Live Theater

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Rob14
Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: He

Post Post #150  (ISO)  » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:04 pm

www.broadwayforbrokepeople.com

It tells you all the tricks.

Drench
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #151  (ISO)  » Tue May 10, 2016 8:24 pm

i saw fun home tonight ama
join your union

drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #152  (ISO)  » Wed May 11, 2016 6:40 am

I was in a production of a Dark of the Moon once and I really enjoyed the piece.
#freeShotty

Cromulent Simpsons Quote
Townie

Location: Soaring majestically like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

Post Post #153  (ISO)  » Wed May 11, 2016 7:39 pm

Percifrax
Townie

Post Post #154  (ISO)  » Sun May 29, 2016 10:22 am

Live theatre's the best. This summer my state theatre will be performing Mamma Mia and I'm so excited. I've seen Les Mis and The Full Monty there and they do a really good job.

Rob14
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #155  (ISO)  » Mon May 30, 2016 10:29 am

I haven't been to Broadway in 6 months

;(

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #156  (ISO)  » Mon May 30, 2016 11:11 am

I'm going to New York for my 16th birthday and I have no idea which show to see. I really want to see Hamilton but that's off the table for obvious reasons. Any advice?
Get to know a Cakez!

Percifrax
Townie

Post Post #157  (ISO)  » Mon May 30, 2016 7:30 pm

In post 156, SirCakez wrote:I'm going to New York for my 16th birthday and I have no idea which show to see. I really want to see Hamilton but that's off the table for obvious reasons. Any advice?

I can tell you first hand that both Lion King and Wicked are incredible productions, but I checked the list of show playing now and Chicago's there, which is on my "must-see" list. I've heard the soundtrack and highly recommend it.

Rob14
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #158  (ISO)  » Tue May 31, 2016 1:00 am

In post 156, SirCakez wrote:I'm going to New York for my 16th birthday and I have no idea which show to see. I really want to see Hamilton but that's off the table for obvious reasons. Any advice?

Enter the Hamilton digital lotteries while you're there. Google it. Chances of winning are insanely low (like 20/10,000+), but if you win, great. Also, the lottery tickets are only $10 and front-row, so if you get other tickets ahead of time and win the Hamilton lottery, just toss the other tickets out and see Hamilton. Obviously $10 to upgrade from literally anything to front-row Hamilton is worthwhile.

If you're going on a Wednesday by any chance, then there's an in-person Wednesday matinee lottery with much better chances than the digital one (although still low; something like 20/150-20/200).

As a third alternative, there's the cancellations line. It's kind of a shitty way to spend your day, but you can get to the theater at around 6am and wait until the matinee or evening performance to see if they have tickets. They almost always have a few due to cancellations/house seats they don't need/etc., but it will be last minute (you will usually be seated as the show is starting or just before), full ticket price (still much less than the scalpers are selling for!), and you could go home empty-handed. If you get to the theatre and there's 10 people in front of you in line, you should probably call it quits; that's already too long.

So yeah, it's technically possible to get in if you really want to, but you have to either go to great lengths with the cancellations line or get lucky on the lottos. Wednesday matinee lotto is obviously the best bet since most people are at work.

As for what to go to, it depends on what you like. I'm out of touch with the newest shows, but I can make recommendations from those that have been open at least 6 months.

Fun Home is a masterpiece if you're looking for a serious musical. It's a really unique piece of theater that won a whole bunch of Tonys, including Best Musical, Best Book, and Best Score.

If you're looking for something more "old Broadway", Chicago is a blast. Les Miserables is a classic and fairly cheap (always on sale at TKTS for huge discounts).

If you're looking for a funny musical, Something Rotten! is very good, although the story is a bit lacking in my opinion.

I'm less in touch with the plays. I know The Humans is very hot right now, as is Eclipsed, but I haven't seen either.

Drench
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #159  (ISO)  » Tue May 31, 2016 1:26 am

FUN HOME
join your union

Drench
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #160  (ISO)  » Tue May 31, 2016 1:27 am

YOU WILL CRY SO MUCH!!!!!! IT IS SO GOOD
join your union

Drench
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #161  (ISO)  » Tue May 31, 2016 1:27 am

IF THE CAST OF FUN HOME ONE AT A TIME PUNCHED ME IN THE FACE UNTIL I BLED I WOULD SAY THANK YOU
join your union

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #162  (ISO)  » Tue May 31, 2016 9:15 am

In post 157, Percifrax wrote:

I can tell you first hand that both Lion King and Wicked are incredible productions, but I checked the list of show playing now and Chicago's there, which is on my "must-see" list. I've heard the soundtrack and highly recommend it.

Yeah Lion King was on top of the list I had. Wicked also, but not as sure on that.
In post 158, Rob13 wrote:

-snip-.

I've heard about the lotteries but like you said the odds of winning are super low so I wasn't expecting anything. I'm going over the weekend so no Wednesday lottery, and cancellations line sounds like a waste of a day when I only have 3 tbh. I'll try out the digital lotteries for the hell of it though.

Fun Home sounds really good but I was looking for something more lighthearted, if you will, and not sure what my family would think of it given how it's lesser known then others.
Get to know a Cakez!

drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #163  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:50 am

anyone remember when spring awakening was the hottest shit up for a tony?
#freeShotty

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #164  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:26 pm

So I saw the Lion King and it was incredible. Paid out the nose for it but it was totally worth it.

Family now considering getting season tickets for Broadway shows at the theater in St. Louis. The upcoming season will have Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Fun Home, Finding Neverland, An American in Paris, Something Rotten and Cabaret which is a pretty damn good set of shows. If we don't go for the top of the line seats it shouldn't be too much of a hit wallet wise either.

So yah pretty cool day.
Get to know a Cakez!

Nexus
miss

Post Post #165  (ISO)  » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:19 am

Bumping this thread because I/also didn't realise I hadn't posted in it.

I've broadened my horizons a lot since being in a relationship. Seen more plays and musicals than I ever hoped I would, with lots more in the pipeline.

I've now seen Matilda the Musical twice at the West End - definitely my favourite production. I love the book and the film, and Tim Minchin is also great, so I think it's wonderful.
I also saw Wicked, which I enjoyed.

I've now also seen Oresteia, which was an absolutely masterful production - three hours and I was gripped for the entire thing. After that I nearly wet myself laughing at the RSC's production of Don Quixote.

Over the next two months I have a busy schedule - next Saturday I am going to see In the Heights, which is Lin Manuel-Miranda's other musical, then the subsequent Saturday I am going to see Groundhog Day, which is Tim Minchin's latest musical.

In October, I get to see both parts of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which I read when it came out and am so excited for.

Now just waiting for when Hamilton makes the West End, because I absolutely adore the soundtrack.
Shitlord.

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #166  (ISO)  » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:34 pm

Saw A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder last week.
It was excellent! Highly recommended if the tour comes by your city.
Going to see Once this weekend, excited for that
Get to know a Cakez!

Nexus
miss

Post Post #167  (ISO)  » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:07 am

In the Heights was awesome, and Groundhog Day was even better, btw.

Cursed Child in one week and two days.
Shitlord.

Errantparabola
Composed

Post Post #168  (ISO)  » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:58 am

In post 167, Nexus wrote:In the Heights was awesome

enthusiastic snaps
Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops. --implosion

Where am I?

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #169  (ISO)  » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:47 pm

In post 167, Nexus wrote:In the Heights was awesome, and Groundhog Day was even better, btw.

Cursed Child in one week and two days.

How did you get tickets?
I looked at the site for fun and it's like permanently sold out.
Get to know a Cakez!

Nexus
miss

Post Post #170  (ISO)  » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:35 am

My partner is partially sighted so is able to get disabled tickets - she had to phone up and was on the phone the first day they were released.

ONE WEEK AND ONE DAY
Shitlord.

Shiro
Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: She

Post Post #171  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:12 am

Ok so, Foreign musical in greece are a bit rare but the athens musical hall has brought West side story, Is it a good musical?

Haven't listened to it I will go with no knowledge.
To me:
shiro you are a charmer you were obvscum but for some reason people just wouldn't lynch you ~Antihero
About me:
I stg this is how conversations with Lucifer go. ~Papa Zito

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #172  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:22 pm

Its supposed to be very good
I've never seen it and I don't know much about it though
Get to know a Cakez!

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #173  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:53 pm

I can confirm Once is also really good now
Get to know a Cakez!

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #174  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:33 am

I'm seeing Hamilton in new york in december. I'm excited, but nothing like my wife's excitement.

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion