Live Theater

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
TheTrollie
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Lets start a discussion about live theater. Plays/Musicals you've read, seen, want to see, listened to the album to, are curious about, etc. I was going to start this last week but got lazy. Maybe this exists elsewhere but I couldn't find it.
"Scum scum" goes TheTrollie!

Get to know me: GTKAS - TheTrollie

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Still haven't seen Les Mis. Would like to, eventually.

Also heard the musical-movie Pitch Perfect was good.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

GTKAS Jiffy! (Part 1) || GTKAS Jerfy (The Sequel!) || How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart) || In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

TheTrollie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:40 pm

I'll start by writing my reaction to some of the Tonys, since that just happened and is on my mind

Best Play
The Assembled Parties - I thought this play was really boring. Some of the acting was good, but I really don't see it winning Best Play. It's basically a play about a family, each person in the family has something they are hiding from other people, but those secrets don't really go anywhere. Act 2 is 20/30 years after act 1, and the sets are nice. It's worth seeing if only to see Jeremy Shamos act who is incredible and should have been nominated for Best Featured actor. Judith Light was also very good and deserved the award for Best Featured Actress, although I think that was the most competitive category this year and I'll get to that eventually.

Lucky Guy - I think this should have won. I knew Vanya and Sonia would win but this was way better than ppl said it was. It broke the 4th wall in a way that was very pleasant. It had a very good narrative structure. I liked it a lot.

The Testament of Mary - Didn't see, only lasted 2 weeks. I hear Fiona Shaw gets real naked in it ;)

*Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike* - Good, not great. I found this repetitive, each character has a “thing” that kinda keeps being the only thing we are supposed to laugh at. Spike, Masha’s boy-toy, is a good character because he keeps upping himself. Same with the house keeper, who comes on very strong, having really dramatic premanitions, but again each time we see her, her “thing” (that she kinda into the psychic stuff) keeps getting bigger and bigger --she has a scene in the beginning of ACT II where she does Voodoo. For the other's the schtick kinda get's old. Vanya would maybe be able to escape this but David Hyde Pierce seemed a bit "off" on the night I saw this
Last edited by TheTrollie on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TheTrollie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:42 pm

In post 1, Majiffy wrote:Still haven't seen Les Mis. Would like to, eventually.

It's gonna be on broadway at the Imperial Spring 2014. It was also just on tour. I bet it will go on tour again unless this revival flops.

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:48 pm

Hmm... maybe make an evening of it during the NYC meet?

GTKAS Jiffy! (Part 1) || GTKAS Jerfy (The Sequel!) || How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart) || In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game

Majiffy
Go with the Flow

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:48 pm

How long does a Broadway season run?

TheTrollie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:50 pm

In post 5, Majiffy wrote:How long does a Broadway season run?

Depends. Things that are a Limited Engagement usually last 3-4 months. Musicals usually last as long as they make money. I would expect this Les Mis revival to last at least a year. Unless it sucks it will probably last 3 years without a problem--cuz, well--its les mis

ActionDan
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:59 pm

Just Saw Romeo and Juliet at the met. Was a ballet. Still there was acting.
I'll give you a moment to let that sink in

TheTrollie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:04 pm

yeah, yeah, ballet is fair game for this thread. Pretty much any performance art i'm interested in hearing about, idk about others but thats what I'd like this thread to be

TheTrollie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:16 pm

In case anyone didn't know this already:

If you live in or near NYC you should come see Macbeth on Broadway which I work on and is super good. PM me if you want info for discount tickets.

It only runs until July 14th so DON'T MISS OUT!
Last edited by TheTrollie on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ActionDan
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Actually there is a very good chance I'd see this.
I'll give you a moment to let that sink in

TheTrollie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:24 pm

Best Musical
Bring It On: The Musical - who cares

A Christmas Story, The Musical - who cares

*Kinky Boots* - really good. Has the cute stuff which is all that Matilda has plus a lot more . Billy Porter was really fantastic, no way he wasn't winning that Tony. This was a clear winner in my eyes.

Matilda The Musical - did not like one bit. Was overly goofy. there was really no grounding character in the whole show. It was just a worse version of Annie (and I do not like Annie). The kids are just 100% "cute" and, sure, you might say "talented" but they aren't good, they are just kids so I had very low standards. I did not see Bertie Carvel, he seemed much better than the guy I saw based on the 10 seconds I saw of him at the Tonys, but I think mostly this show is bad.
Last edited by TheTrollie on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheTrollie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:33 pm

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Play
Tom Hanks (Lucky Guy ) - He was really really good but the other guys were probably better. I mean, he's Tom Hanks--the guy is a good actor.

Nathan Lane (The Nance) - he was the most convincing actor on stage of all of the nominees. That being said, the part was written for Nathan Lane, so in terms of his technical acting skills, the other people in this category were probably doing better "acting"

*Tracy Letts* (Who's Afraid…) - Tracy Letts was good, but I really didn't think he deserved the award. He sorta was doing the same thing the entire play, and boy is that play long. That being said, he was very good, he just should have done more with the part.

David Hyde Pierce (Vanya and Sonia…) - he was not fully there when I saw him if you know what I mean. Maybe he's always like that, maybe not. His part was so good, he had such opportunity to make that thing soar, but during his big monologue he just was half-assing it. He wasn't reacting to what was going on, it all seemed too rehearsed.

Tom Sturridge (Orphans) - this guy was the reason to see Orphans. he was really good, probably the best in terms of technical acting skills. Really played a hard role of an autistic man without playing below his intelligence. I thought he made the show worth seeing.

quadz08
President Weiner

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:04 am

Broadway is the only reason I would consider moving to NYC.

I really want to see Kinky Boots. (And the Matilda medley from the Tonys looked amazing, but I saw someone comparing it to Spring Awakening, which immediately turned me off to it.)
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:36 am

I'm trying to think of what I've seen.

In NYC, I've seen Mama Mia, The Producers, Phantom of the Opera, and one other one that I'm forgetting (maybe Sweeney Todd?).

I saw Wicked in Chicago, and Les Miserables in London. Out of them all, I'm pretty sure I enjoyed Wicked the most, and both Phantom + Mama Mia can go rot in hell. The Producers is a close second.

I'm most excited right now because Book of Mormon is coming to Raleigh next year and I will be seeing it and it's all I've ever wanted from life
get to know a reckoner

it's time for the CHIVE to ARRIVE

DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata

Pronoun: She

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:42 am

In post 7, ActionDan wrote:Just Saw Romeo and Juliet at the met. Was a ballet. Still there was acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDuzMfV7dRg I love Nureyev's choreo of it. Too bad the video is short and terrible.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

quadz08
President Weiner

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:46 am

^ the commune will be making a field trip to see book of mormon

The only show I've ever seen on Broadway is the Lion King. I've seen Wicked by a touring company a few times, and then I've seen a university production of Avenue Q.
Current Avatar: Kronk. Duh.

TheTrollie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:54 pm

reck that's a mostly depressing list lol... im upset because at first I thought you were saying that the commune was coming to NY for the show but you mean that ur gonna see it in NC which is less fun for me

Amrun
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:57 pm

I want to star in Oleanna one day. Read it, studied it, seen it, IN LOVE WITH IT.

I haven't done straight, non-opera theatre since high school, though... I think my last role was "Aladdin's mother" in Aladdin. lol
I survived Tigerpocalypse 2011

TheTrollie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:02 pm

matt directed me in oleanna

AngryPidgeon
Glenn Peck

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

In post 9, TheTrollie wrote:In case anyone didn't know this already:

If you live in or near NYC you should come see Macbeth on Broadway which I work on and is super good. PM me if you want info for discount tickets.

It only runs until July 14th so DON'T MISS OUT!

Ugh fine I'll move to the east coast :P

Amrun
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 pm

In post 19, TheTrollie wrote:matt directed me in oleanna

I know he was Mamet in author mafia and I was like <3

Who were you in the show? Were you the professor??? I want to be the crazy bitch.

Amrun
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:23 pm

I would also love to see Macbeth, and I've been trying to get to NYC to see some friends, so we'll see. How discounted is discounted, btw?

On Broadway itself, I've seen Wicked and Beauty and the Beast, but I've seen all sorts of things off Broadway. I've been involved in theatre in some capacity since middle school. The music and theatre depts obviously work with each other a lot.

TheTrollie
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:46 pm

In post 21, Amrun wrote:

Who were you in the show? Were you the professor??? I want to be the crazy bitch.

well, I'm a male, so... ya know, I hope that clears things up lol

Amrun
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 am

In post 23, TheTrollie wrote:
In post 21, Amrun wrote:

well, I'm a male, so... ya know, I hope that clears things up lol

listen

listen

campus theatre shows sometimes get really weird

Next
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion