Live Theater

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Nexus
miss

Pronoun: He

Post Post #175  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:53 am

Cursed Child's staging and acting was fabulous. The storyline is pretty piss and I took a dislike to one of the characters I liked reading the play due to the actor.

I also didn't like one scene but that's because I imagined it to be a lot worse than it was.
Shitlord.

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #176  (ISO)  » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:50 pm

That seems to be the general consensus
Good effects and acting, lackluster storyline
Get to know a Cakez!

Shiro
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #177  (ISO)  » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:14 pm

I just left from West side Story

It was absolutely brilliant, the acting was I. Greek and the songs in English but it was done very well. Only pet peeve was some accents buuuuut this was my first ever live musical and I had a blast.
To me:
shiro you are a charmer you were obvscum but for some reason people just wouldn't lynch you ~Antihero
About me:
I stg this is how conversations with Lucifer go. ~Papa Zito

gamsimbre
Townie

Post Post #178  (ISO)  » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:26 pm

Finding Neverland came to town, and it was magical! I wonder how the movie compares, but I'd imagine it's just as good.

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #179  (ISO)  » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:23 pm

Going to see Fun Home Sunday
Am hyped
Get to know a Cakez!

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #180  (ISO)  » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:07 pm

We went to Hamilton on Saturday and it was awesome. I was disappointed at first that the Alternate Hamilton was playing, but he was amazing. He's also the understudy to Burr and was apparently playing Burr that night (we went to the matinee). I was thoroughly impressed by almost everyone, and the staging of it added a lot to the play.

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #181  (ISO)  » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:51 pm

I saw Aladdin over the weekend in NYC. The effects were amazing and the comedy was great, but not much of a plot beyond your standard fairytale (which I expected).

Going to see Finding Neverland tonight, excited for that.
Get to know a Cakez!

Nexus
miss

Post Post #182  (ISO)  » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Tickets to the UK Hamilton got
Shitlord.

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #183  (ISO)  » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:16 am

In post 182, Nexus wrote:Tickets to the UK Hamilton got

Awesome!

Drench
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #184  (ISO)  » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:00 am

hey sorry nexus but i'm adding you to my foe list now
join your union

Nexus
miss

Post Post #185  (ISO)  » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:15 am

sry bae.
Shitlord.

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #186  (ISO)  » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:23 am

I wonder if it'll be kind of weird watching it in the UK. Not like "outraged" weird or anything (no doubt King George will be doubly hilarious), but still...

Also, I've only seen it in New York, but I wonder if the schmaltzy "greatest city in the world" thing falls flatter elsewhere.

Nexus
miss

Post Post #187  (ISO)  » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:10 am

Saw Hamlet yesterday afternoon - directed by Kenneth Branagh, starring Tom Hiddleston as Hamlet. It was excellent, but Hiddleston didn't steal the show - Polonius (obv), Ophelia and Claudius were all superbly acted as well.
Shitlord.

drealmerz7
Survivor

Post Post #188  (ISO)  » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:43 am

I've seen a good amount of live performance stuff. I'll briefly talk about the most notables.

I've been to Broadway twice and enjoyed it quite a bit, and am eternally sad I didn't get to see Phantom of the Opera there in the 90s (actually as I type this I am wearing a shirt I got as a gift from someone who did get to go that is quite quite worn at this point and I rarely wear because of its condtion - I probably haven't worn it in over a year.) I saw The King and I with Lou Diamond Phillips was The King and Les Miserables - they were great. No other depiction of Les Miserables that I've seen elsewhere even came close to seeing it live.

I've seen an remarkable small town performance of Our Town.

I've seen Cirque Du Soleil "Quidam", which was literally (actually literally) breathtaking.

and of course I've seen a lot of crap. I saw some truncated version of Macbeth once in a super super tight small venue where there was no way I could leave. It almost made me ill and I had to bug out as soon as it was over.
Last edited by drealmerz7 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balance among all things

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #189  (ISO)  » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:29 pm

My wife really liked dear Evan Hansen when she saw it a couple of weeks ago

Errantparabola
Composed.

Pronoun: She

Post Post #190  (ISO)  » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:19 pm

I've played for a few musicals! Jesus Christ Superstar on a couple occasions, Legally Blonde, and Carrie (the 2012 adaptation). Was always great fun.
I've also heard great things about Dear Evan Hansen.
Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops. --implosion

skitter30
Best Performance: Mafia
Best Performance: Mafia

Pronoun: She

Post Post #191  (ISO)  » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:44 pm

I saw Hamilton last week, and it was fantastic. I also saw Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime a few weeks back.

Nexus
miss

Post Post #192  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:20 am

Saw Hamilton in London. I'll spoiler my thoughts. I'm gonna talk about my views of the cast and the staging, so if you want to go in to see it blind, probably don't click? 
Spoiler:
I had been looking forward to this for nearly two years from when I discovered the soundtrack. From the moment the opening bars of 'Alexander Hamilton', a smile spread across my face and it didn't disappear until the end. I also felt super emotional during 'My Shot', but then when we got to the latter stages of the musical, I was openly weeping and barely pulled myself together to actually leave the theatre (that may tell you more about my mental state than anything, lol). 

The actor who played Hamilton has no West End experience, was a recent RADA graduate and absolutely smashed it. He was so, so good. The way in which he went from being 'meek and mild' as a young man, to him growing in confidence throughout the first act, to being the cocky shit in the Cabinet Battles and then the heart wrenching emotion of his downfall, he was absolutely superb. I also really enjoyed Burr - a lot of people sympathise with Burr from the soundtrack from my experience, but I think that the actor who played Burr did an excellent job of showing his jealousy and change from wanting to do the best thing to doing what was best for him. My partner said she disliked his version of 'Wait for it,' but I really, really enjoyed it. The supporting cast of Lafayette, Laurens and Mulligan were great - Lafayette's actor was even better when the second act came along - his Jefferson had me laughing along with the rest of the audience. George Washington felt like he had gravitas - I'm not a massive fan of Washington's songs in the Broadway soundtrack, but really enjoyed them in the theatre.

My favourite song is 'Satisfied' so I was a little apprehensive to hear how Angelica was performed - I didn't need to worry because she was awesome. Eliza was a bit disappointing during 'Helpless', but I do think she improved during the second act and 'Burn' went better than I expected it to based on her Act One performance. Peggy was good but she was a great Maria Reynolds - they laid the 'Scarlet Lady' motif quite thick but it was really good. The ensemble was of course great, and King George was superb as a petulant, yet hilarious King with his mannerisms. 

The staging was obviously top drawer, but there were a lot of visual effects and lighting that I didn't know about so was surprised and happy about. Choreography was fantastic and the theatre itself is beautiful.

It genuinely was one of the best things I've ever seen, and I am still sat here with a smile on my face, slightly emosh about what I saw and how much I enjoyed it. I'm going again in February so that'll be super. 

As an aside - the ticketless system was super - we were efficiently ushered in. We got in at 6.15 but they didn't open the doors to the auditorium until 7 so there was a bit of a wait, but it was good natured.
Shitlord.

Equinox
Shot Count

Post Post #193  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:25 am

Thanks to a friend getting free tickets, I saw An American in Paris. The performance itself was amazing. I hadn't seen the movie, so I didn't expect there to be nearly as much dancing as there was in the production, but apparently what this show did better than the film was focusing on the characters and the story. The central plot was about a guy not taking "no" for an answer until the girl fell for him, which didn't sit well with me, but the other characters were well-done. My only other quibble is that Act II dragged somewhat relative to Act I, but it was still enjoyable nonetheless.

As a side note, many DC theatre venues offer discounted tickets for people under 30-35, and this is the best thing ever.
revise and resubmit

TwoInAMillion
Mafia Scum

Post Post #194  (ISO)  » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:29 am

I want to see Les Miserables in Denver in June, need to wait for my tax return probably.

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #195  (ISO)  » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:20 pm

For those who are super in the know on theater, maybe you can offer your thoughts. I'm going to NYC with my family in december. Need some suggestions. I've already seen Hamilton, Book of Mormon, Wicked (on the national tour) and Dear Evan Hansen. Most of my family has done Kinky Boots. My wife's already done the Sweeny Todd in the pie shop and Sleep No More and she's doing the Alice in Wonderland one (Then She Fell). I've looked at The Band's Visit, but it looks pretty boring (willing to be disabused of that!). We could do Harry Potter, but the two show requirement makes it more difficult to find time to do what I like to do best in new york (i.e. eat). Trying to convince my parents they want to see Springsteen on Broadway enough they want to buy us tickets (as secondhand they're outrageously expensive). Any thoughts? I'm sad that the magic show In and of Itself is over, so might try to go to some other magic show.

Nexus
miss

Post Post #196  (ISO)  » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Harry Potter is really good, if you are a fan.

I went to see Tamburlaine at the Stratford Swan Theatre on Saturday, it was quite good. It's a Marlowe play so it's Elizabethan, and it was very male-power-fantasy. Obviously not on par with Shakespeare, but still a decent night's entertainment.
Shitlord.

zoraster
Consigliere

Post Post #197  (ISO)  » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:35 pm

I was a fan of the books, but hated the last chapter of the last book -- which this kind of builds on, right?

Nexus
miss

Post Post #198  (ISO)  » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:49 pm

In post 197, zoraster wrote:I was a fan of the books, but hated the last chapter of the last book -- which this kind of builds on, right?

Sort of. It's been described as bad fan fiction, but I think as a spectacle it is superb.
Shitlord.

ManateeDude
Goon

Post Post #199  (ISO)  » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:14 am

I saw Wicked recently, first big show I have ever remembered. It was absolutely fantastic. Lighting, staging, acting, singing and choreo met and surpassed my standards, even though I was in the second last row.

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion