Speed barrier broken

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 24, Otolia wrote:1. The statement of restrained relativity "Nothing travels faster than light" is false. The true statement is "No information travels faster than light".

You are aware that the second statement includes the first, right?
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Post by Drench »

In post 25, mykonian wrote:
In post 24, Otolia wrote:1. The statement of restrained relativity "Nothing travels faster than light" is false. The true statement is "No information travels faster than light".

No, it doesn't. The hypothetical tachyon can travel FTL, from what I understand.
join your union
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 26, Drench wrote:

No, it doesn't. The hypothetical tachyon can travel FTL, from what I understand.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. Just a question I don't expect an answer on, but what makes that the tachyon doesn't carry information?
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Post by Drench »

In post 27, mykonian wrote:

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. Just a question I don't expect an answer on, but what makes that the tachyon doesn't carry information?

From what I gather (and I warn you, I'm pulling this all from Wikipedia without knowing anything about physics), they're not 'real' particles, but rather a representation of an instability. Or something.

As I said, I know nothing. So.
join your union
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:02 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 24, Otolia wrote:Honestly it's not as sexy as it may sounds for you. It won't change physics, at most it will reveal a particular case of a certain theory.

Which is quite sexy, I'd say!
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Post by mikeburnfire »

I WANT FASTER-THAN-LIGHT INTERGALACTIC SPACE EXPLORATION

SO EVERYBODY SHUT UP AND CELEBRATE

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:22 pm

Post by mykonian »

In post 28, Drench wrote:
In post 27, mykonian wrote:Hmm, I wasn't aware of that. Just a question I don't expect an answer on, but what makes that the tachyon doesn't carry information?

From what I gather (and I warn you, I'm pulling this all from Wikipedia without knowing anything about physics), they're not 'real' particles, but rather a representation of an instability. Or something.

As I said, I know nothing. So.

Doesn't matter. Most of the people posting here don't. Few have seen the mathematics behind the special relativity (which are easy and elegant enough to understand and show well enough why "faster then light" gives a lot of trouble). At the point where we both don't have a clue, it shows just who's best with wikipedia and heard something here an there.

For people who want an introduction on the subject this was what introduced me a few years ago. High school maths gets you through it, and it's a pleasant read anyway. Part one is what you need to have understand why lightspeed is a barrier people didn't expect to be broken.
lewarcher82
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:00 am

Post by lewarcher82 »

huh, drench, I think you are not getting it completely right. tachyons are not particles, but something closer to a challenge to the model. Indeed, the CERN result can now be spelled as follows: there might be tachyonic neutrinos.

that said, I am no physicist and I gave up my math studies 5 years ago, so please correct me if I am mistaken.
Used to play a lot, haven't played for like 8 years, would like to play again.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:01 am

Post by Drench »

lewarcher82 wrote:

huh, drench, I think you are not getting it completely right. tachyons are not particles, but something closer to a challenge to the model. Indeed, the CERN result can now be spelled as follows: there might be tachyonic neutrinos.

that said, I am no physicist and I gave up my math studies 5 years ago, so please correct me if I am mistaken.
Drench wrote:

From what I gather...they're not 'real' particles, but rather a representation of an instability. Or something.

i will not allow myself to look like i have failed even though i haven't, because fuck you that's why
join your union
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:08 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 32, lewarcher82 wrote:

No, no no.

A tachyon is a hypothetical particle that can ONLY go faster then light. If it were ever to go slower then light, it would have a negative mass, but of course it can't. Basically it's a particle that's stuck on the other side of the light barrier. A particle with positive rest mass can only go slower then light, a particle with zero rest mass (IE: a photon) can only go at the speed of light (photon has a certain amount of mass/energy, but only because it is in motion at the speed of light), and a particle with negative rest mass can only go faster then light.

It's something that's theoretically possible under Einstein physcis, and that's where the idea comes from in fact, but has never actually been observed.

A neutrino can't be a tachyon, though. Neutrinos have mass.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
lewarcher82
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
lewarcher82
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:34 am

Post by lewarcher82 »

Ok, thank you!
Used to play a lot, haven't played for like 8 years, would like to play again.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:34 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

INVERSE TACHYON BEAM
mikeburnfire
mikeburnfire
Flashy
mikeburnfire
Flashy
Flashy

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:22 am

Post by mikeburnfire »

EMPEROR TACHYON
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill with rope and a slim majority."

Flash Guide to Mafia and Flash Mafia Roles
Otolia
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Otolia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:19 am

Post by Otolia »

In post 31, mykonian wrote:
Doesn't matter. Most of the people posting here don't. Few have seen the mathematics behind the special relativity (which are easy and elegant enough to understand and show well enough why "faster then light" gives a lot of trouble).

Well I am, and I can say special relativity is a piece of cake compare to general relativity and to quantum field theory and associated (what this neutrinos are all about)

The tachyon is a theoritical particule who strictly speaking goes faster than light, its mass at v=0 is stricly complex (mathematically speaking) which physicist don't have an explanation for. Even if it goes strictly speaking faster than light, you can't measure anything because it goes either in the future (time wise) or in the past (time wise) on the relativistic level he goes to the to the outside of the cone of future. It evolves outside of the causality principle.

No, there is a lot of things that travels faster than light when you speak about quantum mechanics, like quantum entanglement or phase speed but none of them contains information (or energy).

The real causality principle in special relativity is written like this : "no information or Energy can travel faster than light in a inertial frame of reference at a speed faster than the speed limit of causal information." Cryptic isn't it ? That's the principle that could be broken here.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:21 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 37, mikeburnfire wrote:Image

EMPEROR TACHYON

*thumbsup*
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:46 am

Post by Xdaamno »

In post 38, Otolia wrote:
In post 31, mykonian wrote:
Doesn't matter. Most of the people posting here don't. Few have seen the mathematics behind the special relativity (which are easy and elegant enough to understand and show well enough why "faster then light" gives a lot of trouble).

Well I am, and I can say special relativity is a piece of cake compare to general relativity and to quantum field theory and associated (what this neutrinos are all about)

The tachyon is a theoritical particule who strictly speaking goes faster than light, its mass at v=0 is stricly complex (mathematically speaking) which physicist don't have an explanation for. Even if it goes strictly speaking faster than light, you can't measure anything because it goes either in the future (time wise) or in the past (time wise) on the relativistic level he goes to the to the outside of the cone of future. It evolves outside of the causality principle.

Tide goes in, tide goes out. You can't explain that.

About this neutrino thing, huh, I don't know. Flay's odds are fine, but I'm hopeful about the wormhole thing. I don't know much about string theory, but if it turns out the neutrino is doing loop-da-loops through some extra dimensions string theory could come into play. But there's surely no way this would turn into a practical large-scale use of wormholes.
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:47 am

Post by shaft.ed »

I beg to differ, travel time from Paris to Rome could be reduced by at least 10 nanoseconds
think of the commercial value!
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:02 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

VIVE LE CONCORDE!

Retired as of October 2014.
Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:41 am

Post by Battousai »

In post 30, mikeburnfire wrote:I WANT FASTER-THAN-LIGHT INTERGALACTIC SPACE EXPLORATION

SO EVERYBODY SHUT UP AND CELEBRATE

You can't travel faster than the speed of light, so scientists will have to increase the speed of light.
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:52 am

Post by mykonian »

In post 38, Otolia wrote:
In post 31, mykonian wrote:Doesn't matter. Most of the people posting here don't. Few have seen the mathematics behind the special relativity (which are easy and elegant enough to understand and show well enough why "faster then light" gives a lot of trouble).

Which is why I stopped taking extra physics at that point. I have a general idea, and that's it.

Here you lose me. I might be wrong, but I thought mass was an observable, and that that made it necessary for it to be real.

No, there is a lot of things that travels faster than light when you speak about quantum mechanics, like quantum entanglement or phase speed but none of them contains information (or energy).

Thank you.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

You know that something weird is going on when the web version of the New York Times news article about a possible scientific discovery has a hyperlink in it to...xkcd. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/24/scien ... 1&ref=cern
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

By the way, that is not quite true; there are some things in quantum physcis that happen instantly at great distances ("spooky action at a distance" to quote Einsten), like the collapsing of the wave-form of one particle when a different particle is observed, but they can not be used to carry information.
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:48 pm

Post by Thok »

In post 23, Mr. Flay wrote:Yeah, I'd give wormholes about 100 times the odds of FTL neutrinos, and measurement error about 500 times the chance of wormholes. We've
measured
the effects of relativity, and there's no reason to believe anything can violate the infinite mass/energy limit.

I'd give measurement error at least 1000000 times the odds of wormholes.

We've seen stars go supernova that were expected to go supernova. If neutrinos were faster than light or doing wormhole travel, the neutrino burst from a supernova would have beaten the light from a supernova to earth by an easily measurable factor. (Like minutes or hours or days or years.)
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:03 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

In post 47, Thok wrote:
In post 23, Mr. Flay wrote:Yeah, I'd give wormholes about 100 times the odds of FTL neutrinos, and measurement error about 500 times the chance of wormholes. We've
measured
the effects of relativity, and there's no reason to believe anything can violate the infinite mass/energy limit.

I'd give measurement error at least 1000000 times the odds of wormholes.

We've seen stars go supernova that were expected to go supernova. If neutrinos were faster than light or doing wormhole travel, the neutrino burst from a supernova would have beaten the light from a supernova to earth by an easily measurable factor. (Like minutes or hours or days or years.)

Is the claim that all neutrinos travel faster then light, or one specific type does, or the neutrinos created in a certain place were, or what? What was this experiment measuring, exactly? I'm still kind of fuzzy on the details.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:06 pm

Post by Thok »

In post 48, Yosarian2 wrote:Is the claim that all neutrinos travel faster then light, or one specific type does, or the neutrinos created in a certain place were, or what? What was this experiment measuring, exactly? I'm still kind of fuzzy on the details.

The experiment involves neutrino's created at CERN lab detect apparently 732 km away in Italy. I don't know enough about the experiment to know if there was anything special about the neutrinos.

Edit: if I had to guess, the solution involves them not handling the curvature of the earth correctly.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.

Return to “General Discussion”