"Happy holidays" is bullshit Christian normativity.

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
eagerSnake
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1575 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:50 am

Post by eagerSnake »

"What's truly religious lol"

I'm not even going to grace that with a real response as I think I've explained this twice already.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1576 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:06 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 1563, eagerSnake wrote:
In post 1562, Accountant wrote:
In post 1560, eagerSnake wrote:But from my experiences, people simply can't be trusted
you think people can't be trusted not to commit murder? or?
People can't be trusted for anything.

Yeah, if I had a million USD in cash, I wouldn't trust anyone NOT to murder me for it. Of course I'm not going to walk around with that much money anyway.

But that's a hyperbole and on the very extreme end of the spectrum. I'm talking more about being lazy, lying, cheating, being lustful, stealing, discriminating, etc. You just can't trust people not to do these things. Religious or not.
i liked your posts but this is textbook cynicism
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
eagerSnake
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1577 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:14 am

Post by eagerSnake »

If by cynicism you mean an inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; you're right. That's very close to how I see it. "Religious" or not, I'd say most people are like that. (Quotes because those who are like that aren't really religious IMO)

I'd say that anyone who sees otherwise is either too optimistic and trusting, or they haven't had enough experience with enough people, or they simply have been much luckier when it comes to the people they've encountered than I have.

Pedit: By the way, what's the difference between Nonreligious, Atheist, and Agnostic. Seems like a useless difference like that between Baptist, Methodist, and Christian.
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1578 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:36 am

Post by -Grey- »

In post 1577, eagerSnake wrote:Pedit: By the way, what's the difference between Nonreligious, Atheist, and Agnostic.
Agnostic are neutral in their view. They neither believe nor disbelieve in God.

Atheists actively disbelieve in the existence of God.

Nonreligious isn't even a word.
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
"You type like a Bond villain." - DogWatch
eagerSnake
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1579 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:40 am

Post by eagerSnake »

In post 1578, -Grey- wrote:
In post 1577, eagerSnake wrote:Pedit: By the way, what's the difference between Nonreligious, Atheist, and Agnostic.

Really? I remember a survey where more people chose "nonreligious" than either atheist or agnostic. Lol.
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1580 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:46 am

Post by -Grey- »

In post 1579, eagerSnake wrote:
In post 1578, -Grey- wrote:

Really? I remember a survey where more people chose "nonreligious" than either atheist or agnostic. Lol.
It's just an ignorant way of saying "not religious".
“Trust is an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.” - Dahrk (Arrow, Season 4)
---
"-grey- would hardclaim an inno on his obv-scum partner D2 in a micro if he could" - gigabyteTroubadour
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1581 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:46 am

Post by Accountant »

Nonreligious means you have no religion but aren't uncertain about supernatural forces or firmly convinced that there aren't. Someone who believed in the Force or universal ki or chakra but didn't practice any religious things would be nonreligious

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1582 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:47 am

Post by Davsto »

It depends how you interpret it - an "atheist" doesn't believe in a deity, so a Buddhist would be an atheist but still religious.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1583 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:49 am

Post by Accountant »

I think if we had some kind of zen master who's talking about karma and the universal life force and being one with the iris - that kind of person should be distinct from an atheist scientist

eagerSnake
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1584 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:51 am

Post by eagerSnake »

Mind = blown.
-Grey-
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
-Grey-
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1585 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:01 am

Post by -Grey- »

In post 1583, Accountant wrote:I think if we had some kind of zen master who's talking about karma and the universal life force and being one with the iris - that kind of person should be distinct from an atheist scientist
They are, it's called "spiritual".
---
eagerSnake
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1586 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:06 am

Post by eagerSnake »

If I had to pick one group of people to trust, it'd probably be Tibetan Monks. Even if I don't agree with them on some things, I think they're probably the best bet as far as trust goes. Plus they're harmless. If they don't agree with you, they light THEMSELVES on fire, not you.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #1587 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:09 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 1578, -Grey- wrote:Atheists actively disbelieve in the existence of God.
I actively don't collect stamps.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1588 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:18 am

Post by Accountant »

In post 1586, eagerSnake wrote:If I had to pick one group of people to trust, it'd probably be Tibetan Monks. Even if I don't agree with them on some things, I think they're probably the best bet as far as trust goes. Plus they're harmless. If they don't agree with you, they light THEMSELVES on fire, not you.
Generalization

eagerSnake
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1589 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:20 am

Post by eagerSnake »

Yeah it is. I can't exactly go through and interview every one of them and speak to each one individually.

Pedit: Although I wish I could. From what I've heard, they are extremely intelligent people. All that meditating I guess helps them control their brain waves so they can create more Gamma (I think?) waves than the rest of us, on demand.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1590 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:23 am

Post by Accountant »

But you can interview the people in your life - such as the people you are thinking about promoting to a higher position in your company.

I hear this is a popular practuce

eagerSnake
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1591 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:32 am

Post by eagerSnake »

Yeah I'm constantly interviewing those people- whether they realize it or not- and they're constantly failing.

And I just realized over 20 million people claim to be Tibetan Buddhist Monks so let me clarify that I'm talking about the sherpas that live up in the Himalayan Mountains in the monasteries
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1592 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:18 am

Post by implosion »

In post 1577, eagerSnake wrote:Pedit: By the way, what's the difference between Nonreligious, Atheist, and Agnostic. Seems like a useless difference like that between Baptist, Methodist, and Christian.
A better answer is that these words don't mean strictly different things all of the time and, like many labels, if someone tells you "I'm an atheist" it could mean a broad variety of things.
Generally
Agnostic means "I don't know/I'm not sure", Atheist means "I don't believe in gods" and nonreligious means "I don't practice religion" and these could be descriptive in various ways (you could have someone who's culturally religious and practices religion because they see value in the tradition but does not hold belief, or someone who believes in a god but not one from any organized religion, etc).

I would say that some atheists do "actively not believe in gods" in the sense that they enjoy putting their lack of beliefs to the test through debate. This is, however, a generalization and still not entirely accurate (as KK alluded to).

Anyway. To me trust is just a matter of how well I've gotten to know someone. I just have friends who I think I've gotten to know well enough that they wouldn't act selfishly to my detriment without good reasons. I could always be wrong of course but -shrug-. I do like to look for the good in people. I don't specifically trust random people on the street to not commit selfish immoral acts but I don't particularly expect them to.
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1593 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 1591, eagerSnake wrote:Yeah I'm constantly interviewing those people- whether they realize it or not- and they're constantly failing.
Maybe the issue is that you're surrounding yourself with horrible people?

Garmr
Garmr
Survivor
Garmr
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1594 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:48 am

Post by Garmr »

In post 1593, Accountant wrote:
In post 1591, eagerSnake wrote:Yeah I'm constantly interviewing those people- whether they realize it or not- and they're constantly failing.
Or maybe your definition of horrible is to broad and your generalizing some nice people out there?
eagerSnake
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
eagerSnake
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1595 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:19 pm

Post by eagerSnake »

Or maybe it's just a planet of the apes. "It's a madhouse! A madhouse!"
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1596 (ISO) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:45 pm

Post by T S O »

After my ban for comments in this thread, I would like to reiterate just how sorry I am that I may have implied that TSQ was bullied mercilessly for years because of anything other than his religion. I would also like to profusely apologise for my ruminations on TSQ's mental state and general personality. I am, once again, so sorry.
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1597 (ISO) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Post by Accountant »

In post 1594, Garmr wrote:
In post 1593, Accountant wrote:
Or maybe your definition of horrible is to broad and your generalizing some nice people out there?
eagerSnake said they were surrounded by untrustworthy people that they wouldn't trust not to stab them in the back if they thought they could get away with it and could gain something from it

Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1598 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:10 am

Post by Who »

I would like to use this thread to complain about the word "merry". It's archaic and only used with relation to Christmas. From modern usage, "Merry Christmas" effectively means "Christmassy Christmas". Switch to a better holiday greeting, switch to "Happy Christmas". Or "Happy Holidays". Both are good. But stop using "merry", it's an archaic word and should just be forgotten.

Also Happy Christmas Mafiascum.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #1599 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:15 am

Post by Annadog40 »

I find it strange when people change lyrics to Christmas music to make it more inclusive.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.

Return to “General Discussion”