"I Love the 80's Strikes Back" on VH1

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

"I Love the 80's Strikes Back" on VH1

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:12 pm

Post by Dourgrim »

Having grown up in the 80's, I love most anything with an 80's theme... for instance, I'm a huge fan of 80's music (and the accompanying videos, of course), retro TV shows, and so forth. VH1 has managed to capture much of the stuff I love about the decade into the abovementioned series (along with a bunch of stuff I could've done without ever remembering), and I was curious what the rest of you thought of the shows.

Stuff I Loved
  • Their acknowledgement of "The Princess Bride" as an all-time classic film. All I can say is it's about damn time someone did! Mad props to VH1 and the guest stars for finally seeing the light!

The "What The $#@%!" segment with Gilbert Gottfried. Many of the events he references really bring out the messed-up mentality that was prevalent in the 80's (the Rubik's Cube class at Yale is my favorite example).

Hal Sparks. This man is quickly becoming my hero. He mixes the right proportion of sarcasm, reminiscence, and realism into his comments and generally is right on the money, and when he does try to be funny he succeeds brilliantly. You can tell he was truly a child of the 80's.

The fact that the producers of the show actually handed the guest stars any products being discussed and let them play with them... very cool! There are more than a few cool 80's gadgets I wish I could get my hands on... I'm jealous.
Stuff I Hated
  • Michael Ian Black. Somewhere along the way someone made the mistake of telling this guy that he was funny. I suppose he might be mildly amusing in very small doses, but on this show he just comes off as a rather pathetic sarcasm junkie with a penchant for beating the concept of "deadpan humor" into the ground via overuse. Blech.

Boy George's makeup... need I say more?

The "Nerds of <insert year>" segments. None of them were really anything nostalgic or funny... just an excuse for The Donger to talk for a minute or two, IMO. Whatever.

The annoying synthesized voice that says "I Love the 80's" and the various catchwords throughout each show. For some inexplicable reason it really grates on my nerves. *shrug*
Feel free to discuss... I'm interested to hear what the rest of you think, but mostly I just needed someplace to vent. :D
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:16 pm

Post by Dourgrim »

Oh yeah... for those of you who missed the shows on their first run and are interested in seeing them, never fear: as usual, they're going to replay the everlovin' hell outta each episode for at least the next week or so, so you'll have plenty of chances to catch any episode you might've missed. (I'm recording all 10 to videotape for educational purposes. :wink: ) If you were alive in the 80's I highly recommend you give these shows a try.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:07 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Ahh, the eighties. There's not a whole lot I can say from experience, since I was just a kid at the time. I remember all the really unusual electronic toys that were coming out around that time. Like the NES, or Laser Tag. Teddy Ruxpin used to be one of my best friends.
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:09 am

Post by MeMe »

I haven't watched them...but you've convinced me I
should
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:11 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Oh yes, I just remembered something else. One of my favorite products of the eighties didn't come 'til 2000. Strong Bad!
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:26 am

Post by Dourgrim »

MeMe wrote:I haven't watched them...but you've convinced me I
should
You definitely should, especially if you have a DVR of some sort (either through your cable company or a service like TiVo) so you can easily record the entire series.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:36 am

Post by MeMe »

Nope - we's just po' country folk with cassettes for recording and that newfangled DVD watchin' machine.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:09 am

Post by mathcam »

Ha!

And yeah, the shows are very amusing, and my love and hate lists are very similar to the Dourmeister's above. I saw the Princess Bride reference and I meant to mention it here, but then promptly forgot...way to step up. Differences: I have no problems with Michael Ian Black or the synthesized voice, but those pop-up words are a littly annoying.

Cam
Fishbulb
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Fishbulb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:53 am

Post by Fishbulb »

My problem: I hated the 80's. Besides video games, Talking Heads, and a few movies, there's nothing else I want to be reminded of. Even Frank Zappa sucked in the 80's.
[url=http://fishbulb515.blogspot.com/][b]Fishblog![/b][/url]
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:14 am

Post by Dourgrim »

MeMe wrote:Nope - we's just po' country folk with cassettes for recording and that newfangled DVD watchin' machine.
Well, in that case, a few hours alone with a TV Guide and your VCR remote should do the trick... although it might be tricky to get all 10 episodes that way. Like I said before, I'm compiling all 10 in chronological order onto tapes myself; I could be persuaded into making a copy of them for anyone who asks real nice and promises to pay the costs of the tapes and shipping.

Return to “General Discussion”