more than just the one ship left, or sent off to fight with the dornish army if they still existed, but as far as the show is concerned both those pieces seem off the board. I'm also assuming the Tyrell army was killed off or captured by the lannisters. So I don't really see what exactly Dany is supposed to do with a bunch of non-prisoner enemy troops she's forcing to bend the knee. We just supposed to assume they're somewhere behaving out of fear I guess?
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #4413 (ISO) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:35 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 4412, Rhinox wrote:Here's a guy that used wildfire to blow up a fleet of enemy ships. He seemed horrified by it (in contrast to Joffery) but seemed to consider it as doing what was necessary to defend the city. But now, using dragons to defeat your enemies (which saves countless lives in Dany's own army) is immoral and on the Mad Queen path...
I thought Tyrion did a good job explaining himself. I seem to remember him saying, pararphrased, that he didn't think it was morally wrong but in the battle of perceptions it was the wrong choice, because it reinforces the beliefs of cersei and other detractors of Queen D that the mother of dragons is a crazy tyrant that's here to burn fools and let her barbarian horde rape and pillage and that she is gonna be Mad King 2.0.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #4414 (ISO) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:45 am

Post by AniX »

There is a pretty big difference between killing your enemies in battle and executing prisoners of war if they refuse to switch sides, especially when they haven't really done anything to you personally.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
pirate mollie
pirate mollie
thingmaker
pirate mollie
thingmaker
thingmaker

Post Post #4415 (ISO) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:30 am

Post by pirate mollie »

In post 4395, AniX wrote:
Spoiler:
Because only two things can kill a White Walker: Dragonglass and Valyrian Steel. Fire is not only that list. You couldn't kill the regular white walkers with it either and they are just random baby wildlings grown up.

I don't really see how being able to create an ice spear or knowing things is a trait unique to Targs. Is Qyburn a secret Targ too? Is Varys? Even if he WAS a Targ (he isn't), he'd know things on the basis of being a magic king of a magic race created by fey with futuresight, not happening to be a Targ. Starks are the house with psychics, not Targs.
Spoiler:
there is this:

wights can die by fire. and I think certain white walkers can too. it is why the night king walking through fire and controlling a zombie dragon are significant.

are you saying that the night king is a stark? I can get behind this cos the night king seems to hold a special interest in the stark children. I just think he is a targaryen. :P
whew!
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

Post Post #4416 (ISO) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:24 pm

Post by AniX »

In post 4415, pirate mollie wrote:
In post 4395, AniX wrote:
Spoiler:
Because only two things can kill a White Walker: Dragonglass and Valyrian Steel. Fire is not only that list. You couldn't kill the regular white walkers with it either and they are just random baby wildlings grown up.

I don't really see how being able to create an ice spear or knowing things is a trait unique to Targs. Is Qyburn a secret Targ too? Is Varys? Even if he WAS a Targ (he isn't), he'd know things on the basis of being a magic king of a magic race created by fey with futuresight, not happening to be a Targ. Starks are the house with psychics, not Targs.
Spoiler:
there is this:

wights can die by fire. and I think certain white walkers can too. it is why the night king walking through fire and controlling a zombie dragon are significant.

are you saying that the night king is a stark? I can get behind this cos the night king seems to hold a special interest in the stark children. I just think he is a targaryen. :P
Spoiler:
Wrights can (in fact they secrete an oil like substance thats makes them especially susceptible to it) but WW can't. That's why Sam's discovery of dragonglass working is so significant. Otherwise they'd just have aimed for the walkers during the battle and killed the wrights by the dozens with a single blow.

I'm not saying it is a Stark but I am saying it is possible for him to be (unlike a targ). It is worth noting BOOK SPOILER:
There is a character in the books called the Night's King who was a Stark who slept with a white walker and declared himself King of the Wall before being struck down by a colition lead by the North whose final fate is unknown. The timeline doesn't match up though, because technically the Starks as a house as such didn't exist during the original war when the Night King was created but they could fudge that up a bit if they wanted to
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4417 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:52 am

Post by Wraith »

script spoilers ahead

WHO'S READY FOR
B O A T S E X
TONIGHT
Show

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4418 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:55 am

Post by Rhinox »

There's better things to GET HYPE about!
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #4419 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Post by Annadog40 »

I made a site chat room "Game Of Thrones Live Spoiler Chat" where we can talk about the final
This is my life now

hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4420 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 4402, zoraster wrote:To be fair, these are the same writers that had Jaime rape his sister in the sept and now we're supposed to view him as pretty honorable.
Well, to make Jaime rape her to everyone's eyes
but
the directors'. They seemed to think there was nothing wrong with it at all, so yeah... Let's just say I don't have high hopes for their intended new show "Confederate" based on how they've been with subtlety in GoT.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4421 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Post by Wraith »

M A R I N E

V E S S E L

I N T E R C O U R S E
Show

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4422 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Ok. That was some good shit start to finish.
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4423 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:26 pm

Post by Wraith »

When you are so hung up on civilian casualties and decide not to crush a backstabbing psychopath but instead go on an elaborate mission to capture a wight so you can convince the least trustworthy people in Westeros to ally with you, and then she not only refuses to ally with you but plans to backstab you at the first opportunity, and also you sacrificed one of the only three dragons on the planet for this plan and also allowed the zombie-making magic creatures to revive it and destroy the Wall protecting you and invade your lands and slaughter countless people.

because you were worried about civilian casualties

Q U A L I T Y

W R I T I N G
Show

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4424 (ISO) » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Post by Rhinox »

And gods did i ever spit out my drink when littlefinger said ravens have a hard time flying in this weather :giggle: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”